Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
I've never written Anko before or seen a lot of her so sorry if she ends up OOC or anything.
 
Chapter 3
 
 
“There something you need Hokage-sama?”
 
“Please sit Anko.” She eyed him but sat down in front of his desk.
“Some information has come to light regarding your old genin team-mate.” He started and she paled slightly.
 
“You found…his body?” She asked quietly. She'd always half hoped that he had survived their sensei's perverse experiments but if he had they could only meet as enemies.
 
“No. He is very much alive although different from the boy we knew. He is lucky in a way since he escaped your fate.” He indicated her neck and her hand moved towards the seal.
 
“He doesn't have the seal?” She asked in disbelief and Sarutobi nodded.
 
“Apparently Orochimaru wanted to perfect it before using it on Iruka.”
 
“Wait…he's here? In Konoha?” She asked in shock.
 
“Yes.”
 
“In a cell right? Who caught him? Where? There's no way he came back on his own. He's been with sensei for eleven years Hokage-sama, to last that long he has to be loyal to him.” She insisted even though it hurt to think of gentle, clumsy Iruka as a cold-hearted killer.
 
“Calm yourself Anko. He saved Kakashi's life at great risk to his own and brought him back here. He willing submitted to interrogation at Ibiki's hands. The things Orochimaru did to him…he crushed his spirit Anko, made him believe he had nowhere else to go. Something about Kakashi managed to spark his spirit again.”
 
“Where is he? I need to see him!” She demanded and Sandaime held up a hand.
 
“He asked for you after learning you were alive. He thought the seal killed you; it was the first time he tried to run away. Be careful, he's been through a lot and…he may not be entirely stable. He's ashamed and depressed at the moment but that could turn to anger.”
 
“I understand Hokage-sama. Can I see him now?” She asked impatiently. She had to see for herself, she'd know if he was lying she just knew that she'd be able to tell where his loyalties lay if she could just see him again.
 
“This way.” He led her to the hidden rooms and left her at a shut door. She slowly pushed it open and just stared at the man staring out the window. He'd grown since their genin days so that he wasn't much shorter than Kakashi. He was wearing an unadorned uniform and his hair was in its familiar ponytail.
 
“Ruka?” She called hesitantly, needing to see his eyes, to know that he still cared about anything other than Orochimaru. He spun, taking a half step towards her before freezing awkwardly, uncertainty clear on his face. Anko felt something inside relax as their eyes met, his brown eyes held no coldness or lust for power and blood. Instead she could see fear and hope in the chocolate depths.
 
“Anko-chan.” He breathed almost unable to believe his eyes.
“I almost didn't believe when they said you were alive. I…I'm sorry, so sorry. I should have stopped him.” Iruka looked down.
 
“How? We were kids Ruka, you did everything you could. He dragged you away by the hair! When I woke up in the hospital and you weren't there I figured you'd be next only there wouldn't be a passing Konoha team to find you in time. We all thought you were dead.” She told him.
 
“It would have been better if I was.” Iruka said bitterly and Anko moved, grabbing him in a fierce hug.
 
“Don't you dare say that Umino Iruka! You start believing that and he wins. You can't let him win, understand?” She shook him slightly and he eventually nodded.
 
“Hai Anko-chan.” He managed the ghost of a smile for her.
 
“I've missed you calling me that.”
 
“I missed you, even if all we did towards the end was fight.” Iruka admitted, sitting down on the couch and pulling Anko down beside him.
 
“We let him turn us against each other and it made it easier for him to use us. I'm just glad you're back. Do you know what'll happen to you now?”
 
“More questions, they need to know as much as they can about his plans. Sandaime's trying to think of a way to bring me back from the dead that won't end up with me being glared at suspiciously for the rest of my life. He's considering the truth but with the twist that I was a spy for Konoha.”
 
“Might work. Will you still be a ninja? What rank will you be given?”
 
“No clue.” He answered, finally beginning to truly relax and Anko smiled as she realised that.
 
“I hope you're a jounin with me, we could have a lot of fun.” She smirked, saddened to see that Iruka didn't really react to it. Their sensei had done a good job of beating him down but she was determined to bring the old Iruka back. She'd have to buy Kakashi a drink or twenty for somehow managing to reach through his apathy to the old Ruka.
 
“Promise me something?” He asked suddenly, breaking her from her thoughts and gripping her hand hard enough to bruise, brown eyes deadly serious.
“Whatever happens don't face him. He'll kill you and I…I couldn't bare it if you died at his hand.” Iruka finished fiercely, life finally burning in his eyes.
 
“Ruka…”
 
“Promise me! Please Anko.” He begged.
 
“I promise.” Iruka graced her with a smile, one that reached his eyes. He let her hand go and hesitantly pulled her close, hugging her and burying his head in her hair. Anko stiffened in surprise for a second before returning the hug. No one had done this since Iruka had left; no one really wanted to get that close to one of Orochimaru's students.
 
“Please don't let this be a dream.” He whispered brokenly, so softly she almost missed it and her arms tightened around him, trying to offer comfort.
 
------------------------------------
“I haven't done anything old man.” He smothered a chuckle at the first words out of the boys' mouth.
 
“I know you haven't Naruto.” He told the boy, pulling out a well-loved album.
 
“Oh. You have new pictures for nii-san's album?” Naruto grinned in excitement; he enjoyed the time they spent on the album.
 
“I thought you'd like to be the one to give it to him.” Sandaime said gently and Naruto froze, eyes going wide.
 
“He's back?” The boy asked quietly, unable to believe it.
 
“Iruka-kun is home Naruto.” Sarutobi assured him with a smile.
 
“Yay!” Naruto bounced around the room and Sarutobi smiled. Naruto had few reasons to be genuinely happy like this.
 
“You can see him in a few minutes but I need to tell you a few things first.” Naruto stilled at the serious tone.
 
“Is he hurt or something?” Naruto asked, worried.
 
“In a way. He did not leave Konoha by choice; his sensei took him away when he fled. No one honestly knew if he was dead or alive until he showed up with one of our jounin's yesterday. He betrayed his sensei to save the ninja's life. He's been through a lot Naruto, none of it good.” Sarutobi explained.
 
“So he's changed.” Naruto said, understanding what the Hokage was trying to tell him. He wasn't as dumb as he played; he knew that if he let people know they would pay attention to him of the wrong sort.
 
“A lot. But he missed you and has asked to see you. Only you, the ninja he rescued, Morino-san, his surviving genin team-mate and myself know he's here and it has to stay that way for a while.”
 
“I understand. Morino-san…you let him interrogate him?” Naruto glared, protective instincts in high gear, making Sarutobi hide a smile.
 
“Iruka agreed to the questioning Naruto-kun. Only truth serum was used.”
 
“You better be telling the truth old man.” Naruto was still glaring. Sarutobi handed him the album.
 
“You know the way.” Naruto nodded and moved into the hidden passage. He came to the door and raised his hand to knock but paused. He quickly straightened his clothes and made his sure his face was clean. He didn't really remember Iruka but he still wanted him to like him and be proud of him. Since Iruka had left only the old man had been there for him and he was always very busy. Taking a deep breath Naruto knocked, holding the album tightly. The door opened and he smiled.
 
Iruka looked down to see a short blonde smiling up at him, some sort of book clutched in his hands. He smiled down at the boy and let him inside.
 
“Naruto.” He said softly and suddenly the boy was hugging.
 
“You're back! I knew you'd come back.” The boy stated.
 
“I'm sorry I left you.”
 
“The old man said your sensei took you away so it's not your fault.” He suddenly thrust the book out to Iruka.
“This is for you. Old man Hokage and I made it for you…well he did it till I was old enough to help.” Iruka took the book and sat down, Naruto curling up beside him to his surprise. He forced himself not to tense up at the boys' presence and opened the book to see a picture of himself awkwardly holding a blonde baby boy. He smiled softly at the memory and slowly began turning the pages, watching as Naruto slowly grew. The only other person in the photos after Iruka left was the Hokage, where were Naruto's friends?
 
“You're at the Academy now?” He asked and Naruto nodded.
 
“Yep. This'll be my third try at passing the genin exam.” He admitted.
 
“Your third try?” Iruka asked, frowning slightly. Naruto shrugged.
 
“The instructors don't like me. They call me demon when they think I can't hear and never help me in class. But it's okay, I'll pass for sure this time!” Iruka felt a flash of anger at the teachers, Sandaime had made the law to give Naruto a chance but they still held him back.
 
“What about your friends?”
 
“Kiba skips class with me sometimes and Hinata shared her lunch with me when some older kids stole mine.” Naruto shrugged and Iruka closed his eyes. Even in Konoha Naruto had been as along as he had been in Sound. If Naruto failed a third time…he frowned at the thought but then he remembered another option, one he doubted the blonde knew about. The question was who? As much as he'd love to take the boy on himself he knew he wasn't ready plus he didn't want anyone else learning sensei's techniques. He wasn't sure who was around that would treat Naruto right. Maybe Anko? Surely she had learnt other methods since she had to have had another sensei to get to chuunin. Kakashi seemed like he might be a good option as well, Naruto could learn a lot from the famous copy-nin.
“Iruka-niisan?” Iruka focused back on the present and smiled at Naruto.
 
“Sorry, I got lost in thought…what did you call me?” He asked, puzzled.
 
“Niisan.” Iruka swallowed and looked down.
 
“You don't want me as your brother Naruto, you don't know…”
 
“And I don't care. You and Sandaime are the only people I've ever had. I was going to look for you myself but the old man said I should wait till I was a ninja so I could defend myself.” More like the Hokage had used it as an excuse to delay his search since if he had found them he'd be dead or worse. Iruka wondered what excuse the Hokage would have used once Naruto was a ninja.
 
“I've changed a lot Naruto, you might not like me anymore.” Iruka tried again.
 
“You're sad and quiet but you're still Iruka. Your sensei hurt you, didn't he” Naruto asked seriously.
 
“Yes.” Iruka answered softly and was surprised when Naruto hugged him again.
 
“Well he's never going to get the chance to hurt you again, I won't let him and neither will the old man. You'll be happy again one day niisan.” Iruka couldn't help but smile slightly at Naruto's optimism.
 
“I hope so Naruto-kun.” He hugged the boy back.
 
TBC…