Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Call Me Selfish ❯ Ranked D ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Call Me Selfish
 
Disclaimers: I do not own Naruto. If I did own Naruto I wouldn't have to write annoying disclaimers- now would I?
 
I was bad yet again. For some reason I just can't get enough of this story. It was too short- the first chapter, and I felt the incredible need to continue.

So here I go. Wish me luck.
 
LAST TIME ON CALL ME SELFISH
 
A young man, wavering between the boyhood ages of fifteen and the manhood he was soon to receive at sixteen, slurped nosily down the rest of his bowlful of ramen.
 
“…You have to go on a mission in a few hours, don't you?”
 
“A class D mission,” said Naruto with certain spite after swallowing.
 
“You've become strong, Naruto.”
 
“…how about we see if we can name the most people we need to protect alright?”
 
“You, then, Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled brightly.
 
“Time to go, Naruto.” Kakashi announced.
 
“You're just growing up too fast for me, kid.”
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Chapter One:
Ranked D
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.”
-Jonathan Kozol
xxx
 
“Naruto-kun!”
 
“Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled gleefully at both of his comrades entering as skillfully late as Kakashi himself did. The sun light played in the tendrils of Sakura's soft pink hair. Her hair could have gotten longer but for one reason or another, she had since the defeat of Ocrochimaru kept it shoulder length. It probably had been because Thick Brows had made such a comment that he liked her hair better that way… although Naruto, himself, had made such a comment too.
 
But, even if she had grown into a more slender and beautiful young lady than Naruto himself could invent up, Naruto had long since given up hope on her returning affection. Perhaps his feelings changed during the chuunin examinations. Or maybe they had disappeared because of just spending far too much time with her during missions. But Naruto knew, most likely, it was because of Sasuke.
 
Naruto shared a small smirk with his fellow male comrade. Even after what happened to them- after what with Ocrochimaru did to pit the two of them against each other, Naruto still felt closest to Sasuke than to anyone else on his team. Or to any other shinobi his age.
 
The raven haired boy had several similar circumstances in life that Naruto, himself, suffered through. They were both young orphans growing up in a village that saw them differently. Naruto was ignored just as much as Sasuke was praised. As much as Naruto wanted attention, Sasuke despised it.
 
It was these negatives, dark and light, night and day, black and white, that spurred their rivalry and increased their admiration for each other.
 
It was only a short time ago, that they had intended to kill one another.
 
Nowadays, they were as close as brothers. The irony of this never ceased to amaze anyone who knew it.
 
Even Sakura sometimes wondered if it all had just been a dream and that the next day she'd wake up to Sasuke's absence. She had scarcely dared to believe it when Naruto had managed to at last convince Sasuke to return to the Leaf.
 
Sakura still couldn't find the right way to thank Naruto- but for some reason, Sakura knew Naruto would had done so even without her request. Naruto was just like that.
 
Even when he knew Sakura liked Sasuke over him- Naruto never stopped helping her. His understanding was remarkable for someone like- well, like Naruto.
 
Naruto strode over to his companions completing their Team Seven at last. Kakashi nodded with approval and all of them, the two genin and one chuunin, took their seats on the grassy training field.
 
Kakashi hadn't yet informed them of the mission's details. And while it was just a simple low class mission, background information was always essential for success.
 
“Alright then,” Kakashi began by loudly clearing his throat. His former students looked on anxiously, perhaps not as much as they would have if it were a class B or even C mission, but anxiously enough. It had been their first mission in a month, the group, especially those male genin, were getting restless for action.
 
“Naruto,” Naruto straightened up when Kakashi addressed him. “I have a message for you.”
 
“A message?” repeated Naruto dully.
 
“That's not our mission, is it?” snapped Sasuke unable to hide the irritation from his voice.
 
“No, no,” Kakashi waved as if pushing Sasuke's suggestion aside, “It's from Jiraiya-san.”
 
“Ero-sennin?” Naruto asked again, looking puzzled. He hadn't seen his former master for a few months now. Jiraiya had left with a wink and offhanded comment about his upcoming pervert novel without much sign of returning soon. To hear from him was a surprise, indeed.
 
Kakashi raised his eyebrows at the nickname but said nothing. Instead he continued, “Jiraiya will be back in Konoha in a few days. He hopes to come and take you with him on his next escapade.”
 
Sasuke and Sakura both looked at Naruto with certain disappointment. With Naruto gone- their Team would not be able to go on many missions of higher class due to lack in numbers. This wasn't the first time Jiraiya had done this to them, and it was causing them to develop a sort of grudge.
 
Naruto, on the other hand, was beaming. That was until Kakashi completed the message, “He mentioned something about a… jutsu… I'm not sure. A sexy-no-jutsu?”
 
Sasuke and Kakashi looked at Naruto with puzzlement. The frown on Naruto's face was enough to indicate that he knew what his master was talking about.
 
Naruto growled inwardly and rubbed his head. It was certainly predictable of his perverted sensei. He probably wanted him to act out a scene for his novel or something… the man was hentai if there ever was one.
 
“Typical,” Sakura grumbled under her breath.
 
Naruto's blue eyes widened as he glanced over at the pink haired girl. He had forgotten that she, herself, had caught Naruto using the jutsu before. Without meaning to, Naruto blushed.
 
He had found he was a bit more embarrassed of his older tricks nowadays. Age brought a sort of reasoning and wisdom to the young shinobi. Naruto now knew why so many of his teachers and even the third Hokage himself fell victim to such a jutsu. It was a powerful thing indeed.
 
“Anyway,” continued Kakashi when it was clear Naruto wasn't going to reiterate. “Our mission today is at the town of Hante in the outskirts of Leaf territory.”
 
Kakashi ignored their bewildered looks. Before today, none of them have ever heard of such a town, and for good reason too.
 
“There was recently an incident where two young boys accidentally came upon an abandoned shinobi training ground. Due to the ramifications of such an incident, it's only logical that the people of Hante would like to have the seals on the ground permanently removed.”
 
“What happened to the boys?” Naruto beat Sakura to the question.
 
While it couldn't be said if Kakashi was frowning, his mask prevented others from discerning such things, his eyes certainly took on a sadder note.
 
“They were… not shinobi. Clearly, you can figure it out yourselves,” said Kakashi at long last.
 
The two genin and one chuunin winced. It was Sasuke who spoke next. “I don't understand.”
 
“What's that, Sasuke?”
 
“Why are we going out to remove a seal? That's not even a mission- one ninja could do that without trouble.”
 
“True,” Kakashi nodded, while scratching his upper lip- or where his upper lip might be. “But I requested that we take it on as such.”
 
Kakashi's team looked no less bewildered.
 
“The cave, where the seals are buried, were once an Shinobi trial ground. Due to descriptions given- it was quite an elaborate one too,” said Kakashi with a certain admiration in his voice. “It would be a shame to have to remove the seals without giving it one last test run.”
 
To this, excitement began to rush through Naruto's veins. “What kind of trials will they be, Kakashi-sensei?!!”
 
Kakashi merely chuckled at Naruto's enthusiasm, “They are fairly simple charades- but it should prove a nice fun house for you to romp around in, Naruto.”
 
Naruto grinned and thrust his pointer finger to Sasuke. “I shall get through the trial before you can, Sasuke!”
 
Sasuke, caught only momentarily off guard, quickly returned the grin. “Sure, dobe. Like hell you will.”
 
Sakura just smiled up at Kakashi, catching his eye knowledgably. It was good to have them like this again. They never regretted a moment of it- cause they already saw what happened when it wasn't there. And without it, Konoha was quite a gloomy place.
 
“Well, we better get going,” Kakashi announced.
 
The two young shinobi stopped quarrelling immediately at the sound of his voice. Just before Kakashi started to lead the way, he cast a look over his shoulder.
 
“Sasuke,” Kakashi said.
 
Sasuke blinked.
 
“No sharingan,” Kakashi's eyes twinkled at Naruto's teasing smirk, “At least give Naruto a chance to beat you.”
 
Naruto's smirk quickly transferred to Sasuke's face. His sour expression didn't lessen until they were well outside Konoha.
 
The weather was quite pleasant today.
 
“Kakashi-sensei?” Sakura asked suddenly, keeping pace with Kakashi's weaving in and through the brambles of treetops.
 
“Em?” came the response.
 
“How come I've never heard of Hante before? Do they ask for missions often?”
 
There was a slight pause before Kakashi's words reached back to them. “No. They never ask for any help from the Shinobi.”
 
“Why is that, sensei?” Naruto chimed, dodging a low branch.
 
“They… don't like us very much,” Kakashi seemed almost amused, “You'll see what I mean when we get there.”
 
The group exchanged curious glances. But for the rest of the way, they kept their questions to themselves.
 
To Be Continued…
Please R & R!
 
Dude. I finished this sooner than I thought. No review responses just because I post this earlier than I intended. There aren't enough reviews to really do responses anyway.
 
Thank you to those who did review though, bloodstained-years, Delauney, Valerie, Eyes-of-Truth, and MarshmellowDragon. I promise I shall respond to your reviews next chapter.
 
Thank you for reading. Now please review. Your patronage is much appreciated.