MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Guess Who ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Netto liked to sleep in during the summer. In fact, it was by far, his favorite thing to do. He could just blissfully sleep for hours on end without anyone waking him up. Even Rockman, his blue clad, green eyed, navi left him alone on such peaceful summer days. Of course, after three weeks, his routine was taking its affect and leaving Netto in a constant half asleep state. Not that it mattered; for once Neo WWW had taken a break and not terrorized anyone for awhile. Though Rockman was starting to get a bit nervous, he felt that Netto and Enzan deserved the break.
 
Three weeks of sleeping in felt great, if only it would last.
 
Haruka was cooking dinner one night in late June. She hummed as she cooked while Netto was lying on the couch reading his manga. Haruka stopped stirring for a second and looked thoughtful. “Netto, I just wanted to remind you that your Aunt Sakura and your cousin Maki-chan are coming over for a few weeks this summer.”
 
Netto looked up from his book not really hearing what him mom just said. “Mmm?”
 
“Maki-chan and Aunt Sakura?” Rockman asked
 
Haruka nodded. “Yes, my sister and her daughter. They try to come over at least once a year since the divorce. My sister tends to get lonely.”
 
“Ah, then how come I haven't seen them?” asked Rockman
 
“Sakura didn't come last year because she felt that Maki needed time to get ready for school.”
 
Rockman gave a thought to the previous statement. “So she's five?”
 
Haruka nodded. “Yes, and from what I've heard, she's been quite a handful this year.”
 
Netto gave half an ear to the conversation and continued to read his book.
 
“Netto-kun, what are your thoughts?” asked Rockman, wanting to know his twin's input.
 
Netto shrugged. “Well, Maki-chan is nice and all, but we're not going to be here often once net crime picks back up.”
 
Rockman looked down. “Oh, yeah.” He said softly
 
Haruka shook her head. “You're Maki-chan's baby sitter, Netto. I'm going to help my sister try to de-stress this year. Taking care of a child by your self can be exhausting.”
 
Netto looked up from his book alarmed. “Mama! I can't take Maki-chan on a mission with me!” he said loudly.
 
Haruka shook her head. “Netto, you know that it's your duty to take care of Maki when your aunt comes over. My poor sister needs some time alone; besides, it's only for a few weeks. Hopefully the nice peace will hold up until then?”
 
Netto sighed. “I hope so.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto smiled into his pillow, dreaming about the ultimate curry dinner. A huge banquet was laid before him with many different dishes waiting to be eaten. The feast was even more grand then the one at Namaste.
 
Downstairs the door slammed and Rockman could hear voices. Then he heard something that sounded like running feet.
 
The spiced were blended perfectly and the rice was cooked to perfection. When he picked up the first spoonful he could smell the spicy taste coming off the spoon.
 
The running feet came closer and closer, pounding up the stairs in quick anticipation. To Rockman, it almost seemed like whoever was climbing up the stairs was trying to fly rather than walk.
 
Netto lifted the spoon to his lips; he could almost taste how good the curry was……
 
“NETTO-CHAN!” screamed a small high pitched voice.
 
The door flew open and slammed into the adjacent wall jerking Netto out of his wonderful dream. Netto blearily opened one eye to glare at his intruder.
 
Rockman looked too, but with more interest than Netto. The girl was short and small, with big brown eyes and spiky brown hair. She looked a disturbing amount like Netto. Her short hair was pulled into two pigtails, one on either side of her head and bangs hovered just above her eyes. Small wisps of hair that couldn't be held up by her hair ties rested at the base of her neck. She was wearing bright pink overalls over a light blue t-shirt. On the front pocket of her overalls was the Hikari insignia.
 
She jumped up and down in his room making a small thumping sound. Rockman's eyes followed her bouncing movements until he almost felt dizzy.
 
“Good morning, Netto-chan. Guess what! Mommy and I are here for a whooooooole month! Isn't that great!”
 
Now Netto had never been one to be a morning person and this morning was no different, family or not. So instead he turned over and pulled the covers over his head.
 
“NETTO-CHAN!” Maki ran across the room and pounced on her cousin.
Netto groaned and refused to stir. He had earned his vacation and he was going to take one, damnit!
 
Maki scowled as she sat on her cousin who was currently drifting back into slumber land. No one would ignore her and get away with it! She looked at the lump in the bed and reached down. She found what she though was his stomach and started to tickle him.
 
Netto started to squirm and laugh trying to push his cousin off of him. As his laughs grew louder Rockman started to feel a faint sensation on his stomach. Finally Netto turned over and rolled off the bed, tumbling to the floor with his cousin. He landed first and Maki landed on top of his stomach knocking the air out of him.
 
“Oof…”
 
“Netto-kun, are you all right?” asked Rockman
 
It was at that moment when Maki noticed Rockman, in all of his navi glory.
 
“Netto-chan has a net navi now!” said Maki squealing and running over to Netto's PC.
 
Netto sat up trying to regain his breath. “Yes, I got second place in the N1 Grand Prix. Mom sent Aunt Sakura an e-mail.”
 
“Well I was only 3 then, duh!”
 
Netto sighed and rubbed the back of his head. “Well, you two get to know each other while I go get dressed.” He said grabbing his clothes and heading out the door.
 
“Hi! I'm Maki, what's your name?”
 
Rockman looked at her a brief look of puzzlement passed his eyes before he answered. “My name is Rockman.”
 
“Rockman? That's a funny name.” she laughed, “So, when did you meet Netto-chan?”
 
“Two years ago, when he was 11. Ou… His father gave me to him to help keep him out of trouble.”
 
Maki laughed again. “Mama says that Netto could never stay out of trouble. She said I'm a lot like him in that way.”
 
Rockman smiled. “Well that's true, Netto is a handful.”
 
“So, you have a girlfriend?” she asked
 
“W-what?”
 
“Well, I was wondering if navi's can have girlfriends.”
 
“Y-yes, I mean. Yes, navi's can have girlfriends but I don't have one.”
 
“Oh, that's too bad. So… do you like anyone?”
 
Rockman turned bright red and opened his mouth; but no words came out so he closed it. Just then Netto came into the room tying his messy brown hair back with his bandana.
 
/Thank you Netto-kun. Your cousin is very curious./
 
/Yeah, be careful, she can really tear into someone./
 
/You don't need to tell me THAT twice./
 
“Netto-chan, can we go play?”
 
“Well, if mom and Aunt Sakura say its okay I can take you to the park.”
 
“YATTA!” Maki threw up her hands and bounded down the stairs two at a time. “Mommy, mommy! Netto-chan said he would take me to the park! Can I go, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeease?” Maki drew out the last `please' as long as she could.
 
“I don't see why not.” Said Sakura, smiling.
 
“WHOOO!” the hyper five year old ran out of the room, too the door and started tugging on her shoes. It was then that Netto finally emerged from his room and started to walk down the stairs. He looked at Maki and gave a short laugh as he walked towards the door. On his way over his Aunt touched his elbow.
 
“Thank you Netto-kun. I appreciate what you're doing.”
 
Netto blushed and rubbed the back of his head. “No… it's really nothing.”
 
“Netto-chan, lets GO!” said Maki, standing by the door.
 
“All right, I'm coming.” Said Netto
 
Netto sat down on the hard wood floor and started to tug on his orange shoes. Netto's mother stood up and brushed off her skirt.
 
“Well, I think I'm going to take Sakura out for a little shopping. Can you kids handle yourselves without us?”
 
“Yes!” said Netto and Maki in unison.
 
“All right. Netto, I'm trusting you.” Said Haruka
 
Netto nodded.
 
“See you kids soon!”
 
Netto and Maki went outside, or in Maki's case, ran to the nearby park. Maybe the summer wouldn't be so bad after all.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Maki ran into the park as fast as she could and immediately ran to the swing set. She pushed herself onto one of the swings and gave a few futile attempts to pump her legs. When she failed in propelling herself she turned to plan B.
 
“Push me!” she yelled loudly.
 
Netto had just walked into the park not bothering to run after his cousin. The park was only across the street and not really worth running to, when he could see Maki perfectly fine. He saw her jump onto a swing and wave her legs haphazardly as he came into the park. Of course it took his brain a few seconds to register the command, him being Netto and all.
 
“Huh?”
 
“PUSH ME!” she screamed; louder than the last time.
 
Three mothers looked up from playing with their children to see where the disruption was coming from. When they saw Netto and the five year old girl they shook their heads. Netto laughed nervously and went over to his cousin.
 
“Maki-chan, please don't scream.” He said coming up behind her and putting his hands on her back, starting with a little push.
 
“'Kay!” she said in her normal tone of voice. Netto continued to push her on the swing and kept her at what he thought was a reasonable height.
 
/My arms are getting tired./ Netto thought/said to his brother.
 
/Well you were the one who wanted to take her to the park./ Rockman pointed out.
 
/Uh, no. If I'm not mistaken, she ran upstairs this morning and attacked me. Which you did nothing to stop, by the way./
 
/Well, if mama let her in then I couldn't lock her out, could I?/
/I could have helped you with it./ said Netto thoughtfully.
 
/Netto-kun! That's not ni…./
 
“Higher!” squealed Maki, pulling the brothers out of their mental “chat”.
 
“Maki-chan, if I pushed you any higher you could get hurt.” Said Netto, who knew Maki's love of jumping off swings.
 
“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?” she asked, the sound of her voice grew louder and softer with the rock of the swing. This made the plea even more annoying then normal and was starting to give Netto a headache.
 
“Maki-chan, this is as high as I'll push you. If you want to go higher then learn how to swing on your own.” Said Netto through gritted teeth.
 
Maki was quiet for a few more pushed as she pondered Netto's words. “Then why don't you teach me?” she said brightly.
 
“What?”
 
Maki said slowly, trying to make the idea as simple as possible for her cousin. “If you teach me to swing, then I can go higher. So teach me.”
 
/Should I?/ Netto asked Rockman
 
/Well it couldn't hurt. Maybe it will tire her out too./
 
/Maki-chan, tired? Have you ever been around 5 year olds?/
 
/I've been around you for almost two years./ Replied Rockman with a hint of a smile, even though Netto couldn't see it.
 
/Hey!/
 
“Well?” Maki asked, starting to get impatient.
 
Netto sighed. He was still wary of Maki's tendencies and really didn't want her to jump off the swing when he wasn't looking. But the mom's had started to look in his direction again making him sweatdrop. `Geeze, can't they mind their own business?' he thought to himself.
 
“Please Netto-chan?” asked Maki, making her eyes as big as she could.
 
Netto looked at her and sighed. He was never affected by her begging but the annoyance factor was what got to him. He could only stand a five year old's whiny voice for so long.
“Fine, just stop your swing, and don't jump off!” he said quickly as she prepared to do just that.
 
Maki stuck out her lower lip in a pout and dragged her feet on the ground making the swing stop. Then she pulled herself back into the seat and sat waiting.
 
Netto sat in the swing next to her and waited for her to get situated. Then she looked up at him. “Ready?” he asked.
 
Maki nodded, making her brown pigtails bounce up and down. Netto pushed back the swing with his feet to as far as he could go on tiptoe.
 
“First you need to get a starting push.” He said jumping up and letting his swing go forward. Maki followed suit and managed to get some forward momentum, but not as much as Netto's.
 
“Okay.” She yelled
 
“Then put your legs together.” Said Netto, trying to break down the swinging process as much as he could. For something he could do as long as he could remember, it was hard to tell someone else how to do it. Maki, on her part, was listening to everything her cousin said and had put her legs together.
 
“Then when the swing goes back, let your legs go back, and when it goes forward, let your legs go forward. If you do it right the swing will go up and down on its own.”
 
Maki tried this and was unable to get the rhythm the first few tries. But soon she was pushing the swing on her own and going higher by herself. Netto saw that Maki was doing fine on her own, so he dragged his feet into the ground to make the swing stop. Then he got off and went over to one of the benches.
 
“Well, at least she's not yelling anymore.” Said Rockman
 
“Thank god.” Said Netto
 
They sat watching Maki swing for about 10 minutes. Netto was beginning to wonder if she was getting sick of swinging that much when his PET beeped.
 
“Netto-kun, it's a video call from Mejin-san.” Said Rockman
 
“Please, please tell me this isn't a mission.” Said Netto softly, sending up a soft prayer to anyone who would listen.
 
“Hello Netto-kun.” Said Mejin as his face appeared on the screen.
 
Maki, who had patiently been waiting for Netto's attention to be diverted, took the opportunity to get her self ready. As soon as she saw him look at his PET she immediately prepared to jump off the swing.
 
“Mejin-san, I can't do anything right now. I'm babysitting my younger cousin.”
 
Mejin sweatdropped. “Babysitting? Netto-kun, this is important. Neo WWW has just unleashed an attack on a sci-labs warehouse.”
 
“Can't Enza….” Netto looked up from his PET to give Maki a quick glance. He saw what she was about to do and quickly sprang to his feet. “Maki-chan, don't!” he yelled as he ran over.
 
Maki let her self fly from the swing, only she let go a little too high. She quickly lost control of her fall and let out a scream as she plummeted towards the earth. She shut her eyes tightly then felt herself wrapped tightly in someone arms.
 
Netto sprinted towards his cousin with his PET in hand making the picture blurry and Mejin slightly sick. Netto saw Maki turn through mid air and quickly dived forwards so he could catch her in time. He grabbed Maki in mid air and half turned so that she landed on him without any hurt.
 
One of the mothers came over to see if they were okay with her 3 year old right behind.
 
“Are you okay, young man?” she asked
 
Netto groaned, his head spinning with what had happened in such little time. First Mejin then Maki…. And…… Mejin!
 
Netto pulled himself into a sitting position with Maki in his lap. He looked up at the woman who had just come over and nodded. “I'm fine, don't worry.”
 
“That was quite a save there young man. Though you should be a bit more careful next time, young lady.” She said turning her gaze towards Maki.
 
Maki nodded her big eyes filling with tears. Netto patted Maki on the head and Maki buried her face in Netto's chest. “She'll be all right.” Said Netto to the lady.
 
“Take care.” She said taking her child's hand and walking away.
 
Mejin watched all of this from his current position on the ground. He looked over Netto's cousin and was amazed at how much she looked like she could be Netto's younger sister. Mejin saw the woman walk away and cleared his throat.
 
Netto looked down at his PET that he had dropped in his frantic catch. “Sorry, Mejin-san.” Netto said apologetically.
 
“The “san” is not needed.” Said Mejin. “Anyways, you need to go there quickly, I'm not sure how much time we have left.”
 
“What about Enzan?” asked Netto
 
“Enzan is currently at another location. It seems that this is a double attack. I'm sorry, but I have to ask you to go.”
 
“I can't take a 5 year old with me on a mission!” Netto said loudly.
 
“Don't worry, Neo WWW is gone, they have been for hours. We don't know what they took and I want you to find out.”
 
“And you didn't say this in the beginning, why?” asked Netto a little irritated.
 
“Because your cousin decided to play “Trapeze artist”, now please hurry up before the trail gets so cold we can't do anything.”
 
“On my way, Mejin-san!” Said Netto, then the screen went blank.
 
Mejin looked at his dark computer and sighed. “The “san” is not needed.” He said to no one in particular.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto looked at the map and saw that the warehouse was a fair distance from where he and Maki currently were. Netto sighed, so much for possibly leaving Maki at home.
 
“Netto-chan, who was that?” Maki asked.
 
“That was Mejin-san, we need to go somewhere so I can do a favor for him.” Netto said, trying to make the idea as simplistic as possible.
 
“Why?”
 
“Because. That's why.” Said Netto, finalizing the conversation.
 
“Oh.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Netto led Maki back to his house where he grabbed his skates and a snack for Maki. Last time he left the house without anything to eat, Maki had thrown a fit for 30 minutes. Granted, she was three, but he still didn't want that to happen again.
 
After all his preparations were done Netto looked around the house to make sure he didn't forget anything. Maki grabbed Netto's sleeve and tugged on it. “Hey, Netto-chan, are we going to this place or not?”
 
“Yeah, we're going. Come on.” Netto knelt down to let Maki on his back, which she did with a running leap and a ten point landing, almost knocking Netto over. “Oof…. Geez, you're not that light out know.” Said a slightly annoyed Netto.
 
“Is Netto-chan gonna skate?” asked Maki
 
“Yes. I'm gonna skate….”
 
“YAY!” Maki hugged Netto, cutting off his oxygen supply.
 
“If you let me breathe.” Netto finished.
 
Maki let go and Netto went outside, pulling on his skate blades one at a time. “Okay, hold on.” He said and skated towards the aforementioned area. Maki squealed and held on to Netto tightly grinning like crazy.
 
“Maki-chan, loosen up, I still need to breathe you know.” Netto said
 
Maki loosened her grip around Netto's neck. One block ahead was a very large hill. Maki whispered something into Netto's ear that Rockman couldn't hear. Netto nodded and grinned, then he skated straight for the large hill.
 
“Netto-kun, what are you-AHHHH!” Netto skated over the hill and was currently going down it as fast as he could. Maki was laughing and Netto was grinning, Rockman felt like he wanted to throw up. At the bottom of the hill Netto coasted to a gentle stop. “Was that fun Maki-chan?” he asked. Netto got a big hug in response.
 
“Netto-kun, you are insane.” Said Rockman
 
Netto giggled. “Yeah, whatever. Come on, we're not to far away.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Netto pulled out his PET to get a better look at the map. He skated along the exact specifications and came up to a large, empty looking warehouse. “Well, we're here.” He said looking up from the PET to gaze at the warehouse.
 
“Yay!” Maki jumped off of Netto's back and started to run into the building. Netto grabbed her overalls and pulled her back.
 
“Hold on, Maki-chan.” Netto pushed the release and pulled off his skates. Then he leaned down to Maki's eye level. “Okay, I need you to promise me two things while we're in there. One, you won't make a sound. No talking, got it?” Maki nodded. “Two, stay with me at all times, I don't want you wandering off.”
 
“Why?” asked Maki
 
“Uhhhh…” Netto couldn't think of an answer.
 
“Because it's a game!” said Rockman. “If you win the game you'll get a prize at the end.”
 
“I will?” she asked excitedly.
 
/She will?/ Netto asked
 
/At least it will keep her quiet./ said Rockman
 
/Ah, yes. Good idea, nii-san./
 
“Yes, you will.” Said Netto. “But remember the rules. No talking and you have to stay with me the entire time, starting now.” Maki nodded and grabbed Netto's hand. Netto turned around and led his cousin into the building.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
“Well, they did send the brat after all. Looks like he has a little friend with him as well.” Said Videoman looking down at the two through a window.
 
“It doesn't matter, as long as we get what we need.” Said Narcy giving a `Oh, ho ho ho.' Laugh at the end.
 
“Don't forget what we came here for.” Said Suyanama, tipping his hat. “We want the blueprints of sci-labs and Net Savior HQ before anything else.”
 
“Don't worry, if anyone would know, it would be that kid.” Said Videoman, grinning.
 
Narcy shrugged. “I still say we just look for it. He doesn't know we're here and every time we fight him we loose.”
 
“Well, then maybe we should try a different tactic.” Said Suyanama
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto led Maki into the back of the warehouse where the main computer was stored. He held out his PET and plugged in Rockman. Maki watched with interest but didn't say anything.
 
“Okay Rockman, can you sense any forced links?” Netto asked
 
“Nope, sorry Netto-kun. The computer is clean, you might have to search for physical clues.”
 
“Maybe they didn't come here at all?” Netto wondered.
 
“Nope, the silent alarm was definitely triggered. I just can't tell by what.” Netto opened his mouth. “And no, it wasn't a program. They have alarm immunity.”
 
“Well, then what about used links? Has any data been through them lately.”
 
“Let me check.” Rockman scanned all currently opened links. “No data file large enough to be a navi has gone through here. Netto-kun, I think they might have used dimensional chips.”
 
“Why would they do that? Isn't what they want on the computer?”
 
“I don't know, Netto-kun.”
 
Maki started to pull on Netto's sleeve. “Not now Maki-chan. We're trying to figure this out.” Maki just increased the speed and pulled harder. “Maki-chan, stop please.” Said Netto. Maki made a little squeaking sound that made Netto look down at her. She was gazing in horror directly behind Netto.
 
“You know, maybe you should listen to her.” Said Videoman.