Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Bless the Child ❯ chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bless the Child
Chapter One
 
Dark clouds hung low in the sky, and in the distance loud peals of thunder shook the air. It was hot and the humidity was very high. This was the type of weather where most people wanted to stay in the cool cellars or some other such place where it was cooler. Even the impending storm didn't seem to be helping to cool things down.
 
Naruto would have loved to be somewhere cool at that moment, but Tsunade had sent him on a solo mission to deliver a scroll to the Hidden Village of Time. The village was located south of Konoha, which meant that, if anything, the temperature would get hotter rather than cooler, which irritated Naruto to no end.
 
The young ninja had been on the road for three days, and it would take another ten days to reach the Hidden Village of Time. He hoped that the storm would break soon and cool things down, even for a little bit.
 
“Of course the old hag would send me out in weather like this,” Naruto growled, pausing to get a drink of water and wipe the sweat away from his eyes.
 
On either side of the road the leaves rustled in the wind, which was steadily picking up. Sighing loudly, Naruto looked up at the sky, just in time to feel the first drop of rain hit his face. It was followed by another drop, and a moment later a steady but light rain had begun to fall.
 
Naruto continued his way down the road, running at a high speed as only a ninja could. The rain felt good, for he finally began to cool off somewhat, and the thunder that grew louder by the moment was helping take the humidity down. For a brief moment Naruto felt that he might actually enjoy this trip, but of course the perverse gods of misfortune had other plans. Because with a suddenly, particularly loud peal of thunder, the steady but gentle rain became a torrential downpour.
 
“Can't I ever catch a break?!” Naruto wailed.
 
 
 
 
Konton and Chame both sat up in the rafters of the small temple, each one relating to the other past exploits that they had pulled off. The both of them were demi-gods, in particular the kind that liked to cause trouble. It didn't help that they were both constantly competing with each other to see who was the stronger. It was a constant argument between them, and it was the current topic of conversation between them at that moment.
 
Of the two, Konton was the larger, more muscular one. His skin, when he chose to take a form, was a pale blue in color, with white hair that fell to his waist. Chame was the more dainty one, and when she chose to take form, her skin was a pale green, and like Konton, had very long white hair. More often than not they took the form of little imps, but when the situation warranted, they would change their forms to something different. And while Konton had the ability to destroy life, and Chame the ability to create life, they always used their abilities to cause trouble for humans, since that was how the two demi-gods competed with each other to measure their strength.
 
“Oh please,” Chame said when Konton had finished his latest tale of trouble he'd caused to a village in the north. “Any pathetic low-level demon could have pulled that off. What is so difficult about causing a team of cart horses to drop dead?”
 
“It ruined that farmer's entire business!” Konton snapped back, puffing his chest up.
 
Chame snorted. “Lame,” was all she said in reply.
 
“Oh, like you could do better?” Konton asked.
 
“Of course I could. I always do,” Chame said in a very sweet, condescending tone.
 
“Sounds like a challenge to me.”
 
“Fine. Name the challenge and I'll do it.”
 
Konton grinned. “Okay, then, miss `I'm-so-clever'. You have the power to create life, the next person who comes into this temple, you make pregnant. Regardless of age or gender. Unless you just don't have the power for it.”
 
“I accept your challenge,” Chame said, stung by the barb of her being weaker than him. “Next person to come in, regardless of age and gender.”
 
Well, you won't have to wait to long. Look what just walked into the temple.”
 
Chame turned to see what it was Konton was pointing at. Standing in the doorway of the temple, completely soaked with water dripping from every surface was a blond-haired teenager.