Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Flux ❯ A Simple Mission Gone Wrong ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I apologize whole heartedly for the delay. But, I think you will observe the vast improvements made, and also note that these improvements are only because my beta reader Phirephoenix whipped me into shape. You should all express your thanks to her. Worship the ground she walks on. (I do. ^_^) Not many people have the courage to glare at me, and put up with my whining, impatience, and selfishness.

Demon Flux
By Starshifter

Rating: G, PG (Actually I have no clue, you tell me. It can vary with each chapter?)

Warnings: Slight Angst, violence (I try to keep actual bloody gore and killings to a minimum)

Pairings: None (barely even hints), Not yaoi or yuri.

Spoilers: I am not sure. It depends on where you are in my timelines ^_^. If you have seen the episodes or read the manga past them, virtually none.

Timelines:

For Yu Yu Hakusho: It has varied. Now I want to say before the Dark Tournament, although it was originally intended for afterwards. Definitely after Yusuke's fight with the Saint Beasts.

For Naruto: This timeline is more concrete. Between Wave Country and the Chuunin exam.


Summary: Naruto is pulled into Yusuke's world. The YYH gang and Naruto return to Leaf Village and continue their adventures together.

******************

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or Naruto, I didn't create them, and I am not making a profit here. Go bug somebody else, because you are now just talking to my hand. *nod*

***************

Feedback: Yes, please!

Welcoming on Board: Phirephoenix - She kindly offered her services as beta!!!!

ONWARD!!!

Demon Flux Chapter Ten


The days wore on steadily, and there was always something to be done in the village. Hiei and Kurama were amazed that Yusuke could be so flexible. One moment he was engaged in a serious conversation with Iruka, the next entertaining Naruto with weird concoctions for ramen. Yusuke and Naruto had been in deep conversation one evening, and after a visit with the Hokage the next morning, Yusuke was off performing missions alone with Naruto. When asked about it Yusuke shrugged and said he was actually there for encouragement, because Naruto had been grumbling about how simple and harmless many of the missions were. He had talked to Iruka and found that Naruto needed to perform even the most mundane missions to bolster his record and to recommend him for higher ranking missions.

Yusuke had managed to convince the Hokage that it would be to Naruto's benefit to go on missions with only Yusuke tagging along. As far as Kurama could gather, Naruto had yet to learn the subtleties of being a mission leader, and that being a leader meant being responsible for the success of the mission and for every member of the team. In the eyes of the Hokage and other ninjas, Naruto's determination to act alone and prove himself would not recommend him to becoming a Chuunin quickly. Yusuke's logic was that if Naruto felt restricted by having his team along, and was also distracted by Sasuke, then by being alone with him, Yusuke could make Naruto think more about his performance on missions. Yusuke's trick had been to tell Naruto that he would be allowed to perform missions alone, but by having Yusuke along, it was actually more like having an instructor watching over you.

Kurama and Hiei wished they were with them, they found themselves avoiding the village women, who seemed to find them in herds. It was all a demon could do sometimes, to just make himself scarce. They finally ended up in the training fields where the rest of team seven had wandered, to allow Sasuke time to practice his Sharigan and Sakura to work on her Genjutsu.

**

Yusuke's knee hovered above the ground as he bent over to inspect the markings there. He was trying to brush up on his tracking skills, but it was not necessarily helping, because Naruto's particular mission at this point in time was the retrieval of a few odd plants for festivities and decorations. Naruto had pointed out a few signs that indicated the movement of animals, and had explained the importance in tracking and being observant of the surroundings when performing missions. In a sense, Yusuke was trying to provide lookout on the mission, since he was totally useless when it came to identifying most plant life. ^_^ However, Yusuke could now understand why Naruto was disappointed with the missions he had to perform. Even Yusuke was growing frustrated because they had seen everything BUT the damn fern they wanted.

But despite that, Yusuke did look upon this mission with Naruto as a welcome change. He was glad to be out of the village, because he knew that their sudden appearance had not been as furtive as he would have liked. The Hokage had informed him earlier that word had spread about their arrival, and of Kurama's abilities, so much so, that many experienced Shinobi were now entering Leaf Village to see them. The presence of these particular visitors had been so obtrusive, that the three spirit detectives were forced to don disguises. Yusuke wanted in no way to get involved with village politics. He was amazed however, that they were now considered candidates for recruitment. And it wasn't just the ninjas that the team wanted to avoid. Before they were even aware of it, Leaf Village had become inundated with visitors from other villages, all with the point in mind of meeting these mysterious boys.


It was easy enough to keep the three member spirit team hidden, all of them were now wearing full Ninja regalia, even Hiei, despite his protests. He had been forced to wear an outfit similar to Iruka. Instead of the headband, which he wore strung through a belt loop, he still wore his same white bandana and his hair was tied up. (Think Shikamaru)

It was immediately discovered that Kurama's flowing red hair was a dead give away to his identity, since many people had seen his performance with the rose whip. He now wore a soft forest green jacket with a hood to hide his very noticeable locks.

Yusuke had been by far the easiest to disguise in the group, he was so eager to don the full ninja regalia and headband; that Kurama had remarked to Yusuke that he would get himself killed because he fit in TOO well. What had surprised Kurama was that Yusuke had taken that as a COMPLIMENT.


A sudden sound startled Naruto. Yusuke wasn't sure at first that he had really heard what he thought he heard. It amazed him that a sound he would've taken for granted a week ago, now had him on edge.


Yusuke followed Naruto's lead and ducked into some bushes. A few seconds later, they heard voices, and after a few tense seconds, they made out the faint conversation of two ninjas who had stopped to take a breather in the trees nearby.


"The talisman is not something you should trifle with, Karamu"

"Like that worm of a man will know what I've been doing with it."

"We are already late! If we don't get to the border soon, they'll catch up with us, and then our mission will be a failure" was the hissed reply.


Karamu growled at his partner before leaping for a nearby branch. "Let's go then."


Naruto and Yusuke blinked as they stepped from the cover of their bushes.

"A talisman?" Naruto questioned.

"Well, it's a, Yusuke trailed off and looked at the small Ninja.

"I'll tell you when we get back to the village, we should go back now."

Naruto nodded and prepared to follow Yusuke through a small path in the trees when Yusuke shouted out in surprise and Naruto watched, horrified, as the ground fell away in front of him, and Yusuke disappeared.

The dust in the air took a short time to settle, and Naruto found himself standing alone on the edge of a precipice, and at the bottom, he saw Yusuke's legs jutting up from the settling rubble.

Without thinking, he immediately jumped over and tumbled down the pit, sharp protruding rocks tearing at his clothing and fine dust collecting in his hair. He ignored it all, Yusuke's welfare was at the top of his mind and he rushed to his friend's side as soon as he had landed at the bottom.

Naruto scrambled to brush the rocks from Yusuke's face and torso, pulling at his neck and slapping his face. Naruto was in a panic, how injured was he?! And what could he do?!

Naruto soon gave up, he was no medic. He didn't want to hurt Yusuke any further, so he decided he could do nothing more but sit and wait, because he sure as hell wasn't going to leave.

It seemed like hours had passed to Naruto, but he was finally rewarded for his patience, Yusuke coughed, a dry rasping sound. He struggled to sit up, but as Naruto reached out to help, Yusuke cringed and screamed as a searing pain tore up his spine to his neck.

Minutes seemed like hours passing before they had Yusuke into a sitting position, and both of them were tense and ragged. Yusuke was hoarse and breathing hard, and he would never bring himself to say in words how much pain he was in.

Yusuke looked at Naruto.

"I had you scared there didn't I?"

Naruto nodded.


"And we are far from being out of trouble." Yusuke sighed closing his eyes.

"That was entirely too foolish of me, but what" Yusuke now looked up at the walls of their hole, "would cause the ground to give away like that? I don't get it."

The both looked at each other, their brows furrowed.

"Now let's see, what to do now," Yusuke trailed off and became silent, and Naruto froze.

He could hear something, and it was coming their way.

It was a deep rumbling sound, and it grew stronger as it came nearer. Yusuke and Naruto watched in surprise as more rocks fell into the pit and trees swayed and bent. The very ground beneath them trembled violently.

Yusuke didn't like it one bit, and it seemed to him almost as if they would be swallowed up if they stayed much longer. However, he knew that he couldn't move.

He made his decision. He spoke above the increasing din.

"Naruto, go back to the village now. Bring Kurama and Hiei back to help me, it's the only way."

"But, Yusuke..."

"You are a ninja, right? You must complete your mission?"


"Yusuke…"

"If you want to become a leader and in charge of missions, you must learn to give and follow orders, Naruto. Your mission now is to make it safely back to the village to get help. There is no point in both of us being here, you need to go back and inform the village."

"I can't leave you! We'll fight it together!"

Yusuke shook his head violently and ignored the pain. He grabbed Naruto's arm and made their faces meet, his eyes staring determinedly and unflinching into the stubborn young boy's baby blue orbs.

"What is the point of us both being captured, Naruto?" "Besides" Yusuke said as he began digging in the pocket of his pants, "I am entrusting you with this, you know that it's our only way home, remember?" "You have to give it to Kurama, understand?"

Naruto looked miserably at the triangular object in his hand and nodded.

Yusuke pushed him and hissed, "Go, Go now Naruto and don't stop for anything!"

Naruto traveled quickly through the trees, and he didn't stop, not once. Not even to look back.

**

"Actually I enjoy," Kurama broke off and snapped his head towards the edge of the clearing where he was sitting and talking with Hiei, Sakura, Iruka and Kakashi. Hiei had also been alerted, and jumped up from his position and to take a defensive stance. Suddenly, he was no longer sitting with them, but waiting at the edge of the tree line.

"He really needs to stop doing that" Kurama sighed. He stirred again as Naruto came crashing through the brush, to be caught easily enough by Hiei, who didn't seem the least bit bothered by the impact. He grabbed Naruto and sat him down, looking pointedly into his eyes, "Where's Yusuke?"

Naruto couldn't speak, the ragged breaths were coming out way too fast and it was all he could do to pant.

Hiei growled. "I'm going after him"

"Hiei, wait,"

But it was hopeless, he was already gone.

Kurama stared after the form of his teammate in exasperation and frustration until,

"Kur…rr…ama."

Kurama looked down at Naruto to see a familiar triangular object nestled in his hand, and his eyes widened.

`If Naruto has the key, then that means,'

"Yusuke is in danger and hurt."

It was a matter of fact statement, and he was barely able to voice it aloud because his throat was constricting.

Naruto nodded as Iruka helped him to stand. "We were following a trail, but it was false and we didn't see the drop off until it was too late, and Yusuke fell."

Kurama closed his eyes, approving silently Hiei's decision to leave immediately, his actions had not been rash, because he had sensed the desperation and urgency the situation required.

"There was a loud noise, and it was unbearable, Yusuke sent me here to get you and Hiei."

"What kind of loud noise, Naruto?" Iruka prodded.

"Loud, rumbling, it sounded like the Hokage when he bellows."

Sakura started to laugh, but stopped when she realized she was the only one.

Iruka looked skeptical. "What kind of description is that Naruto?"

"Apparently, the best that he can give us," Kurama said calmly before looking at Kakashi.

"Seeing as how Hiei has left already, and I have no wish to delay, I will leave immediately."

"I'm going with you."

Sakura gasped and Iruka stared in surprise at Sasuke.

"I'm going too!"

Upon his declaration, Naruto struggled and stood with his chest heaving, but the look of determination in his eyes didn't waver.

Kurama smiled, "Thank you for your help Naruto and you too Sasuke, but Yusuke is our concern. Naruto, you tired yourself out by coming to warn us, I think you've done enough."

Kurama began a solitary walk towards the tree line.

**


Yusuke was afraid he would be buried alive by all the debris falling into the pit with him as the ground continued to shake. The noise was so loud; the vibrations burst his eardrums and caused them to bleed.

Then there was silence.

Yusuke looked around him, but couldn't see a thing. His field of vision in the hole was only 180 degrees and he cursed his body. He felt his skin tingling and no matter how much he shook his head, his vision had started to become blurry.

"Dammit, I can't be..."

Yusuke slowly lost consciousness, his awareness dropping to nothing as his eyelids slid shut.

Above his slumped form, the sky darkened.

****

A/N: If I still managed to miss some corrections or made mistakes when I added a few things after the revision, I apologize.

P.P.S. School is beating me alive. Have patience on chapter postings. The beta is currently working on the next chapter. Things will be posted more quickly once I get it back.

I got some rather interesting reviews to this chapter. I wonder what my harsh critics here at MM.org will think of it.