MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Someone is Going to Die ❯ Fitting ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Uhhh, thanks…” said Netto
 
/Netto-kun, Enzan-san told you to change your voice./ Rockman said
 
Netto made a face when the girl turned her back. /How?/
 
/I don't know, just try./
 
Kira turned around with the brown part of the dress. “For starters please put this on.” She said. Netto blushed and looked at her. “There's a dressing room in the back.” She said laughing.
 
“Ah, thank you.” Said Netto fluctuating his voice. He walked into the back and got undressed. /Was that okay?/ he asked while putting the dress on.
 
/I guess so. You might want to work on it though./ said Rockman
 
/Yeah, right./ Netto said sarcastically.
 
Netto pulled at the skirt trying to make it turn right, but it didn't seem to want to move. The fabric twisted around his legs as he vainly tried to move in it.
 
He heard a knock on the door and he had his silent battle with the dress. “Hikaru-chan, are you all right in there?”
“Uhhh, yeah, just give me a minute.” He called back. Two minutes later he managed to get untangled from the skirts clutches and he emerged from the room.
 
Kira clapped her hands together. “There's the young lady! You look very nice.”
 
Netto blushed scarlet and wandered over to where Kira was.
 
“Please step up here.” She said motioning to the stool next to her. Netto obliged and stepped up.
 
Kira started to pin different parts of the dress making it tighter or looser as she went around. “I must say, I could have sworn you were a boy when you came in here, but the dress makes you look very nice.” Netto's blush deepened even more and he looked straight ahead. “Is this a first time for getting fitted, dear?” Kira asked
 
“Yes.” Netto said trying not to talk.
 
“Well, Enzan-sama's never gone anywhere with a girl before, you're very lucky. How did you meet him?”
 
“I, uhhhh, met him through net-battling. We've had a few matches and stuff.” Said Netto; trying not to stutter.
 
“Oh? So you net battle. Is that you're navi in the computer. The cute blue one?”
 
“Yes, my name is Rockman.” Said Rockman to spare Netto any more conversation then he had to.
 
“My, my, what a way for a lady to meet a guy; but I guess that's how it is nowadays.” She went behind Netto and started to pull at the fabric around his waist. “Do you like him?”
 
“What!?” Netto asked
 
“Do you like Enzan-sama?” she said slower
 
“No, I mean; we're just friends.” Netto said quickly.
 
“Hmmmm…” Kira sounded unconvinced.
 
“Ummm, why are you pulling that so tight?” Netto motioned to the fabric Kira was still pulling.
 
“To show off you're figure. You're very fit, but you don't seem to have much bust. Not surprising since you're 12 after all, but we do want to look our best while at the ball. Not to mention possibly impressing someone.” Kira winked.
 
Netto started to blush again at the word “bust” but when she mentioned impressing someone, and by that he knew she meant Enzan, his face looked like he had just run the mile.
 
/Netto-kun, are you okay?/ Rockman asked
 
/I can't breathe./ Said Netto. /It's too tight./
 
/You mean, you're not just embarrassed?/ Rockman teased.
 
/Rock, I'm not kidding, it's getting very hard to breathe./ said Netto, starting to squirm.
 
“Hikaru-sama, please stop moving, you're making this very difficult.” Kira said with pins in her mouth.
 
Netto tried to stand still but he found he couldn't. The more he tried the more he wanted to move, and the more he moved the harder it got to breathe.
 
/Uhhhh, Netto-kun, how about I go check on Enzan?/ Rockman said, wondering if letting him know how Enzan's was going might make Netto feel better.
 
/Okay, go ahead./ said Netto, his mental voice sounding a bit strained to Rockman.
 
So, with Netto's okay, Rockman went into the second computer link to find Blues standing looking out the picture link. Rockman followed his gaze to see Enzan standing on a chair the same way Netto was, also looking very uncomfortable.
 
“Hello Rockman.” Said Blues; without turning around.
 
“Hey Blues. How's Enzan-san doing?” Rockman asked politely.
 
“Enzan-sama seems to be doing fine.” Said Blues
 
“I've done this kind of thing before, unfortunately.” Said Enzan “How's Net… I mean, Hikaru holding up.”
 
“H.. Er, she's not doing as well as you are. It's kinda hard for her to stand still.” Talking about Netto as a girl was just plain weird to Rockman.
 
/And it's impossible to breathe in this thing./ muttered Netto, who was listening in on the conversation.
 
“She also said it's kinda hard to breathe.” Rockman said laughing a little at Netto's expense.
 
Enzan smiled. “I don't doubt it.” He said quietly.
 
“Is your costume fitting okay, Enzan-sama?” asked the girl who was currently pinning the costume together.
 
“Yes, Erica-san, it's fitting just fine.” He said, a little strained.
 
Erica beamed and continued to work.
 
“Enzan-sama has been coming here for awhile, his mom used to get her dresses from this place.” Said Blues quietly. “So everyone here knows him and his father. He's not always nice to the people here, but Erica-san never really had much confidence, so he tries to go a little farther for her.”
 
/Yeah, well, who knew Enzan had a heart?/ said Netto
 
/Netto-kun, hush./ said Rockman. Rockman then smiled out to Enzan and Blues, “I think I'm going to go back to Hikaru-kun, she probably needs some moral support.”
 
/Shut up Rockman./ said Netto
 
/Now, now, you need support remember?/ said Rockman as he came over to the first computer.
 
/Psh, I currently need no more support from any of you considering it's because of you I'm here. I've had all the help I need, thanks./
 
Rockman laughed as he came into the computer, his laugh abruptly sounding in the room.
 
“Welcome back, Rockman-san.” Said Kira cheerfully.
 
“Thank you.” Said Rockman; cheerfully out of the screen.
 
“You're almost done Hikaru-sama. Just a few more minutes then you can take it off.” Kira said, finally realizing Netto's lack of comfort. Netto nodded and miraculously stayed still for the last few minutes. “All right Hikaru-sama. Go ahead in the back and take off the dress, when you're done hand it to me so I can finish it.” Netto nodded and went to the back to take off the dress.
 
As Netto wrestled with the dress and pins, desperately trying not to stab himself, Enzan came into the room. He went to the back and knocked on the door. “Hey, Hikaru, you almost done in there?”
 
“Mphmmphm…” Netto's face was currently stuck in the folds of the fabric.
 
“Well, when you're done playing around meet me out in the hall.”
 
/Oh, he's gonna pay for that!/ said Netto
 
/Netto, just calm down and get out of the dress./ said Rockman, the always lost, voice of reason.
 
Netto didn't hear Rockman's advice and continued to attempt to take off the dress. Three minutes later, he succeeded, but not after he was thoroughly convinced that the dress was after his life.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto finally emerged in the hallway after handing the dress back to Kira. She took it and said a cheery good bye as Netto walked out of the room. Netto saw Enzan in the hall and restrained himself from running up and punching the smug grin off his face.
 
“You're going to pay for this.” He said quietly.
 
“I don't doubt it, but please wait till after our mission.” Said Enzan; giving a sarcastic grin at the end.
 
Mrs. Worthington came out of her office to meet the two boys. Her heels once again clicked noisily on the floor as she quickly made her way over. “Well, that went well. Now don't forget, the ball is tomorrow, so please come pick them up soon.”
 
Enzan nodded and turned around to leave, Netto following quickly behind.
 
“Have fun you two!” she said cheerfully.
 
“Yeah, right.” Said Netto under his breath.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Netto went home without saying a word. This worried Rockman a bit, since Netto really wasn't one to “not talk” when he was upset. Normally he complained about it for hours until Rockman asked him politely to be quiet, but at that moment all he could hear was the rolling sound of Netto's skates.
 
“Penny for your thoughts, Netto-kun.” He said
 
“I was thinking, at the ball, if I'm his partner it probably means I'm going to have to dance with him right?” asked Netto
 
“Makes sense.” Came the reply.
 
Netto sighed and didn't say anything else for the rest of the trip, which made Rockman worry even more.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto walked into his house and sighed. Being stressed was not a new thing for Netto but being stressed over the prospect of dancing with one of his best friends was something new, Netto had to admit. As he took off his shoes in the main hall Netto called out a dull “I'm home.” To anyone who might be there.
 
Haruka, who was in the kitchen and currently making some white sauce spaghetti, heard Netto when he shut the door. “Welcome back, honey!” she said.
 
Netto walked into the doorway of the small kitchen. “I'm going upstairs, I'm a little tired.” He said faking a yawn.
 
Haruka looked concerned. “You're not hungry, dear?” she asked
 
Netto shook his head. “Maybe later.” Then he left the kitchen and went upstairs. Netto shut the door behind him and Haruka wondered what was the matter with Netto.
 
Netto walked into his room and plugged Rockman into his computer. Then he did a belly flop onto his bed pushing his face into his comforter.
 
“Netto-kun, are you okay?” asked Rockman
 
“Mmphmmphmphm mhppm mhpphmhm…” said Netto
 
“I'm sorry, I don't speak bed.” Said Rockman hinting a smile.
 
Netto brought his face out of his bed and turned so he faced Rockman. “I said `I wonder if Enzan had thought about us dancing.'”
 
“Still thinking about that?” asked Rockman
 
Netto nodded and flipped onto his back. “I mean, it's just weird. He's my best friend and now we're practically going on a date, you know? It just makes me think.”
 
“Does it hurt?” teased Rockman
 
Netto stuck his tongue at his brother, then he looked thoughtful “Ne, Rockman, do you ever think about Blues?” he asked suddenly.
 
Rockman looked startled. “W-what do you mean?”
 
“I don't know, like being more than friends or something.” Said Netto
 
“You're being awfully insightful tonight, Netto-kun.” Said Rockman; obviously avoiding the question.
 
Netto shrugged. “I don't know, I mean I just had to spend the whole day pretending I was a girl. It just made me wonder that's all.”
 
Rockman nodded and Netto turned on his side away from Rockman. There was complete silence for about ten minutes before there was a soft knock at the door. Netto turned over and looked at the door. “Netto, can I come in?” asked Haruka.
 
“Yes.” Said Netto. Haruka came in bearing a tray of her cooking and set it on the table next to Netto's computer.
 
“Are you all right?” asked Haruka. She came over and sat on the bed, obliging Netto to sit up. When he did Haruka put a hand to his forehead. “Are you feeling sick?” she asked. Rockman sniggered; Netto threw him a dirty look and shook his head. “Well, are you feeling all right, is anything wrong?”
 
“I have a,” Netto paused, searching for the right phrase “difficult mission tomorrow.” He finished.
 
Haruka smiled sadly. Contrary to what she showed her sons, she was in an almost constant state of worry, for her two boys to be so young and yet have such huge responsibilities. She always worried that they might get into some kind of trouble that they couldn't get out of one day. To hear Netto talk about a mission, albeit vaguely was a rare occurrence for Haruka. She knew they hid most of the details from her, so as to not worry her, although it only made her worry more. She pulled Netto into her arms and was surprised when he didn't try to escape or complained when she did so. Instead Netto sighed and leaned into her embrace surprising Haruka even more.
 
“Care to elaborate on your `difficult mission?'” she asked.
 
“Netto-kun and Enzan-san have to split off from me and Blues. They're pulling it solo tomorrow.” Said Rockman, saving Netto from thinking of an excuse.
 
“I see.” Said Haruka. She certainly did see; she knew there was more to it then that. Netto wasn't nervous and neither was Rockman. She was sure it had something to do with the fact that Netto would be with Enzan alone. Although she didn't push for an elaboration on the comment, she decided that she would find out exactly what was going on from Mejin-san.
 
Haruka smiled tightening her loose embrace into a hug. Netto didn't protest and Haruka ruffled his hair. “Well, can you blame me for thinking you were sick? Turning down dinner like that, you almost gave me a heart attack.” She joked.
 
Netto smiled and pulled out of her grip and went over to the plate of food she brought in. He looked down at its contents and smelled it. “Smells great mama, I'll eat it as soon as I finish talking with Rockman.”
 
Haruka nodded. “All right, make sure you tell me when you're leaving tomorrow, all right?”
 
“Yeup!” Netto said brightly, returning to his old self. “Thanks for the food, mama!” he said cheerfully.
 
Haruka seemed to get some peace from Netto's mood twist and went back downstairs, shutting the door behind her.
 
Netto picked up his fork and started to eat the delicious noodles. Rockman laughed, “I thought you we're going to talk to me, Netto-kun.”
 
Netto swallowed a large bite with some difficulty. “Yeah, well, it smelled too good. Anyways, I didn't think you would mind.”
 
Rockman pretended to be indignant and crossed his arms. “Well, fine then!” he said. In truth he was glad that Netto had returned to his normal personality, maybe they would get through it after all.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
After eating his dinner, Netto decided to get ready for bed. Soon he was under his covers and really to fall asleep, but not after asking Rockman one more time.
 
“Ne Rockman, you never answered my question. Do you think about Blues?” he said looking at Rockman in his PET.
 
Rockman sighed. “Yes, Netto-kun, I do. Now, go to sleep, big day tomorrow.” He said
 
Netto snorted into his pillow. Then he pulled the covers around his shoulders and up to his chin, twenty minutes later he was asleep.
 
Rockman thought about his answer for a few hours after Netto had drifted into dreamland. Lots of things to think about, yet they could most likely wait until after their mission. After Rockman was tired of his could searching, he entered into stasis mode until morning came.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto woke up the next morning to his curtains being pulled back. The blinding light went through his eyelids as if they weren't there. Netto winced and rolled away from the window pulling his covers more tightly around him.
 
Enzan, who had come into Netto's room three minutes prior sighed. “Netto, wake up, we need to get ready.”
 
“Mphm mhm mhmmphm….” Said Netto sleepily.
 
“What?” asked Enzan
 
There came no reply, only a soft snore telling Enzan that Netto had fallen back asleep. “Come on Netto.” He said shaking Netto's shoulder. “We need to go get our costumes and leave, or we'll never get there on time.”
 
Netto woke up enough this time to talk semi-coherently. “Enzan, it's morning, we have until 5 to get ready.” He said preparing to go back to sleep.
 
“Netto, it's 11:30, you need to get out of bed now!” he said
 
Netto registered the fact that it was almost noon, and then he decided he didn't really care. “Whatever.” He said
 
Enzan viciously pulled the covers off of Netto making him curl up into a ball so as to avoid the incoming cold. Enzan thought this looked invariably cute but decided to ignore that thought. Wait, did he just think Netto was cute?
 
“Go away.” Netto groaned.
 
Enzan dropped Netto's sheets to the floor and pushed him off the bed. He landed with a loud thump on the sheets that Enzan threw down before. Netto, sensing an opportunity pulled the sheets over him and pretended to go back to sleep. Enzan sighed “Get up Netto, we have to get ready.” He said in an almost pleading tone.
 
Netto sighed and picked himself off the floor. “Fine, let me just get dressed first.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto was dressed and ready to go in five minutes, a lot shorter then Enzan thought. Rockman finally came out of stasis mode when Netto picked up his PET. “Ready to go, Rockman?” asked Netto
 
Rockman rubbed his eyes and gave Netto a sleepy smile. “Yeup, let's go Netto-kun.” Netto laughed and put his PET in it's holder around his belt.
 
Netto went downstairs and said the promised good bye to his mom. Haruka ruffled Netto's hair. She was surprised that it wasn't in its trademark bandana, but she didn't say anything. “Good luck, Netto.”
 
Netto nodded and gave her a broad grin. “Don't worry mama, I'll be home pretty late but I'll see you soon.”
 
Haruka gave him a quick hug before he went out the door. Enzan gave a polite bow to Haruka and followed Netto.
 
Netto got into Enzan's car first and was followed by Enzan. As they went to the dress place Netto thought of something. “Enzan, how did you get inside my house?” he asked.
 
“I knocked on the door and your mother let me in. I sent you an e-mail to meet me at ten. When you didn't come by eleven I went over your house.” He said
 
“Oh.”
 
The rest of the car trip was spent in silence.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Enzan were once again sent to separate rooms to get ready. First Netto had his hair messed with by Kira to make it a little curlier. “Your hair needs body,” she said “You don't want it sticking straight up at a ball.” Then Netto had to once again put on the `death dress' as he dubbed it and came out to Kira. She gave a squeal of delight and handed Netto his mask. “Oh you look stunning, dear!” she said
 
Netto blushed. “Th-thank you…” he mumbled.
 
“Aren't you going to wear the shoes that go with your dress?” she asked.
 
Netto looked at Kira, hoping she wouldn't notice. The dancing shoes that were supplied with the dress didn't look very comfortable, and since the dress reached the floor he felt that it was somewhat redundant to wear them.
 
Kira noticed Netto's silence and tutted. “Come on, they go with the dress, and it will make the dress easier to walk in, I hemmed the bottom to fit with the shoes.”
 
Netto sighed and put on the shoes in front of Kira, maybe he could switch later. “Much better!” Kira cheered. “Now, you don't want to be late so I suggest you get going.”
 
`Be late? It's only 1:30, we still have a lot of time.' Thought Netto. He would have to ask Enzan about it later. Carrying his mask he made his way to the door. Only too stumble and almost fall. Kira managed to catch him before he went face first into the carpet, but that wasn't saying much.
 
“My goodness, you act like you've never worn dancing slippers before.” She said
 
`I haven't.' thought Netto irritably. “Well, the dress is kind of hard to move in.” he said through his teeth.
 
Rockman allowed himself a small giggle at Netto's expense.