Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 14 Gifts ❯ Eros ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

February 8th - Eros

'Thank God it's Friday,' thought Sakura as she awoke that morning.

Though work at the hospital and her time training with her teammates had been relatively normal, it was the little things that seemed to put her on edge. The constant gifts and notes with poetry or fun facts about the upcoming holiday were making her a little nervous.

Sure she enjoyed the attention she was getting from her secret admirer; it was just vexing that she was nowhere near close to figuring out who he was.

"I hope that he's a 'he'" she said to herself as she readied herself for the day. While she knew of a few kunoichi that found affection that way, she wasn't one of them. Besides, most people knew of her longtime affection for Sasuke to know she didn't swing that way.

After dressing and gathering a quick apple from her dish of fruit on the kitchen table, and making a mental note to keep apples or pears around for when she finally did meet her mystery man, she opened her door only to find another bundle of daisies on her doorstep.

She loved daisies and had all her life. She always thought that they were so cheerful at any time of the year and it seemed her admirer knew of her fondness for the flower. Attached was a simple note that read, To Sakura, from your admirer.

There wasn't anything else today, no poetry, no fun fact and she was actually fine with it. Sakura was just happy that he thought of her so early in the day.

She quickly switched out the currently wilting flowers with the new ones and rushed out the door hoping she wouldn't be late to work.

Around noon-time, Kakashi showed up at Sakura's office at the hospital and offered to take her out to lunch.

"What?" Sakura asked a little surprised that he was offering to take her out to lunch. "Usually Naruto and I are dragging you forcefully to Ichiraku and ending up paying the tab," she joked.

With a nervous rub to the back of his neck and a slightly sheepish look Kakashi countered, "Yeah, well ramen isn't exactly my favorite meal. I figured if you and Naruto were going to force me to eat with you, you both might as well pay for my having to stomach the stuff."

Sakura honestly couldn't say she blamed him.

"So, where are you taking me to lunch, Kakashi?" she asked, truly curious.

"Ah," he replied. "It's a secret."

Sakura looked over at her ex-sensei and saw the smirk on his face in self-satisfaction. When he used to wear his mask, all she could see was the eye crinkle. But now she could see the whole reaction.

'Wow,' she thought to herself. 'He's really attractive.' It hadn't been the first time she thought that, but since she seemed to be seeing more of him lately she really started to take notice of him as something other than sensei or team leader.

It was a sunny day and mild out. Most of the snow had melted away over the last few days. The pair walked in comfortable silence with Kakashi leading Sakura to a nearby park. It was fortunate that the sun was out and warming the citizens of Konoha and it was a perfect day for what Kakashi had planned.

When they arrived at a picnic bench, Kakashi pulled out a storage scroll and opened it with a little blood and a sign. With a 'poof' the scroll revealed a blanket-covered basket. With a little flourish, Kakashi took the blanket and covered the table and then took out a pair of bento boxes and two bottles of water.

"Wow Kakashi!" Sakura exclaimed, surprised that he was able to pull something together like this. Sure, he was a ninja and had the ability to plan for things, but she'd never seen him do something so… domestic. If she hadn't been there to experience it herself, she'd never believe it.

The each sat on either side of the park bench facing one another as they enjoyed the meal that was there. Simple conversation passed between them.

"So," Kakashi began during a lull in the interchange. "Are you doing something on Valentine's Day?"

Sakura stopped eating, her eyes widening at the question. "Uh, no…" she answered a bit reluctantly. "Why do you ask?"

"I was just curious," he told her as he looked down at a piece of tamagoyaki as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. "I just figured at your age, you'd have a boyfriend or something."

Sakura's cheeks pinked a little at that. "No. There's nobody but you and Naruto in my life," she commented as she poked at something in her own bento. The air seemed to thicken in tension.

"I'm sure you'll find the right one someday," Kakashi volunteered. "You're an attractive, highly intelligent kunoichi, if I may say so. Any guy that falls for you should know how lucky they are to have you."

The pink in her cheeks turned as red as her uniform and Kakashi loved the way she looked right then. The girl in front of him couldn't meet his eyes as she quietly thanked him.

They finished up their meal and Kakashi placed the empty boxes in the basket, folded the blanket and placed it on the basket before picking it up and hooking in his elbow. They threw away the empty water bottles and began the walk back to the hospital.

"Have you ever heard the tale of Eros?" Kakashi asked trying to lighten up the mood.

"No, I haven't," Sakura replied, wondering where he was going with this.

"You may know him as Cupid," Kakashi continued. "It was said that Eros was bittersweet and cruel to his victims, yet he was also charming and very beautiful. Being unscrupulous, and a danger to those around him, Eros would make as much mischief as he possibly could by wounding the hearts of all, but according to one legend he himself fell in love."

"This legend tells us that Eros was always at his mother's side assisting her in all her conniving and godly affairs. The legend goes on to say that Aphrodite became jealous of the beauty of a mortal, a beautiful young woman named Psyche. In her fit of jealousy Aphrodite asked Eros to shoot his arrow into the heart of Psyche and make her fall in love with the ugliest man on earth. He agreed to carry out his mother's wishes, but on seeing her beauty Eros fell deeply in love with Psyche himself."

"He would visit her every night, but he made himself invisible by telling Psyche not to light her chamber. Psyche fell in love with Eros even though she could not see him, until one night curiosity overcame her. She concealed a lamp and while Eros slept she lit the lamp, revealing the identity of Eros. But a drop of hot oil spilt from the lamp awakening the god. Angered she had seen him Eros fled and the distraught Psyche roamed the earth trying in vain to find her lover."

"In the end Zeus took pity and reunited them, he also gave his consent for them to marry."

By the time Kakashi finished his tale they had arrived at the front of the hospital. "Thank you for joining me for lunch, Sakura. I'll see you around."

And before she could say anything he was gone in a 'poof' of smoke, leaving behind a very confused kunoichi.