Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Flux ❯ Demon Overload ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I had my memory erased. I don't remember doing any of the above, below, before and after. It isn't my fault the original stuff is so good, Imitation/Emulation IS a form of flattery?

N O W

ONWARD!!

Demon Flux Chapter 5

It hadn't just been the arcade, pastry shop, and ramen. It had been a toy store, a park, a mall, a hardware store (by accident) and a library (also by accident). Kurama had suggested the zoo and a museum at midday. Everyone was exhausted and happy to be heading back to Yusuke's. But, that's when things started to go very wrong.

Kurama and Hiei sensed them first, stopping in the middle of the street and becoming still and quiet. Yusuke felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up and he reached out to grab Naruto's shoulder. "Naruto, wait just a moment."

He then looked back at Hiei, who replied "There are four of them."

"Yes" Kurama added, "But two of them are more powerful than the others, and they have failed to mask themselves."

Yusuke clenched his teeth, "Which way?"

"They're headed this way."

"Right" said Yusuke "Let's take this to the park, shall we?"

Yusuke grabbed the collar of Naruto's jacket and started running in that direction.

"We're going to be meeting up with some very rude guys, Naruto." "Just stick close to me; hopefully we'll mop them up without too much trouble."

Naruto ran next to Yusuke and none of the four stopped until they were in a clearing. Out of the shadows and to their left came a swishing sound. Naruto couldn't tell what was happening, but he could feel his knees trembling.

Something was coming and Naruto had never felt this way before.

Naruto's eyes widened when they appeared, his pupils dilating until the dark black was clearly defined in the pool of baby blue, they were hideous, and huge!!

The tallest was by far the ugliest, with a wide, muscular and greenish tinted body, black hair billowing out from around his shoulders. The next one barely reached the waist of the larger; in fact, he was comparable in size to Yusuke, but with red, tight skin and sunken eyes. There were two figures behind them in cloaks, but even so, Naruto could sense vast energy spreading around them like waves.

He shuddered.

`These are, they are, demons?!!?'

None of them spoke for what seemed an eternity, until the green giant thundered out,

"We've come to challenge Urameshi, Yusuke, the Spirit Detective."

"Why him?" Yusuke yelled back.

"Because when we succeed in killing him, we will earn a name for ourselves - everyone will fear us!"

"Thinking it's as easy as that, eh?" replied Yusuke "Either you're really brave or just plain stupid. My vote is on the latter."

The demon growled and stretched his arms over his head, his spirit power crackling as he moved.

Naruto's eyes shifted from the demon to Yusuke and back, what was going to happen?

All of the sudden, the smaller red demon disappeared. Naruto looked around frantically, seeing nothing of the demon anywhere. Beside him, Yusuke was only shifting his eyes, trying to sense the attack and keeping his eyes on the others in front of him. It was only an instant where he sensed the presence, and he knew that he might not be able to avoid the attack. But, suddenly Hiei was there to block it with his sword, the demon screaming out in pain as the sword cut through his outstretched hand, a foamy liquid dripping from the gash and then leaking out from similar cuts that suddenly formed all over his body, before he fell apart completely. Naruto sucked in his breath. Hiei blinked at Yusuke. Yusuke wasn't wasting a heartbeat; he was beginning his run forward toward the larger demon.

~~The Village~~

It had been like this everyday since Naruto had been missing, the Hokage mused. He had slackened on his tirade of surprise attacks, running around with his friends only after he was done with practice, Konohamaru was throwing himself with energy into his schooling. But, even the Hokage could sense the volatility building up within his grandson over Naruto's disappearance, so much so, that it didn't surprise him when he heard of the chance encounter between Konohamaru, Sakura and Sasuke. He heard of it soon after it had occurred from a very reliable source, an agitated and embarrassed Iruka.

Konohamaru had apparently been wandering aimlessly towards the sweet shop, but jumped back upon seeing Sakura and Sasuke returning from training practice. He tightened his fists and began fuming, yelling, "You! Where is leader?! Naruto left because of you!!" Iruka had at that moment come out of the sweet shop, halting only because he heard Naruto's name. He stopped dead in his tracks and looked at them. Everyone was visibly shaken to the core by the outburst.

Iruka was the first to react, he strode to Konohamaru and grasped his shoulder, "Kono-, but he couldn't continue because in that instant Konohamaru yelled out, "Leave me alone!" and then "Transform!!"

Soon he was free of Iruka's grasp and running away, and Sasuke and Sakura could only blink and marvel at how he had done it. On the ground, trying to stifle a nosebleed was Iruka. His look of utter disbelief as he lay on the ground was the only reminder, that only moments before Konohamaru had become a sexy brown haired vision of beauty, through the skill of the "Sexy no Jutsu", and that he had almost been as good as, the master, Naruto.

~~Earth~~

Yusuke recklessly rushed forward, punching the ugly demon with such force that the crater that formed on his face could only be the work of the famous spirit detective. But, the creature recovered quickly and seemed unfazed as he delivered a likewise forceful punch to Yusuke's side, sending him flying.

"Yusuke!!"

Naruto rushed forward to the winded fighter as the demon bore down on both of them - his huge fist suddenly coming from nowhere, to flatten them both in a matter of seconds.

Kurama and Hiei both gasped, but in that instant, before the fist impacted with their bodies, Naruto acted.

The giant demon lifted his fist from the ground chuckling, only to find, a splintered log??

"Hey, you big moron!, Over here!!"

The green monster turned to see a blue light streaking towards him, the crackling energy setting his hairs on end, and his body evaporated, as soul energy ripped his cells apart.

Yusuke slapped Naruto on the back and grinned, "Thanks Naruto, you saved my ass."

Naruto grinned back and bounced happily. "Ha! Ha! I did it!!!"

Yusuke stood and jabbed a fist at him, which Naruto met with his own, "You sure did, and that was a really great technique." He then swiveled and took his fighting stance again, looking in the direction of the two cloaked figures "All right, two down, two to go."

"Wait, Yusuke."

It was Kurama. He was standing off to the side and looking at the demons as well, a light shining in his eyes unlike anything Yusuke had seen before.

Kurama flashed Yusuke a grin, pure enough in its sincerity, but deadly by the weight of its viciousness.

"I know they are here for you Yusuke, that this is your fight; however my honor demands that I fight them, concerning an old score that must be settled."

Yusuke hesitated.

Kurama bowed his head, his eyes hidden by his bangs, "Please, Yusuke."

Yusuke looked at his friend and nodded.

"Seeing as how Hiei already kept me from being worm fodder, and Naruto got me out of the way, when someone takes on Urameshi, Yusuke, then I guess they are taking on team Urameshi."

"Thanks, Yusuke."

Kurama then walked forward, removing a flower from behind his hair and flourishing it in a twisting and circular pattern above his head. Naruto gasped as rose petals flew about in a delicious fashion, and a long, green, thorny whip materialized in Kurama's hand.

"Just watch, Naruto, here's a chance to see Kurama in action."

Naruto looked up into Yusuke's eyes and understood the glimmer there, admiration for a fellow fighter, and he turned to watch.

Hiei materialized next to them, "His speed was fast and his power was well hidden" he paused "You did not see the attack until it was too late."

(Hiei is referring to the deceased red demon that is now beginning to look like sushi.)

"I know it." Yusuke smarted. "I would've been out for weeks, and of no good to anyone. I think I am overdue for some training" he finished sheepishly.

Hiei didn't look at him. `To act foolishly and recklessly is in your nature, Yusuke.'

He thought.

` - but you are not as weak as you are making yourself out to be, you would have withstood that attack, you didn't need me there and you know it, so why are you are saying this?' Hiei looked at Naruto and blinked. `Did he purposely let that demon get so close, did he pretend to be so unsure, did he say and do all that, because of him?!? Why?!?'

Hiei was torn from his thoughts at gasps from both Yusuke and Naruto. The first of the cloaked demons had succeeded in turning Kurama's attack against him, and he had been thrown, to land against a tree.

Yusuke was about to run to him, because both demons were now moving towards the winded Kurama, but Hiei ordered him to stop adding, "It's his personal fight now, and he's only just beginning." Kurama was getting up, the demons gathered around him getting ready to attack, their full spirit energy finally revealed.

"Hm. Interesting." murmured Hiei.

"Eh?" said Yusuke

Hiei shot him an annoyed glance.

"These demons rarely show themselves - they are reclusive and make their way by thievery, betrayal, and assassination, I am not surprised Kurama wants revenge against them, no doubt they are rogue demons, they probably played a part in betraying him once upon a time, but even so, they didn't come here specifically for him. That makes them even more dangerous, because they know that they must live in order to complete their task, to kill you, so their fight with Kurama will determine quickly how much power they have at their disposal. They will use everything they have in order to win."

Yusuke blinked. Hiei blinked.

"You've never, started Yusuke.

"Shut up and watch the fight, idiot." interrupted Hiei.

Hiei, Yusuke, and Naruto then focused their attention, as Kurama squared off against the two demons once again. All three were swift, and Kurama was mostly defending himself with his whip against their manifestations of power, thin ropes of energy that snaked from their bodies, creating a vast web -that eventually surrounded Kurama. It closed in on him, becoming thicker in its density, smothering him, and soon Kurama was no longer visible, only the two fighters, a glowing energy ball between them, growing even smaller as it condensed further.

Then suddenly, a flash of energy, and the ball was no more, the demons chuckled, and turned their attention towards the rest of the Urameshi gang.

Yusuke's and Hiei's faces were grim as they watched the demons advance, Yusuke pulled the trembling Naruto behind him and took his fighting stance.

But a voice halted everything, and it was a welcome surprise.

"You do not remember me, you underestimated me because I was in a human form, that will be your undoing, and I will show you no mercy."

Hiei wore an evil, sickening smile. "In the end, they weren't very powerful at all."

In the shadows of the clearing, to the left of Yusuke and Hiei, a large presence manifested and emerged, a large, a large fox! A Fox! Naruto's breath hitched. Next to him Yusuke did the same. This huge presence, emanating spirit power of extraordinary concentration, was no ordinary fox, it was Kurama, it had to be, and no other could be the cause of this large fox form with rippling silver fur, piercing red eyes, and numerous tails, it was Youko Kurama!

Naruto felt like he was staring at something from his nightmares, from the legend of the village, his very being shook with fear. For the first time in his life he had some idea of what those brave shinobi had felt, that fateful night, when the nine tailed demon fox had come to attack Leaf Village. His eyes widened in terror, and he unconsciously clutched at his stomach, the imagery was just too real to block out and ignore.

Kurama descended on the two terrified demons, their panicking obvious despite their cloaks, just by the way they were yelling and calling out his name with pleas for mercy, mercy which he did not show, because with a barely a movement from Kurama, they were dispatched.

Yusuke blinked and then looked at Naruto, and suddenly he grabbed the boy, carrying him and walking back toward the apartments. He ignored Hiei's call from behind his back and continued on walking, now even faster. He could feel the boy trembling, making him angry. Yusuke tried to work through his feelings. If he took on faith everything Naruto had said, then it was unfair! It was one thing to have to see demons as commonplace, to know their power and have to fight them. But, to have grown up as Naruto had, and to know that you carried something as evil as that inside of you, knowing full well that it had determined your past, and was playing a part in shaping your very existence, Yusuke gritted his teeth, to endure this all alone, it was very unfair, it was something Yusuke didn't even want to contemplate. What he did understand however, was that Naruto was different, he wasn't THE DEMON, he wasn't A DEMON, and he had to become strong, for himself and for others.

Yusuke entered the apartment and placed Naruto on his sleeping mat. He then went to his own.

`Botan had better get here soon, Naruto needs to get home, and he needs to get stronger in his own element, in his own way.'

TO BE CONT.