Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Call Me Selfish ❯ Our Little Games ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Call Me Selfish
 
Disclaimers: I do not own Naruto. If I did own Naruto I wouldn't have to write annoying disclaimers- now would I?
 
Okay. I was very naughty. I really have too many works in progress to be starting another one- but I really really really wanted to write a Naruto fan fiction. So sue me. Please don't.
 
Anyway- if you know me from any of my other works- you'd know that I am indeed an angsty writer. So you can expect the same sort of thing from me here. This time it's a Naruto/Iruka relationship fic, but not yaoi. It's just their bond of son and father thing.
 
If you wanna know where this might be going than read the classic Of Mice and Men and get back to me. Cause it will take that sort of route- just in forewarning.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Prologue:
Our Little Games
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.”
-Elbert Hubbard
xxx
 
 
A thin white noodle suspended above a precipice- in between the cold air and the soon end of existence. A young man, wavering between the boyhood ages of fifteen and the manhood he was soon to receive at sixteen, slurped nosily down the rest of his bowlful of ramen.
 
“Damn, Naruto,” the much older man beside him chuckled. Instead of continuing his thought, the man just straightened his hitai-ate that worked as both a bandana and symbol of the Konoha clan. The clan they both proudly shared.
 
“Wot?” asked the boy with still pieces of ramen hanging from his stuffed mouth.
 
The elder man made the mistake of taking a sip of water before looking over at his former pupil. He just barely contained it enough so that he had time to turn his head before he spewed water all over the counter. Naruto swallowed hard- concern for his half chocking half laughing companion evident on his face.
 
“Iruka-sensei,” Naruto gripped his friend's shoulder. Iruka just swallowed and laughed some more. Usually his sensei was used to his `full faces' but apparently this time, Iruka hadn't been prepared. Naruto smiled cheerfully along with his former sensei's uplifting laughter.
 
“When,” Iruka finally began wiping a tear the corner of his eye. “I brought you here I hadn't expected you to make an entire feast of it. You have to go on a mission in a few hours, don't you?”
 
Naruto had already dug back into his ramen with slightly chewed chopsticks by the time Iruka spoke. But the question did not rise cause any smile on Naruto's part. He took another mouthful down before answering.
 
“A class D mission,” said Naruto with certain spite after swallowing.
 
“And what's wrong with that?” Iruka asked- his eyebrows raising.
 
Naruto didn't answer. Instead he just shoveled more ramen into his mouth to prevent from having to answer Iruka.
 
Iruka interpreted the silence well. He smiled and looked blankly at the roof of the tent, listening to soft dying pitter of rain splash against the top.
 
“Bitter? At still being a gennin?” inquired Iruka slowly and quietly so not to offend the young man.
 
Naruto laid down his chopsticks and smiled softly into his ramen. When he looked at his former sensei- his blue eyes seemed to sparkle.
 
“Nah,” he said simply tucking his arms childishly behind his head. “So I'm not a genius? We all knew that. But I will be Hokage… Even if I have to do a zillion of these stupid D missions.”
 
“That's the spirit,” Iruka chimed cheerfully.
 
Naruto started in on his ramen again and Iruka looked on in silence. Just as Naruto closed in on the last noodle his sensei finally spoke, “You've become strong, Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled arrogantly at the comment, but only nodded, slurping up his last noodle.
 
Iruka let off a low sigh and then put on a grin that might even beat Naruto's trademark one.
 
“Let's play a game alright, Naruto?”
 
“A game…” Naruto thought it over while playing with his empty bowl. He dropped the chopsticks in it with a low clunk and then turned back to Iruka. “Alright. What kind of game is it?”
 
“Since you are going out on a mission… how about we see if we can name the most people we need to protect alright? No repeats,” Naruto looked a bit discouraged. “And I'll start… How about… Our Hokage, Tsunade-sama.”
 
Naruto's grimaced at Iruka's cheap shot. He took the easiest answer first. The dog.
 
“This ramen place,” Naruto stated after a moment, knocking his fist against the table.
 
Iruka laughed, “People, Naruto, people!”
 
“Alright, my team! Team #7. That three people counting Kakashi-sennin! And Ero-sennin too!”
 
“Clever. In that case, I say,” Iruka thumbed his chin,”…all of Konoha.”
 
“Hey!” protested Naruto, “That's against the rules.”
 
“Ha. Fine. You then, Naruto.” Iruka said gently. The rain had stopped pattering- the sunlight was finally peaking out lazily from behind its blankets of clouds.
 
Naruto smiled brightly. The sun illuminated his face pleasantly. He was just about to speak when a slight pop announced his assigned jounin superior.
 
Naruto turned just as Kakashi finished a nodded greeting to Iruka.
 
“Time to go, Naruto.” Kakashi announced.
 
“Alright,” chimed Naruto. He leapt off the stool which's drop was far shorter than it used to be. He turned and waved a friendly goodbye which Iruka returned weakly.
 
Then Iruka turned once again to Naruto's empty ramen bowl feeling very much like a sardine in this little shop.
 
“I can never get used to that,” smiled Iruka gently. “You're just growing up too fast for me, kid.”
 
And with that said, Iruka stood up, laid out the necessary gold coins to pay for Naruto's appetite, and headed on his way- back home.
 
To Be Continued…
Please R & R!
 
Okay- it hasn't gotten anywhere yet, but this part of the story is really important. So don't just ignore it because it's short and unangsty.
 
I'm starting the story a few years in the future- if you guys didn't notice. It is a bit out of wack on the storyline. They've supposedly defeated Orochimaru at this point. And if you don't know who that guy is, first you obviously haven't gotten into the series very far, and second he's not important to this story so don't worry about it.
 
This was tricky to plan out- mostly because I needed Tsunade to be the Hokage but then I also need Sasuke and Sakura to still be apart of Naruto's team. Ero-sennin is still hanging around but currently things have been settling down in Konoha and taking back their normal sort of pace. So still being genin- (I have no real idea but I'm just having it this way so that it will work for my story) they are under Kakashi's guidance. Ero-sennin will sometimes whisk Naruto away at times to do special sort of things but at this point it is rare.
 
Itachi is still out there but he hasn't made much of an appearance yet. Call me lazy but I didn't want to get rid of him in this story- I like the feeling that he's still out there waiting to get Naruto. -insert evil laugher-
 
Yesh, so anyway. If anything is out of place in this, I beg you to just bear with me. It's easy. Just grit your teeth and imagine with me. I promise it shouldn't be too painful. -insert sheepish grin-
 
Anyway I hoped you enjoyed the prologue. Please review, your patronage is much appreciated.