MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
If There's A Chance Something Can Get Worse...It Will!

A/N: Sorry if Enzan is ooc, I don't know to much about his character

Despite trying to stay awake during the night, Enzan had fallen asleep. He woke up soaking wet from the sudden downpour that had come from nowhere. Annoyed the boy got up. His supplies were still with him, meaning that Netto's cousins hadn't come, or had given up on him. He very much doubted that it was the latter of the two.

"Blues?" Enzan said loudly to see if his navi was awake yet. All he got was silence. Enzan looked at the screen, which was completely blank. He shook his head. Apparently sometime last night his PET had decided to stop working. "Of all the times," Enzan growled, placing the PET in his backpack. Enzan had no idea where he was going, but he was determined to get out of the rain and dry off a bit, though he doubted there was anywhere he could do such a thing.

The rain was cold, surprising for the middle of summer, and the wind made it worse. The trees, which should have blocked most of the wind, didn't. It didn't take long for Enzan to begin shivering, and soon after that his arms and legs began to feel a bit numb. Growling loudly, Enzan pulled out his coat and put it on, but it didn't do much to warm him up. He growled again, feeling quite angry with this turn of events, but he was surprised when he heard something growl back. Or perhaps startled was a better word. Either way, Enzan froze when he heard the noise.

The growl had come from behind him, and Enzan turned slowly to see what it was. In the darkness of the forest, compounded by the rain, this wasn't as easy as it sounded. He could see outlines of things at best, and nothing but rain at worst. As it was, there was nothing he could see that would be the source of the growling. Was it a trick of the wind? It was possible, Enzan told himself. Shrugging, he turned and continued up the path he had been following. Everything was fine for a few minutes, until he heard the growling again, only this time it was much louder.

Feeling every muscle in his body tense up as he froze, Enzan peered out into the darkness, trying to make out the source of the sound. A flash of lightening helped him out, and he wasn't happy with what he saw. Illuminated for a single second was a large cat, a mountain lion, standing on a rock no more than five feet from Enzan! It was looking the other way when the lightning had lit everything up, and Enzan took that opportunity to run off in another direction. He heard something crashing along behind him, but couldn't tell whether it was the wind, which had picked up, or if it was actually the giant cat. Regardless of which, Enzan didn't stop to look and find out.

'What the hell! Why didn't they tell us there were large predators here?' Enzan thought as he ran. 'Someone could get killed by something like that!'

It was awhile before Enzan had to stop and catch his breath, and by that time the rain had cleared up somewhat, though it was still very dark. There was no sign of the mountain lion behind him, and it was hard for Enzan to say whether or not he had actually seen it, or if he had imagined the entire thing. He didn't really believe the second option, but it was the one he hoped was true. Not that he'd ever tell anyone he had been frightened by an imaginary cat. He wouldn't tell anyone about it, period.

Having caught his breath, Enzan tried to get his bearings. He checked to see if his PET was working yet, but it wasn't, unfortunately. And he was even more lost than before. Enzan didn't think things could get any worse, but just as he thought that, it did. There was no warning this time, the threat just appeared in the form of about five wolves. They were close to five meters away, and there was no doubt that they had seen him from the way they were forming a circle around him.

"Just great," Enzan growled. "I escape from a mountain lion only to be eaten by a pack of wolves."

Very slowly, so as not to alarm them (yeah, right,) Enzan reached down and grabbed the first good sized stick his fingers could reach. He wasn't about to give up, and if there was a chance he could get away from these beasts he was going to take it. The wolves had formed a semi circle around him now, coming around behind him and off to his sides. Though they growled and snapped at him, they didn't move any closer...odd behavior from animals who looked ready to tear him apart. Enzan wasn't sure what they were afraid off, but he was going to take the chance to run. He threw the stick at the wolves, then ran.

Enzan could hear the wolves racing after him. He could hear their growling and howling, and the plants snap beneath their paws. They could have easily outran him, but oddly enough, they didn't. In fact, they didn't even come near him, except to snap at him if he tried to change directions. Could it be that...they were possibly herding him the way a sheep dog herded cattle? As impossible as that thought seemed, he had a feeling that it was something Kichi could pull off, if she wanted to. That realization made him stop in his tracks. The wolves reappeared from the forest, forming another circle of sorts, so that he couldn't get away from them. That was fine, Enzan wasn't going to try to run. In fact, he ignored the wolves (not an easy thing to do) and instead peered into the forest.

"I know you have something to do with this, Kichi Hikari!" Enzan shouted to no one in particular. He didn't even know if the woman was anywhere near here. "I don't know what you're up to, but I'm not going to play any games with you!"

"Oh darn, and I was having such fun," came a sudden reply. Kichi appeared from the shadows just as the wolves vanished into them. That sight was a bit unnerving. She had acted as if the wolved hadn't even been there.

"Just what are you up to?" Enzan demanded. "I don't find this funny. Those wolves could have killed me."

"What wolves? I didn't see anything. And I find this to be very funny. Unfortunately, I don't have any more time to play at the moment. So why don't you be a good little boy and just keep running in the direction you were going?"

Enzan crossed his arms and fixed Kichi with his coldest glare. If looks could kill Kichi would have died several times over. "What if I don't want to?"

Kichi raised an eyebrow at this reply. "Pity for you, since you have no choice. Either you go willingly, or..."

"Or what?"

Kichi sighed. "So much for the easy way. Have a nice nap, Enzan-sama."

Before Enzan could reply or react in any way, Kichi had thrown some sort of powder in his face! He sneezed and coughed for a moment, trying to brush the stuff away. He lunged at Kichi with the intention of punching her, but instead ended up falling into her arms! Everything around him was beginning to spin and blur into one big mess of colors.

"Sorry..." he heard Kichi say softly, before he was swallowed up into darkness.