MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ The Road Not Shown ❯ One Man's Journey into Darkness ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:I do not own Rockman/Megaman. It belongs to Capcom. I do own Vanessa Wily-Shingure, Agito Shingure, Ryu Shingure. This story takes place several years before the Rockman.EXE series.

The Road Not Shown
By David Knight

Prologue: One Man's Journey into Darkness

Doctor Albert Wily sat his desk working at his terminal. The years had been both good and bad to him. It seemed like the bad always came first to his mind. His company World Com had been betrayed from greedy workers from with in, making deals with another company, J-Tech, so that they could absorb it into their own and take all of his research to their own ends.

_They regretted it only as they faced their ends._ A smile came to his face as he thought of how he had easily hacked into their systems, and caused havoc to J-Tech's main system. Even if they were going to buy out his company, he would take them with him as well as take their money. He figured it was enough of a penance for them to pay. Recently he had heard that a company called Gabcom had absorbed them.

However he had no real concerns with the business world at this time. He was much happier working as an independent thinker, conducting his own business over the net, which in his own mind had several problems. _ Tadashi never wanted to listen to my advice. Even when we were working together._ Wily closed his eyes for a moment as he remembered the only man great enough to be his rival as well as the only scientist that he ever respected: Tadashi Hikari. He had attended the funeral two years ago, though kept his distance from most people. He wasn't a friend, but he had respect for the man.

He saw Yuuichiro Hikari, Tadashi's only son, along with his wife there at the funeral along with their very young son, though they did not see him. From what he heard Yuuichiro was following in his father's footsteps. _Like father like son_ Wily mused. _Though in my case that could not be said... as I had a daughter._

He looked over the left hand side of his desk and there were two pictures there. The first was of Albert Wily himself over twenty years ago with a beautiful blonde woman with green eyes. In front of the two was a young girl with green eyes and sandy blonde hair. The older woman was his much missed and dearly departed wife Miranda. The young girl was their only offspring, Vanessa.

The other was of Wily looking much like he did now, his daughter now a grown woman, a Japanese man with black hair, blue eyes and who was slightly older than her stood beside her. Vanessa had on her lap a very young little boy with sandy blonde hair and blue green eyes. The older man was her husband and Wily's son in law Agito Shingure.

The little boy was their son, his grandson, Ryu. The happiest moment in Albert Wily's life had to be seeing the birth of his grandson. He had never seen his daughter so happy when she held her newborn child in her arms for the first time.

She had not followed in his path though with technology and computers, preferring to work in the arts, becoming a designer. Her husband was a teacher of history. That was probably the only regret he had, that he had no heir, no one showing the same gift or interest into technology that he had.

As long as his daughter was happy with her life, Wily didn't have a problem with it. He would just find another way to leave his mark on the world. Something that carry the Wily name for many years to come even after his...

*ring ring ring*

Hearing the video phone go off, Wily turned it on, though to his surprise found it to be with what looked to be a police detective.

"Doctor Albert Wily?"

"Yes can I help you?" Wily asked.

"I am sorry to be the bear of bad news, but there's been an accident with the Metroline in Densan City. It derailed and crashed... there were very few survivors."

Albert Wily began to get a very sinking and very disturbing feeling then, _Oh God... God don't let him say what I think he will..._

"Among the bodies with identification we found one Agito Shingure and Vanessa Wily-Shingure."

* * *

The next hour went by without even noticing it. All Wily could do was listen to the man tell him about the accident. How the system had apparently had a glitch in it because of some wiring done on the net. They were ruling it as an accident and not some sort of deliberate sabotage. The way the man spoke the whole time was made Wily angry on the inside.

_Who the hell does he think he is offering me his false sincerity and condolences!_he growled, thinking about the man who had given him a smile and offered his condolences once he had hanged up on him. _That man couldn't even care less about my family! Every day I you hear of an accident and no one thinks anything of it! All because of the net and no one bothers to check the problem, relying on the system that was created. Are they all fools?!_

He couldn't take it, everything he loved, he cherished, gone in an instant... because of some stupid glitch?! "I refuse to accept that!" Wily roared as he picked up his chair and threw it across the room. He threw his files and books off of shelves; smashed his fists into the walls, trying to release his anger, release his pain.

Finally, he collapsed against the wall and slid to the ground, mourning the death of his only child. "Vanessa!" he wailed as thought of his daughter, thought of her mother, his wife who died because of cancer before they had discovered the cure. Twice had been cheated by society. He had lost his family. He had lost his entire...

_Wait!_Wily froze, remembering one very important thing even with his mind as it was.

He still had someone.

* * *

Eight-year-old Ryu Shingure sat with the rest of his class listing to Yuriko-sensei give her lecture.

_At least she doesn't make us fall asleep like our last teacher did._ Ryu mused. He noticed how many of his classmates had PETs, some of them didn't and Ryu was among them. His parents weren't too much into technology. Ryu wanted to learn as much as he could and liked Yuriko-sensei's classes as she was helping her students to develop understanding the basics of the net even at their age.

Just then there was a knock on the door that lead into the classroom and everyone saw Yuriko-sensei go there. After several moments she turned around and spoke, "Shingure Ryu, you're being excused from class today and the rest of the week. Your Grandfather is here for you."

"Grandfather?" Ryu questioned but gathered his things into his pack and left the class. Once he was out of the door he saw his grandfather standing right there. He looked tired and exhausted. "Grandfather? Why are you here?"

"We... are going to go get your things from your home." Wily said slowly to him.

"Why? Am I going to sleep over with you while mother and father are away? I thought they'd come back from Osaka today for dinner." Ryu asked but saw his grandfather not look at him. "Grandfather... what's going on?"

"Ryu, please..." Wily strained to say, his voice strained and the young boy saw that.

"Grandfather why do you sound so sad? What's wrong?" Ryu asked curiously, "Did something happen?"

"Ryu... please... I don't want to talk about it here..." Wily asked, "Let's just go get your things from your old home..."

"Old home?" Ryu asked, "Did mother and father buy a new house?" Wily didn't answer, not even looking at the boy and that's when he realized it, "... mother... father... that's why you are sad isn't it?"

"Ryu..."

"Where are they Grandfather?" the young boy demanded to know, he felt like he was about to cry, "What happened to them? Are they okay? Where are they?!"

When Wily hung his head, Ryu finally realized why he was excused from class... and why his grandfather was here. "... Nooooo!!!" He wailed as wrapped his arms around his grandfather, tears now flowing from his face, "Mother! Father! They can't be gone! Mama and Papa would never leave me! Never!"

People were now staring at him, how could they not after hearing his screams. But Ryu didn't care. He just cried out and screamed again, hugging his grandfather tightly because he thought if he let go of him, he'd be gone like his parents were now.

And then he would truly be alone.

* * *

Wily had hoped to avoid this, had hoped his grandson would guessed the truth until they were in the privacy of their own home. He had guessed wrong.

He felt strange, Ryu holding on to him as if his very life depended on it. It was very strange indeed. Still, he gave him what the boy needed. Comfort, the ability to let his emotions go, to let it all out. He wasn't of the age of knowing how to keep your emotions inside could be used to give one strength.

Just like how he was doing. He would use his anger, his grief and his rage and direct it at the ones that were responsible for this injustice. The death of his daughter, the pain inflicted upon him and his grandson.

_Someone will pay for all of this,_ Wily vowed, _The Net is not the perfect society that everyone thinks. It is flawed... and for mankind to move on it must be torn down and replaced with a better one. Tadashi, your dream ended with your death. Now I will shatter what is left and from its ashes I will create a legacy so great, that no one will ever forget the name of Wily. No one!_

To Be Continued...