MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Strings of Fate ❯ Transmission ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

--“Roger.”
Within a second the face of a Reploid that was so familiar to Axl came up on Alia's main screen, bearing the look of a harsh, sadistic demon. The expression on his face disgusted Axl-he had never seen such a look on his former friend's face before....and he never thought he would, either. Anger tore away at the young Reploid's heart like the claws of a tiger, consumed by the cold mists of pain and confusion....
“Attention all Maverick Hunters! This is Red speaking, the mighty commander of the Red Alert Syndicate! We're searching for a runaway traitor-Axl is his name, and we think he may be with you. Oh, what am I saying? He is with all of you, I know he is. He practically idolizes the two Maverick Hunters Zero and Mega Man X.”
The charming, careless smile that had been on the Reploid's face at the start changed into a perilous look of venomous hatred. His tone became dark and menacing, equaling the tone of his wrathful eyes-
“He's in there. I know he is. And we want him back. If you don't surrender him to us, there will be....well, you know what happens to all goody-goods if they refuse to bow down. You'll pay for being such lame idiots if Axl doesn't return to us. He's pretty special to me, you know.”
“WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!”
The soft, kind eyes of X and Zero turned to Axl because of his sudden outburst of rage. The young Replid became a little embarrassed at this but was far too angry to be self-conscious-Red had become a downright scumbag. The scumbag continued on with his vicious threats, looking like a cat that was trying to coax a mouse out of his hole.
“There's an easy way to avoid unnecessary confrontations. Just hand him over to me, and all will be taken care of, trust me. We'll have our friend back and you all can go back to your happy little lives. If you decided to keep him with you, then you'll all be in BIG trouble. VERY BIG TROUBLE.”
Red's face vanished from the screen, but the fun didn't stop-
“They don't kid around when they're ticked off? The party's already getting started, you guys! Red's friends are DEFINITELY on the edge!” Alia cried out, analyzing the data on her screen.
Axl's heart sank under immense guilt. He had placed the Hunters in a dangerous situation-Red was hot on his trail and wasn't willing to stop for anything. The Maverick Hunters were going to have to deal with him now, and that made Axl feel pretty bad. Being among them was exciting, no doubt about that, but landing his friends in trouble kinda clashed with that excitement. “I'm really sorry, you guys.” he said miserably. “This is all my fault.”
He expected someone to say something like “Throw the kid back to the Syndicate!”, but he received nothing like that. Smiles of great kindness and determination shimmered with the auras of doves, bringing to his heart wondrous relief, but the guilt still hung in the balance. Putting a bunch of his friends in danger wasn't exactly cool. Alia turned away from her controls and to the young Reploid-her voice was a dulcet breeze filled with the song of an angel's harp.”Don't be so down, Axl.” she urged. Douglas, always ready to lend a helping hand, jumped in eagerly.
“Yeah! We're Maverick Hunters! We stick by our friends no matter what!”
“I'm certainly not willing to hand you over.” Signas said, folding his arms. The tone of his voice made it evident that he wanted Axl to stay under the wings of the Maverick Hunters-everyone he came in contact with became like family to him. That was one of the reasons as to why he made a phenomenal general. He was pretty protective of every soldier in the base. Like Cain, he thought of Zero and X as his sons. Everyone was deeply fond of Signas because of his fatherly qualities.
“A true Maverick Hunter defends what they hold dear.”
“So! There you have it.” Cain, ready to leave with Zero and Douglas, put a hand on Axl's shoulder cheerfully. The old man was always smiling and bore spirited, light eyes-his tone always sounded so nonchalant and carefree but his eyes told all.
“Axl, it doesn't look like anyone's miffed with having you onboard, so you're staying with us. No ifs or buts about that. Hurry up and take off with X-I've gotta deal with Zero.”
Sadness rapidly stabbed Axl in the heart right then and there. It also did the same to Zero.....as the Crimson Hunter stared at the expression on X's face. The little puppy looked so sad and worried.....
“Doc, what's wrong with-“
Before he could finish the question X took him by the arm with one of his wide, puppy smiles. The smile was on his face, all right-but Axl knew he was upset. “Come on!” the Blue Bomber said happily, trying very hard to hide his true emotions. “Let's go and get ready. I can show you around a bit, okay?”
X's optimism made Zero's heart sink to rock bottom. It always did. Axl took one last look at the Crimson Hunter before he was lead off by Cain, then he reluctantly followed X. “All right...” he muttered under his breath, unwilling to let go of the subject so easily.........