Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Flux ❯ Unseen Foes and Uneven Ground ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I apologize whole heartedly for the delay. My beta is getting slower and slower. I ask how it is going and then I am told she's working on it. I give up. I am tired of trying to please everybody, so things will happen when they happen.

Demon Flux
By Starshifter

Rating: G, PG (Actually I have no clue, you tell me. It can vary with each chapter?)

Warnings: Slight Angst, violence (I try to keep actual bloody gore and killings to a minimum)

Pairings: None (barely even hints), Not yaoi or yuri.

Spoilers: I am not sure. It depends on where you are in my timelines ^_^. If you have seen the episodes or read the manga past them, virtually none.

Timelines:

For Yu Yu Hakusho: It has varied. Now I want to say before the Dark Tournament, although it was originally intended for afterwards. Definitely after Yusuke's fight with the Saint Beasts.

For Naruto: This timeline is more concrete. Between Wave Country and the Chuunin exam.


Summary: Naruto is pulled into Yusuke's world. The YYH gang and Naruto return to Leaf Village and continue their adventures together.

******************

Disclaimer: I originally started this for the hell of it. I am still writing for the hell of it. Or was that for the fun of it? I don't know anymore. Read it, Love it, Hate it. Just don't whine at me, cause I don't own the characters, the TV series or the manga. I am just a lowly fan trying to express my clumsy love. Oh, yeah.

***************

Feedback: Yes, please!

ONWARD!!!

Demon Flux Chapter Eleven

For the benefit of the readers:

*Name = the viewpoint of, thoughts of or character in the paragraph that follows, I am splitting up everyone for awhile; they are all over the place! ^_^

This style is a one time deal, an experiment if you will, so don't get all uppity. =)


* Yusuke

When Yusuke woke, it was dark; so dark in fact, that he could not see his hand in front of his face. He knew he wasn't in the pit any longer. This place was dry, closed off. A cave. He slowly eased himself up from the ground, testing his muscles. They seemed stiff after what felt like months of disuse. Some of his injuries had been mostly from shock, and he only needed to carefully work his body into shape. His spirit energy flared at his command, assuring him that the healing process on his greater injuries had taken place during his sleep. He frowned. It occurred to him however, that to battle with a particularly nasty demon in his condition, would still put him in a tight spot. Warily and still unsure of his surroundings in the darkness, he struggled to stand. Chains jangled. He was chained by the feet? How primitive. His fingers prodded the walls of the cave and the ground at his feet. All the surfaces were smooth, nothing to grip onto or hold. He tried adjusting his eyes as he moved, seeking any source of light, but he was met with that same inky darkness. He heard a noise to his right, and gradually he became aware of light, lengthening rays coming to meet him from a distance. Two figures soon came into view, the light coming from the torches they carried. Yusuke slid back to ground to wait for them to arrive.


* Hiei

Hiei surveyed the area. He was situated on a tall pine on the edge of a deep chasm. The tree had barely escaped the destruction by a few feet, some of the larger roots exposed here and there along the overhang. It had almost suffered the same fate as the rest of the forest, now a wasteland far below him. It was a sharp drop off; nature had been gutted leaving behind a bare and exposed wound. He could tell that it was not a natural phenomenon that had occurred; there was no activity of that kind in the area, leading him to conclude that the damage had been wrought by something or someone with immense power. His eyes narrowed. Once again, he scanned the area, but he did so knowing that his effort was wasted. However, Hiei was determined not to miss any indication of Yusuke's presence. Completing his sweep, he paused momentarily, then jumped from tree branch to tree branch until he was once again settled on the ground, and traveling through the brush behind him at great speed.

* Yusuke


Yusuke eyed his captors carefully. He was able to tell that these masked Shinobi were not from the Leaf, or at least he felt it must be so by their lack of headbands. But, they also lacked any other identifying marks, so Yusuke was slightly perplexed. Didn't Naruto acquaint him with all the village symbols? Or did these ninjas purposely hide their markings so Yusuke would know less about them? Probably. He looked from one to the other and licked his lips. Should he try and overpower them and escape? Curiosity had been the only thing stopping him from doing so sooner He waited. The larger of the two placed his torch in a holder and stepped forward, grabbing Yusuke by the lapel and pulling him up.

"You are already recovered, he'll be anxious to see you."

The Ninja pushed Yusuke ahead of him a bit and then bent to remove the shackles.

"Move out"

Yusuke slowly made his way out of the mouth of the cave, observing that the sun was just setting, the last rays fading. He hardly got a chance to look at the surrounding scenery before he was shoved forward by the two Shinobi. After an arduous scramble down the hill, he found himself standing in front of a group of five Ninjas surrounding a fire. He could only glance at each of them briefly before finding himself kissing the ground. These guys played rough.

"What do we have here? A gruff voice asked.

"A Ninja from the Leaf fell into our little experiment and managed to survive."

Yusuke tried to look up, but his head was pushed down to the ground.

"We will rectify that; we cannot have anyone aware of us."

Yusuke grimaced as he blew a blade of grass out of his face. Perhaps now was a good time to escape?


* Kurama

Kurama had the distinct feeling that he was being watched. Rather, Kurama was aware he was being watched AND followed. He was positive that the two figures trailing him were none other than Sasuke & Naruto. He was mildly annoyed by their disobedience, but soon found that another presence had manifested, and was what he needed to be more concerned about. He had debated at first, whether to reveal to Sasuke and Naruto that he was aware of them. But, two factors soon eliminated that consideration. One was the appearance of this other party, and the other was that his observations indicated that both parties were unaware of each other. He wanted to give the two boys any advantage he could.

The attack came as he predicted, and swiftly, Kurama ducked and turned, releasing his rose whip viciously to clear a space around him of his enemies. He gasped. These attackers were not human! His eyes darted from side to side, and turned again, only to find he was surrounded on all sides. His enemies looked like puppets!! A growl escaped from his throat, clearly indicating his annoyance. The cowards did not even desire to attack him head on! They wished to observe his fighting skills perhaps? Tire him out? He had no time for these petty stunts. He released his whip to coil around his feet, and took his stance, his eyes steely and on fire, then with a slight battle yell of "Fukaenbo - Jin" (Wind petal Waltz Configuration) the thorny chain whizzed in a circular motion in the air above his head sending out sharp petals that met no resistance, slicing through the clay puppets. Kurama then propelled himself forward, determined to meet his real attackers.


* Leaf Village


The Hokage watched the two Shinobi approach him over the rooftops of the village.

He puffed his pipe and let a trail of smoke escape through his lips. He was not happy with the events and rumors revealed to him by the Anbu. He did not like to hear that there were indications of a rebel Ninja group making a name and reputation by terrorizing travelers and gaining in strength and number. He felt it was unfortunate that it came so close on the heels of Naruto's return with the strange boys.

He acknowledged Iruka and Kakashi with a nod and turned back into the room he had stepped from. The two teachers followed after him from the terrace. The Hokage seated himself underneath the portraits of the previous Hokage rulers. Wise eyes seemed to observe and approve as the two Ninja's kneeled and made their report.

The Hokage looked thoughtfully at Iruka.

"As I feared, it seems we cannot relax just yet"

Iruka's eyebrow rose at this, he did not understand the cryptic remark.

The Hokage stood.

"I do wish to help these boys, and I feel there is more to this event than a simple accident. The village itself could be in danger."

He turned and smiled at the Chunin's astonished face. "Iruka, you cannot go back to teaching your classes just yet. I regret that I must send you out to retrieve Sasuke and Naruto. They have followed the one called Kurama. Retrieve them immediately and return here."

Iruka showed his respect and acknowledgement of his mission, and then was gone in a whisper of twirling leaves.

Kakashi watched in curiosity as the Hokage seated himself once again.

"The Anbu have reported increasing traffic along the borders, and an influx of Ninja's from the Hidden Mist. I need you to take Hayate and discover what you can about these forces before they threaten the Village itself."

Kakashi nodded in acknowledgement and walked towards the terrace. He turned to glance at the Hokage once - before he, too, was gone.

The Hokage puffed on his pipe again and glanced up to study the portrait of the fourth Hokage. `As you would, I continue to protect the village.' He then turned to walk out of his room; it was now time to call an assembly.

*Hiei

Hiei made his way through the brush towards the campfire and silhouettes of a few dozen Shinobi. He was not interested in them. Instead he concentrated on seeking the simmering spirit energy given off by his comrade. Yusuke was seething with anger, but Hiei hoped that Yusuke would use his head in dealing with his captors. He paused and waited as the movement increased around the campfire, then moved again, directing himself towards the spirit energy that Yusuke was giving off.

Something strong enough to level a full forest was certainly a force to reckon with and Hiei wanted a taste of fighting that power for himself. Stealthily he moved closer, anticipating the conversation he would be having with the spirit detective about that power and the challenge it presented.


*Kurama


Kurama was seething with anger; however, his calm and calculating exterior did not reveal it. He had found no trace of the puppet masters and he was frustrated. He felt like he had failed in some way. He was brooding over this when a twig snapped behind him, and in a flurry of motion he released his whip. But, he stopped when he came face to face with Naruto and Sasuke. The two boys looked tired and battle weary. Apparently, they too had managed to find some part to play in the fray that Kurama had encountered. He eyed them each, his gaze finally coming to rest on the orange suited Ninja.

"Naruto."

"I want to help Yusuke."

"Since you are here, I can't stop you."

Kurama pushed a wisp of hair back into place.

"I last had the impression of Hiei traveling north by northwest, shall we go?"

The boys nodded in affirmation and the small group made their way in that direction.


*Yusuke


After a short but aggressive interrogation, Yusuke had been ready to meet his maker, or Botan, but those thoughts were put on hold when a group of six dark ninjas appeared. Yusuke could see that his captors were visibly shaken by their arrival, and what they had to report. But, much to his chagrin, he only caught a few words of their hurried conversation before he was taken away and bound. He sighed, and leaned his head against what appeared to be storage crate. His thoughts turned again to escape, but he never got very far in planning the direct strategy, because something still bothered him. He tried to force the nagging thought to the surface, but he couldn't grasp it. Yusuke hated his indecision. He wanted to leave, but something, some lack of information, prompted him to stay. He tried to put his finger on it, and so he thought back to his mission with Naruto. Something about his fall? The ground had suddenly given away beneath him, he had no warning and there was no indication that it had been natural. And, what about the sounds and quaking that came after the initial collapse? Was that typical of natural phenomenon? What had that guy said when he brought Yusuke to the campfire?

"A Ninja from the leaf fell into our little experiment and managed to survive."

Yusuke was sure of it now; it had something to do with his fall.

He sensed a presence. Reality quickly came crashing down around him, and he was rudely pushed into the present. Had he been thinking that hard? Someone was with him now, and he hadn't even noticed!!

"It's a relief to see you are in one piece, Yusuke. I wouldn't want to report to Enma that his spirit detective had died."

That voice....soft and concerned, yet dripping with sarcasm.

Yusuke turned his head and stared into piercing blood red eyes. He gave a cocky grin.

"Yeah, I am glad to see you too."