Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 14 Gifts ❯ Engagement ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

February 14th - Engagement

Valentine's Day dawned cool and clear in the village of Konoha. Many early bird females had already dropped off their chocolate gifts to the males they harbored affection for but didn't have the courage to face them yet. Others would face their mates or significant others in hopes of reaping the rewards of giving in the spirit of the holiday.

Sakura awoke early, having completely forgotten to buy gifts for her male friends and teammates for the first time in her 20 years, her thoughts having been completely on herself and the recent turn of events.

'How could I forget something so important?' Sakura thought inwardly. She began to feel terrible about her selfishness, but then decided that for once in her life that it was okay. Besides, none of the guys had treated her on White Day. Not that it was expected, but it would have been a nice surprise.

She quickly got dressed, presentable for anyone that would see her and darted out the door to go in search of the giri-choco she would need to keep up her tradition.

oOo

Kakashi was nervous.

Never in his years had he felt this incredibly uncomfortable feeling. Well, at least in this capacity. Sure he'd felt hesitation or the anxiousness associated to a mission, especially solo ones, but this was completely different. Not that he'd ever admit it. He had been known as being completely unflappable, calm in the face of any oncoming danger, but not today.

The burning in his stomach was eating at him, the uneasiness making him feel nauseous and he knew he needed to eat something in hopes that it would calm the raging beast inside.

What had he been reduced to? Kakashi was beginning to feel like a wet-behind-the-ears genin, a hormonal teenager going on his first date. It was something he hadn't felt in a long time.

But as he walked to the bedside table in his new room and opened the drawer, he pulled out a small black box and opened it revealing the small ring within he realized that the one woman he loved held his heart and future in her hands. And for some reason, he was quite all right with it.

He closed the small box and put it back in its place shutting the drawer. He would need it later.

Kakashi walked into the kitchen and looked out the window that overlooked the back of the house as he thought about his decision to ask Sakura to marry him. What was it that made him decide that it was time to settle down and why her? So many factors had contributed but it had all boiled down to mortality and the desire to no longer be alone. When one lived through more than one war over a short period of time in your life, your perspective and priorities change.

He wanted to live. He wanted a family. And he didn't want to die and leave that family behind like he, as a child and so many other offspring of shinobi, had been

He looked over the back yard area, over 93 square meters, noting that weeds overran it but he would work on clearing it in the next few days, time permitting. Beyond the yard area was an abandoned group of almond and vary other fruit-bearing trees and Kakashi smiled in remembrance of the little almond tree he had gifted Sakura. He hoped that if everything worked out, that little seedling would join its parents on the outside.

There was still a lot of work to do on the property and Kakashi was looking forward to the tasks ahead of him. The thought of his retiring soon was looking favorable to focus on those things, even if Sakura continued to work in the field when needed in addition to her job at the hospital. That is, if she wanted to carry on doing missions. He wouldn't prevent her from doing what she loved.

Kakashi sighed. So much depended on her answer. Would she accept his proposal? Sakura was an intelligent, young woman that had lived through more than most civilians her age. And while she had a lot of life left to her he hoped that she would share it with him as his wife. He wanted her fire, her compassion and her strength. But most of all he wanted her love. He had so much to offer her but it all depended on her feelings for him. But would she prefer someone younger? Someone that wasn't as damaged as he was?

He shook his head mentally to clear his thoughts and turned away from the view of the back of his property to look at the spacious home that had once been his father's and his father's before him, and was pleased with the final product. Though there were many old memories that lingered there he looked forward to making new ones. Although he felt the house still wasn't a home and needed a woman's touch.

He smiled warmly at the thought that Sakura might be the one to lend that touch.

It was still early in the day, every surface had been cleaned and re-cleaned after all of the repairs had been completed and Kakashi had moved in the day before. The bed he now was almost twice the size of the one he held in his old apartment and the bed had felt strangely empty making it difficult to sleep the night before. But it was only the first night there in a new surrounding and he would acclimate soon enough.

Kakashi pulled out a list of things that he had to do that day in preparation for the evening and thought he would get started so he wouldn't have to rush. Besides, it would help to take his mind off the nervousness he was feeling.

oOo

Sakura was able to locate some chocolate to give to her teammates without issue. However, locating the males, even just the two of them, had been a little difficult.

She had figured she would find Naruto at the training grounds or at the Hyuuga Compound spending time with Hinata, but no such luck. Sakura concentrated and tried to hone in on his chakra signature but even then she couldn't seem to locate him.

Frustration built up within her but she decided to let it go. If she found him before the day was out, great. He'd get his chocolate. If not? His loss.

Her mind had been so rattled over the last few days that she hadn't even thought he might be out on a mission.

Her next teammate to locate was usually at his apartment or on top of the Hokage Monument, drawing in one of his many sketchbooks or even painting on a canvas propped up on an easel he carried up the narrow and treacherous steps. Sakura was always baffled by Sai's ability to take his art anywhere, being able to create a piece of art at any time. To Sakura, Sai's work was his way to express those feelings he had repressed at such a young age. He had made a lot of progress over the last few years, but some times he continued to revert back to his emotionless façade.

Sure enough she found the dark-haired ex-root member at the top of the mountain, sitting in the grass between the heads of the third and fourth Hokage's. His legs were crisscrossed, a sketchpad sat in his lap as he drew with a pencil in his left.

"Sakura," he greeted, his hand continued to draw and he didn't turn to face her. Though it could be construed as rude, Sakura knew better and let it go. Besides, he had given up calling her 'Hag' some time ago after she had brutally reminded him that it was not an acceptable name. Sai had learned when to pick his battles with the pink-haired Kunoichi from then on.

Sakura sat down next to the dark-haired shinobi allowing him to come to a stopping point. She respected Sai enough to not interrupt his work allowing him the time to finish an idea or thought before speaking to him. She wouldn't want to be intruded upon if she were in the middle of something just as important to her, so she waited.

Sai came to a stop, signaled by putting down his pencil and Sakura knew she could speak now.

She pulled out the small box of chocolates and handed it to him. "Happy Valentine's Day, Sai."

Sai took the offered box and made a small smile. "Ah, so it is the annual day of offering chocolate to your friends and loved ones, is it?" He seemed to analyze the box before opening it and took one of the simple confections before dropping it into his mouth. After having chewed and swallowed it Sai, blank-faced, remarked, "Hmm. Giri-choco again."

Sakura frowned not understanding what Sai was alluding to. "What do you mean by again, Sai? You are one of my good friends and teammate."

His dark eyes stared into hers, boring deeply as if looking for something he hoped would be there. Then he turned away and sighed lightly.

"Thank you for your gift Sakura," he told her, effectively dismissing her by turning back to his drawing of the village.

Sakura knew when to leave Sai alone but was puzzled by his response. She wanted to ask what was wrong but thought better of it. He would speak when he was ready so she wouldn't press the issue.

"I'll see you around, Sai." He hummed at her in response and went back to work on his drawing.

Sakura left the moody artist and the questions surrounding him behind her. She needed to go shopping for something to wear to dinner that night having discovered she really had nothing that would fit the occasion. She knew that Kakashi and her 'admirer' would expect her to be in her uniform coming straight from work, but she wanted to dress up since she had the day off.

She went to the garment district of Konoha located in the civilian part of town, looking through different stores to find something that would be flattering, yet comfortable and practical. She couldn't wear anything formal since her 'admirer' - she still held hope that he and Kakashi were one and the same - had told to her wear something comfortable for short travel.

"Well that restricts me to a certain extent," she mumbled to herself.

She sifted through rows and rows of different clothes and she began to get frustrated.

"Gah!" she yelled when she left the last store, still empty-handed and garnering a few wary looks from the people around her. Instead of lingering for people to stare at her, Sakura sped out of the district and ran towards home. "If he can't accept me as I am and dressed as I normally do, then he's not worth it."

Though it was a special occasion, she figured Kakashi wouldn't expect her to look any different than she normally did especially coming straight from work. But for some reason, she wanted to look just a little more feminine for him; a little more polished for this date.

Sakura changed direction and ran towards the Nara Estate hoping that she would find Ino at home. If not, she wasn't sure what to do.

Sakura was fortunate to find the blonde at home looking a little more haggard than normal. Ino showed her pink-haired friend into the dining room and prepared tea for them to share. When the blonde finally sat down, Sakura asked a few pointed questions and after gaining the woman's approval, she prodded her friend with her chakra and confirmed what she had already expected.

"You're pregnant, Ino!" Sakura gasped in awe and smiled broadly.

Ino beamed, "Oh, Shika is going to be so thrilled!"

"I'm really happy for you pig. You guys have been through so much and now you'll have a little piece of both of you to think about."

Ino hugged her friend, tearing up in the process. "Thank you Forehead. Thank you so much for being here for me."

Sakura pulled away and smiled back. "I'm glad I came by today to share this with you. Now make sure you make an appointment for a full check up. You'll need to start your prenatal care right away."

Ino mock-saluted her friend. "Yes ma'am!"

Sakura chuckled and lightly smacked her friend's shoulder. "Smart ass."

"That's me!" Ino retorted with a grin. They both laughed at the good-natured interchange feeling like nothing had ever changed between them and that the war had never happened. Unfortunately, it had and things had definitely changed.

"So," Ino began. "What's the real reason for your visit, Forehead? Mom told me she spoke to you the other day," she remarked and smiled knowingly.

"Ino if you know something about who sent me all of those roses you have got to tell me!" Sakura told her. "I know your mom was behind the different colors because there sure aren't any blue or green roses that I know of in existence!"

Ino chuckled at her friend's frustration. "Yes, I know who sent you the roses and the daisies, but I'm not going to tell you who it is that sent them to you." And before Sakura could speak, "Don't even try to manipulate me or threaten. You're going to have to just wait until he decides to reveal himself."

Sakura slumped in her chair and sulked a bit but Ino knew her friend was playing with her. "Again, what is the real reason for coming to see me?"

Sakura explained her situation and the fact that she was sure but not totally sure that her admirer was Kakashi and that she wanted to at least look a little more polished for the date. "I need your help, Ino."

The blonde's eyes sparkled as she grinned. "You've come to the right place, Forehead!" and proceeded to stand and grab her pink-haired friend by the arm and drag her to her room. "We're going to make your man glad he pursued you!"

Sure enough, Ino had helped Sakura to put together something a little dressier than her usual beige skirt and red shirt. She left the Nara household with a short-sleeved green dress that was close to her eye color. Sakura had planned on wearing a black sweater over it for warmth, but didn't tell Ino, knowing she would get hell for doing so. Sakura could still wear her black boots with the dress so the short travel would be easy enough.

She ran home with an hour to spare to get ready for her date. Her nerves were at an all-time high and she had to try to focus on just getting ready and not the possibility that she may have two men vying for her attentions. Instead of thinking of what would happen, she went through the motions of showering, drying her hair and dressing and paying attention to each action instead of thinking about the possibilities. She also wondered what had happened to Naruto and it was at that point in the middle of pulling the dress over her head that she figured that he might be on a mission.

"Well duh!" she admonished herself and chuckled at her own idiocy. She had so much on her mind that she didn't think of the obvious reason she couldn't locate him.

'I guess I could have left the gift with Hinata if I had seen her during the day, but… oh well.' Sakura just shook her head. She couldn't remember a time that she was so scatter-brained.

Sakura stood before the full-length mirror that hung on the back of her bedroom door and admired her reflection while smoothing the dress of wrinkles with her hands. Ino definitely had an eye for fashion and color because the vision before her was amazing. Smiling she left her room to go into the bathroom to apply a little bit of eyeliner and mascara to her eyes before applying a coat of strawberry lip gloss on her lips.

When she was done, she scanned the time on the clock in her living room and realized she was running late. She still needed to put on her boots and sweater and get out the door.

'Oh well. It's not like Kakashi has never been late. Let him wait a little,' she thought to herself.

oOo

Contrary to popular belief, the copy-nin was not only a master at copying jutsus and being a dangerous man in the field, but he also could cook a mean dinner should he feel the desire to. He had many hobbies outside of Icha Icha and the culinary arts just happened to be one of them.

He had prepared their meal in advance wanting to spend time enjoying Sakura's company. He had decided on making a variety of sushi, hand rolls and fresh sashimi and he hoped that she would enjoy it. The miso was already hot in its soup pot and the extra rice was staying warm in its cooker. He even had pulled out a fondue pot and had purchased and cut fruit and cake into bite-sized pieces to dip in melted chocolate for dessert. All he needed to do was prepare the tea and felt that he could do so when he brought her back to his home.

Home. Since he had fully renovated the place, Kakashi was beginning to feel like he was home for the first time in a long time. He had missed the old house but had never let go of the past or healed from it. He shook his head at the time he had wasted.

But now, he was home and moving forward with his life. Things were changing and for the better.

Realizing that it was almost time to pick up Sakura from the hospital, Kakashi quickly changed his clothes and headed out the door at top speed.

'Here goes nothing,' he thought as he sped through the woods outside of Konoha.

When he arrived outside of the hospital, Kakashi was a little disappointed that she wasn't there yet. However, as he figured she was just finishing up for the night Sakura appeared from nowhere.

"Hi!" she greeted nervously and a little out of breath. Her eyes took in his clothing and noted he was wearing black dress pants and a charcoal button-down shirt. It looked fantastic against his pale skin and hair.

His smile was lopsided as he took in her slightly disheveled, but still beautiful appearance. He also didn't miss the approving glances at his appearance. "You look amazing, Sakura." And she did. The green dress that peaked beneath the over-sized black sweater brought out the green in her eyes. Even with her shinobi boots, it worked on her.

Sakura looked around as if she were looking for somebody else, which Kakashi didn't miss. "Looking for something?"

"Hunh?" She responded unintelligently. "Oh, uh, no!" she stammered a little and blushed at being caught.

"Maybe you're looking for…" he paused before pulling a daisy from what seemed like thin air. "This?"

Sakura's eyes widened at seeing the symbol that would identify her secret admirer and her heart hammered in her chest. "It is you," she whispered as Kakashi closed the already small gap between them.

"Mmmhmm," he murmured. "Disappointed?"

Sakura beamed up at him. "Nope. Not at all."

She took the flower from his fingers and proceeded to wrap her arms around his neck as he wrapped his own around her waist and pulled her closer to him. Ignoring the gaping stares of the people that were leaving or going into the hospital, Kakashi placed a gentle kiss on the kunoichi's lips.

Before the kiss could get heated Kakashi pulled away, resulting in a small disappointed sound from the female. "Dinner?"

"I'd like that."

"Follow me," he told her.

The trip to his home was relatively quiet as they traveled at shinobi speed and Sakura had no idea where they were going. Even as they passed the guards at the gate, Sakura had no idea what Kakashi had planned. But when they approached a large clearing about a half an hour later she saw the house.

It looked a lot like the Nara's home, single story with a surrounding raised patio and all wood exterior, and it seemed to extend towards the back.

"Is this…?" Sakura began when they stopped before the rambling structure.

"My family's home," Kakashi answered quietly.

Taking Sakura's arm in his, he directed her up the steps to the single door that served as the main entrance and opened it. They both removed their shoes before entering and Sakura gasped at what she saw.

While the Nara's home had an entryway that led to the living room and other hallways that reached the rest of the house, Kakashi's family home was almost a completely open floor plan. She could see the living area, dining area and kitchen from the front door. The only delineation of each space was a short wall between the dining and living rooms. The kitchen was towards the rear of the house that held a large island that cold be used for preparing food while the dining area was to the left of it.

Hardwood floors went through the entire space and she would bet they led to the bedrooms, which she believed were on the entire right side of the house and the only walled area. The lighting was bright and cheery and Sakura felt very comfortable there.

"Welcome to my home," Kakashi whispered to her from behind.

"It's amazing, Kakashi," she told him with an awed smile. "When you told me you had begun renovating it I hadn't dreamed you'd get so far. Is it complete?"

"Yes, for the most part it is," he answered. "Would you like a tour?"

She nodded enthusiastically and he proceeded to take her to the right side of the home first. She had been correct in her estimation that it was where the sleeping quarters were. Kakashi led her through the wide hall and pointed to the opened doors that revealed other rooms that were currently empty.

"There is still a lot of furniture in storage that I have to go through to furnish the extra rooms," he explained as he showed her the three additional bedrooms. "I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but the intent is that they will be where my future children will room."

He enjoyed the blush that rose in Sakura's face at that last comment. And then he showed her the master bedroom.

"This was my parents room," he explained. "I replaced the bed in its entirety even though the frame itself is an heirloom. There's just something weird about sleeping on a bed that your parents had at one time."

Sakura chuckled. "Yeah, I get that."

"I even moved the furniture in different positions throughout the entire house," he told her as they made their way back to the main part of the house and to the kitchen/dining area. "I wanted to make this place my own and not see things in the same place they were as a child."

Sakura could understand that. He held many memories in this house, but some of them were sad.

"Are you hungry?" Kakashi asked.

She nodded emphatically, "Yes!"

Kakashi led her to the low table in the dining area to sit and he went into the large refrigerator to remove the platter of food he had prepared earlier, bringing it to the table. He had already set the table with small plates for the sushi and soy sauce dipping plates as well. There was a vase filled with colorful blooms sitting at the center.

When Sakura saw the platter of food, she was amazed. "Where did you get this?"

"I made it," was the simple reply. Kakashi was spooning the soup into bowls at this point.

"You made it?" Sakura asked amazed.

"Is that so surprising?" Kakashi asked as he placed the bowls of miso on the table and then went back to the kitchen to scoop the rice and heat water for tea.

Sakura thought about it for a moment before she replied, "You know what? No, I'm not surprised."

Kakashi grinned as he brought the bowls of rice and set them down. "You'll find I'm full of surprises."

"I guess so," the pink-haired woman replied as she eyed the amazing assortment before her.

When the tea was finally done and served, Kakashi sat near Sakura to begin their meal. With a quick murmur of "itadakimasu" they began eating.

Sakura and Kakashi talked as if they were just conversing as friends, the typical discomfort of being on a 'date' didn't seem to plague the couple. To Kakashi it was a good sign.

He told her about the almond grove of trees in the back and how her little almond was an offshoot of one of them. Sakura smiled at that. She praised his creativity and asked where he got so much knowledge about other cultures.

"I read other things than Icha Icha, Sakura," he admonished.

"Sorry," she replied sheepishly. "I just could never picture you pouring over encyclopedias and looking things up like other cultural traditions."

When they finished the meal, Sakura offered and helped Kakashi clean up what few dishes there were. When they were done, they adjourned to the living room where they sat on an overstuffed couch that didn't seem to fit the décor, which Sakura mentioned.

"This is the one piece of furniture I brought from my old apartment," Kakashi explained. "It's old, yes, but very comfortable."

Sakura had to agree. The brown and beige plaid couch was downright ugly but it held its own charm and was really, really comfortable.

At this point in the night, things were winding down and there was a lull in conversation making Sakura feel a little nervous.

'Now what?' she wondered.

Kakashi had sat close to Sakura at this point, holding her closely to him and cuddling. He could tell she was nervous by her recent silence and the way she began gnawing at her lower lip.

He stared at that lip and wanted to be the one nibbling on it.

"Sakura…" Kakashi spoke.

She looked up at him and into his eyes. "Hmm?"

His head bent down and he took that lower lip between his own and sucked gently on it, soothing it from her constant biting. Her eyes closed slowly and she let out a small whimper.

And then he kissed her. Gently at first, coaxing her to respond to his light grazing, and he dove in as soon as she did. He poured everything into that kiss, pulling her closer to him and causing her to straddle one of his thighs.

Stopping for air, Kakashi rested his forehead on hers as they calmed down.

"Sakura," he spoke. "I meant everything I wrote to you," he told her. He looked up and into her eyes, "I love you with all of my heart and I understand that this might be pretty sudden for you but I need you to know that I feel this way for you."

"Oh Kakashi," she replied smiling at the beautiful man she was currently straddling. "You have no idea what your little notes and gifs did to me these last two weeks," she told him. "Do you know I recognized your handwriting but couldn't figure out whose it was?" Kakashi laughed.

"Tsunade was no help either, just fed me cryptic words and sent me on my way," she grumbled.

"Yeah, she confronted me about my intentions," Kakashi told her.

"She did?" Kakashi nodded. "Wow. Was she okay with it? I mean, okay with us?" Sakura asked.

"Most definitely. Although she threatened me if I hurt you."

"Yeah, that sounds like my Shishou." Kakashi nodded in agreement.

"So you liked my gifts?" he prompted.

Sakura smiled. "Yeah. Although the roses were a bit overkill, they were really beautiful. I knew then that whoever would go through so much expense and trouble really had it bad for me," she joked.

Kakashi chuckled. "Yeah. I guess so."

Sakura looked at him. Really looked at him. She ran her fingers along his face and jawline, and then along the scar that ran through his Sharingan eye. Sakura was pleased that he went without the eye patch tonight and she was getting the full effect of Kakashi's face.

He had a strong face, angular and slender and carried slight bags under his eyes. She wasn't sure if it was from fatigue or maybe it was hereditary. Either way, it was him.

"You're beautiful, you know," Sakura whispered as she continued to trace his face with her fingers.

"That's an odd description for a male, but I'll take it," he smirked.

"I love your smile and how it's so crooked," Sakura told him.

"Thank you, I guess."

"I love how you've been wearing your hair down without your headband. You should do it more often," she told him.

"Hmm," he nodded.

Sakura adjusted so that she was no longer straddling his one thigh but both, her legs bent and on either side of his hips. She stared into his one open eye. "And," she kissed the closed eye. "I," she paused and kissed his forehead. "Love," she kissed his chin. "You," she whispered before kissing his lips.

The words went straight to Kakashi's brain and his heart soared. He kissed her back for all she was worth for a few moments before pulling away to breathe again.

"Sakura," he whispered. "Sakura are you sure?"

She chuckled deeply. "Yes. I couldn't be surer about this. I was so worried that my admirer might not be you and I was almost sick over it."

"I'm glad you're sure," he told her. And then he moved a little awkwardly as he went to pull something from his pocket.

It was a little black box. Sakura gasped.

He opened it revealing a simple platinum band with a half-carat diamond.

"Sakura? Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Yes!" she exploded. "Yes," she repeated, this time a little quieter. "I would love nothing more than to marry you Kakashi."

He kissed her soundly as thanks. She had just made him the happiest man in the world.

The End - sort of