Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
Glad people seem to enjoy this even though it's a bit different to my usual.
 
Chapter 2
 
 
Kakashi watched Iruka as he slept. They'd made it out without too much difficulty although Iruka had killed a ninja who had had the bad luck to stumble across them while they were waiting to make their move on the gate. The way he had calmly killed the man had been a little disturbing considering they had been comrades just that morning but it had been necessary. He just hoped Iruka could deal with everything he had been through once he was in a more relaxed atmosphere. Or would he handle it like Anko did? He shuddered a little at that thought, one Anko was enough.
 
Iruka suddenly blinked and stretched, looking around to check their surroundings.
 
“How long did I sleep?”
 
“Not long, you can get some more if you want.” Kakashi offered, seeing the younger man was still tired.
 
“No, we better move while that soldier pill is still working. I don't want to have to carry you all the way to Konoha.” Iruka stood and stretched carefully. He rubbed at his scar and then his hand drifted up to his Sound hitai-ate. Kakashi watched silently as Iruka pulled the cloth from his head and stared at the musical note etched into the metal plate. Then he slammed it into a nearby rock with chakra-increased strength, shattering the metal. He retied the cloth since it helped keep stray strands of hair out of his face and then offered Kakashi a hand up.
 
--------------------------
Iruka followed Kakashi towards the main gates of Konoha nervously. He didn't know how to feel about being back or what could be done to him. He knew that Kakashi could sense his nervousness but the older man remained silent, there wasn't anything he could say to make things better, Iruka's fate lay in the hands of the Council and Hokage.
 
“If you run I won't stop you.” Kakashi said suddenly, almost making Iruka jump. Instead he turned to Kakashi, eyes wide with shock. Even Kakashi was surprised by his words but he owed Iruka his life and he didn't want to see him killed, which was a possibility if he stepped through the gates. He knew Iruka wouldn't go back to Sound if allowed to run, he had a feeling the younger man would run as far as he could and then settle down in a civilian village and give up the shinobi life.
 
“No.” Kakashi blinked at the strength behind that one word.
“I won't run.” Iruka stated firmly, head up and back straight instead of the almost half huddled posture Kakashi had gotten used to seeing. He nodded and they stopped so Iruka could hand over his weapons. They'd both changed out of the Sound uniforms once within Fire Country's borders but Iruka had remained armed in case searchers caught up to them. But he would enter Konoha unarmed although Kakashi had not offered to bind him since Iruka was there of his own free will.
 
“Hopefully I can get us straight in to see the Hokage.” Kakashi told him and Iruka nodded. The Konoha-nin didn't comment as their pace slowed, Iruka was taking the time to look around a place he had once called home, a place he hadn't seen in eleven years. Kakashi made sure they were side by side when they reached the gates.
 
“Hatake-san.” One of the guards said in surprise.
 
“I need to see the Hokage immediately.” He stated as he handed over his id that Iruka had somehow managed to retrieve for him.
 
“Of course. Your companion.” The guards were eyeing Iruka and his obvious uniform, especially his now simple cloth hitai-ate.
 
“He has information for the Hokage's ears only. He's unarmed and I'll vouch for him.” The guards looked at each other, unsure before eventually agreeing and allowing them through. Iruka immediately relaxed a little once inside the village, again staring around him in wonder.
“Come on.” Kakashi said gently, leading Iruka onto the rooftops.
 
-------------------------
Sarutobi looked up as two ninja dropped into his office from the open window. He was relieved to see Kakashi home safely if a little the worse for wear. His attention went to the second man and his pipe slipped from his hands.
 
“Iruka?” He asked in disbelief and hope, standing to walk out from behind his desk and take a better look at the young man.
 
“Hai Hokage-sama.” Was the quiet response even as Iruka stared at the floor, unable to meet the old Hokage's eyes in shame. He started as a gentle hand raised tipped his chin up.
 
“I had all but given up hope child. Welcome home.” Iruka just stared in bewilderment until Kakashi gently pushed him down into a chair even as Sandaime retook his seat behind the desk.
“I have a feeling your report will be very interesting Kakashi.”
 
“The most disturbing part of what I learned is that Orochimaru is with Sound.” Kakashi's eye flickered to Iruka briefly.
 
“No.” Iruka said abruptly, making both older men look at him.
“Orochimaru created Sound. He's named himself Kage.” He explained. Kakashi nodded at the correction and continued his report. He ended with a description of their escape and flight to Konoha. Sarutobi couldn't hide how much the information disturbed him but nodded when Kakashi finished.
 
“Report to the hospital, Iruka and I will join you shortly.” Kakashi nodded and stood to leave but paused to give Iruka's shoulder an encouraging squeeze on his way out. Iruka managed a weak smile in response.
“Come Iruka.” The Sandaime led him to the hidden rooms behind his office, the rooms where he had once played with a blue-eyes baby. He smiled at the memories.
“Naruto has grown into a fine boy. He's taken your old position as Academy prankster. He'll be taking the exam for the third time later this year.” Sarutobi commented, correctly interpreting Iruka's smile.
 
“I missed him. He wouldn't even remember me now.” He said sadly.
 
“His memory is amazing actually. He saw your photo and was curious as to why he could vaguely remember seeing you before.” Iruka could only stare in shock, Naruto had remembered him?
“I told him that you used to look after him but that you had to leave the village and would one day be back. He asks about you on the same day every year.”
 
“I'm so sorry.” Iruka whispered, looking down. Sarutobi placed his hands on Iruka's shoulders causing him to slowly raise his head again.
 
“You were still a child Iruka and you were taught to always obey your sensei. If anyone should be sorry it is me for placing you with him.”
 
“But Anko…she died because I didn't help her. I wanted to but he pulled me away.” Iruka confessed.
 
“Iruka-kun, Anko is alive.” Iruka's eyes widened in shock.
 
“What?”
 
“She survived the seal and one of our teams found her in the lab. She is a jounin now.” He explained to the shocked young man.
 
“She must hate me.” Iruka said sadly.
 
“No, she is angry at herself fro being unable to keep Orochimaru from taking you. You were never declared missing because it was believed you were dead.” Sarutobi explained and then frowned. He hated to ask but it needed to be dealt with and quickly for everyone's safety.
“Do you have the seal Iruka?” He dreaded the answer but to his surprise Iruka shook his head, pulling his shirt down to reveal unmarked skin.
 
“It still isn't perfected to his satisfaction. He said he wanted nothing less than perfect for his favourite student.” Iruka said hoarsely, swallowing hard.
“He made me study it, maybe I can do something for her.”
 
“Just seeing you will help I'm sure.”
 
“There's no way I can just come ho, back. I've been a Sound-nin for the last three years, Orochimaru's apprentice.” Iruka said almost desperately.
 
“And I dread thinking about what you have been through. As much as I wish it wasn't necessary you will have to be questioned.”
 
“I expected no less Hokage-sama.” Iruka assured him. Sarutobi smiled at him.
 
“I believe you have truly come home Iruka, I don't believe you were sent here as a spy.” He assured the younger ninja.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Come, we need to have you examined by a doctor. I will stay with you during your questioning, Ibiki is sometimes too enthusiastic in his work.”
 
“Morino Ibiki?”
 
“The same.”
 
“I always knew he'd make a good interrogator.” Iruka said with a small smile.
 
“One of the best.” Sarutobi agreed.
 
--------------------------------
Iruka sat very still in the chair he'd been restrained in, watching as Ibiki got everything ready. Sandaime had made it very clear that he wasn't to be treated roughly since he had returned of his own free will and had agreed to the questioning without complaint. The old Hokage was seated against the wall, directly within Iruka's line of sight for which he was grateful since it was helping him stay calm. His sensei's training did have some benefits; he could sit perfectly still longer than even most other shinobi. He tensed slightly as the door behind him opened and the Hokage nodded at someone in greeting. A gloved hand rested briefly on his shoulder and he relaxed, recognising Kakashi just from that small touch. Sure enough the older man moved into sight, freshly showered and in a clean uniform. Iruka too had been allowed to shower first, using hot water for the first time since leaving Konoha. Orochimaru didn't care much about creature comforts, at least for others. His skin was still slightly red from the heat but it had been worth it to feel truly clean and warm. He'd been given the standard dark blue clothes that made up a chuunin's uniform though minus the vest, the same as his old uniform just in Konoha's colours instead of Sound's.
 
“I' ready to begin Hokage-sama.” Ibiki stated suddenly. Kakashi leant against the wall beside the Hokage and made eye contact with Iruka who gave him a small but grateful smile.
 
“Are you ready Iruka?”
 
“Hai Hokage-sama.” Iruka licked his lips nervously and then a cup was suddenly in front of him.
 
“Truth serum.” Ibiki informed him and Iruka nodded, taking a deep breath before opening his mouth and swallowing the liquid that was poured in. Since he was cooperating he hadn't been given the type that had to be injected for which he was grateful. No truth serum was pleasant but the injected ones were the worst. He swallowed and waited for the serum to kick in. Orochimaru had trained him to resist most serums and to have a certain amount of immunity to many poisons but Iruka forced himself to let this one work as it was meant to. He knew he could throw off the effects if he had to and that helped him relax and not fight it. He blinked slowly as the world slowly became distant and blurred.
“He's ready.” He heard Ibiki say as if from a great distance.
 
“Proceed.” The Hokage said and Ibiki nodded.
 
“What is your name?”
 
“Umino Iruka.” He answered dully.
 
“Age?”
 
“Twenty six.”
 
“Where have you been for the last eleven years?”
 
“Travelling for eight, he never told me where we were. Rice Country, Sound Village for three.”
 
“You never left the village?”
 
“No, Orochimaru didn't let me leave. Had free reign in village but not allowed outside the walls. Didn't want to loose his apprentice.” Sarutobi closed his eyes at Iruka's tone; this young man was not the exuberant, playful young teen he'd once known.
 
“Did you ever try to leave?”
 
“After Anko I ran but he caught me, dragged me back, punished me.”
 
“Punished how?” Iruka shuddered and swallowed as if fighting the serum.
 
“It's okay Iruka, he can't hurt you anymore but we need to know.” Sandaime spoke up and Iruka relaxed.
 
“Whipped, scars on my back.” Kakashi winced, he'd been what? Fifteen? Who whips a fifteen year old let alone their own student?
 
“Did you ever try to leave again?”
 
“Couldn't. Drugged or chained when not training. Hurt so much.” Iruka whimpered and tried to curl up but started to struggle when the restraints stopped him, not really aware of what was going on. Kakashi moved to his side and cupped his face.
 
“Calm down Iruka, you know where you are. You're in Konoha. The drugs are making the memories feel real but you're no there. Just relax.” He soothed and Iruka slowly relaxed again, brown eyes trying to focus on Kakashi but failing.
“That's is Iruka, you're safe.” Instead of returning to his place against the wall he stood beside Iruka, gripping his hand.
 
“When did the drugs stop?” Ibiki continued once Iruka was calm again.
 
“When I gave up.” Iruka whispered brokenly and Kakashi remembered the look in his eyes that day at the cell.
“Didn't care anymore. Stopped chaining me too but I didn't try to leave. Where would I go? No one wants me.” He stated as if repeating something he'd been made to memorise. Kakashi squeezed his hand.
 
“Why create Sound?”
 
“Still mad at Sandaime because of Yondaime and for stopping the experiments. Founded Sound, named himself Kage. Gathered missing-nin and people nobody wanted, trained them.” Iruka shocked them by suddenly smiling.
“He let me teach at the Academy when children started arriving. I always wanted to teach at the Academy one day. Had to teach what he wanted though but I tried to teach them what I'd been taught too. They were so eager. But then they'd graduate and change after that, especially if they got the seal. They rely on it, lose their humanity. I hate myself! Should have stopped it!” Iruka was yelling and sobbing, trying to scratch at his wrists. The three ninja exchanged looks before Kakashi knelt and rolled Iruka's sleeve up, staring at the skin intently. There, so feint they almost couldn't be seen were a series of fine scars. Obviously he had had the best medical care afterwards for them to heal so well that their own medics had missed them.
 
“You tried to kill yourself.” Kakashi stated in shock and Sarutobi shut his eyes in pain. He should never have assigned Iruka to Orochimaru but he had hoped the team would cement the sannin's ties to Konoha. Instead three promising teens had been destroyed. Anko was no longer entirely sane, Nori was dead and Iruka…Iruka had had eleven years of hell.
 
“Slit my wrists. Stupid Kabuto healed me. Said Orochimaru-sama would be unhappy if all his work went to waste because I died.” The `sama' was spat out but it was the name that caught their attention.
 
“Describe Kabuto.”
 
“Late teens, grey hair in a ponytail. Annoying glasses he's always pushing up his nose. Disappears all the time but sensei trusts him, says he's important.” A spy in Konoha would be considered important.
“He resented the attention I got as sensei's apprentice. Could have it for all I cared. So lonely, don't want to be alone anymore.”
 
“That's enough, give him the antidote.” Sarutobi ordered.
 
“One more question please sir.” Sandaime stared at Ibiki before nodding.
“Why did you return to Konoha?”
 
“Had to get Hatake out. Sensei wants the sharingan badly, was going to transfer to him, use his body. Couldn't let him. He knew my name; said Sandaime missed me, that I wasn't listed as a traitor. He saw me, not Orochimaru's precious student. Talked to me even knowing that. Woke me up, made me care again. Told him to run if we were spotted, he needed soldier pills to even move, I'd buy him the time to escape. Remembered Naruto, missed him so much. I just wanted to come home.” Iruka was crying again, rambling but still barely understandable.
 
“That's enough Ibiki.” The man nodded and administered the antidote. Iruka's eyes cleared and he looked down at the floor in shame. Kakashi undid the restraints and then got him some water and tissues.
 
“You have nothing to be ashamed of Iruka. That you survived so long is a miracle. I'm satisfied; there will be no more interrogation. For now you will remain in the rooms behind my office until we can find a way to bring you back to life. You may choose three people outside those here who will be allowed to see you.” Iruka stared at the Hokage in shock.
 
“I can come home?” He asked, unsure.
 
“You are home Iruka-kun.” Sarutobi assured him. Iruka swallowed and thought about it for all of two seconds.
 
“Anko and Naruto.”
 
“Very well, I'll call them in tomorrow. For now you need rest, both of you. And I don't think a hot meal would go astray either.”
 
TBC…