Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Balance ❯ Decisions ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“But… h-how Kiba… k-kun?” she asked after collecting her emotions.
 
He grinned at her like if she had just asked him to sell her something illegally.
 
“Go out with other guys…” he smirked, nodding slowly. To his surprise, she didn't blush. As a matter of fact, she didn't show any form of embarrassment… or thinking it was outrageous. She looked like she was actually considering it.
 
This might be easier than I thought…
 
“But I… couldn't just use someone like that…” she said, more to herself than to Kiba. She looked down at her feet like if she was afraid she'd get laughed at.
 
Oh, right. This is Hinata I'm talking about. “Uh- you're not using them -if it's just a dinner or something…” He tried. “Here, I'll even help you pick a guy!”
 
She didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either, so he decided to continue `helping' her. It's gotta be someone I know won't hurt her… Maybe… “How about one of the guys from the academy?”
 
“I… I don't know...” she hesitated, placing her thumbnail on her lip.
 
“Please! Come on Hina-chan!” he pleaded. He pouted in defeat when he saw she was still unsure. Then, slowly, he leaned in and almost whispered. “You want Naruto right?”
 
Her eyes widened. Her body perked up instantly and she nodded swiftly.
Kiba smirked to himself.
 
“Ye-yes.” She said.
 
“Alright then!” He smiled. Rubbing his chin in thought, he considered the options. Hinata stood waiting expectantly for her choices. “How about…” He snapped and pointed at her. “Shikamaru!”
 
Hinata looked away and pointed her fingers together. “Wouldn't he think it were too…” she paused.
 
“Troublesome. Right…” he went back to his pensive state. “Ooh! How about Lee?”
 
Hinata's eyes widened and her brows furrowed. Her expression was an attempt at a polite `hell no'. She opened her mouth to try and give a reason why (and not seem like a total jerk) when Kiba raised his hand for her to stop.
 
“Yeah don't… just… yeah.” He said, not even looking at her, having returned to his deep thought. After a few more seconds he looked up to her hesitantly. “Uh… Shino?” he shrugged.
 
Hinata blushed slightly. “I don't think it would be right… He's very nice… and I care for him dearly… but it would just be too strange.” She reasoned. Kiba nodded in acceptance. A grin slowly appeared on his face, and he chuckled.
 
“If he heard you say that, he'd probably cry himself to sleep every night. Heh heh…” Hinata pushed him a bit, trying (but failing) to hide her smile.
 
“Kiba-kun!” she scolded, now with a full-out `Hinata smile'.
 
“Eh, it's true! The guy never lets things go!” he defended, and chuckled. Slowly, their giggle fit ended. They walked another block in an after-laugh silence. However, Hinata felt it was more than just that. The entire mood had changed to one peculiarly more somber. She looked up at her friend worriedly. Just as she thought, he was facing forward with a serious expression. She opened her mouth to speak but Kiba beat her to it.
 
“Hinata, you have to be careful.” He said. Now she was worried. He looked at her just as seriously. “Whoever you choose might really fall in love with you.”
 
“… Wha-?” One, she had no idea where this came from, and two, she thought, why would anyone fall in love with her? She stared at him.
 
“Oh, come on. You're sweet, you're non-violent, really pretty, I mean, who wouldn't?” She blushed and started playing bashfully with her hair. He smiled teasingly. “So… got any ideas of who to choose? … I'm all out…”
 
“Um… maybe… may I try… Sai?” she asked. He blinked. “I could get to know him… and he seems very nice…”
 
“Sure, I guess…” I don't know though… he's an emotionless perv from what Naruto says, and Naruto knows what's perverted… BUT I guess I could let her. I worry too much anyway.
 
“Okay… then…”
 
“I'll tell him to take you out.” Kiba said and smiled. And if he does anything to you I'll take him out.
 
 
Oh Dear. Lady Tsunade is so stressed right now. This whole decision must be taking such a toll on her. It's not long before she starts drinking... Wait… her sake stash!!
 
Shizune, who had been walking worriedly through the halls of the building, turned on her heel and sped to the Hokage's office. She looked so determined and serious, anyone would've thought she was handling a matter of life or death. To her, it kind of was. Her own life or death.
 
The sweat that gathered on her brow was left to float in the air behind her as she ran. When she reached the office doors, she tried to stop, but skidded because of her speed. She fumbled for the doorknob and balance at once, and ended up bursting sloppily through the doors.
 
To her surprise, there weren't three bottles of sake on her desk. In fact, there wasn't a single one. Instead, Tsunade sat with her face resting on her laced fingers. She looked very pensive, even after Shizune's loud entrance.
 
The Hokage's assistant walked up to the desk, scanning the room for any sign of alcoholic beverages. Finding none, she glanced curiously at Tsunade, who by then was returning the glance.
 
“M'Lady?” she said, still trying to grasp the situation.
 
Tsunade arched a brow. That was usually the sign that the panting assistant should elaborate, but when she simply sweat-dropped, the elder woman decided to let the topic slide. It wasn't hard, since it certainly wasn't the greatest thing on her mind.
 
She had decided a while before that she would trust the gutsy young ninja. It hadn't hurt her to trust one before, heck, she was respected again because of him, but now it wasn't just her who would benefit or lose from this decision. Now she had the whole village's well being on her shoulders. Now whatever she chose could potentially hurt her village, and she couldn't let that happen.
 
Shizune understood that the silence wasn't one of disregard, and stood supportively, an equally supportive Tom-Tom now in her arms.
 
“I trust them.” The blonde stated. Shizune nodded loyally. “… But I'm not entirely sure who to send…”
 
The brunette perked up slightly, finally finding some way to be of some help.
 
“They requested one of our ninja, correct? Why not send an ANBU? One appropriate for the situation, as you did with `Yamato'”
 
“I thought of that too, but they trusted us to one of our most skilled ninja. Simply sending an ANBU would completely demolish the entire reason why they have made this request.”
 
“I see… And Sakura M'lady?” she asked, adjusting the slipping pig in her arms.
 
Tsunade shook her head. “No. She's too valuable to us. I trust them, but I'm not stupid.”
 
Shizune nodded slowly. Sending their medic genius away with a random squad would be very unethical. She had too much potential there in the village to go away, and with this lead they were getting on Sasuke, she most certainly wouldn't take fondly to going either.
 
A silence passed amongst them. Both women couldn't deny that sending Naruto had indeed crossed their minds. He had proven himself many a time to be a powerful ninja. Of course, similar problems would arise as well, and being a Jinchuuriki he would be put under too great a risk. So, they slipped that choice to the back of their minds.
 
“Well, we have other jounin that have definitely proven themselves.” Shizune reasoned. “Like… Nara Shikamaru?” she added hopefully.
 
“No.”
 
The poor assistant almost fell anime-style. “Wh-why ever not M'lady? He is very intelligent, he's taken down an immortal member of the Akatsuki-”
 
“-I know very well what he's done.” Tsunade firmly stated. “I also know he has made a promise he wishes to keep, and I respect that.”
 
“But-”
 
“You wanna give it a shot Shizune?” she smirked. “He's turned down the Guardian Shinobi Twelve. The kid means business.”
 
“Well then…” she said. It was best she just give up and try another option, she thought. “I suppose we could send… Hyuuga Neji?”
 
Tsunade remained silent. He was certainly highly skilled. A little prodigy, the boy; pride of the Hyuuga, despite being a branch member. Of course, that very reason was what she hesitated on. That Hyuuga Hiashi had a pole too far up his hind to allow him to go.
 
She noticed the shadows in the room had grown longer, indicating late afternoon. Already nearing the end of the day. With the potential Itachi-hunt in week and the due-date for her decision tomorrow evening, she didn't have time to have too many doubts. She had to get someone to go, and right now, that someone was Neji.
 
“Hiashi better allow it, or we're screwed.” She mumbled.