MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Strings of Fate ❯ Breakthrough ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It's becoming stronger......my whole body is becoming colder and colder...I can barely even breathe.....

Inside of his dormitory, the Maverick Hunter known as Zero was curled up on his bed, immersed in the mists of bitter, soul-breaking darkness and pain. His arms were wrapped around his body tightly, as if he was about to break down, and he was trembling violently. His eyes were closed firmly, and dewdrops of immeasurable sorrow were streaming from them like the crystal waterfalls of a dark night...his heart was experiencing a brutal type of pain....pain that should not be known to anyone....

Into his hand he coughed up red, hot blood. He opened his eyes to look at what he had done, but it was too hard to keep them open for even a second. The pain flooding through his body was beyond excruciating-it was horrendous. The darkness of his room matched his sadness perfectly-there were no lights anywhere....

Why....why can't it stop?

Visions of death assaulted his mind mercilessly like gunfire. Visions of bloodshed....bloodshed he was creating with his own two hands....

“Zero!!!”

His heart's star was a part of those visions-actually, he was the main part of those visions. And that star was none other than X. He saw it...he saw his saber cut right through the Hunter's body....and his eyes could practically feel the blood spill onto the already red floor.....

“X....I don't......I don't want to hurt you....damn it......why can't I make this stop....why....”

Waterfalls spilled from his eyes and onto the black floor as he doubled up in pain, sobbing softly.

--“All right X! Keep it up, you're doing great!” The Maverick Hunter base was even better than a luxury hotel-it had everything you could ever want, and more. It kept the Hunters extremely satisfied-if they needed anything, anything at all, all they had to do was go and get it. There was nothing they couldn't find in their homebase, and there was nothing they couldn't do in it either. It had what seemed like a hundred training rooms for soldiers that wanted to tighten up their skills.

“That's my boy! Keep up the good work!”

Dr.Cain, Mega Man X's caretaker (X affectionately thought of him as a second father), was surveying X's training session through a window. A warm smile was on the old man's face as he watched his son dash all over the room with a huge, sparkling smile on his own face, successfully completing many tasks with his new and improved X-Buster. Bright golden light was shining into the room, looking very much like beautiful sunlight from the heavens and perfectly equaling the warmth of X's smile. The young Hunter came to a pause for a second, his eyes shimmering with the vibrancy of a puppy's heart.

“You really think I'm doing okay?”

He was adorable. “Of course I do! You're incredible!” Cain replied, cupping his hands over his mouth. The light of his smile increased as X waved back at him, laughing like a small child that had just gained approval from a parent.

“Someday I'll be as cool as Zero!”

“Yeah! I'll bet my life on that!”

X resumed his training with a stronger amount of determination-those words gave him a wondrous amount of confidence and power. Images of his beloved idol flashed through his mind as he went on with his training, smiling like a newborn wolf cub that had just found sunlight. Cain folded his arms, chuckled to himself warmly and turned to Douglas, who had just walked in. “Isn't he cute?” the professor asked his friend jovially, sounding like a mother that had just adopted the cutest puppy.

Douglas put his eyes on X, his heart singing with elation. “Yeah, he sure is. He practically worships the ground Zero walks on-oh, and let's not forget the air he breathes in too!”

Both of them laughed at that for a moment-those words were true. Silly, but true and very profound. Cain's eyes darkened a bit after the laughter faded away, though, and he rubbed at his chin thoughtfully. Douglas narrowed his eyes at him in confusion.

“What's up?”

“I haven't seen Zero around today. Where d'ya think he could be?”

Douglas dismissed Cain's concern with a wave of a hand. “Aw, he's got to be around here somewhere. I'm sure X has seen him. You know Zero-he's the dark and mysterious type.”

That didn't help at all. “Yeah, you're right....but I've got a pretty bad feeling....something's up.” Cain's eyes went back out to X, who was happily running and jumping all over the grounds like a baby deer. Douglas looked at him worriedly, realization striking him like a bolt of thunder. He knew what the doctor was thinking of.

“The....virus...”

“Yeah. I wonder if he's all right.”

“He'll be okay.” Douglas assured him, smiling warmly at the thought of his friend. “Everything will be all right, I know it.”

--“Attention, attention! Hunters, X, Zero and Douglas-report to the front! We've got a visitor!”--

A small red light went off through the base, serving as an alarm. Douglas and Cain exchanged glances with each other, and then X looked at them with wide, fearful eyes. “Sounds like we've got trouble!” Cain said to them both, waving a hand. “Let's get a move on!”

--“He's identifying himself as Axl, a former member of the Red Alarm Syndicate. He looks friendly enough-should we let him in?”

Signas, the General of the Maverick Hunters, saluted his friend Alia, who was sitting in her favorite spinning chair at her station. “If you trust him, then I trust him. You don't make any bad calls, Alia-tell our pals to let him in.”

The Navigator and Spotter of the Maverick Hunters gave her friend a warm smile and granted the sentinels at the entrance permission to let their new visitor in. She only had to wait a few seconds for the two mechanical sliding doors to open and reveal their guest. It was a young Reploid, one with shiny black armor and topaz blue eyes. He was breathing deeply, as if he had run all over the world twice in a day, and he just looked flat out exhausted.

His appearance instantly attracted the sympathy of Alia, Signas and other Hunters that were just passing by, doing their job. The general of the Maverick Hunters rushed over to him as Alia kept her eyes on him, alarmed and anxious. “What's wrong?” was the first question out of the general's mouth. He helped the young one stay on his feet by lifting him up. The young Reploid's eyes stared into his for a second, and he looked as if he wanted to explain something, but then two other figures caught his attention, and he darted away from Signas abruptly.

“I can't believe this!!! Man, this is incredible!!! I've found you guys!!”

The stranger grabbed X by the arm and began to jump up and down, startling the Hunter a little.

“I can't believe it!!! It's you it's you it's you-”

“Heeeey!!!” X whined, sounding like an adorable little kitten. “I'm `me', already!! Get off get off get off-”

“What's going on here?!” Signas asked their new visitor, grabbing him by his arm. Obviously, he was a bit miffed by their new friend's decision to dart away from him unexpectedly. “Who are you?!”

Alia rose from her chair, her beautiful sapphire blue eyes radiating tension as she listened in on the conversation. Douglas met her and stood by her side, listening in on the discussion at her side. The young Reploid scanned the faces of those around him for a moment, strengthening the suspense in the still air, then lowered his head-

“We're waiting.”

X gasped and lit up like a Christmas tree-those words were from none other than-

“Zero!”

The blue Maverick Hunter leapt on his hero and embraced him as if he hadn't seen him in years. That was the way he always greeted his idol-it was always the same thing. Like a puppy madly attached to its mother, X hung all over Zero, smiling with an infinite amount of happiness.

“Zero Zero Zero Zero Zero-”

“Okay, okay! Not now!” the Hunter of the Crimson Fire shooed him away affectionately, the way any loving mother would get rid of an annoying, energetic baby. X got off of him, frowning childishly with reluctance, then put a smile back on and focused on the problem at hand. The newcomer stared at him in warm surprise, feeling jealousy prick him gently. “Th' name's Axl.” he began, chuckling at the happy Blue Bomber. “I'm a member of the Red Al
ert Syndicate-well, I used to be, anyway.”

“The Red Al
ert Syndicate?”