Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ Love Lost ❯ Love Lost ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Love Lost
By Cale Kuecker

Disclaimer: I in no way own Monster Rancher or any other the characters in this story, either present or mentioned.

******************************************************* ******************************

I stand here just staring at you. Your red hair falls between your shoulder blades, and your face is like that of an angel. You're so lovely to my eye, and all I can think about is wanting you to be mine. I remember when our quest first started, when it was just you and me. You depended on me then. I was your protector. And I loved every minute of it. I still remember when you used to wake up screaming, the nightmares of our village's destruction. I was there for you. I remember how your soft skin felt against mine, how your tears slowly left when I comforted you. We were inseperable.
And then HE came along.
Genki, who just appeared out nowhere, and suddenly, our little team grew. And it seemed like every new monster was a thousand times tougher than me, and you grew further from me. You started turning to Genki to protect you, then you stood by him in battle. Hare was right about me then. Against the tough opponents, what could I do. I did try my hardest to make myself useful, to win you back, but Genki was always better. And he was human. How can I compete? It's unfair. I was the one who helped you get over our village's destruction, not him. I kept us both one step ahead of the Black Dinos for those weeks, but then Genki had to come along and outshine me by destroy them. Even with my new teleport attack, I can't outdo him.
And the worst part is, I can't even say I hate him. Sure, it would have been easy to hate him in the beginning, when all he was was a bratty little kid bragging about how well he did on a game. He was so smug, so intent on proving he was the "Monster Champ." A part of me, a part I know I'm proud of, wishes he'd died a braggert's death, being overpowered by those Black Dinos. Even now, even after all the times he's saved your life when I couldn't. Even when he's saved me so many times.
He makes you happy doesn't he. You smile more when you're around him, more then you ever did around me. He makes you laugh even when I can't. I remember when you told how our village was destroyed. You were crying afterward and I was Genki who made you happy.
The truth is becomming all too clear to me, even if I don't like it. Genki is perfect for you, and you're perfect for him. You two may not know it, but I can see it. And that fact depresses me more than any other. More than Moo eventually catching us, more than the Phoenix's possible non-exisance. But still I know there's one good thing. I can change it. Someday I'll prove to you that I'm the one you want. I'll make you mine, Holly, even if I have to stop Moo on my own to impress you. I know in my heart that I can make you happy. And that's really all that matters to me.

************************************************************** ***********************

Well, I know this may be a little sappy, but still, it came to me and I wanted to put it on the net. If you like it, please review it.