Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Need help with the pairing. Should it be Iruka and Kakashi or Iruka and Anko? Please note that she will probably end up OOC, as I don't know a lot about her.
Any other pairing suggestions?
 
Chapter 6
 
 
“So who do you think you'll be getting sensei?” Naruto asked as they walked towards the Academy, two hours late.
 
“I know we're getting the Uchiha boy.” Kakashi said, watching Naruto's reaction from behind his book.
 
“Because of the sharingan?” Naruto asked and he nodded.
“Makes sense I guess. Do I have to be nice to him or can I prank him?” The blonde asked, a mischievous look in his eyes that Kakashi was happy to see. The teen had been subdued since finding out about being the kyuubi's container. The law hadn't said anything about writing the information down and leaving it somewhere Naruto would find it so he had done just that a few days ago. Better Naruto learn the truth from him than a half-truth from someone trying to use him.
 
“I suppose the occasional prank could be overlooked as long as you don't go too far.” He stated and Naruto grinned, already planning.
“Ready?”
 
“As I'll ever be.” Naruto answered and Kakashi opened the door. Naruto groaned silently. Uchiha and his number one fan girl. Sure he used to have a crush on her but he wasn't going to waste his time chasing someone who would never really see him.
 
“Naruto! What are you doing here?” Sakura screeched.
 
“Accompanying my sensei. I'll meet you on the roof.” He said, unable to deal with her just yet. Kakashi nodded and Naruto slipped out the window, walking up the wall to the roof. Once he was gone Kakashi turned to his two new students.
 
“Lets get something straight. You two may be my genin team but Naruto is my apprentice that means pinky that he has more training than you. I suggest you show him a little more respect if you want to stay on this team. Meet us on the roof.” With that he vanished.
“You okay?”
 
“What did I see in her?” Naruto asked in confusion and Kakashi laughed.
 
“Mostly hormones I'd say. So you're over her?”
 
“I hope so.”
 
“They're almost here.” Kakashi warned and Naruto nodded, sitting on the rail next to his sensei. The other two soon arrived and sat down.
“Now that we're all here we'll start with introductions.”
 
“You first sensei.” Naruto chirped and Kakashi looked at him.
 
“Fine. My name is Hatake Kakashi; you don't need to know my likes or dreams. I dislike several things and have a number of hobbies.” Naruto shook his head in amusement, grinning at the look on Sakura's face.
“Naruto?”
 
“Uzumaki Naruto. My hobbies are training, finding blackmail on sensei and pranks. I like training with sensei, talking with him and some of the other jounin, bugging Sandaime-sama, spending time with my nii-san and ramen. I dislike prejudiced people, fan girls and people who don't take being a ninja seriously. My dream is to be the best ninja I can and to make my family proud of me. And maybe to make it to Hokage. Happy?”
 
“Ecstatic. You next pinky.”
 
----------------------------------
“How did the team meeting go?”
 
“Yuk! We got stuck with Sasuke and Sakura.” Naruto pulled a face and Iruka laughed.
 
“Be nice Naruto.” He admonished.
 
“Kakashi-sensei said I can play the occasional prank and he'll ignore it.” Iruka shook his head, the last thing Naruto needed was encouragement.
 
“Do you think they'll pass Kakashi's test?”
 
“No way. Sasuke's all `I'm an Avenger and need n one'. Sakura will follow him around like a puppy and ignore me. It'll take a lot to get those two to work with me as a team.” Naruto shrugged, not really bothered by it. But it bothered Iruka; Naruto needed friends his own age. He couldn't have that until they acknowledged him though. As Kakashi's apprentice he'd gotten to know some of the jounin well so hopefully they'd encourage their teams to include the blonde.
 
----------------------------
“Naruto you're late!” Sakura yelled.
 
“Sensei's always late so why should I be on time? He'll be here in another half hour or so.” Naruto said as he began to warm up.
 
“Stop trying to act so cool.” She insisted and Naruto sighed.
 
“I'm not. It's called warming up Sakura. Why don't you try it, wouldn't want to pull a muscle. Book smarts aren't going to get you far now.” Naruto stated, never pausing in his exercises.
 
“You've changed dobe.”
 
“Nope, just stopped acting. Morning sensei.” Naruto called.
 
“Where is it Naruto?” Kakashi growled and Naruto grinned.
 
“Where's what? Oh…that. You left it out so I followed nii-san's advice.” Naruto shrugged.
 
“You're dead!” Naruto dodged, putting a clone in his place.
 
“The test sensei!” He yelled.
“You can kill me later.”
 
“Good point.” Kakashi put his kunai away and took out an alarm clock.
“The test is simple, you have until noon to get a bell off me. Whoever doesn't goes back to the Academy. To make it more fun Naruto will be participating but without the risk of returning to the Academy should he fail.”
 
“But you could get hurt sensei.”
 
“Yeah right, he's a jounin Sakura. We won't even bruise him.” Naruto knew that for a fact, he'd been trying for the last three months after all.
 
“I suggest you come at me with the intent to kill. Start…now.” All three teens vanished, he knew exactly where they were of course but it wasn't bad. He ducked suddenly as a rain of shuriken sailed harmlessly overhead.
“One on one Naruto-kun?” He asked, smiling.
 
“Figured I might as well show them what they're up against.” Naruto called from the trees. Kakashi knew it was a clone but he destroyed it anyway.
 
“So lets see what you've learnt.”
 
------------------------------
“Hey Sasuke.”
 
“What do you want dobe.”
 
“You do realise the only way to get the bells don't you?”
 
“Yes, by staying away from idiots like you. You don't attack a jounin head on like that.” Naruto shrugged.
 
“We were messing around. Though I'd be nice and give you two an idea of how he fights since I already knew.”
 
“Yeah right.” Sasuke walked off.
 
“Suite yourself.” Naruto shook his head as he heard Sakura scream.
“Think you over did it sensei.”
 
“Maybe. Didn't realise she'd take seeing Uchiha injured that badly.” Kakashi shrugged.
 
“She's a fan girl! Suppose I should go wake her up. Can you please kick Sasuke's ass? Pretty please?” Kakashi laughed, ruffling Naruto's hair before vanishing while Naruto went to find Sakura.
 
Sakura opened her eyes to see Naruto leaning over her. He pulled her to her feet and then stepped back.
 
“Sasuke-kun! We have to find him!”
 
“Why?”
 
“He's hurt you baka!”
 
“So you fainted? You fell for a genjutsu Sakura. Sasuke's facing sensei right now.” Naruto began to walk away.
 
“We have to help him!”
 
“Why? He doesn't want help.” Had she worked it out?
 
“Oh.” Naruto felt like hitting himself. He was very glad Kakashi had yanked him from the Academy or he'd be just as clueless, probably more so actually.
 
“Fine, lets go.” He changed direction to head for where he could sense Sasuke, Kakashi had vanished a few seconds ago. What he saw when he entered the clearing made him crack up. Sasuke was buried up to his head in the ground.
 
“Naruto?” Sakura stepped around the laughing blonde and froze. She screamed and fainted again, leaving the two boys to stare at her.
 
“Need a hand?” Naruto began digging Sasuke out and he glared but began helping. He was soon free of the hole and Naruto lifted Sakura, earning a look from Sasuke.
“What? Can't just leave her here. I'd never hear the end of it.” Naruto shrugged and Sasuke nodded. He opened his mouth to speak but the alarm rang.
 
This time when Sakura woke she couldn't move.
 
“What?” She looked around to see Sasuke sitting on the ground with Naruto lounging nearby.
 
“Congratulations, neither of you should go back to the Academy.” Kakashi said and Sakura smiled.
“You should quit being ninja. By fighting me in the open Naruto gave you the perfect opportunity to watch my fighting style and plan accordingly. Sakura, all you did was wander around looking for Sasuke. Sasuke, Naruto came to you and gave you several hints on what to do. Instead you ignored them and insulted him. Both of you missed the whole point of the test.”
 
“But the point was to get the bells.” Sakura all but whined.
 
“Teamwork!” Naruto yelled, frustrated.
“Only by working together would we have a chance of getting the bells. He's a jounin, we're genin work it out!”
 
“Thank you Naruto.” Kakashi frowned slightly; Naruto was not dealing with this at all well.
“There is a reason you're put into teams of three, you have to be able to work with others no matter what your personal opinion of them is. I'll give you one more chance after lunch but it will be harder. Sakura goes hungry.” He vanished and Naruto pulled one of the lunches over to himself. Sakura watched them eat, her stomach growling loudly. Sasuke sighed and held his lunch up to her.
 
“But Kakashi-sensei said.”
 
“He's not here and we don't need you fainting from hunger. Eat.” Sasuke stated coldly. Naruto stood and cut the ropes so that she could use her hands since Sasuke had made the first step. Dark clouds suddenly appeared over them and then an angry Kakashi was in front of them.
 
`YOU ALL…pass.” Kakashi grinned and Naruto playfully rolled his eyes at his sensei's antics.
“Congratulations. We will meet here tomorrow at seven.” With that he was gone.
 
“So what do you two want to do now?” Naruto asked, willing to give being friends a chance. Sasuke just turned and walked away, Sakura running to catch up.
 
“Sasuke-kun will you go out with me?” Naruto sighed sadly, why had he thought things would change? He watched them go and then his chin went up. So what if they didn't like him, he'd work with them because he had to. He had Iruka, Kakashi, Sandaime and the other jounin.
 
--------------------------------------------
Kakashi looked up in surprise as Naruto walked in.
 
“You three didn't stay out very long.” Naruto just shrugged and went to his room, Kakashi watching sadly. The children of Naruto's generation mimicked their parents where he was concerned but he'd hoped that after realising they were a team the other two would let him in. Obviously not. He hid his book and then knocked on Naruto's door.
 
“It's unlocked.” He looked in to see Naruto studying a scroll on doton jutsu's.
 
“I'm heading out for a bit. Want to get some ramen later?”
 
“Okay.” Kakashi watched him for a few more seconds before shutting the door and using a jutsu to get to Iruka quickly.
 
“Kakashi! I wasn't expecting you, is something wrong?” Iruka's welcoming smile turned to a look of concern as Kakashi sat down.
 
“They passed the test, Team 7 is official.”
 
“That's great, isn't it?” Iruka sat down opposite him.
 
“Sasuke thinks Naruto is an idiot and to be ignored. Sakura follows Sasuke and snubs Naruto. I left the three of them to spend time getting to know each other and Naruto was home not fifteen minutes later.” Kakashi explained and Iruka looked down.
 
“I see. How did Naruto take it?”
 
“He's in his room studying quietly. He may not like either of them but he was willing to try.”
 
“Now he'll close off.” Iruka said sadly.
“He's been hurt by rejection too many times, he won't easily give them another chance.”
 
“He needs friends his own age, a support group.”
 
“What about Gai-sans student, you said they spar sometimes.”
 
“But they don't really talk, except when Lee's parroting Gai.”
 
“Maybe they just need some more time?” Both of them knew Iruka was just grasping at straws.
 
“Maybe, but like you said, he's been rejected too many times.”
 
TBC…