Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Flux ❯ In too Deep ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Demon Flux
By Starshifter

Rating: G, PG (Actually I have no clue, you tell me. It can vary with each chapter?)

Warnings: Slight Angst, violence (I try to keep actual bloody gore and killings to a minimum)

Pairings: None (barely even hints), Not yaoi or yuri.

Spoilers: I am not sure. It depends on where you are in my timelines ^_^. If you have seen the episodes or read the manga past them, virtually none.

Timelines:

For Yu Yu Hakusho: It has varied. Now I want to say before the Dark Tournament, although it was originally intended for afterwards. Definitely after Yusuke's fight with the Saint Beasts.

For Naruto: This timeline is more concrete. Between Wave Country and the Chuunin exam.


Summary: Naruto is pulled into Yusuke's world. The YYH gang and Naruto return to Leaf Village and continue their adventures together.

Disclaimer: Why do I bother? No I don't own them. I just like to write about my favorite anime people. Bite Me.


Feedback: Yes, please!

ONWARD!!!

***************

This chapter was intended to be up before the beginning of April. I guess my beta got swamped. That's fine, but I am tired of waiting. When it gets revised…it does. If she hadn't volunteered, I wouldn't have cared. So I guess I still don't. I don't care about the mistakes, but I do mind having to wait in posting chapters. I don't write the next chapter until one is posted. It's not like I am writing these things in advance….I am doing this all for fun. It's my stress relief. So anyway, leave some reviews! I hope you enjoy!

-star

******************

Demon Flux: Chapter Twelve

Kurama, Naruto and Sasuke continued their journey after a night by a warm fire and underneath a starlit sky. They eventually made their way to the large gash in the landscape. Kurama found a choice spot to descend, and together they jumped, slid, and walked to the bottom of the chasm. They walked the length, finding the originating point after about an hour. Looking back over the distance they had covered, Kurama realized two things. First, the force of impact had been from above ground and tunneling down. The pressure had then increased and magnified, until it was released in concentrated form towards the direction they had come from. The rock face was actually smoother along the path of trajectory. Kurama was also disturbed by the fact that there was little to no actual debris in the pit, meaning that layer upon layer of dirt and rock had instantly been pulverized. And no one would have had warning, the impact and collapse would have been simultaneous.

When Sasuke climbed out of the pit after Naruto and Kurama, he found them still and tense, their backs toward him. Looking forward, he saw two Ninja's clothed in black, their faces covered. The only distinguishing feature was a red band tied to each right arm. In the blink of an eye the trio was surrounded by the deadly and unemotional puppets they had faced earlier. While Sasuke was forced to concentrate on the puppets surrounding him, Kurama and Naruto were similarly engaged.

Kurama sliced through his opponents easily enough with his rose whip, but they were quickly replaced, clay fragments littering the ground at his feet. Naruto fought using clones, staging different attacks, sometimes utilizing multiple clones, and at other times using himself as a projectile to knock his opponents down. His fists flew as well, and well aimed punches shattered his opponent's faces into pieces.

Sasuke used his fire no jutsu too at times, and although it did not deter his opponents, it enabled the small ninja the time needed to strategically place himself. He crouched low and brought them down with a power filled kick. They toppled like dominoes.

Kurama managed to fight his way to the two ninjas first. He engaged them both, using his whip, and it proved to be a defense for him than a deterrent to them. Instead, they operated jointly, one serving to distract him while the other rushed to attack the seemingly weaker boys. Kurama`s face curled in obvious displeasure as Naruto and Sasuke flew backwards, each landing forcefully against a tree. They had been propelled by the force of the chakra released from the other Ninja. His attack had involved a quickly performed sign and the creation of a force field of chakra released from his palms. Kurama abandoned his rose whip for hand to hand combat. His skill in martial arts enabled him to skillfully avoid the attacks of the other Ninja, his speed increased, and he came to know the style of movement of his opponent. It was only seconds after the attack on Naruto and Sasuke that he had his opponent down. He studied his other opponent, and was also aware that his companions were quickly recovering.

His intent was to distract his opponent long enough for Naruto and Sasuke to take him by surprise. But, he grew more aware that his opponent expected that of them. His hesitation would cost him he knew, but he could not see a reasonable outcome from a direct attack and he was stymied.

Suddenly, his opponent fell forward, unconscious. Kurama couldn't believe his eyes, because Iruka stood there, his hand still poised in the air where he had struck the Ninja.

Naruto's voice broke him from his trance, as the small blond haired Ninja rushed to his sensei.

The victorious combatants were barely given time to breathe as Iruka directed them quickly on how to tie and secure their opponents, and drag them to a more secluded location. It was obvious that he had just come from a battle. His clothing was scruffy and dirty, and blood trickled down from a cut on his left cheek. When Naruto saw this he made a move forward, to wipe it away, but Iruka only extended a hand to keep him away. He shook his head and jerked his head, "Quickly, take some cover, I need to be sure I wasn't followed." They obeyed quickly, and they found adequate shelter in the brush.

Minutes passed before Iruka emerged and slumped against a tree near him wearily. He raised an eyebrow as the others emerged and came near. He observed the scene around them before his eyes alighted on Kurama.

"Have you found any sign of Yusuke?"

Kurama shook his head but said grimly "But, this is the place where he was with Naruto."

Iruka nodded. "I can't fathom what caused that type of damage to the landscape; I hope the Hokage realizes the possible danger that the power used here could cause real damage to the village."

Kurama squatted next to him and glanced at Naruto and Sasuke. "I am sure he is very much aware of the danger and possibilities."

Sasuke looked at his Sensei

"You were sent after us alone?"

Iruka nodded.

"I was instructed to find you, and bring you back. But, I was informed I couldn't summon any Anbu to assist me, their forces are already being heavily used. I was attacked upon half a mile of leaving the village, so I cannot assume it would be safer to return with you now. It looks like my only option is to go with you instead."

Kurama nodded. "That would be a reasonable choice considering that our enemies already seem to have a strategically placed their forces. And it would be prudent to leave here immediately, because this area is high in their traffic." Almost to himself he murmured, "Their encampment cannot be more than a day's journey over that rise."

"Yes" Iruka replied.

Kurama's group traveled a little further before realizing that their cover of brush and trees was quickly disappearing. The terrain was quickly becoming dominated by jagged rock faces that hid caves and low scraggly bushes dotted here and there. Iruka's knowledge of the area was also limited, but he admitted that this landscape would probably continue to the border. Their chances of reaching enemy territory successfully had diminished with the available cover.

Kurama considered the possibilities and eliminated two options quickly. He realized that they were seeking enemy territory without a plan and with little hope of finding and retrieving Yusuke if they also got captured. He briefly considered letting themselves get captured, as a means of getting closer to the enemy, as well as masquerading as defects from the Leaf. But he dismissed both, not trusting that he or his group would be able to pull off such an act. He also knew he placed the key at risk if they were by chance searched.

After a quick discussion they decided to wait until dusk to continue moving, and give Iruka a chance to also catch up on resting. They waited, sitting within the branches of the trees and watching the world around them. Kurama considered it lucky that no one came near them at that time.

At dusk they set out, weaving between bushed and large openings and valleys between the natural rock faces jutting from the ground. It was just as they passed a particularly unique cave formation, with a shape that almost seemed man-made, that Kurama was forced to stop. He had felt a dark aura as he passed, chills running along his body, his ki rushing prematurely into activity. With a quick shrug he continued on and tried to forget the unnatural pull he had felt towards the entrance until he heard Iruka call out to Naruto. He turned and found the boy standing just as he had been, but his eyes averted to the dark entrance. It had not been a coincidence then, if Naruto also felt the foreboding chill as he had passed, Yusuke would have to wait. Hopefully, Hiei had managed to find him, because Kurama could not afford to ignore this new development. Kurama stepped forward and laid a hand on Iruka's shoulder.

"It seems our plans have changed, we have to go into the cave."

Iruka turned on him in surprise, "What do you mean?"

Kurama nodded to the mouth of the cave as Naruto turned on his heels and ran towards them, finally responding to Iruka's call to catch up.

"There is something in that cave; I have felt a very strong ki emerging from deep within. Almost like it is calling me to enter." Kurama frowned "It could be dangerous, but I must follow this feeling instead, and hope that my paths will cross with Yusuke soon."

Iruka looked at the red -haired boy in awe.

Kurama looked perplexed and added, "I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you and the boys will join me, this is not going to be a quick excursion."

Iruka's eyes flashed and he stood straighter and gave a quick nod.

"Of course, we will go."

After checking their supplies and gathering wood for torches, they moved to the entrance of the cave. It was smaller than it had seemed from a distance, and they were forced to move in one by one. Kurama's words ran true as the light grew dimmer and they were forced to light their torches; in front of them was a tunnel, sloping and leading deeper into the underground.

Sasuke looked to the walls and saw their shadows faintly reflected on the surface. It was then he noticed the hieroglyphics and moved in closer.

"What is that, a dog?" Naruto piped up behind him.

"No baka it's a…."

….fox" Iruka breathed out quietly.

They directed their torches at the walls after that, and found them covered with symbols and hieroglyphics. They were silent as they tried briefly to decipher them. But after an hour, they found it to be a fruitless endeavor. With their patience wearing thin, they turned and entered the tunnel.