Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Back at uni now so updates of all fics will be slower, sorry.
 
Chapter 7
 
 
“Pack for a week.” Naruto looked up to see Kakashi in the doorway.
 
“Sensei?” He asked, already moving to where he'd stored his pack.
 
“We have a C-ranked delivery mission.” Kakashi explained.
 
“The others are meeting us at the gate?”
 
“No, it's just us. I asked for a mission for the two of us.” Kakashi smiled and Naruto nodded, a small smiled on his lips as he began packing.
“Since this is your first mission outside the village I will check your gear before we leave but after this it is your responsibility.” Naruto nodded.
 
“Where are we going?” Naruto grabbed his weapons, checking them carefully.
 
“A small village to the south. There shouldn't be any trouble but that doesn't mean you let your guard down.” What Kakashi didn't mention was the well-known weapon smith that lived there. He wanted Naruto to have something unique to him.
“Once you're done you can go say goodbye.” Naruto nodded again as he added his first aid kit near the top of the pack.
 
----------------------------
“Nii-san.” Iruka left the small bedroom and frowned slightly when he saw Naruto's pack lying at the teen's feet.
 
“Naruto?”
 
“Kakashi-sensei got us a mission, a c-rank.” He grinned in excitement.
“I've never been out of the village before.”
 
“Where are you going?” Iruka asked tightly, mentally reminding himself that Naruto would be back.
 
“Some village to the south, it's a delivery mission. He said we'll be back in a week. Don't worry, Kakashi-sensei said there shouldn't be any trouble.”
 
“I'm sure the four of you could handle it if there was.” Naruto shook his head.
 
“Just the two of us. Since he's had to split his attention and I'm his apprentice the old man gave us this. Some one else is taking the others for the week.” Iruka's heart leapt into his throat but he forced himself to swallow and nod. Naruto watched him and then hugged him.
“You know he won't let anything happen. He's a tardy pervert but he's not a bad person. We'll be back before you know it.” Naruto pulled back and grinned.
“Got to go, don't want to be late.” Naruto shouldered his pack and turned to go.
 
“Naruto.” The blonde turned back.
“Be careful.”
 
“I will. I'll pick you up a souvenir.” He flashed a grin and was gone.
 
-----------------------
Hey Naruto!” He turned and waved at Sakura.
“Where are you going?” She asked as she caught up to him.
 
“Mission.” He answered, walking quickly, it would look bad if his sensei beat him to the gates after all.
 
“Don't lie! We don't have a mission.”
 
“You don't, sensei and I do.” Sakura snorted.
 
“Why would Kakashi-sensei take you on a mission?”
 
“Because he is my apprentice Sakura and this is a mission for the two of us. Said your goodbyes?”
 
“Hai sensei.”
 
“Good, I need to talk to Sakura for a minute.” Naruto nodded and moved closer to the gates. Kakashi pulled Sakura aside and stared down at her, disappointed.
“I had hoped that your attitude would have improved by now Sakura. Frankly Naruto is a hundred times the ninja you are and yet you continually put him down. He is my apprentice and as such there will be times when only the two of us have a mission. You need to grow up fast if you want to survive the life you've chosen. You need to take a long hard look at your reasons for becoming a shinobi.” He told her firmly.
 
“But everyone says he's bad.” She protested weakly.
 
“So you just follow the crowd? I'm ashamed of you Haruno.” He turned and walked over to Naruto, leaving her standing alone in tears.
 
“What did you say to make her cry?” Naruto asked as they passed through the gates, looking back at her a little worried.
 
“Just a few needed truths.” Kakashi answered, smiling as Naruto stared about them in wonder.
 
-----------------------
“Feel free to look around but don't wander too far or stay out too late. We'll deliver the scroll in the morning.”
 
“Thanks.” Naruto checked his wallet and then slipped it into a hidden pocket before leaving the hotel to explore. Hopefully he had enough money to get something not only for Iruka but Kakashi and the old man too. He wandered aimlessly through the town, looking in the various shops but nothing caught his eye.
 
“Looking for something special?” Naruto turned and smiled at the old woman.
 
“For my older brother.” She nodded and led him around to another section.
 
“Rare to see ninja here.” She commented and Naruto shrugged.
 
“Just going where my sensei tells me to.” He answered flippantly. He smiled as he saw a small dolphin carved from some sort of stone.
 
“Beautiful isn't it?” She smiled and he nodded.
“Twenty.” He thought about it and then nodded again.
“I'll box it for you.” He followed her over to the counter and watched as she boxed and wrapped the figurine. He handed over the money and took the box.
“I hope your brother likes it.”
 
“I'm sure he will. Thanks!” Naruto grinned and left, wanting to hide the box in his pack before doing any more shopping.
 
------------------------
Iruka started to turn as the door opened only to stagger as a blonde missile slammed into him. He smiled and hugged the boy as he got his balance back.
 
“I'm back! Did you miss me?” Naruto grinned up at him. Iruka ruffled his hair and began looking him over for injuries making Naruto laugh.
“I'm fine! We didn't have any trouble at all. I got you something.”
 
“Thank you.” Iruka accepted the gift and slowly unwrapped it before opening the box. He reached in and smiled as he pulled out the beautifully carved dolphin.
 
“Do you like it?” Naruto asked nervously.
 
“I love it.” Iruka told him.
 
“Really?”
 
“Really. So did you enjoy the mission?”
 
“It was great! I've never been out of the village before. Kakashi-sensei even gave me time to explore by myself as long as I wasn't out late and was careful. There was this really nice old lady, she showed me that and I knew it was for you.” Naruto bounced and Iruka smiled again.
 
--------------------------------
Iruka smiled at the jounin as he entered the main room and slouched down on the couch.
 
“Kids giving you a hard time?” He teased. Kakashi smiled, happy that Iruka was now able to tease him even if it didn't happen often. Slowly Iruka was learning to relax around him, sure Iruka had saved his life and had suggested him as Naruto's teacher but he had always been tense around him. Kakashi knew that Iruka was scared for Naruto and so he always went out of his way to talk to the younger man about the blonde, trying to reassure him that all sensei's weren't like his. And to his delight it was working, slowly but surely Iruka had begun to relax and open up a bit. They were friends now and in a way Kakashi dreaded the day Iruka would be allowed to leave the tower because then he'd have to share the younger man with the rest of the village. As selfish as it was he liked having a friend he only had to share with three others and Anko didn't really count, as she was more of a sister to Iruka. Sandaime was his mentor and an almost father figure, Naruto his little brother. But Kakashi was his friend and only that.
 
TBC…