Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Alone in the World ❯ It was huuuuuge!!! ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
 
Alone in the World
 
Chapter Eight-
 
Naruto was out the door in less than ten minutes, leaving his door wide open. He zoomed down the street. There was hardly anybody else out this early in the morning. And it was early, even though he was running late. They always met at sunrise and the sun had risen at least half an hour ago if not longer. He stopped in the seemingly empty sidewalk, and did a quick memory check. “Ok, we meet on the east side of the forest, right?” He pondered aloud. He gave a quick nod of his head, `Yeah, it was the east side…I think…' he shook his head, `It is east.' He made his way to the forest.
 
He rubbed his left eye; he was starting to develop a horrible migraine. He fuzzily remembered the dreams he had the previous night, but he couldn't get a firm grip on any of it to know what it all meant. He remembered a wolf, and blood, and darkness. But what he remembered most vividly were the emotions that went along with it all. Uncertainty, Fear, Hopelessness, Anger…so many…
 
He took a deep breath, then stopped walking, “Aw, man, I forgot to eat breakfast…” he moaned to himself. He reached into his pocket. Empty. “…damn…” He didn't have any money, so, now he was going to have to try to survive till lunch. He sighed and shook his head, big mistake. He winced and grabbed the web of his left hand and began massaging it, hoping it would relieve the migraine somewhat. `Maybe I should just stay home today…' he thought, not looking forward to a day of training with a headache. He sighed again, `I can't miss another day, and besides, I already said I was going to come today…and I always do what I say I'm going to do.'
 
When he got to the clearing in the east side of the forest, where they always rendezvoused, he saw…
 
Nothing.
 
Nothing but trees and grass. Nobody was there. His shoulders sagged and he trudged his way to the center of the clearing. “Guess I have to wait,” he said aloud and then sat down, wondering where everybody was. He began plucking blades of grass, tearing them to shreds before pulling another one.
 
As the minutes rolled by, he began to worry. It was unlike Sakura and Sasuke to be late. They were never late. Maybe…maybe they…would they? Would they have left without him? He mentally shook his head. No, they wouldn't do that. They were trained as a three-man cell, what would they do with only two people? A few visions of just exactly what two people could do together flashed through his mind…two people of the opposite sex…
 
“Ah, no, bad thoughts, bad thoughts,” he said, shaking his head. “Ack, dammit!” he said, holding his head between his hands as it began to throb viciously.
 
He got up, “Maybe I should go look for them,” he told himself, and then jumped into the nearest tree. He loved this mode of transportation: jumping from tree limb to tree limb. In the short interval that he was whizzing through the air, he felt like was flying, though he knew he wasn't. It was fun, relaxing, and up-lifting. It was just him, the wind rushing past him and the trees. Everything else fell away. All his worries and obligations were, for a moment at least, no more. Even his headache faded for the moment.
 
He stopped briefly to get his bearings, gazing down to the forest floor, looking for Sasuke and Sakura. When he didn't see them he moved on.
 
He finally spotted them. They were still far off, so all he really saw was Sakura, but he saw a dark spot that was most likely Sasuke. He stopped and jumped down from the tree limb that he had been perching on. He grinned, feeling impish all of a sudden. He wondered if he could manage to sneak up on them…
 
He circled them widely, making sure that they didn't hear or see him. He moved carefully, planning each step. He didn't want to step on a twig or make any kind of mistake that would enable them to detect them. He grinned to himself. He'd show them that he could be a ninja, a real ninja; by scaring the crap out of them…He snickered quietly. `This is going to be awesome,' he thought, grinning widely. He stopped and checked their position.
 
He pressed his chest against a tree and looked around it at Sasuke and Sakura. They were talking, well, Sakura was. Sasuke would just nod his head every once in a while. Naruto couldn't hear what it was that she was saying. Naruto strained his ears, trying to pick up a few words of the conversation, but got nothing.
 
He soon gave up trying to hear what Sakura was saying, it didn't really matter anyway. He snuck around, getting closer. He grinned, for once; he just might be able to sneak up on Sasuke. Most of the times he managed to sneak up on Sakura, but he'd never been able to do so on Sasuke. It was irritating, to say the least, but now it seemed like he'd finally gotten his chance.
 
`Okay, how am I going to do this? Should I climb back into a tree and jump down or should I just stay in the bushes?'
 
He opted to go into the trees. There would be less noise, he figured. He scrambled into a tree that was a few trees away from Sasuke and Sakura.
 
He momentarily lost sight of them as he jumped to the tree that they were under. He peeked down at them, a huge grin on his face, they hadn't notice him, yet. Sweet! But he soon saw the reason why they hadn't noticed him. His grin slowly dissipated and his recently renewed spirits plummeted. He looked away, closing his eyes tight. But the image was forever engraved into his mind. He jumped down from the tree, not caring if Sasuke and Sakura heard or saw him and ran away.
 
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
 
Kakashi sighed, as he flipped over the page in his book. Imagine his surprise when he arrived upon the designated meeting spot to find none of his students present. He had stood in confusion, wondering where they could be. Where was Sakura to yell at him for being late? Where was Naruto to back up Sakura in her admonishments? And where was Sasuke to silently glare at him for making him wait with his loud-mouthed teammates?
 
On second thought, maybe it was a good thing they weren't there…He had settled down on a conveniently placed boulder and pulled out his book.
 
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
 
“Do you think he saw us?” Sakura said. She looked at Sasuke with a worried expression on her face as the orange blur faded into the trees.
 
Sasuke raised an eyebrow, “Well, judging by the speed that he ran away, I'd say…yes.”
 
Sakura bit her bottom lip, “…”
 
“Come on, we better go. Kakashi-sensei is probably waiting,” Sasuke said, pushing off the tree he had been leaning against. He held a disgusted look on his face as he looked on at Sakura with her worried expression. If she was so worried about Naruto, then why'd she ask him to do this?
 
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
 
Naruto ran as fast as he could go. He eyes shut tightly, forbidding his tears any kind of escape.
 
His headache had come back full-force, but it was nothing compared to the ache in his heart he now felt.
 
He didn't know why this affected him so much. He knew that it would eventually happen. It was only a matter of time…he just thought he'd have more time. A new surge of tears came over him blurring his already blurred vision; this time he let them go. They streamed down his cheeks and dried just as fast as they came.
 
His tears added to his speed caused him to trip over a root and he tumbled head-over-heels to the ground.
 
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
 
Kakashi jumped up as an orange thing fell into a heap a few feet away from him. Recognizing it as Naruto, he walked over and stared down at him. “Are you alright?” He asked, traces of laughter evident in his voice.
 
And he had every right to find this humorous. Naruto had landed face down, on his knees, with his chest on the ground and his butt sticking up in the air. He looked like a bunny-rabbit. All he needed was a fluffy tail, long ears and he was set.
 
Naruto rolled over onto his back, and stared up at Kakashi in bewilderment, seeing double. “Whoa…Kakashi-sensei, I didn't know you had a twin…” he said, in a dazed voice.
 
Kakashi shook his head and rolled his eyes, chuckling softly to himself. He offered his hand to Naruto and pulled him up.
 
Naruto staggered a bit once he was on his feet, his head still spinning. “Heh, what a ride…” he said, grinning.
 
Kakashi just gave him a look, “What were you running from anyway?”
 
Naruto's grin faltered, but only a little. “Oh,” he laughed nervously, “Nothing.”
 
“Really? The way you were running, seemed like a devil was after you…” Kakashi said suspiciously.
 
“Huh? Oh, yeah, right. Well, it wasn't exactly nothing. There was something…”Naruto said, stalling for time. “There was a boar!”
 
`Boar? Where the hell did that come from?' Naruto thought, as the words came out, surprising himself.
 
“A boar?” Kakashi said, even more suspicious.
 
“Yeah, a wild boar. It was huuuuge!! It was so freakin' huge,” Naruto began, warming up to the lie. He indicated with his hands just how huge this imaginary boar was.
 
“And just how did you come across this wild boar?”
 
“Oh, well, I got lost on my way and I was wandering through the woods and-and-and when I turned around…there it was! I was so freaked! It looked me straight in the eyes and then began charging! I was like `Oh, crap!' and took off running as fast as I could go!!” Naruto said excitedly, gesturing wildly with his hands for emphasis. He was grinning like a maniac. This was way more fun and exciting than the truth. And it hurt less to act like this. To pretend that nothing had happened. That nothing was bothering him. At least now it didn't hurt. It didn't hurt now because they weren't there. Sakura and Sasuke. He wouldn't be able to look at them now without seeing them like that.
 
“Is that right?” Kakashi asked. He didn't believe a word Naruto was saying. Why? Because there were no wild boar in this area. “And where exactly is this wild boar?”
 
“Uh…” Naruto paused and looked around, “Musta lost it.”
 
“Right.” Kakashi shook his head, “Well, anyway, we have a mission today, where are Sasuke and Sakura?”
 
Naruto visibly jumped at the sound of their names. “Dunno. Haven't seen them,” he said, shrugging.
 
Kakashi sighed, “Guess we'll have to wait…” he said, running his hands through his hair.
 
Naruto walked over to the boulder that Kakashi had previously been occupying and sat down, bring one knee up to his chest with the other leg hanging down over the boulder. The mention of their names brought back the image that he had momentarily forgotten during his little story. But now it had starkly returned.
 
Sakura and Sasuke standing under a tree. Sakura's arms wrapped around Sasuke's shoulders. Sasuke's arms wrapped around Sakura's waist. Their bodies pressed close. Sakura's eyes closed with an expression of utmost euphoria on her slightly flushed face. Sasuke's brows creased into one of concentration. Lips locked in a seemingly never ending dance.
 
-:-:-End Chapter Eight-:-:-
 
A/N: Well, we all saw that coming, huh? Yeah, and it was kind of embarrassing for me to write that last little paragraph…I've finally remember what I had originally planned for this story, so I'll be able to update more regularly now, instead once every two months or whatever…and for those who have just started reading this or had to re-read it, is it flowing properly? Are there any awkward moments, or something that I had left off at, but didn't go back to finish up? I found one spot at the end of chapter five, and I'll be getting back to that in the next chapter…oh, and I know I don't deserve it, but could you review and tell me what you think? And if this a/n is too long, tell me that too….Thank you!