Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Colors of Life and Death ❯ Old Friends ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Radioplay news: Part two of chapter one is complete! Check it out! Again, the link is in my profile. And please please, review. I want my voice actors to feel appreciated. Doujinshi news: We have a new manga artist! Her name is Nightwater-Dragon and she's awesome!! If you go to the main entrance and look under doujinshi you will find the first four pages posted. YAY! I think that's it. Enjoy this chapter that is 34 and remember, reviews make my day!



Naruto wasn't sure exactly what he was feeling, but he knew that devastated covered at least one aspect of it. He'd finally been free of his curse, and it had only lasted for just over a blissful month and a half. He angrily entered the containment area. "What the HELL are you doing here?-!" he shouted, jabbing a finger in the direction of the cell. Kyuubi cocked an eyebrow. "Well, if that's how you're going to greet someone who's only here to help, then maybe I should leave." "Since when the hell do you willingly help me? And aren't you supposed to be dead?-!" Kyuubi chuckled and stepped into the minimal light of the room. "I am." Naruto's face twisted into confusion at the sight before his eyes. Kyuubi's body was semi-transparent, barely there, like... like a ghost. "AHHHHHHHH! You're a ghost!!! Get the hell away from me!" Kyuubi rolled his eyes and smacked his paw onto his forehead. "Mortals." He phased through the bars of his former prison and 'sat down', hovering a few inches off the ground. "Calm down, Brat. I don't have time for your idiocy." "I will NOT calm down! You...." something clicked in Naruto's mind, "you came out of your cage...." Silence. Silence. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Kyuubi growled and slammed a massive paw down over Naruto, pinning him to the ground. "SILENCE!! I am beginning to regret coming here. Now shut up before I gut you like a fish!" Naruto was instantly silent. "That's better. Now, as I was trying to explain before I was so rudely interrupted, I am here to help you. Although I'm honestly starting to think I'm insane for doing this." He felt Naruto's body relax and decided it was safe to release him. Naruto slowly got to his feet. "How?" "How, what, Brat?" "How are you here when you're, dead?" Kyuubi gave Naruto a bemused smirk. "Hmph. Mortals think in such limited ways. Just because I have lost my hold on my physical body in your realm, does not mean the same has happened in mine." "Huh?" Kyuubi heaved a great sigh in an attempt to quell his growing desire to strangle the child in front of him. "Listen carefully, because I refuse to repeat myself. Youma are very different from other forms of life. Our true form cannot exist in your world. The air is like poison to us. Therefore, we are born with, in essence, two bodies. The one humans normally see is an outer shell made to protect our true, non-corporeal form. If the outer body is destroyed we do 'die' in this realm, but we are perfectly fine in our own." He paused for a moment. "Do you understand?" "I...think so. But...if the air here is poisonous to you, then how can you be here?" Kyuubi growled and balled his paws into semi-fists. "Auuuuugh! I swear, Child! You are thicker than a...." He stopped himself and let out a calming breath through his teeth. "Look around you," he said slowly. "Where are we?" "The seal?" "And is there air from your world inside the seal?" Naruto considered this for a moment. "No...." He paused. "So...you can only come here because there's no air in the seal?" Kyuubi sighed in relief. "Yes. Alright, now that we've gotten that sorted out, let's get to the matter at hand." "And what's that?" "Well, believe it or not, during the last few years of the time I spent here I began to respect you." Naruto's eyebrows went up, but he stayed quiet. "In fact, it completely perplexes me how someone like you can come up with such brilliant battle strategies and yet not be able to grasp concepts that are much simpler by comparison." Naruto glared at Kyuubi then sighed. "I don't know...." Kyuubi was taken aback. He had expected the child to yell at him in defiance. "Could he actually be maturing?" "It's just...when I'm in a battle everything seems...clear. It's like it helps me focus. Does that make any sense?" "Hmm. Actually...it does. It makes a lot of sense. An unusually insightful observation...coming from you," Kyuubi finished with a smirk. "And it's something I think I can use to help him," he thought. "Gee, thanks," Naruto grumbled. "At any rate, we're getting off topic. I witnessed your... problem with your new chakra today. And I decided I wished to help." "Why?" "You don't know how rare a human you are, boy. You've kept going when even one of your revered Hokages would have given up long ago. That, alone, is enough to earn my respect." Naruto's mouth slowly curled into a smile. "Thanks." Kyuubi smiled as well. "Now listen closely, as we have a lot to do and not much time to do it in." "Why not?" "Coming here through such a means takes up a lot of energy, so I can't do it for long." "Oh. How long can you stay?" "Three days...a week at most." "Okay." "First things first. Lets work on your healing powers."




Sasuke frowned as he trudged along behind TenTen, silently wondering why he had agreed to go with her. "This better be worth my time. I need to train." "Don't be such a stick in the mud," TenTen called behind her. The two arrived at TenTen's private training area in her back yard. She walked over to a storage shed with a huge sign on it that read: TenTen's stuff. Touch it and die. Sasuke raised an eyebrow as TenTen went inside and decided it would be best if he wait for her in the yard. After a few moments of clanking sounds she emerged cradling a cloth-wrapped bundle. "What's that?" TenTen grinned. "My new shinies." She unwrapped the fabric to reveal an ornate box that looked like it had a shell made of pure onyx. She set the box onto a stump and opened it. Sasuke had never seen a more magnificent set of kunai in his life. They were all as black as the box they lay in. Silver-plated dragons carved into them wound around the handles. The blades were sharp, so sharp that Sasuke dared not touch the edge to test them. "These are...." TenTen smiled. "I knew you'd like to see them." She picked one up and marveled at the craftsmanship. "I've been saving for these for an entire year. The metal has been folded thirty times and has a heat treated edge!" she said with the tone of a mother talking about a favored child. Sasuke made a small snort and TenTen turned to him, eyes wide. "Did...did you just laugh?" Sasuke suddenly looked uncomfortable. "No." TenTen's eyes were positively gleeful. "Yes you did!" Sasuke's eyes narrowed dangerously. "No...I didn't." "You did too!" TenTen laughed lightly. "Wait till I tell Neji! He'll never believe it!" She suddenly found herself pinned to a tree by Sasuke's arm against her neck. "What the hell is the matter with you?-!" TenTen choked out. "Listen very carefully..." Sasuke said in a low voice that sent chills down TenTen's spine. " I...don't...laugh." TenTen gritted her teeth and shoved him backwards. "You got a real problem, you know that? Get the hell out of my yard!" "I'm already gone," Sasuke growled before stalking off. TenTen's mother came out of the house. "TenTen, are you alright? I heard yelling." "I'm fine." TenTen grumbled. Her face softened when she noticed her mother was in her jounin uniform. "Are you going on a mission?" "Nhm. I was just about to leave in fact. Are you sure there's nothing you want to talk about?" "Hai." TenTen gave her mother a hug. "Good luck on your mission. Be safe." TenTen's mother smiled. "I'll be fine." She kissed the top of her daughter's head. "See you later." "Ja, Kaa-san!" TenTen said with a wave. Once her mother was out of sight she plopped down to the ground with a sigh. "And here I thought I finally had a friend who understood me."




Sakura turned her head to look at him as Sasuke stormed past her. "Sasuke-kun?" "Leave me alone, Sakura," Sasuke said through gritted teeth. "What happened?" Sakura said as she grabbed his shoulder. Sasuke rounded on her. " I said, leave me alone!" He turned and ran towards his apartment. "Hmm. I better tell Naruto."




Sakura saw Hinata heading toward Naruto's estate and ran to catch up with her. "Hey, Hinata!" Hinata turned around and smiled. "Sakura-chan." "Are you going to see Naruto?" "Hai." "Mind if I tag along?" "Of course not." "Have you seen his new chakra yet?" Sakura asked as she fell into step with her friend. Hinata shook her head. "No. In fact, I'm going to ask him to show me." "I just ran into Sasuke-kun. He was really ticked off about something. I thought maybe Naruto could calm him down before he does something stupid." Hinata let out a soft giggle.




Sakura and Hinata saw Naruto standing out in the middle of the training field, apparently just staring into space. "Naruto-kun!" Hinata called. She didn't get a response and frowned. "Maybe he didn't hear you," Sakura said with a reassuring smile. "Shannaro! That idiot better not make Hinata worry again," inner Sakura raged. "OI, NARUTO!!" Again, no response. Now she frowned and both girls ran up to him. They came to a stop. "Naruto-kun? Are you okay?" Hinata bit her lip when he still didn't say anything. "Naruto-kun?" She changed her position so she could see his face. A small gasp escaped her lips. "Hinata, what is it?" She gasped as well when she saw that Naruto's eyes looked like they had absolutely no life in them. "Naruto-kun!" She began shaking him gently. "Naruto-kun?-! Wake up!" "Naruto-kun!" Hinata yelled. She turned to Sakura with a look of desperation and both girls gently laid him down. Hinata immediately began checking his vitals. "I don't understand it. His pulse is normal, his breathing is fine, and he doesn't have a temperature." "What about wounds?" Hinata looked him over. "No." "What the hell?"




Naruto looked up from his meditation when he heard voices coming from the outside. "Sakura-chan? Hina-chan?" "Damn annoying females! They would interrupt when you've almost got it," Kyuubi complained with a snarl. "I better let them know I'm okay. I'll be back later," Naruto replied as he stood up. "Do it quickly. I'll conserve energy while you're gone," Kyuubi said as he shrunk down to the size of a small dog. Naruto started to snicker. "What?-!" Kyuubi growled. "You're Chibi-Kyuubi!" Naruto said. "Shut the hell up, Brat! Besides, your friends are on the verge of all out panic." "Oh right." Naruto stopped laughing and closed his eyes.




"Naruto-kun?" Hinata said when she noticed him looking at her. "Hina-chan, what are you doing here?" Naruto replied as he sat up. Sakura smacked him upside the head. "Looking for you, baka!" "Why were you guys freaking out?" Sakura's eye twitched. "Because you wouldn't answer us and you looked like you were in a freaking coma!" Naruto blinked rapidly. "Really?" Hinata nodded solemnly. Naruto rubbed the back of his neck. "Wow. I'm sorry, guys. I...had no idea I looked like that from the outside." "Were you in the seal?" Sakura asked. "Yeah. I was...talking to Kyuubi," Naruto replied with a swallow. "What?-!" Hinata exclaimed. "I thought he was dead." "He was-- is...it's hard to explain." Sakura folded her arms. "Try me." Naruto sighed. "Okay...."




"So he can only stay a week?" Hinata asked. Naruto nodded. "Nhm. Hopefully he can teach me what I need to know before then." "And just what does he want to teach you?" Sakura asked with suspicion. "Nothing bad. Just how to heal myself and stuff." "Are you sure you can trust him, Naruto-kun?" Hinata asked. "I think so. I mean, he really doesn't have any powers in this world anymore." Sakura frowned. "Mind if I talk to him?" "Um, I don't think that's a good idea. He's kinda grumpy," Naruto replied. Sakura frowned. "Besides, you remember what happened the last time you went into my mind." "But you'd be there with me, so I'd be safe, right?" "I'm sorry, Sakura-chan. I just don't think it's a good idea," Naruto said firmly. Sakura sighed in defeat. "Okay. Just be careful, alright?" "You got it," Naruto said with a grin. "So what's up?" "I was wondering if I could see your new chakra," Hinata asked. Naruto blushed a little. "Sorry, Baa-chan said I can't until she talks to Jiraiya." His face fell. "She also told me I'm off the duty roster until then." "Ouch," Sakura said out of sympathy. "Neh, can you talk to Sasuke-kun?" "Why?" Naruto asked as he flicked some dirt off his pants. "He's really angry about something and you're the only one who can get him to listen." "Okay. Later though. I gotta train with the Baka Kitsune." "Oh, before I forget, my Mom wanted you to come to dinner. I was supposed to have you come over yesterday, but I kind of blanked," Sakura said with a blush. "Your mom? But I thought she hated me." "No, she was just afraid of you. But that was before she knew more about the seal. She wants to apologize," Sakura said with a smile. Naruto smiled as well. "What time?" "Six-o-clock tomorrow. Don't be late." "Osu!" Naruto said with a salute. Hinata giggled. "I'll let you get back to training, Naruto-kun." Naruto gently lifted her chin upwards and kissed her. "Don't be away too long." "Awwww! You two are so cute!!" Sakura gushed. "Shut up!" Naruto said with a half smile/half grimace. Sakura laughed and the two girls walked away. Naruto went back inside the seal. "Okay, let's get back to work."




Tomoyo and Kakashi sat at opposite sides of her coffee table playing Go. She stopped in the middle of placing a piece and stared at him. Kakashi noticed her stare. "What?" Tomoyo blinked rapidly. "Sorry...." She tucked some of her hair behind her right ear and turn away a bit. "Kakashi-kun? Do you...still have any feelings for me?" Kakashi's face showed his surprise. He considered for a moment before speaking. "I think so." A small smile crept over Tomoyo's face. "I'm glad." "Care to give it another go?" Kakashi asked with a playful smile. Tomoyo grinned. "I'd like that."




"Trust me, Baa...Kaa-san. He's only trying to help me," Naruto insisted to Tsunade's scowling face. Tsunade sighed in defeat. "Alright. Show me what you've got." Naruto smirked and made a triumphant hmm-ing sound. He took a kunai from his holster. "Now, don't panic." "What do you m....?" Tsunade began, her words stopping short when Naruto sliced across is left forearm. Tsunade made a horrified sound. "Have you lost it?-!" she yelled as she snatched the weapon away from her son. She began the seals for her healing jutsu when she felt a hand on her arm. "Don't..." Naruto said through gritted teeth. "I can handle it." Tsunade reluctantly took a step back. "You've got thirty seconds!" Naruto began to concentrate and his doujutsu activated. (("Pour your chakra into the wound. It will react with the damaged tissue naturally.)) Naruto remembered the Kyuubi's words. Sweat began to bead on his forehead as the huge cut was filled with the niji chakra. Slowly, it began to close. Tsunade's breath caught in her throat as she watched Naruto's progress. "C'mon, Naruto." As the last traces of the wound sealed over the glow of Naruto's chakra began to fade. Finally, there was no indication that his arm had ever been damaged. Breathing just a little heavy, he looked up from his work and grinned at his mother. "Good job, Kiddo. I'm impressed," Tsunade said with an approving smile. "Thanks!" "But, next time you want to show someone your healing abilities, make a small cut?" Naruto scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, I guess I overdid it." Tsunade let out a short laugh. "You usually do." "Tsunade-sama, Naruto-sama! Dinner is ready!" came Izumi's voice from the dining room. "Yosh! I'm starved!" Tsunade chuckled and they walked inside the house.

.........TO BE CONTINUED


Aren't I nice? No cliffy this time. Lol.