MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Strings of Fate ❯ Newfound Destiny ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Okay,” Axl took a deep breath before he began-it was as if he was a kid getting ready to recite a report on a president. “Here's the lowdown. I was a part of this group called the Red Syndicate, see, and Red was the leader. We protected the rights of all Reploids....we fought for the good stuff, see. Well, we did...until Red met this guy named Sigma.”

That name struck a dark blade of fire into Zero's heart. He gasped and lowered his head shamefully, balling his hands into fists-

“Sigma got together with Red and told him a bunch of smack, like how he could have a lot of power by destroying this and doin' that......it was all really weird...I mean, I've known Red all of my life-he found me and protected me when I was a little guy, y'know. He taught me a lot about everything....Red and I were really close. We used to be. Now, I guess, we're enemies. He tried to make me stay....but I couldn't see. I didn't want to stay with him anymore-he only cares about ruling the world and stuff like that. I decided to split from the base and come here. I bet he's really pissed off right now, since I was a really important member of the club, but....now, I don't know...maybe he was just using me because of my powers or something...I don't know.....but a lot's gonna go down...believe me.”

“Bastard...”

X looked at Zero with eyes that held the sacred holiness of a dark sapphire blue night. His best friend was the eternal rival of Sigma...his tormentor. Axl's eyes widened in fear as he noticed that the Crimson Hunter was pretty upset. “What's up, Zero?'

“Nothing.” he said darkly, sighing heavily. “I'm just an old friend of Sigma's, that's all.” Ha-that was definitely sarcasm. Axl could tell that Zero hated Sigma with all of his heart and soul. “I'm sorry he ruined everything for you.”

“It's okay.” Axl said softly, telling him to calm down with warm, cheerful eyes. “No problem. Don't worry about it. I'm here, everything's cool. Just chill. I'm ready to kick some serious ass with you guys, so I'm fine. Thanks a lot for lettin' me stay here, by the way.”

“You're welcome.” Signas said to him, putting an arm about his shoulders. “We'll take care of you, friend. Welcome aboard.”

“Don't worry about me.” Axl put a hand to his chest with the greatest of confidence. His eyes were lit with a new power, a power that was born from the light of new bravery. “I may not be as cool as Zero or X, but I can hold my own ground. Once I get out there with you guys, I'll probably become even stronger.”

A smile of fondness bloomed in Douglas' eyes and across his face, resembling the beams of sunlight that soared through a distant winter night. “What about the others, Axl?” he asked. “Who's still with him?”

Axl looked as if he had just tasted a dead lemon. His face scrunched up in disgust, making it clear that he hated to think about his former comrades. “Let me see. Red's got Snipe Ariquick, Hellride, Wind Karasting, Splash Wafly, Hyenard, Galgaroon, Stonekong and Debonion-they're all his generals and stuff, spread out in several areas. He's got a bunch of minions under him, like all evil guys do.” The newcomer shrugged carelessly, but his eyes held a little pain. He was still feeling the hard sting of disloyalty....and they thought he was the traitor.....

“Zero?”

Axl's eyes sparkled with apprehension as Zero fell to his knees, clutching his heart. X was at his side, his beautiful blue eyes radiating the sweetest, deepest concern and affection. The little Blue Bomber put an arm about his friend's shoulders, his face the very picture of distress. “Are you okay?”

“I'm all right, X. I'm sorry.”

“Don't be sorry! You've got nothing to be sorry for! Chin up, okay?”

“Are you guys like tied at the hip or what?” Axl blurted out. That was something he had to get to off his chest. X and Zero were such a cute pair- it only took a second and half a brain to figure out that they were really good friends. X gave a huge smile to him, looking like a child at the fair. Pride, eternal devotion and ecstasy were serene lights in his gentle, tender blue eyes.

“Yeah! You bet we are!”

“Huh.”

Axl sighed to himself as jealously rammed itself into his heart. It wasn't cold, hard jealousy-just the type of jealousy a friend had for another. He watched X embrace Zero with the sunniest smile and listened to him tell him how cool he thought he was-

Some guys just get all of the luck in the world.

“Axl!! You cannot leave me-I need you!!”

“You ungrateful wretch, how can you abadon me?!?!”

Man....... the young Reploid thought to himself.

“Are you sure you're okay, Zero?”

“I'm okay, X.....please don't worry about me....I'm fine, okay?”

X put his forehead against Zero's, smiling. “Keep up that attitude. We'll beat him together, the same way we always do. We've got Axl with us now, too!”

The nightmare came back to him.....like an executioner that was ready to drop the ax.....

“All right. I'll try too. Thank you, X.”

X brought Zero closer to him, the way a child would cling on to a teddy bear. Dr.Cain chuckled at the both of them, hiding the sadness that was silently boiling inside of him. “X. Axl. Why don't you two go and gear up? Pretty good idea, don't you think?”

“Totally!” Axl shot his hand in the air happily. “But what about Zero?”

The look Zero sent his way broke his heart.

It made him think of a puppy....that was lost out in the middle of some storm....

“He's gotta come with me and Douglas for a few minutes.” Dr.Cain told him softly. “He'll meet up with you guys in a bit, don't worry. Trouble's gonna brew up pretty quick here-I can feel it. Now go on, you two.”

X slowly let Zero out of his arms and helped him to his feet, then with a bit of reluctance, took Axl by the arm and began to leave. Alia flung herself back into her seat and instantly began to press a lot of buttons on her controls, finding out that Dr.Cain's words were true.

“You were right. We've got trouble comin' in and it's comin' in fast. Axl's former friends seem to be pretty edgy. We're gettin' a transmission from `Red' right now.”

A small gasp of horror drew itself from Axl's throat, and his heart plunged right into a pit of black fire. A mixture of emotions rushed into his body and into his eyes, creating a torrent of fire in his young eyes. General Signas put his arm on Alia's shoulder, his voice filled with a high elevation of anxiety and excitement.

“Patch it through, Alia!”