MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Netto had woken up as soon as the rain began to fall. It had come suddenly, without warning. That was the way it usually was with weather in the Aspen Mountains. Rain and snow came without a single sign to warn people who were camping or working there. Well, at least he had a back up plan in mind, and quickly gathered his supplies together and headed for the caves. They were about a mile away, and after a few minutes of walking Netto was completely soaked.

"Netto-kun, something's wrong," Rockman said suddenly. Netto stopped and looked at the PET.

"What is it?" Netto asked.

"Its a distress signal, coming from further up in the mountains! Could it be one of your cousins?"

Netto shook his head. "Can't be. None of them have PETs. One of the contestants, maybe?"

"Aside from you, Enzan, Miyuki and Saloma, no one else had a PET with them," Rockman said. "Should we check it out?"

"Definitely," Netto said. "Can you tell me which direction I should be heading though?"

Rockman fell silent for a moment, apparently trying to contact the other Navi that had given him the distress call. "Netto-kun, its no good. I can't reach the other PET."

A concerned look crossed over Netto's face. There were people who did live in the mountains, but none of them owned a PET that he knew of. Likewise, none of his cousins did either. Besides that, if it had been one of his cousins they would have sent up a flare. If someone was hurt they would need help. He had one of the flares that were used in emergencies, Kerr had left it behind last night. Netto had no idea where his cousins were at the moment, so the best thing to do would be to find the person and send the flare up. Netto knew enough first aid to hopefully help the person until a rescue party came.

"Okay, change of plans. Can you give me a general idea of where you think the distress call came from?"

"One moment, Netto-kun," Rockman replied. A minute later a map appeared on the screen. A large area north of where they currently were was circled. "Gomen, Netto-kun, but that is the best I can do."

"Good enough. Lets go."

Without pause Netto turned around and headed back up the path, intent on finding the person who had sent the distress call. The contest would just have to wait, and if he lost, well, no person's life was worth a battle chip, and there was no way of knowing if Enzan, Miyuki or Saloma had gotten the distress call and had gone to answer it themselves. If they had then Netto would eventually meet up with them. If not, then he was on his own until he found the person and sent up the flare.

*****

"I can't believe he fell for it," Darius said, shaking his head in disbelief as he watched Netto run off.

"Of course he did," Mycah replied, looking up at her great-grandson. "Haven't we drilled this into his head? Had it been a real call you would be doing the same thing."

Darius looked down at his great-grandmother and smiled. She looked like a bundled up rug in the coat and hat she was wearing. Both were waterproof, and protected her against the chill wind that was beginning to pick up. From the way her eyes were crinkled he could tell she was smiling.

"Do you think the other one will fall for the bait as well?"

"If he's the person I think he is, and if my visions are correct, then yes, he will."

"Clever of you to host a contest to get them into this place," Kichi said, appearing out of nowhere, as was her habit. "But I still don't think those two will cooperate. From what I could see earlier, they don't like each other much."

Mycah chuckled softly. "You only see what is on the Surface, child. What I See is what is inside of them. Come, we must make sure things continue to run smoothly. Keep an eye on them, you two. There is much at stake here."

"Will do," Both Kichi and Darius said. Then the two of them disappeared into the forest once again. Mycah stared at the place they had been standing, a contemplative look on her face.

"Yes," She sighed to herself. "There is indeed much at stake here."