Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Mask-Tastrophe! ❯ The Plot Thickens ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto, Masashi Kishimoto does! I just write fan-works for it…
 
Coming soon…to stores near you…
 
-
Ch. 4
The Plot Thickens!
-
 
Today was the final stretch to that long awaited moment. The assembly would happen later on that night he knew but he was far from prepared as he looked on from a nearby tree. He had managed to avoid most the village for the remainder of the week by leaving and returning secretly. Kotetsu had helped him with that leaving only himself and his companion at a gate but not paying heed to the passing ninja as he escaped for that particular day. Then Kotetsu would have to let Miana know so that she wouldn't freak out again. Kakashi hoped she understood why he did it. “Poor girl,” he murmured under his breath.
 
He stood unable to sit still for too long, wary of being seen, and leapt off to see the Hokage whom was most definitely angry at his absence.
 
-
Hokage
-
 
KAKASHI!” Tsunada yelled throwing a punch at him and missing as he dodged slightly to the side leaving her face to face with the unruly ninja. She growled before yelling, “Where have you been?”
 
“Oh I was around, I kind of had to avoid society but I promise that you won't be disappointed. I will show up later tonight at the appointed area on time.”
 
“You better show up early Kakashi, if you don't I swear I'll…” she yelled, glowering at him.
 
“I guarantee I will be there,” he interrupted, waving his hands to fend off another attack. “Trust me, I just have a few more things to take care of and then I will be there.” He back peddled slightly to get just out of reach in case she decided to try to strangle him.
 
“Kakashi, I'm sorry that the whole village found out,” she said, finally. “I didn't think it would be that large of an issue for you. I suppose I caused this whole mess though huh? I should have just ordered you to just show me…”
 
“Could always change your mind,” Kakashi said, hopeful.
 
“Oh no you don't. You're not gunna get out of it just because I feel bad. No, it shall continue as planned regardless of my feelings!” she replied, determinedly. He nodded figuring as much. He sighed before vanishing.
 
-
The Assembly
-
 
Kakashi sighed as he looked out at the crowd from his perch behind the curtain. He had already let the Hokage know he was there, saving himself from issues later on. Wonderingly he stared out curious where the person was. It seemed his choice was a no show and this worried him. If his choice did not appear then the crowd may attack him immediately. A sudden thought hit him, what if the person didn't show—he might be able to get out of this mess that way. He smiled but knew the latter to be unlikely. He sighed, watching impatiently, he would just have to look over those present and choose someone else or maybe just call on his missing choice and hope that the person appears before he's attacked.
 
“What to do,” he wondered. Leaping down from his perch Kakashi stood slitting the curtain unnoticeably and peered out once more. Gods he was nervous, he most definitely was not ready for any of this and had not been looking forward to tonight. How could this person be late when he had been early, usually it was the other way around. Usually everyone else would be early and he would be the one late. Attempting to wrack his own brain didn't seem to help either way. He would just have to hope the person showed up before the event started or shortly after.
 
“Kakashi?” Tsunade asked, her eyes shining with unshed tears of happiness. “Who did you pick?”
 
“I can't reveal that information, especially not so close to the event.” He dodged to avoid revealing it just for her to notice the person being missing in action and throw a full out search party. He looked back to the crowd.
 
“Kakashi, it's time…I'll go out there first,” she said suddenly walking out onto the stage. Her voice suddenly boomed out over the crowd and the city, he assumed. “And now the moment you all have been waiting for! Kakashi!” That was his cue he stepped out onto the stage the bright lights focusing on him as he did so and following him to his final standing place behind a microphone. He hoped that with this, the person would hear their name being called at least. No, he had to make a decision here and now it was do or die. Stay with the person he chose or choose someone else. Finally, he diced just as Tsunade called out once more, “So Kakashi, who did you choose.” He took one last look around the crowd in hopes that he could change his mind. Kakashi found no answers and when he finally spoke.
 
“I choose…”
 
-
Meanwhile
-
 
Naruto sighed as he looked up at the night sky. Surely, it was almost time for the start of the assembly maybe he should be there. He violently shook his head as he made the decision final, no, he would give someone else the chance. He was only curious what Kakashi's face looked like he didn't want a kiss. So many people would trade their arms, legs and livers for the chance but not Naruto. Naruto sighed again he should at least appear once someone was chosen just to see and congratulate them at least. “No, just being anywhere near could change his decision and refuse to make him feel obligated to choose me. I refuse!” he yelled suddenly.
 
“I'm surprised. So, you don't want to be there then?” a voice behind him said. He turned around only to see a shocked Sasuke standing there.
 
“Sasuke!” Naruto exclaimed, waving his hands in front of him as though attempting to dispel or ward off some illusion.
 
“Baka,” Sasuke said suddenly.
 
“Uhn, it's not that I don't want to be there…I just don't want to be picked, so if I stay away he won't feel obligated to pick me, but you should be there, why aren't you?” Naruto asked.
 
“Baka, I came looking for you!” Sasuke replied. “I figured you of all people wanted to be there to at least see it. Oh well, guess I'll keep you company.”
 
“You sure?” Naruto asked.
 
“Yea.”
 
“And now the moment you've all been waiting for…” Tsunades voice sounded far away, yet so close to them. “Kakashi!”
 
“Sounds like it's started already I wonder who he will choose.” Sasuke wondered aloud.
 
“Who knows,” Naruto replied, as Tsunades voice rang out once more. “Listen.”
 
“I choose,” there was a slight pause. “Sasuke.” Sasuke jumped his entire body seizing up on him.
 
“Wha~?” Naruto grabbed Sasuke suddenly and gave a quick shake.
 
“Snap out of it and come on!” Naruto yelled at him.
 
Sasuke bolted past Naruto the shock having worn off and ran with speed he didn't know he had towards the stage. Buildings and trees flew by him, branches missing him in his haste. Finally, the area opened up and the crowd turned to him but his attention was locked on Kakashi whom had noticed his sudden appearance and appeared happy. He couldn't tell as the mask still obscured his expression but his eyes were tightened as though beneath that mask could be a smile waiting.
 
-
On Stage
-
 
Kakashi was sweating profusely as he watched the crowd, he noticed they were restless after the announcement but he had been expecting much worse he almost expected to be tackled immediately after the noticed that Sasuke was not among them. They didn't seem too concerned with it for the most part. He was thanking his lucky stars that at least the search was giving him valuable time that he may need to get a good leap, he was already preparing himself to flee when a motion caught his eye and he focused his attention to the new arrival and smiled realizing whom it was. He was relieved that the chosen had shown. The crowd then noticed him and began to usher him to the stage. Sasuke climbed up onto the stage and stood in front of Kakashi with his back to the crowd hiding his conflicting emotions.
 
“Are you mad that I showed? Or relieved?” Sasuke asked immediately.
 
“Happy actually, are you sure you want to go through with this or would it make you too uncomfortable?” Kakashi questioned in return.
 
“I can handle it,” Sasuke replied, solidifying his resolve. Kakashi nodded and raised his hand to the mask he pulled it all the way down allowing everyone to view his now bared face. One of his hands reached behind Sasuke's head and pulled the shocked male closer. Their lips met causing a blush to spread across Sasuke's face. Kakashi pulled back and allowed the other to catch his wits before releasing him and replacing the mask over his face. Sasuke was able to make out a small smirk as the mask was being placed to obscure the expression once more.
 
-
Sneak Peek
-
 
Gai can still be found today