MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Yes, this chapter underwent a rewrite because my plans for the story changed. I thank those from the Rockman.exe Online Forum for their nice suggestions, and I also would like to thank them for keeping on my butt for updates... so without further ado, here is chapter three.

It was late in the afternoon by the time the bus came to a stop in front of what looked like a large farmhouse. There was a large field off to the side, and a barn stood on the far edge of it. The rest of the view was taken up by the forest and mountains. On the far side, where the trees began a stip of blue that was the Aspen River could be seen. Darius opened the bus to the doors, and everyone got out in an orderly fashion.

"Alright, if everyone will please follow me," Kichi said in a loud voice to get everyone's attention. "I'll take you to the house so that you may sign in and so that Mrs. Hikari can give you a few more notes, and we can get this thing started."

The small group of net battlers followed Kichi to the wide porch, where an tiny, thin woman with snow white hair and bright brown eyes sat in a cushioned rocking chair. Next to her was a table with a book on it, and next to that was a case with the battle chip inside. The glass was tinted so that they couldn't see just what kind of chip it was. Mycah Hikari said nothing to the net battlers as they signed their names in the book, she simply smiled at them. Finally, when the last name had been signed, Mycah stood up.

"First I would like to welcome all of you to this place. I thank you for choosing to participate in this challenge. I am certain that my great granddaughter has already warned those of you who brought you PETs that they may not work here. That in mind, I shall tell you about the last twist in this contest.

As you have been told, this is a survival contest, to see who can last the longest. However, that is not the only thing. As Kichi was also supposed to tell you, she and her siblings shall be causing you to face situations as the contest progresses. That is their contribution to the contest. Here is mine. What you see in this glass container is the battle chip you are competing for. It shall be hidden somewhere on the mountain, and you must find it. Clues will be given to you, don't worry about how, though. Just know that they will be given. After that, its up to you. I'll warn you all once again about cheating: I won't stand for it. Any one who tries to cheat will be disqualified. Well, then, that is it, I believe. I suggest you all start off now, if you want to find a place to set up camp before dark."

Finished with her speach, Mycah took both the book and glass case and went into the house. Darius and Kichi followed her. With nothing else to hold the contestants to the house, they took off into the woods, each going there own ways.

*****

Netto took a deep breath of the warm mountain air, feeling happy to be beneath the giant trees that made up the forest. He had broken away from the main group as soon as possible, already having a place in mind for his first campsite. Since he had a fair idea that his cousins were going to be up to something, as Kichi had mentioned some 'challenges' Netto wanted to be ready for them. He had a feeling that the first challege would be something along the lines of taking their supplies, not that Netto had brought much to take. All he had was some spare changes of clothing, a blanket, some food and his pocket knife. Kichi and the others had long since taught him to survive on such, even less, that what he carried with him now. Even if the did manage to take his stuff it wouldn't kill him.

"Netto-kun, where are we going?" Rockman asked. So far the PET hadn't suffered any strange effects from the mountains...yet.

"There's a grove of willow trees near a small river not to far away from here," Netto replied. "I've used it as a campsite before, and I'll be able to hear anyone if they try to sneak up on me."

"Why would someone sneak up on us?"

"Because my cousins like to make things difficult. Besides, its a good way to eliminate a lot of people right at once. If they can't survive without the supplies they brought, they won't be able to last a week, period."

"And you think you can?" Rockman asked with a smile.

Netto grinned back. "Yes. I've done it before, after all."

"If you say so."

It was getting dark by the time Netto reached the grove he'd told Rockman about. It was a group of about six to seven willows, their branches hanging low to the ground. Some of the branches rested against the slow moving waters of the river. The branches were thick, and screened the rest of the forest from view. Netto set up his camp underneath one of the larger trees, camp consisting of laying his blanket out on the ground and hiding his backpack in a hollow in the tree. It was warm enough that he didn't need a fire, and without the light to betrey where he was, he might not be noticed. The cousins would know where he was, he knew someone was probably watching him right now. But the other net battlers would have no clue where he was. Depsite the rules Kichi had laid out, Netto was willing to bet a few of them would try to get rid of their competition.

"Netto-kun, why did Kichi say that electronic items don't work here? The PET seems to be working just fine," Rockman asked.

Netto, who was laying down, sat up and looked at his navi. "Sometimes certain things work, while others don't. No one really knows why. Its just always been like that. Nana thinks it has something to do with the kind of rock the core of the mountains are made out of. Something that interferes with electromagnetic fields or something like that. Personally I haven't the slightest idea. If something does happen, the worse possibility is that I'll loose contact with you for awhile. Its nothing serious."

"That's good to hear," Rockman replied.

Netto was quiet for a few minutes, listening to the sounds of the crickets, which were quite loud up in the mountains. There were a few night birds singing, and somewhere nearby he heard an owl hooting. The air was a bit humid, and Netto was a little worried that it might rain. If that happened though, he had a back-up plan. That had been one of the first things Kichi had drilled into him as a young child. Always have a back-up plan in case the first one failed. There were a set of caves not to far from the willow grove that would be a good shelter to wait out the storm. The only reason Netto hadn't gone there first was because the willow grove was closer and because he would be able to hear anyone trying to sneak up on him.

After awhile Netto began to feel drowsy. Looking at his PET he saw that Rockman had already chosen to go to sleep. With a sigh Netto stretched out on his blanket and closed his eyes. Just as he was beginning to doze Netto heard a twig snap. With a grin Netto forced himself to lie still, keeping his eyes half-shut so as to see who was coming. It was a tall figure who entered the grove, one of Netto's cousins, of course. Which one it was Netto wasn't sure, since the person was completely dressed in black. Netto waited for the person to come within reach, then reached out and grabbed his/her ankle. The cousin gave a startled cry, then began to laugh. A hood was removed, and Kerr's cheerful face appeared from the darkness.

"I should have known better," Kerr said, shaking his head.

"I heard you coming," was all Netto said in reply.

Kerr shook his head ruefully. "Well, that was a failed challenge on my part. Looks like you pass this test."

"I figured you guys would try something," Netto replied with a grin. "Better luck next time."

"I hope so, kid. I'm just looking for a chance to beat you!"

"In your dreams."

Kerr shook his head one more time and left the grove. Netto lied back down, now much more relaxed. He knew perfectly well that his cousins would only try something once each day, since they had _some_ sense of fair play. Maybe tomorrow he would find out exactly who had lost their supplies and who hadn't. It would be great if Enzan had failed, but somehow Netto figured he hadn't. And even if he had, Enzan wouldn't be the kind of person to give up right away. On that thought, Netto fell asleep.

*****

Like Netto, Enzan had sensed that something was going to happen that first night, and had taken measures against any kind of tricks. In other words, he had set up a small camp, and was now keeping an eye out for anyone trying to sneak up on him. Twice he had thought he'd heard footsteps, and another time he'd been certain he'd heard whispers, but he'd not seen anyone in the darkness.

Very briefly Enzan wondered how Netto was fairing, and smirked at the thought. That kid didn't have a clue about anything. If he thought he could be Enzan then he was in for a rude awakening. The only reason Netto was in this contest was because the lady holding it was his great-grandmother. The second-rate net battler didn't stand a chance against Enzan.

"Enzan-sama, shouldn't you be resting?" Blues asked softly.

"I'll be fine, Blues. This isn't the first time I've done something like this," Enzan replied.

"Yes, Sir."

Blues fell silent, and Enzan went back to watching the forest. He'd thought about leaving his PET at home, but had eventually decided against it. Even if it didn't work at times, there would undoubtably be times when it would come in handy. One never knew about such things.

*****

Kichi stood on the branch of a large tree, watching Enzan. She'd tried to sneak up on him a couple of times, but had had to stop each time because he'd heard her. It irked her, but she had to admit that he was good. She would just have to catch him at some other point. One way or another she was going to have some fun with him.

"No luck with him?" Darius asked, appearing next to Kichi. Like her and Kerr, Darius was also dressed all in black.

"Nope. He's been watching for me since he set up camp. How did your targets fair?"

Darius smiled. "Lets just say that some of them are going to wake up to a nasty surprise when they see all their supplies are gone."

Kichi smiled. "Then we should leave and prepare for the next challenges. Come on."

Both Kichi and Darius took off through the trees, disappearing into the darkness of the forest, laughing softly for the games that were soon to come.