MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Someone is Going to Die ❯ Party ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Enzan finally finished putting on his costume and looked in the mirror. He didn't look bad, he just wasn't very comfortable.
 
“Enzan-sama, are you ready?” asked Blues
 
Enzan nodded. “Let's get this over with.” He said. Enzan left his room and walked into the main hall where Mrs. Worthington was waiting.
 
“Oh! You look so handsome!” she said in her loud voice.
 
“Thank you.” Enzan said, trying not to sound impolite.
 
“Well, now if Hikaru-chan would come out, we could send you off.” She said smiling. “Though I'm sure the wait will be worth it.”
 
“Yes, I'm sure.” Repeated Enzan, might as well be as monosyllabic as possible, he didn't want to say the wrong thing.
 
The door knob to Netto's room turned and a blushing Netto stumbled out. Enzan's eyes widened as Netto vainly tried to straighten himself. He felt a fine heat creep over his cheeks as Netto looked at him.
 
“What are you looking at?” asked Netto
 
Enzan decided not to answer the somewhat rude question, and he was saved by Mrs. Worthington's gushing.
 
“Oh! Hikaru-chan, you look so lovely! I'm sure you two will be the best looking couple at the ball, if I do say so myself.” She said. Netto blushed and nodded. He didn't even want to think about anything but the mission being over. “Well, does Enzan-chan have anything to say?” prompted Mrs. Worthington.
 
Enzan tried to keep a straight face, and simultaneously he tried not to blush as he said “You look very nice, Hikaru.”
 
“Thank you Enzan.” Said Netto coldly.
 
Mrs. Worthington either didn't notice or chose to ignore the obvious little battle going on. “Well, it seems that you two should go, don't want to be late you know!”
 
“How far away is this thing?” asked Netto
 
“About three hours.” Said Enzan. “So we need to go.” He turned and started to walk towards the door.
 
“O-oh…” said Netto. Three hours was a long car ride, especially with Enzan. Netto started to follow but one of his shoes got snagged on the hem of his dress and he started to pitch forward again. Netto gave out a little cry but he found himself wrapped tightly in Enzan's arms. Netto looked up at Enzan, their faces were very close, Netto started to panic and he felt his temperature rise several degrees. Netto stood up and gently pushed Enzan away. “Th-thank y-you…” he said.
 
“N-no problem…” came Enzan's reply.
 
Together they quickly walked out of the hall and into the waiting car, not saying a word.
 
“Awww, wasn't that cute.” Said Mrs. Worthington
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
They entered the car red faced and dead silent. They sat facing each other in the limo but quickly avoided each others gaze. Netto set his mask on the seat next to him and looked out of the window, trying to gain what little composure he had left. The first hour and a half was spent in silence, which amazed Rockman. Never before had Netto been awake, and not talking. Enzan was also surprised, but glad for the time to think, he was busy building a strategy in his mind and he needed absolute quiet, not something he got around Netto very often.
 
After so long, Netto started to get antsy, he couldn't help it. He twisted his hands under the folds of his dress. Not that he'd ever show Enzan, but he was very nervous about the upcoming mission. Seeing Enzan's costume made him feel much better though, Enzan was right, his costume was pretty bad. At least Netto didn't have to wear tights. Thinking of the good things and the “at leasts” made his mood lift considerably. The prospect of dancing was still looming in his mind but he brushed it aside with thoughts of the dinner that mama was cooking upon his return.
 
/ Netto-kun, we're probably not going to make it home for dinner./ Said Rockman
 
/Aww, Rockman, don't spoil my good mood./ Said Netto, giving Rockman a mental grin.
 
The action seemed to put Rockman at ease for the first time in over 24 hours. Netto seemed to be regaining his normal personality again. What a mixed blessing.
 
Enzan watched Netto “talk” with his brother. Truly it was fascinating to watch, He wasn't sure if Netto know, but he made some of the most amusing faces when they talked. Most of the time it was undetectable and Netto just sat there, unnaturally silent and still. But everyone once in awhile Rockman must end up telling Netto something that either makes him laugh or angry and he would make the most hilarious faces. They lasted only about a second and Netto was very good at masking when he was talking to Rockman, and of course Rockman couldn't be seen. Enzan never even noticed that when he looked at Netto, watching his “chat” that Netto was watching him as well.
 
/Hey Rockman, why is Enzan staring at us?/ asked Netto
 
/Well, technically he's staring at you, but I have no idea./
 
/It's kind of creepy, maybe he fell asleep with his eyes open./ Netto thought for a second. /Is that possible?/
 
/Yes, Netto-kun, but Enzan is conscious. I think he might only be zoned out or something./
 
/Oh…./ Netto sighed out loud. Then he leaned over to stare at Enzan to see if he really was awake. His dress made a “whoosh” sound as the air escaped the immense folds of fabric. Enzan blinked, Netto either missed this or chose to ignore it. Instead he waved his hand in front of Enzan's face. “Helloooooo?”
 
Enzan jumped as the giant hand invaded his personal space. When he looked up he say Netto leaning towards him, his boyish face was offset by his unusually tame hair. It seemed that Netto had actually let someone near his hair with a brush. An amazing turn of events as far as Enzan was concerned; Netto didn't let anyone tell him what to do with his hair, not even Rockman.
 
“Hello?” Netto asked again
 
Enzan zoned out a lot, caught up in his own thoughts but he was jerked to his senses by Netto's loud voice. “Yes?”
 
“You were staring at me.” Said Netto
 
“Oh; sorry. I was thinking about how your hair was actually brushed.”
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Said Netto; falling back into his seat making his dress fan out and crossing his arms.
 
Enzan gave a small grin in spite of himself. “You know, sitting like that will make it harder to breathe in that dress.”
 
“I don't care.” Muttered Netto; avoiding eye contact with Enzan.
 
There was a silence that stretched for several minutes.
“So, are you nervous?” Enzan asked suddenly.
 
Netto looked at Enzan, a little surprised by the question. “W-what do you mean?”
 
“Well, there are a lot of things that could go wrong with this mission. Are you scared at all?”
 
Netto snorted. “Not likely, I'm more worried about getting embarrassed.”
 
“Netto-kun, I don't think you need to worry about that.” Said Rockman sarcastically.
 
“Why not?” asked Netto, missing the sarcasm in its entirety.
 
Enzan was highly amused as Netto fought to understand the private joke at his expense.
 
“Rockman, answer my question!”
 
“Netto-kun, I did. Think about it.”
 
Netto opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by Enzan. “Netto, what did you mean by embarrassment?”
 
Netto opened and closed his mouth trying to think of an answer without saying something he might regret later. “Well, you know……”
 
“No, I don't. Or I wouldn't be asking you.”
 
“Well…” Netto looked to the side, unsure of what to say. “What if we have to dance?”
 
Enzan blinked, the thought hadn't even crossed his mind. Netto was right, what if, under some odd circumstance, they had to dance? What would they do?
 
Netto guessed what Enzan was thinking. “Never thought about it, did you?”
 
Enzan sighed, rubbing his temples. “Well, let's just avoid that circumstance.”
 
“And if we can't?”
 
“Well, dance I guess. You do know how to dance, right?”
 
“Yes, what kind of question is that?”
 
“No, I mean, do you know how to waltz?”
 
“Waltz?”
 
Enzan resisted the urge to facefault. “Yeah, we're going to a ball. Normally at balls people dance ballroom dances, waltz, foxtrot, etc.”
 
Netto looked at Enzan like he was speaking a foreign language. “Then no, I've never danced like that before.”
 
Enzan shook his head. Netto though dancing was bouncing in time to music, he had no idea what a waltz was, how close you had to be. Enzan's face burned just thinking about it.
 
“Enzan?” Netto asked
 
“Never mind, if it really does come to that then just follow my lead.”
 
“Is that all?”
 
“Well, I really can't teach you in here. If you want to learn, find out yourself.”
 
Netto blushed. “No thanks.”
 
“Okay then. Now we'll be there in about ten to twenty minutes, get ready to send Rockman into the mainframe undetected.”
 
Netto giggled. “Yes, sir!” he said jokingly. This earned his a withering glare from Enzan.
 
/Well, the car ride is over./ said Rockman.
 
Netto sighed mentally. /Yeah, and that was the easy part./
 
Rockman “smiled” / My advice, hide in a corner and pray no one sees you./
 
/Some advice./ Netto snorted.
 
Thirteen minutes later they pulled up to a huge mansion, with a night sky of lights shining upon the colored river of guests going inside. Netto stared out the tinted window in wonder, looking at the amazing colors and interesting costumes.
 
“Shot your mouth and put on your mask. It would be bad if someone recognized you.”
 
Netto flipped around in his seat and grudgingly put on his mask.
 
“So, ready?” asked Enzan
 
Netto nodded.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Enzan walked up the large marble steps into the large marble hallway. Netto dancing slipper clicked on the marble tile and Enzan haled silently along. They had about a two foot distance between then, Netto looked around and saw all of the couple around them; the females clinging to their partners' arms and all of the males wrapping their arms around the females' waists. `Like hell that is gonna happen.' Thought Netto
 
They emerged from the vast hall into a glorious ballroom. Crystal chandeliers dotted the ceiling every ten feet, a large food table stretched along the west wall, people danced to live classical music and they picture perfect host greeted the newcomers. Netto tried to sneak past the pompous youth to make it to an internet connection. The whole “going to a ball with one of my best friends: thing was kind of pointless if Rockman and Blues didn't get into the bet. But, Netto was quickly spotted by the host and slithered over to make his greeting to the younger “girl.” Netto looked into a pair of icy blue eyes, and found himself being the subject of a warm smile that did nothing to chance the temperature of his vision. “Hello miss, are you here alone?” he asked, extending a white, long fingered hand.
 
Netto gaped at the offered hand, at a loss for words. Enzan looked around and saw Netto's current predicament, a sigh escaped from his lips not even a minute there and he was already ankle deep in trouble. Netto continued gaping openly at the offered hand, Enzan glided over and stood next to Netto. “She is my partner.” Said Enzan
 
The host slowly withdrew his offered hand and overlooked Enzan amusingly. “You don't look like a couple.”
 
Netto finally found his voice. “We are NOT a couple.”
 
“So you're free?”
 
Netto blushed scarlet and Enzan grabbed his hand. “Come on.” He said. Netto nodded and for the first time in his life, followed someone willingly.
 
When they had gotten out of earshot of the “gracious host” Enzan laid the verbal smack down. “Netto, you need to be more careful, he probably knows to look out for Net Saviors and policemen here. Stay away from him.”
 
Netto growled. “Enzan, I did. The guy is like a friggin snake!”
 
Enzan sighed, a small laugh coming at the end. “All right, let's just get the first part over with. Ready Blues?”
 
“Yes, Enzan-sama.”
 
“You ready, Rockman?”
 
“Yes, Netto-kun. Just be careful okay?”
 
Netto grinned. “Will do.”
 
Enzan put a finger to his lips, indicating that they were too loud. Netto nodded and continued to follow Enzan.
 
/Netto-kun, there's a port over by the sound equipment./ said Rockman
 
“Rockman says that there is a port by the sound equipment.” Said Netto quietly.
 
“Okay, we'll just pretend we're going to get something to eat.”
 
They walked to the far side of the wall and walked to the west wall, on the way sending two invisible infra red beams into the sound cards. /Good luck, nii-san./ said Netto
 
/I promise. Just don't get into any more trouble./
 
Netto grinned. /Hey do I ever?/
 
Rockman groaned, then closed off the link. “They've started.” Said Netto
 
Enzan nodded.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Enzan were both doing very good jobs of being wallflowers. Amazingly enough neither had been bothered, most likely because they were two twelve year olds. Most of the people in the room ranged from mid teens to mid twenties. Netto and Enzan were in the minority.
 
“Yeah, our age definitely helps us blend in.” said Enzan after scoping out the other people in the room.
 
Netto sighed, ignoring the sarcasm from Enzan. “Please tell me I don't have to dance.”
 
Enzan smiled reassuringly. “Don't worry. As long as we say we're a couple, people will leave us alone.”
 
“Thank god.”
 
“Ummmm… Netto? Can you contact Rockman?” asked Enzan
 
Netto looked at Enzan. “Not when we're far apart. I can sense him, but as far as exchanging thoughts go, I would most likely only get a bad headache.”
 
“Is it really that hard?”
 
“Well, duh! Can you read Blues' mind?”
 
Enzan thought about it. Netto was right; there must be some kind of mental repercussions to be able to do what they could. If distance played a factor, then Enzan wasn't surprised.
 
Netto placed his elbows on his knees and cupped his chin in his palms. He looked out at the couples twirling around the dance floor. Enzan prodded him. “I'd sit up if I were you. That can't be comfortable.”
 
Netto made a face. “I don't care.
 
Enzan sighed. “Fine. I'll just go get some punch then.”
 
“Whatever.”
 
Enzan got up and walked over to the far end of the hall to get the referred drink. As soon as he was out of ear shot, Netto found himself looking at a hand place in front of his face. He looked up into the arctic eyes of the host. Netto must have worn a puzzled expression because the host said “Care to dance?”
 
Netto was tired of being polite and being nice; without Enzan there to tell him what to do he just out right shoot his head, but saying a word. A glimmer of amusement flashed across his eyes as he withdrew his hand. “May I inquire as to why not?”
 
“I don't know who you are, you're at least five years older then me and I don't know how to dance.”
 
He laughed loudly at the last comment and looked at Netto with a strange air of respect. “Well, my name is James Menson, I an indeed 17 years old and I can teach you if you wish.
 
Netto became speechless at the retort and his brain seemed to shut down in a desperate attempt to understand what was going on. In his moment of weakness, Netto felt himself being pulled towards the ballroom floor. Netto pulled on his hand stuttering. “W-wait a minute…” Thankfully, Enzan came to his rescue holding two glasses of punch. Netto had never been so glad to see Enzan in his life.
 
“My friend and I were going out on the balcony to have some punch.” Enzan said coolly.
 
James flashed a dazzling movie star grin. “Well then, I guess we'll have to dance some other time,” he winked “Hikaru-chan.”
 
Netto became furious as James turned his back, but before Netto could yell something he might regret; Enzan put a hand on his shoulder. “Netto, please. Just come with me and don't say a thing.” He whispered into his ear.
 
Netto grudgingly followed Enzan out side. He took the drink that was offered him and drank the fruity liquid gratefully. After a few silent minutes, Enzan spoke. “Netto, you have to be more careful. That guy is probably already suspicious that we are spies.”
 
Netto snorted. “Yeah right. We're not spies; we're two kids with PET's that know how to use them.”
 
Enzan raised his eyebrow. “Since when do you have modesty?”
 
Netto laughed. “Modesty? I don't have any idea what you're talking about. What I meant was that we've never gone to a special school to learn our skills. We're geniuses!” Netto punched a fist into the air to emphasize his point.
 
For the first time since Enzan could remember he burst out laughing. Netto stares in shock at his shaking frame. “Uhhhh…”
 
“Never mind.” Enzan calmed down. “I swear, you say the weirdest things.”
 
Netto crossed his arms. “Gee thanks.” He said dryly.
 
“I was meant as a compliment. Now, to make sure that guy doesn't come back; think we should try one dance?”
 
Netto shook his head. “No, because there is still the issue that I can't dance.
 
Enzan sighed. “I could teach you…” he said slowly.
 
Netto had a worried look on his face. “I don't know…”
 
“Do you want to dance with the creepy guy?”
 
“Hell no!”
 
“Well, maybe if he sees us dancing he'll leave you alone.”
 
Netto thought it over. “Well, as long as you promise to never tell anyone.”
 
Enzan nodded. “You promise the same thing.”
 
Netto nodded back and they walked into the loud room together.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Enzan were standing awkwardly in the middle of the room an arm's length apart. “I can't believe I agreed to this.” Said Netto through gritted teeth as a waltz began.
 
Enzan smiled weakly. “Well, at least no one is looking.”
 
“Yeah, right.”
 
“Just be quiet and follow my lead.” Enzan held Netto's hands and started to lead him in time to the music. After a few stumbles Enzan finally said “Netto, count. Waltzing is by threes.”
 
“I'm trying. Did you think I was kidding when I said I couldn't dance?!”
 
Enzan vainly hid a grin. “No, but at least try.”
 
“Again, I am!” he hissed.
 
Some girls looked at the awkward dance. “Isn't that cute! They've got to only be like 11 or 12.”
 
“The girl isn't doing very well.” One observed. The other two nodded in agreement.
 
James came over and clapped his hands on two of the girls' shoulders. “Well, how are you fine young ladies doing tonight?”
 
The three giggled simultaneously. “We're fine. Just watching the kids dance.” Said one
 
James looked over to where Netto and Enzan were dancing. “Well, isn't that cute?”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Netto and Enzan stopped after one dance and sat back down on a couch.
 
“Let's never do that again.” Said Netto, blushing.
 
“Agreed. You really can't dance can you?”
 
“S-shut up.” Said Netto, glaring at Enzan.
 
“Was it really that bad?”
 
“No…” Netto said slowly. “It would have been better if those girls didn't point and giggle the whole time.”
 
Enzan nodded. “I agree with you there.”
 
Netto sighed and looked up at the ceiling. “I wonder how Rockman and Blues are doing?”