MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Netto had been walking around for what felt like several hours now, and still he had yet to find signs of anyone that far into the forest save for himself. The rain had stopped some time ago, but Netto was still soaked, and he doubted if he was going to get dry any time soon. And while the sky had gotten somewhat lighter, it was still overcast, promising more rain to come. He was getting tired of finding nothing. Maybe someone had already found the lost person, or perhaps the signal had been a fluke completely. It wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened.

"Rockman, are you sure you picked up a signal coming from this area?" Netto asked with a sigh.

"I'm positive, Netto," the navi replied. "I- Netto! Its the signal! Its back!"

"Try to pinpoint it!" Netto exclaimed.

Rockman was quiet for a moment. Then, "Netto, I have the exact loca-"

The sceen to the PET went completely blank. Netto stared at the machine in disbelief. Of all the times for the mountain to interfere with the PET! He needed to know where that signal was coming from! Yelling loudly, Netto kicked a rock into the trunk of a nearby tree. Now he would just have to keep looking on his own. Netto wasn't very happy about that, but he knew he should have expected it. Heck, he knew that it was going to happen sooner or later, but he had hoped that the PET would have lasted a bit longer, just long enough for Rockman to tell him where the signal was coming from. Sighing, Netto continued walking up the path that continued to grow narrower and less easy to see as he went on.

Very soon the trail disappeared entirely, like most of the trails in the forest tended to do. He had come to a small creek by then, the banks swollen from the recent downpour. While the current was swift the water was shallow enough that Netto was willing to risk a crossing. The water was cold, even though it was summer. Most of the mountain streams and creeks tended to stay cold all year around, and this one was no exception. He shivered as the cold waters soaked his socks and filled up his shoes.

A long, low howl alerted him, and though Netto tensed, it wasn't from fear. He recognized that howl as being that of Kichi's mutt, Anuzu. Sure enough, the large dog appeared through the trees several feet in front of Netto. Had Netto not grown up with Anuzu he would have thought her to be a wolf. Certainly the mutt could pass as one. Anuzu didn't wear a collar, instead she wore a set of gold bangles around her left forepaw. The jingled when she walked, something that had also helped Netto to identify her.

"What do you want?" Netto asked the dog, smiling as he did so. Some people might say otherwise, but he was dead certain Anuzu could understand him.

Anuzu walked up to him and jumped up to lick his face to greet him. Laughing, Netto pushed her back down. She was easily as big as he was when she stood on her hind legs, and she weighed about half as much again what he weighed. Her greeting done with, Anuzu took a corner of Netto's shirt in her teeth and began tugging him in a different direction to what he had been going. Since Anuzu was stronger than him, and since he had asked her what she had wanted, Netto went along with her.

The trail Anuzu had chosen was not the easiest one in the world. Having figured Netto was going to follow her she had let go of his shirt to run ahead through the trees and rocks, reappearing only to keep Netto going the right way. The rain had started up again, this time in a steady drizzle instead of the downpour it had been earlier. It made travelling more difficult, as the rocks he had to climb over became slippery in the rain. Somehow he managed to keep up though, and after some time came to the entrance of a valley. The entrance was formed by two cliffs that probably had been, at some point in time, a single rockface. Anuzu darted through like an arrow, and Netto was quick to follow.

The valley behind the cliffs was small, and most of the plant life was formed of hardy shrubbs, grasses and mosses. Anuzu disappeared into the thick shrubbery, barking loudly so that Netto could find her. When he finally did reach the mutt, she wasn't alone. Lying unconscious on the ground was the disheveled form of Enzan! Anuzu whined and came over to Netto's side, pushing him foreward. Netto kneeled down besides the sleeping boy to make sure he was alright. Enzan was still breathing, and looked fine to Netto. He could find no injuries whatsoever, nor could he figure out how the boy had gotten into the valley to begin with. Why would Enzan have come here at all? There was obviously nothing here except for some shrubs and grass.

"Well, I suppose we should wake him up, huh?" Netto said to Anuzu. "Care to do the honors?"

Anuzu barked and began licking Enzan's face. It took a few minutes, but Enzan did wake up, and he was in a very bad mood.

"Get off of me!" Enzan shrieked, pushing Anuzu away from him, which was no easy task.

Netto laughed. "Now now, is that any way to greet a friend?"

"Hikari? What are you doing here?" Enzan demanded, sitting up.

"I was going to ask you the same thing. Rockman picked up a distress signal before my PET went completely blank. I was looking for the source of the signal when Anuzu here appeared and led me to you," Netto explained.

Enzan pushed Netto aside as he rose to his feet. "I'm going to kill your cousin, Hikari. She knocked me out with some sort of powder, and she was most likely the one that brought me here.

Netto shook his head. "Man, I should have known Kichi was behind this. Its just like her to pull a trick like this on someone. Its her idea of a practical joke."

"Well I'm not laughing."

"Neither am I. She's done the same thing to me before, too. I wouldn't mind getting back at her either."

Enzan ignored Netto's comment and stalked off towards the opening in the cliff. Netto began to run after him when Anuzu darted ahead of them both and stuck herself between them and the opening, blocking their only route out of the valley. This irritated Enzan even more.

"Hikari, tell your dog to move out of the way."

"I'd love to, but she's not mine, and the chances of her listening to me are slim to none."

Sure enough, as Netto moved foreward to try and coax Anuzu aside, she snapped and his hand and growled at both boys. Netto backed up a few feet, and even Enzan took a step back. He was reminded of the wolves he'd seen (or thought he'd seen) last night, and didn't want to become the dinner of this beast who was easily as big, and probably just as dangerous. The way she was acting right now was just like a wolf.

"Easy Anuzu," Netto said softly. "What's gotten into you?"

Again he tried to move foreward, but again Anuzu snapped at him, and this time she pushed Netto backwards into Enzan. Both of them fell backwards onto the ground, which suddenly gave way beneath them! Both boys were fallings into darkness, and when either one had hit the ground, neither could say, because the impact had knocked both of them unconscious.