MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Enzan woke up sore and cold. There was something under him, and that something was the still-unconscious body of Netto Hikari. Groaning loudly Enzan rolled off of Netto and sat up. His head spun for a moment, but that quickly stopped. Once he was able to see clearly he was able to get a good look at his surroundings. Enzan wasn't to thrilled with what he saw.

They were in a cavern of sorts, and had fallen through a hole in the roof. He could see the hole, it wasn't too far up, they would have to climb to get out. The only problem was that the walls of the cavern were curved, and there was no way they could reach the hole from the wall. Which meant they would have to wait for someone to notice they were missing and for them to come find them. Needless to say, Enzan was not happy.

A soft groan from Netto brought Enzan's attention back to the younger boy. Already he could see a large bruise forming under Netto's eye, and there was a pretty nasty-looking cut on his forehead. Apparently Netto had taken the worst of the fall through the ground. The concern Enzan suddenly felt surprised him, as was the anger. Concern because Netto had been hurt and angry because it appeared as if Netto's own cousins had planned this. Why would they intentionally hurt their own flesh and blood? It didn't seem right.

"Enzan?" Netto asked weakly, his eyes fluttering open. "Where are we?"

"In a cave, apparently. We seemed to have fallen through the roof."

"Joy," Netto said sarcastically, sitting up. Almost instantly he regretted the sudden movement. "Ow! My head feels like a truck hit it."

Enzan smiled, ever so slightly. "Thanks for breaking my fall."

"So that's what knocked me out."

Enzan snorted. "Not likely. You were probably unconsious before you hit the ground."

Netto was to sore to make any comment.

"Netto, you know these mountains pretty well, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"So we can get out of here, stupid," Enzan growled. It amazed him that Netto could be so seemingly smart at some times, and so incredably dense at others.

"Hey, give me a break!" Netto snapped. "I can't think to well at the moment!"

"That's obvious."

Enzan regretted that comment the moment it was out of his mouth. The look Netto gave him was colder than anything he had ever given. Enzan knew he couldn't get out of this situation, and he knew that Netto knew it as well. But it went against his nature to apologize to someone like Netto, so instead he looked away.

"You want to find a way out, find it on your own," Netto snapped. "I don't need someone like you talking me down. My head hurts enough already without your snide comments."

"Fine! See if I care!" Enzan snapped back. Without a second thought he angrily stalked off into the cave. Netto simply laid back down and waited for his headache to subside.

--------

Enzan was furious. Both with Netto and with himself. Why couldn't Netto be more serious about their current situation. They were stuck under ground for crying out loud! And no one but that mutt knew about it. But Enzan knew that was a pointless thought. Netto was the way he was, and nothing Enzan could do would change that. He didn't want to change that.

"Why the hell am I even thinking about him?" Enzan asked himself. "I should be trying to get out of this place."

A sound somewhere ahead of him caught Enzan's attention. He couldn't see to far ahead, though there was light filtering down through random holes in the ground above him. The sound wasn't too loud, and he couldn't tell if it was coming from a mouse, rat or bat. Either one wouldn't be bad, and anything would be an improvement over the wolves he'd seen the other night.

It seemed Enzan was going to be regretting several thoughts this day. His luck just kept getting worse and worse as this competition wore on. It was no rat, mouse or bat that was in the tunnel ahead of him. It was a skunk. A skunk that was none to pleased with the intruder in front of it....

-------

Netto's headache had begun to lessen a bit when Enzan's shouts forced him into a sitting postition. He looked around for the other boy, and spotted him running back into the cavern. From what he could see Enzan wasn't hurt, but from the smell, Netto could easily tell he'd had a rather unfortunate encounter with one of the mountain's natives. It was several minutes before Netto could stop laughing.

"Shut up, Hikari," Enzan growled after a few moments. "Its not funny."

"To you, maybe. God you smell horrible! The poor skunk must have seen your hair and thought you were trying to invade its territory!"

That sent Netto into another fit of laughter.

"Unless you want an even bigger headache you had better stop laughing, Netto."

"Fine..." Netto had a hard time stopping though, and it was awhile before he could even look at Enzan.

"Well," Netto said, finally somewhat calmer, "that skunk was actually a good sign. Since we know it didn't come through the hole we came through, it means there's a way out of this place. We'll just have to follow its trail."

"Just great. If I never see that beast again it will be too soon."

"Yeah? Just walk behind me. The smell is starting to get to me."

"Shut-up, Hikari..."