Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Christmas kiss ❯ A Christmas kiss ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The little girl was running on the snow-covered street, her long dark hair waving freely in the cool breeze from under a red hat with cat ears on it. The white scarf, too long for the small child, was flying behind her head.
 
“Acchan, don't run on the snow, you'll…” the little girl tripped on her feet and fell, face down, into a particularly high mound of snow “…fall. Ah, how many times do I have to tell you to pay attention? Uh? Will you ever listen to me?” her father scolded her.
 
The little girl was now standing, her mother wiping the snow off the red coat. “Asuka, you should listen to your father. You wouldn't like to arrive at the dinner all messed up, would you? You know what Ojii-san would say.” Asuka shook her head vigorously. “Ja ja! I don't want Ojii-san to scold me! He is scary when he does” she replied her mother, who was back to the covered baby buggy. “Mom, Shin-chan is sleeping. Can I sleep too?” the girl asked, looking at the sleeping little brother.
“No, you can't. But if you want” her father said lifting her into his arms “I will carry you.” Asuka put her arms around his neck, grinning. “Arigato, tousan!”
 
“Shinji, aren't you spoiling her? She is 6-years-old, she knows how to walk.” her mother said, smiling.
“At all! She is my only baby girl! Aww, Asuko, you don't happen to be jealous, uh?” he looked at his wife, smirking.
Yoshizumi Shinji was one of the most handsome men in Konoha. And he was hers. “Baka!” Asuko replied “We'd better hurry, or we will be late!” and she sped up, leaving her still smirking husband and her almost asleep baby girl behind.
 
* * *
Mikoto was brushing her older son's long raven hair. It was pretty difficult, as he kept on complaining and moving.
“Kaa-san! Stop it! I'm tired” the boy complained, stomping his feet on the ground.
“Shh, Itachi-chan, I'm almost done. Pass me the black lace, would you?” Mikoto insisted on brushing him. The child sighed, and passed his mother the lace, so that she could tie his hair and finally quit torturing him.
 
It was the same story every time there was an official dinner. But this time it looked even worse.
Not only was it the usual, monthly dinner with all the clan reunited. Not only was it on Christmas day. No, that wasn't enough. Fate had plotted against him. They were also having guests. And important guests, too. He had overheard a conversation between his father and Shisui's, and they were talking about a certain…a certain…Yoshiyuki clan or something like that.
 
He puffed. Finally, his mother was done.
 
He ran to his little brother, who was playing with small ninjas. Actually, chewing them.
 
“Ja, Sasuke. Don't.” he said. The child handed his older brother the small ninja, dropping saliva.
“Sasuke-chan, that's just disgusting” an older boy said.
Itachi nodded. “Hi Shisui.” Shisui nodded, too.
“I heard tousan speaking with yours” Shisui said. “Then, he told me that there are going to be children of our age. Maybe it won't get too boring. I think there is a girl, too.” He added.
 
The long haired child didn't look interested.
 
Shisui was bored. He was old to play with ninja dolls. He was already at the academy, he was almost a man. “Fugaku-san told me that you are going to begin the academy in January. Is that true, Itachi?” he asked.
“Hn.” The boy nodded.
Shisui rolled his eyes. Itachi could be deadly boring sometimes. Suddenly, a flash hit his mind. Now he definitely knew how to impress his cousin. “Did you ever have a girlfriend, Itachi?”
 
Itachi looked at his cousin. “Ja.” He said. He noticed Shisui grinning even more. “Nande?” he asked.
Shisui was immensely satisfied. He had raised his cousin's interest. “Well, because I do.”
Itachi seemed interested, so he went on. “Her name is Tsuki. She is in my class at the academy.” He added.
“Is she strong?” asked Itachi, handing Sasuke a small sand nin.
“Well, not very much. But she is pretty.”
The long haired child snorted. Shisui rolled his eyes “Girls are not meant to be strong, Itachi. They are meant to be pretty, and sweet, and nice. Otherwise they would be boys.”
“Then I am not interested.” His cousin said coldly.
“You don't understand Itachi. Tsuki always brings me a candy, at lunch, and so do I. And sometimes” he said, coming closer to Itachi's ear “we even do that.
Itachi's eyes widened. “That…as in, that that?” he inquired.
Shisui smiled triumphantly. “Hai.”
“And how is?”
Shisui looked thoughtful. “Wet.”
“Wet?” the child was disgusted.
“Mmm. Wet. And warm.” His cousin confirmed.
“And…and you like it?”
“Of course I do!”
Itachi stared, and went back to playing with his ninjas, scheming war strategies.
 
* * *
“Acchan, didn't I tell you not to sleep?” Shinji asked when they arrived in sight of the huge compound.
“Mmm. Hai, tousan, you did.” The little girl said rubbing her eyes, and yawning.
“My, my, Asuka, look what a mess you did.” Her mother said, approaching her. She removed the child's cat-eared hat, and adjusted the fringe, and the wavy, long curls. “Are you cold, Asuka-chan?” her father asked.
Asuka shook her head. “Tousan, is that going to be boring? I don't like it when I have to sit and smile. It is boring.” She said, brows arched.
“You will have to be a good little lady, Acchan, but I promise that I will let you play. There are going to be children of your age. Ren-chan is going to be there, too.” He smiled, knowing that the girl loved her cousin's company.
“Ren? For real? Yeee!!!”
The girl climbed down her father, and once she had reached the ground safely she hurried to her little brother. “Shin! Shin! We are going to play with Ren!” she exclaimed.
The younger child was barely awake, but hearing the cousin's name joined his sister in cheering `yeee'.
The two Yoshizumi brothers loved Ren. He always made up new games, and they were always funny.
 
The family entered the gates of the Uchiha compound, welcomed by the two guards outside.
 
“Look, Asuka-chan” Asuko said, pointing at a huge Christmas tree covered in lights standing in the middle of the garden. Red and silver decorations were hung all over the place, and the lights of the main building were all lit up.
 
“It's the first time I see the Uchiha mansion this warm and…dare I say it? Welcoming!” Shinji said.
“Shh!” his wife silenced him, as she noticed Mikoto-san approaching.
“Asuko-chan! Shinji-san! Welcome!” she greeted the two guests. Shinji nodded.
“Merry Christmas, Mikoto-chan” Asuko said hugging her childhood friend. “Yes, merry Christmas, Mikoto-san!” Asuka and Shin exclaimed together.
“Oh! And you two must be Asuka-chan and Shin-chan…it's a pleasure”, she said, bowing lightly to the children, as they politely bowed in respect. “Let's go in, it is pretty cold out here” she said, making way to the main room.
 
Asuko removed her two children's jackets and shoes, and they introduced and bowed to the Uchiha and the Yoshizumi elders.
“Asuka-chan! You're so cute!” Mikoto exclaimed as the little girl was having her hair fixed by her mother. The longer bangs on the side of her small face were captured by small, glittered hair-pins.
“Isn't that dress totally cute?” Asuko told her friend. The little girl was wearing a small, cream-colored dress, with long sleeves and a skirt that reached a little below her knees, and glittered white stars on the chest. Around the neck and on the wristbands were snow-white laces, and a big white ribbon behind her back.
Asuka's cheeks reddened. She never liked compliments, she never knew how to behave. “Arigato, Mikoto-san…”. “Waaa! She is so cute, a real little lady!” another couple of Uchiha ladies joined the two mothers.
Before other old ladies arrived, Mikoto grabbed Asuka and Shin by the hand, and told them “There is still a little time left before dinner. Would you like to join my children, and play a little bit?”.
Both brothers nodded vigorously.
 
They had arrived to a semi-closed door, and Mikoto let go of Asuka's hand to open.
“Ren!!” the two Yoshizumi children screamed, as they ran to hug their cousin.
“Asuka-chan! Shin-chan!” he smiled back, hugging them.
 
Shin had already been attracted by the toys, while Ren and Asuka were holding hands, the little girl, hiding behind her cousin.
Mikoto smiled. “Don't be afraid, Asuka-chan. This is Shisui-kun, Itachi-kun, and Sasuke-chan. Here. I leave you to your games, then!” she said, leaving the children to play.
 
Sasuke and Shin were playing already, while between the older children silence had fallen. The little girl didn't seem to be willing to leave her cousin's hand, and the two Uchihas were staring at her.
 
“Ne, Itachi…” Shisui whispered “she is really cute…isn't she?”
Itachi nodded.
 
Asuka blushed. Why were they talking as if she wasn't there?
 
“Asuka-chan, we were playing ninjas. Do you want to join us?” Ren asked. The girl nodded.
 
“You can play the Grass nins.” Shisui said, handing her five small ninjas, with Grass hitai-ate.
Asuka took them, but just stared at them.
“What's wrong, Asuka-chan?” her cousin asked.
The little girl blushed, but sounded resolved. “I don't want to play the Grass nins. Can I play Konoha? Please.”
Shisui nodded. “Fine, but you'll have to share with Itachi. I play Suna; Itachi plays Konoha and Ren Mist. Is that alright with you, Itachi?” Itachi nodded. He was impressed that the girl had shown such a resolution in not being the weak hidden village.
Asuka smiled and sat beside the long haired boy.
“See, Asuka-chan” Shisui explained “Konoha is against Mist and Suna. But Suna and Mist aren't allied. When you came in, Ren was ambushing me here” and he pointed to some plastic trees, and Suna nins laying on the room's carpet, like dead.
“And Itachi?” she asked.
“I was training my shinobis” the long haired teen explained.
The little girl looked thoughtful
“If I want to propose you a strategy, how am I supposed to do? Because if they hear it, it is not going to work.” Asuka asked her team mate.
“You can say it in my ear” Itachi said.
She nodded, and moved closer to the boy, who had come closer, too.
“Why don't you ambush them both, now that they are busy fighting each other? You have a bigger army.”
Itachi was now even more impressed.
He nodded.
“Konoha ambushes Suna and Mist, and the Yondaime” he said when Asuka handed him a yellow haired ninja “summons Gamabunta.”. Asuka handed him a huge frog, which Itachi placed on as many enemies as he could, to make it look as if the frog had tread on them.
“Hei! That's just unfair!” Shisui exclaimed.
Asuka and Itachi stick out their tongues.
“No, it is not unfair, it's extremely wise” Ren said, arms crossed, and rubbing his chin with his left hand.
 
The door opened, and Uchiha Fugaku entered, followed by Shinji.
“Oh, I see that Itachi and Asuka are winning” Shinji said, taking a quick look at the children's game.
“Hai!” both children exclaimed.
“So, you are little Asuka?” Fugaku said, looking coldly at the girl.
She nodded. The man smiled, a polite, but cold smile. “I am Uchiha Fugaku, Itachi and Sasuke's father.”
Asuka quickly stood up and bowed. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Fugaku-san.”
The man nodded.
“Dinner is ready. Shall we go, boys?” Shinji said smiling, holding Shin in his arms.
Ren grabbed Asuka by the hand and followed Shinji and Fugaku, who was holding Sasuke.
 
Shisui looked at Itachi, who was staring at the two Yoshizumi cousins.
“What?” Itachi asked, annoyed.
“Asuka-chan is super-cute, isn't she?” Shisui said grinning.
Itachi looked indifferent. “Yes, she is. And?”
“And she is very smart, isn't she?”
“Yes, Shisui, she is.”
The two children were walking into the large corridor, whispering.
“And she is probably pretty strong, too.”
“Yes, maybe.”
“Do you like her?”
“I don't know if she is strong.”
“If she was, would you like her?”
“It may be”
Shisui stopped.
“I dare you!” he exclaimed.
Itachi looked at him questioningly. “Dare me?”
“Yes! You maybe stronger than me, but you never had a girlfriend. And you never did that with a girl. This means that you are not a man!”
“I am stronger than you!” Itachi exclaimed, as if that made him better.
“I dare you to convince Asuka-chan to be your girlfriend and to do that with her!” he said, right arm stretched and finger pointing at his cousin.
“Ok.” Itachi said, walking away.
Shisui was disappointed. “Wait! You mean that you aren't going to refuse, or to attempt to refuse?”
“No”
“Oh.”
 
Asuka-chan wasn't half bad, after all.
 
* * *
The dinner had been very formal, and very long. The children were restless, and bored, and had shown signs of sleep before the dessert.
Sasuke and Shin had actually fallen asleep on a pile of pillows, while Ren and Asuka were chatting with Shisui. Itachi just stared, and replied when explicitly consulted.
 
Itachi was thinking about a plan.
He couldn't just ask the girl `Hei, do you want to be my girlfriend' and kiss her, all of a sudden.
He needed a strategy.
 
“Waa! Look, Itachi!” Asuka had grabbed his hand, and looked very excited. “What, Asuka-chan?”
The little girl pointed out of the window “It is snowing!”
“I can see it is snowing, Asuka-chan. What's so special about it?” he asked. He was genuinely interested in why the little girl seemed so excited.
Asuka blushed. She didn't mean to sound stupid. “Well…Kakashi-san told me…that if you catch a snow-flake on Christmas night, and manage not to melt it, then, then you can make a wish!” she said, still blushing and looking away.
Itachi smiled. This girl was really cute.
He went to his father, and asked. “Tousan, can we go out a few minutes?”
Fugaku looked at his son. “What for?”
Itachi looked straight into his father's orbs. “Just because. It snows. We thought it would be nice.”
Fugaku then softened, and managed to smile less coldly than usual. “You and Shisui can go, but Ren and Asuka-chan will have to ask their parents. Put your jacket, scarf and gloves, and be careful not to catch a cold. You start the academy in a few days.”
Itachi nodded. “Arigato, tousan.”
 
Asuka hurried asking her mother if Ren and she could go out, and Asuko nodded, but personally made sure that both children were properly covered.
 
“You are cute with this red jacket, Asuka-chan” Shisui said. Asuka blushed and thanked him.
“Ren! Stop playing with my hat!” the little girl scolded her cousin, who was pulling at her hat's cat ears.
 
The four children ran outside.
It was silent, very silent, cold, and shiny.
Asuka loved it.
 
Shisui was throwing snow balls to Ren, who accidentally hit Asuka, who replied and was then joined by Itachi. Normally, Itachi wasn't one to play like that. But playing once in a while…he could tolerate it, right?
 
Two teams had formed; Ren and Shisui, and Asuka and Itachi.
Ren and Shisui weren't really acting as a team, but throwing snow balls against each other, occasionally hitting the other two boys.
 
Asuka ran to hide behind the huge Christmas tree, its white lights confusing into the snow.
 
The girl removed a glove, and tried to catch a snow flake.
 
She sighed.
 
They all melted before she could look at them properly.
 
It was then that she noticed Itachi behind her.
 
“You aren't succeeding, are you, Asuka-chan?” he said softly.
The little girl shook her head, and dusted off a bench to sit on it.
Itachi sat beside her, silently.
 
His cheeks, usually pale, were of a light pink, probably because of the cold, or because he had been running.
 
Asuka thought that Itachi was cute, even if she wasn't sure she liked his long hair.
 
She was about to ask him why he didn't cut it, when he spoke.
 
“Ne, Asuka-chan, would you like to be my girlfriend?” he asked, the pink on his cheeks accentuating.
 
Asuka blushed “Why?”
 
“Because you are cute, and I like you. Do you like me?” he asked, seriously. Ok, it wasn't just because of the bet with Shisui. The Yoshizumi girl was very cute.
 
Asuka thought. “You are cute. Yes.” She nodded.
 
They both looked away and stared at their feet, silently.
 
“So…” she said, feeling uneasy.
“Are we boyfriend and girlfriend, now?” he said.
“I guess we are” she confirmed. “But I do not have a present for you.” She said, worried.
 
Itachi looked at her. “A present?”
She nodded. “Couples exchanges gifts at Christmas. My friend Tomoyo told me.”
“Mmm.” He said.
He looked at the sky, and then said. “I do have a present for you.”
 
Asuka was curious.
 
The boy looked very focused. He did a few hand signs, which Asuka mostly recognized. Tori, tora, hebi, uma… “Gyouko no jutsu! (Freezing jutsu!)” He exclaimed.
 
Asuka looked as big, shiny and perfectly visible snowflakes fell on his hand.
 
“For you.” He handed them.
The little girl was lost in the shiny little things.
 
“Make a wish, Itachi-kun!” she exclaimed smiling at him.
“Why?” he asked.
“I already told you! Kakashi-san told me…” she began.
“Oh, yes, yes. He said.” He closed his eyes. “Done.”
“I did it, too. Now, you don't have to tell anyone, or it won't come true.”
“That's stupid”
“It's not!” she looked hurt. “But Itachi-kun…I have no present for you.”
 
“Can I take what I want from you?” he asked.
Asuka nodded.
“Are you sure? Anything?” he made sure.
The little girl nodded again. “Hai, Itachi-kun!”
 
Itachi thought a few seconds. “Close your eyes, Asuka-chan”
“Why?”
“Do it” he commanded.
Asuka closed her eyes. A couple of seconds later, she felt something wet and warm on her lips, and her eyes flashed open. But Itachi had already moved, and he was now smirking, satisfied.
There was no need for Shisui to know, he thought.
 
“Merry Christmas, Asuka-chan.”
 
--------------------
 
Asuka's eyes opened, and she looked around.
 
Itachi was beside her, eyes opened, too, while Kakashi was still asleep.
The kunoichi stared into the Uchiha's eyes. Could he possibly…nah. That was just impossible.
She had completely forgotten that night.
Why did she recall it? Probably the snow's fault, she thought, looking out of the hotel room's window.
“Go back to sleep, Asuka-chan. We have to look for the daimyo's daughter, tomorrow.” Itachi said softly.
“Hai” she answered whispering, careful not to wake Kakashi up.
 
She put her head back on the pillow.
“It was snowing, that night, too…” he said.
“What?” the girl asked, thinking she had misheard.
“I said nothing, Asuka-chan…sleep now.” Itachi whispered, adjusting the cover around them.
“Goodnight, Itachi.”
“Goodnight, Asuka-chan.”