Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 14 Gifts ❯ Love Spoons ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

February 3rd

Sunday morning would be spent training with her team, sans Sai. Apparently, he had a solo mission that day. Although Kakashi showed up late at the red bridge this time, it wasn't his usual hour or two delay.

"I was actually approached by a masked individual to give this to you, Sakura," the barefaced copy nin said as he handed her a small wrapped package.

It was a plain brown box, yet it had her name scribbled in that familiar script. The familiarity of the handwriting continued to bother her. 'Where have I seen this writing before?' Sakura asked herself as she ran her hand over the lettering, her forehead scrunched in frustration.

"What's that, Sakura-chan?" Naruto asked as he pointed at the box, his voice loud and annoying.

"Aren't you supposed to be with Tsunade-sama today?" Sakura turned the question back to him.

"Later, Sakura-chan," he told her. "Aren't you going to open the box?"

"Not yet," she told him as she walked towards the tree that her backpack sat under. She would open it in the privacy of her home. For some reason, she wasn't ready to share this with her teammates yet.

"Awe…" Naruto whined.

Kakashi broke in at that moment. "Leave her alone Naruto. It's none of your business. If Sakura wants to share with us, she will."

Naruto just walked away grumbling about "I was just curious what was in the box."

Sakura approached Kakashi after putting the mystery box in her backpack. "Thank you, Kakashi."

He knew what she was talking about. "Your welcome," he told her.

"So, Kakashi…" Sakura began as they walked towards the training area. "You wouldn't happen to recall what the person that gave the box to you looked like, would you?"

Kakashi looked at Sakura and smiled. "A mystery man, hmm Sakura?"

She blushed.

"Ah, young love," he murmured.

"As if!" Sakura responded. "I don't even know who it is! He just started leaving me gifts and poems and I swear I recognize the handwriting but I can't seem to figure it out!" she rambled before sighing dramatically. "I'm so confused."

The stopped on the outskirts of the training grounds and Kakashi turned to face Sakura. "I'm sure it will work out in the end. Just keep your mind open to the possibilities," he told her. "Because you never know. The one that desires you may be right under your nose." With that, he gently flicked her nose.

"Alright, we'll start with two on two! Naruto, make a shadow clone and we'll fight each other," Kakashi instructed.

Sakura was baffled and very pleased.

She was already home and was sitting on her couch looking at the contents of the mystery box with a look of awe and wonder.

Someone had beautifully carved two wooden spoons. One had a handle that had a series of interweaving links, topped by what looked like a small wolf. The second spoon was topped by two hearts that sitting next to each other, but below the hearts were two series of interweaving links.

`My Blossom,' the note read.

`In my family, love spoons are given as tokens of affection to the one that has been chosen as future mate. These spoons are carved by the one giving them as a way of showing complete dedication to the receiver.

I give you two. The one with the wolf and interweaving links shows my everlasting protection of you. The other, with the two hearts, reflects our two lives growing together as one.

Yours eternally.'

She had to talk to someone. This was getting deep and she needed to speak to someone who wouldn't criticize or gossip about it, yet give sound advice.

'Tsunade.'

oOo

AN: Welsh Love Spoons. They really exist, though the meanings are different than what I've portrayed and have manipulated the purpose.