Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Commitment ❯ Doubt ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Chapter Two - Doubt
 
 
 
 
Even with the kissing problem resolved the beginning of their relationship was far from easy going, at least as far as Hinata's was concerned. Hinata had noticed a change in the way people looked at Naruto, specifically the female population. It seems that there were a number of girls watching Naruto now. Since the attack by Pein Hinata had seen a few of the young girls glancing at Naruto as he walked down the street but after the attack by the Rock ninjas there were a lot more and some of the lookers were young adult women. Hinata began to feel a little uncomfortable as she started to think that they might be interested in her Naruto-kun. Even though she had been too shy to take advantage of it, Hinata basically had no competition for Naruto's affections. Obviously there was Sakura but she only had eyes for Sasuke so Hinata never felt fully threatened by the idea of Sakura changing her mind. However now that Naruto-kun was hers, the threat of competition seemed to be everywhere. Hinata's only consolation was that Naruto hadn't noticed a thing. Hinata's anxiety came to a peak a few weeks after their `movie' date during a mission with Kiba and Akamaru to track down a group of bandits.
 
 
The Land of Waves had been plagued by a gang of bandits attacking caravans as they brought goods to and from the country by way of the only access by land; The Great Naruto Bridge. The Land of Waves had its own police force to handle such problems but this particular gang had been using the surrounding forest as their hideout and they were very adept at eluding the local law enforcement. In frustration officials from the Land of Waves petition Konoha to send some ninja to handle the problem and figuring that the situation called for strong trackers Tsunade sent Hinata, Inuzuka Kiba and Akamaru, of course. As luck would have it Akamaru's nose picked up a number of different scents coming from the forest long before Hinata and Kiba neared the bridge leading to the Land of Wave. After deciding to investigate, they came upon a group of ten men hanging out in a clearing that matched the description of their intended targets. After a few Gentle Fist attacks and Four Legs Jutsu attacks, Hinata and Kiba had captured the gang with Akamaru keeping an eye out for stragglers.
 
 
While directing the group of bound captives toward the Land of Wave from the rear, Kiba commented “Tsk, what a waste of time. The local police force must be pretty pathetic if they couldn't catch these guys. I mean I didn't even break a sweat.”
 
 
While keeping her eyes and ears alert for any attack Hinata replied “Now Kiba-kun, that's not nice. I'm sure that the local police would not have needed us if they had been able to locate the gang. They just didn't have anyone who could track as well as you.”
 
 
Then she quickly added “Or Akamaru” before the dog took any offense to her previous statement.
 
 
Enjoying the compliment Kiba stood straighter and said “Well, that's true. With a ninja as awesome as me who… could… I don't believe it! You have got to be kidding me! Tell me that that's just a coincidence!”
 
 
Hinata stopped to look at Kiba and noticing where he was looking turned in the direction of his eyes and spotted the bridge leading to the Land of Waves. However Kiba was not looking at the whole bridge, just one area in particular. Kiba's eyes were drawn to the sign proclaiming the name of the bridge and as Hinata realized what he was staring at she slowly smiled. Naruto had told her the story about his first A-rank mission to the Land of Waves and how the bridge had acquired its name but this was the first time she had seen it herself. As Kiba turned to Hinata with a questioning look she just smiled, shrugged her shoulders and began herding the prisoners across the bridge.
 
 
As they entered the first town which served as the main port to the Land of Waves, Hinata approached a local to find out where the Police Building was located. When she returned to Kiba she said “The man said it was just down the street, on the right side.”
 
 
Though Kiba was listening he was also checking out the local residents, especially the women. Kiba replied “You know, Hinata, it might not be so bad hanging around this town for a few hours.”
 
 
As Hinata watched exactly where Kiba was looking she smiled, especially after she noticed one particular girl looking their way. This young girl seemed to be excited and she suddenly ran towards them clutching something in her hands. Both Kiba and Akamaru picked up the scent of excitement coming from the girl so Akamaru moved into a position to keep an eye on the prisoners while Kiba readied himself for the first part in his routine to acquire a temporary girlfriend.
 
 
When the girl neared Hinata and Kiba she asked “Are you Konoha ninjas?”
 
 
Smiling Kiba answered “Yes we are.”
 
 
Then the girl asked in quick succession “Is Uzumaki Naruto-san with you? Of course he is, I mean, who else could have captured these bandits singlehandedly. Where is he? I must talk to him.”
 
 
As the young girl looked around frantically, Kiba's and Hinata's faces fell at the girl's ramblings but Hinata's face showed the most surprise.
 
 
Then Hinata asked “Do you know Nar…Uzumaki Naruto?”
 
 
“Of course I do! Well I haven't actually talked to him. I saw him a couple of times when he came through here about two weeks ago visiting the Tazuna-san and his grandson Inari. Do you know he singlehandedly saved this town from an evil man named Gato when he was only twelve? That's why the bridge is named after him. Inari also said he saved Konoha from the Atuski… the Akatsu… the… well some gang of super ninjas and… Kami! He is sooo handsome!” she squealed.
 
 
Realizing that this was just innocent idol admiration Hinata said “Well, I am sorry. He didn't come this time.”
 
 
Disappointment fell across the young girls face as she heard the news and she said “Darn, and I wanted to give him my letter.”
 
 
Then suddenly an idea crossed her mind as she said “Hey, you guys know him! Can you please give this to him? Please?!!”
 
 
Hinata seemed taken aback by the request as she saw that the envelope was made from quality paper with little hearts on the outside.
 
 
Seeing Hinata's hesitation Kiba took the letter and said “Sure, we'll see that he gets it”
 
 
The young girl bowed and said “Thank you” and as she left Kiba could hear her talking to herself saying “He will read my letter. Then he will fall in love with me. Then we will get married and have lots of babies and….”
 
 
Taking the letter Kiba waved it at Hinata so that she could smell the perfume he had already detected on the envelope and said “Looks like you have some competition.”
 
 
Hinata ignored Kiba's taunt, it wasn't that young girl she was thinking about. Hinata was wondering how many older girls and young women were actually interested in Naruto-kun and could she even compete with them.
 
 
Kiba, seeing the look on Hinata's face, said “Hinata, I was joking. You don't actually think…”
 
 
Hinata interrupted Kiba by saying “Oh no, of course not, Kiba-kun. I was thinking of something else. Let just get these prisoners to the police and then we can get something to eat, okay?”
 
 
Kiba could tell that Hinata was bothered by something but he decided to let it drop for now and replied “Sure, let's go.”
 
 
Hinata's fears were realized sooner than she had hoped. They located the police building just as they were directed and soon the responsibility for the prisoners was taken by the local law enforcement. The head of the police department had informed them that the City Council wanted them to take some documents back to Konoha. Since this mission had ended quickly Hinata and Kiba had agreed and decided to stay the night and return to Konoha the next day.
 
 
It was while leaving the police building that a young woman who appeared to be in her early twenties approached them and asked “Excuse me, my name is Akiyama Akina. May I know your names?”
 
 
Kiba stepped forward and replied “This is Hyuuga Hinata and my name is Inuzuka Kiba. How may I help you?”
 
 
Feeling a little embarrassed Akina said “I was wondering if you could do me a favor? I have a correspondence for a person in Konoha and I was wondering; could you please deliver it?”
 
 
Trying to act like a gentleman and hoping he could impress the young woman Kiba replied “Sure I will. It will be my pleasure.”
 
 
Akina smiled and said “Thank you, I am not sure of the address but the name is on the envelope.”
 
 
Grinning Kiba took the envelope and said “I am staying in town for the day. Maybe you would like to join us for lunch?”
 
 
Akina smiled and answered “Thank you, but I can't as I have to get back to work” and then she bowed and walked away.
 
 
Kiba watched Akina as she walked away and then looked at the name on the envelope.
 
 
“Not another one” he groaned as he discovered that the letter was addressed to Uzumaki Naruto.
 
 
Realizing that he had said that out loud Kiba quickly looked at Hinata who had her head tilted down while clasping her hands together in front of her.
 
 
Kiba immediately said “Hinata, I didn't…” but Hinata cut him off by turning towards the door and saying “Let's go, Kiba”.
 
 
Kiba followed Hinata out of the building where they joined Akamaru and then all three went looking for a place to eat. After they had walked down a few streets they spotted a small restaurant with outside seating which was perfect for Akamaru.
 
 
However just before they sat down to eat another young girl came up to them carrying a letter, she gave a quick bow and said “Excuse me, my name is Hashimoto Keiko and I was wondering…”
 
 
At this Kiba growled and said “Look here, we aren't…” but again he was cut off by Hinata who said “Yes, we will deliver your letter.”
 
 
At first Keiko was frightened by Kiba's response but when Hinata agreed she relaxed and handed Hinata her letter. Then Keiko bowed saying “Thank you”, turned and left leaving Kiba staring at Hinata in disbelief.
 
 
Finally Kiba said “Hinata, why did you accept that letter?”
 
 
Hinata moved to sit down and replied “These are correspondences for Naruto-kun and he deserves to get them.”
 
 
“Hinata, you know those are love letters; why are you doing this?” Kiba asked.
 
 
Hinata said nothing as she sat there. Kiba knew that, when Hinata acted like that, the only one she would open up to was Kurenai-sensei and since Sensei wasn't around he just sat down in frustration and waited for the waiter. All through the rest of the day Hinata accepted love letters for Naruto and by the time Hinata and Kiba retired to their separate room in the hotel she had over a dozen letters. The next day by the time Hinata and Kiba had received the documents from the City Council and had reached the bridge there were twenty letters for Naruto in Hinata's possession.
 
 
After receiving the last letter from a late arrival Kiba stared at Hinata and said “Hinata, why are you doing this?”
 
 
Hinata replied “What kind of girlfriend would I be if I destroyed these letters, Kiba-kun?”
 
 
“A smart one!” Kiba replied.
 
 
Hinata said “Kiba-kun, I want Naruto-kun to trust me, to know that he doesn't have to hide anything from me and that I won't hide anything from him.”
 
 
Kiba sarcastically retorted “Yeah riiight.”
 
 
Then he added “That is without a doubt the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Look Hinata, I say this as a friend and as a teammate; get rid of those letters. They are nothing but trouble. You already have what you want, the baka like you and you like the baka, though I don't know why? Showing him those letters are just inviting complications into your relationship.”
 
 
Hinata didn't answer Kiba; she just turned and started walking towards Konoha.
 
 
Growling in frustration Kiba said “Come on, Akamaru, let's get going” and then they joined Hinata in silence and headed back to Konoha.
 
 
In truth Hinata figured that this was probably the worst idea she had ever had because even she wasn't sure what the outcome would be. However Hinata realized that Naruto had never had anyone ever tell him that they loved him or even liked him before her. How would he even know that she was right for him if he had never had a chance to choose another girlfriend? Hinata had liked Naruto as long as she could remember and that liking had turned into love over time but even she had received requests from suitors since she was sixteen. She had turned them all down because of her love for Naruto but also because many of them were no more than political alliances. She decided that Naruto deserved the same options she had been given and if it turned out for the worse then she would survive somehow.
 
 
After a while they decided to pick up the pace so Hinata, Kiba and Akamaru took to the trees and arrived at the Main Gates of Konoha a few hours later. As they passed through the gate and passed the guard booth just inside the entrance Hinata heard Naruto's voice call her name.
 
 
“Hey Hinata, I am glad I saw you before I left” he said while closing the distance between them.
 
 
When Naruto stopped in front of Hinata she asked “Leaving, Naruto-kun? Are you going somewhere?”
 
 
Naruto looked at Kiba and said “Hey Kiba” and when Akamaru barked Naruto acknowledged him saying “Sorry, Akamaru, I didn't mean to overlook you.”
 
 
Turning back to Hinata Naruto replied “Yeah, sorry we can't get together tonight but I got an urgent mission from Tsunade just a half an hour ago. I shouldn't be gone more than three days so maybe when I get back we can go on a picnic together?”
 
 
Hinata replied “That would be nice, Naruto-kun”.
 
 
Knowing he couldn't kiss her in public Naruto took Hinata's hand and squeezing it lightly said “Good, then I will see you later. I'll try to get back as soon as I can, okay?”
 
 
Hinata lightly squeezed Naruto's hand and said “I'll be waiting.”
 
 
Naruto gave Hinata a longing look and then turned to leave. Suddenly Hinata called “Naruto-kun?” and when he turned to look at her she took the backpack off her shoulder and placed it on the ground.
 
 
When Naruto came closer he asked “What is it, Hinata? What's the matter?”
 
 
Hinata hesitated for a second and then said “Please be careful”.
 
 
Naruto grinned and said “Aren't I always.”
 
 
Hinata gave him a soft smile and said “No”.
 
 
Still grinning Naruto replied “I'll be careful” and then turned and ran away.
 
 
Kiba moved closer to Hinata and said “Good, you made the right decision. Now get rid of those letters.”
 
 
Keeping her eyes on Naruto's retreating back she replied “I didn't change my mind. I just didn't want him to be distracted while on his mission. I will give him the letters when he returns”.
 
 
Kiba said “I still think it's a stupid idea. Well, let's get going and report to Tsunade-sama.”
 
 
With that said all three started walking towards the Hokage tower while Hinata prayed that Kiba wasn't correct.
 
 
The next day found Hinata still worried about her decision to give Naruto the letters. Kiba was a good friend and all but he was a boy and she felt she needed the advice of a female. She could talk to all her friends but being the same age as her their experiences with boys were probably an only little better than hers. She needed to talk to a woman. She couldn't talk to any female member of her family because even though she didn't conceal the fact that she would hang out with Naruto-kun she also didn't advertise it for fear that it might cause problems. The only person Hinata could talk to was Yuuhi Kurenai, her sensei, and so after her morning training session and Hyuuga Clan lessons, Hinata left the estates for Kurenai's apartment.
 
 
She hadn't had a chance to inform Kurenai-sensei that she was coming for a visit so Hinata hoped she didn't catch Sensei at a bad time. As Hinata approached Kurenai's building she spotted her Sensei leaving with Asumakuzu strapped to her back.
 
 
When Kurenai spotted Hinata she walked towards the girl and said “Hinata, it's good to see you. How are you feeling today?”
 
 
Hinata gave a quick bow and answered “I'm feeling fine, Sensei. How are you and Asumakuzu doing?”
 
 
Kurenai replied “I'm good however this little imp got into the rice and spilled it all over the kitchen floor. I was just going to the store to pick up some more plus a few other items.”
 
 
Hinata looked down for a second and then said “Um. Do you mind if I accompany you?”
 
 
Kurenai, who knew Hinata very well, recognized that Hinata was bothered by something and needed to talk so she replied “Sure Hinata, I would love the company. It would be nice to here actual words instead of baby babbling for once.”
 
 
Hinata giggled at this and then placed her hand on Asumakuzu face in a caressing motion before returning her attention to Kurenai.
 
 
Hinata said “He's getting bigger every day and he starting to look more like Asuma-sensei.”
 
 
“Yes, I know” Kurenai said a little wistfully but then added “But enough about that, we have a lot of girl talk to catch up on so let's get going.”
 
 
Kurenai knew that Hinata would eventually get around to the real reason why she was visiting so Kurenai wasn't going to confront her. Their little shopping trip didn't end at the grocery store. After arranging for the groceries to be delivered, they decided to visit a few clothing shops and a toy store where they pick up a new stuffed animal for the Asumakuzu. It was when they sat down at an open air sweet shop that Hinata finally broached the subject. They had just finished ordering some tea and cakes for Kurenai and Hinata and Kurenai had just secured her onbuhimo, with Asumakuzu still inside eating a baby biscuit, on the third chair.
 
 
After the waitress left Hinata said “Sensei, I need some advice.”
 
 
“Ahh,” Kurenai thought “now she ready” and then said to Hinata “Regarding what?”
 
 
At this point Hinata related what had occurred in the Land of Waves and finished her story by saying “Kiba thinks it's a stupid idea.”
 
 
The waitress had returned with their order at that moment and after she left Kurenai said “Well, I wouldn't have put it so crude but I agree with him. Hinata, relationships are hard enough to maintain without added complications. Why are you inviting trouble?”
 
 
Hinata just looked down at her tea for a while and then softly said “I want to be with Naruto-kun and I want him to want to be with me but I want Naruto-kun to want me because he likes me not because I'm his only chance at love.”
 
 
Kurenai replied “Hinata, people get into relationships for many reasons and `being in love' is only one of the reasons. Some get into relationships for political reasons hoping their partner will provide a stepping stone to greater power. Some enter relationships for social reasons again hoping their partner will provide a stepping stone to more money, greater social standings or greater perceived popularity.”
 
 
“Some do it to hurt a former lover or their parents who didn't approve of a previous relationship. There are some who enter relationships because they perceive that all their friends are in relationships and they don't want to feel left out. And, yes, some people enter relationship because they believe no one else will have them” she added.
 
 
“Personally I don't believe Naruto is one of those people but, considering the type of life he has lived, the possibility does exist” Kurenai finished.
 
 
After taking a sip of her tea Kurenai said “Hinata, in relationships there are no easy answers because everybody is different. This plan of yours is very risky. Are you prepared if it doesn't go the way you had hoped?”
 
 
Hinata sighed and answered ”Yes I have thought about that a lot and I am willing to let him go if he chooses to break up with me.”
 
 
“Then all I can say is go with what your heart says” Kurenai replied.
 
 
Hinata sighed again and kept looking at her half finished cup of tea so Kurenai said “Well, I better get this little man home as it is time for his nap.”
 
 
Hinata and Kurenai rose from their chairs and after placing the onbuhimo on her back Kurenai and Hinata headed back to the apartment building.
 
 
Hinata was quiet during the trip back and when they reached the front door Kurenai said “Hinata, love is unpredictable. Who knows, Naruto may even surprise you. But even if things go wrong I just want to say that I am very proud of you.”
 
 
This caught Hinata off guards so she looked up at her sensei and asked “Why?”
 
 
Kurenai smiled and answered “Because you have grown into a strong young woman. The old Hinata would have just accepted things as they were but you now have the courage to take the risks necessary to have the kind of life you want.”
 
 
Though she was still worried, Hinata felt a little better and said “Thank you, Sensei” and then gave Kurenai a hug.
 
 
After they broke apart Kurenai said “Let me know how things turn out, okay?”
 
 
Hinata replied “Yes, Sensei” and gave a small wave, then she turned and walked back to the estates.
 
 
The day of the picnic found Naruto holding a large blanket while waiting outside the Hyuuga estates' wall near the main gate. He had returned the day before and had bumped into Hinata on the street after making his report to the Hokage. Because he was tired, dirty and smelled of dry blood they had a quick conversation regarding what time he should arrive at her home to pick her up. He had only been there ten minutes when Hinata emerge from the opening in the huge walls caused by the main gate. She was wearing her usual black pants with a sleeveless gray t-shirt. Over the t-shirt she wore a gray light wind breaker similar to her old hoodie however the fur lining of the hood was replaced with an orange trim which flowed into her front zipper which was also orange. Naruto had brought this as a souvenir for her from one of his missions. In her hand was the picnic basket which Naruto grabbed when he ran to meet her.
 
 
“Ready to go, Hinata? I thought that we would go down to the river this time” Naruto said eagerly.
 
 
Hinata smiled while saying “Yes, Naruto-kun, that would be nice” however inside she was anxious because she didn't know what Naruto would do when she gave him the love letters.
 
 
It took them half an hour to run down to the river outside Konoha's wall being careful not to disturb the food in the picnic basket. When they reached the river Naruto and Hinata walked along the riverbank until they found a clearing large enough to suit their needs. Naruto spread the blanket out upon the ground and then laid down on his side looking at Hinata. Hinata knelt down, then sat on her haunches and started to unpack the picnic basket. She took out Yakitori, (grilled seasoned chicken on a skewer) and Oden (daikon radish, hanpen {square fish cakes}, chikuwa {tubular fish cakes}, boiled eggs, konnyaku {yam cake}), that had been prepared before in a hot pot. She also had Inarizushi (sushi rice is packed in seasoned fried tofu pouches) and onigiri is filled with pickled Ume (fruit) or salted salmon that she had made herself. And last but not least ramen in a bowl with a flask of hot miso broth to accompany it. Hinata placed half of the ramen in another bowl and poured the broth over it then set it aside. While the ramen seeped she unwrapped all the other food and set then out for easy access. When she was finished she handed Naruto, who had sat up in anticipation, the bowl of hot ramen.
 
 
As Naruto started to devour his ramen Hinata sat there debating with herself about the letters. Finally Hinata softly said “Naruto-kun…”
 
 
When Naruto didn't hear anything else he looked up and said “Huh?”
 
 
Hinata couldn't find the words to tell him so she just reached into the basket and pulled out the letters extending them with both hands towards him. The letters were stacked in order of size with largest on the bottom and tied with a simple brown string.
 
 
Naruto looked at the letters in Hinata's hands and asked “What's that?”
 
 
Hinata replied in a low voice “These are letters from people in the Land of Waves for you.”
 
 
Naruto perked up and said “OH!” while taking the bundled. Then Hinata added “From girls” in an equally quiet voice.
 
 
Naruto said “Oh”, dropped them on the blanket and continued eating.
 
 
Confused Hinata quietly asked “Are you going to read them later?”
 
 
Naruto finished eating the ramen and replied “Nope” and then picked up an onigiri and resume eating.
 
 
Surprised Hinata said “Naruto-kun, they might be important!”
 
 
Naruto put his unfinished onigiri down, picked up the letters and casually flung them into the river. Then he looked directly into Hinata's eyes and said “No, they are not.”
 
 
Seeing the questioning look in Hinata's eyes Naruto's continued “Hinata, I have seen the look on your face whenever another girl looked at me. I can't control what they do but I know that I will never do anything that will make you doubt me. I have told you before, you give me the feeling of being home, that here is where I belong, whenever I'm around you and I won't risk losing that feeling to see if there is someone else out there.”
 
 
Hinata's eyes softened, glistening with unshed tears, as she smiled.
 
 
Then Naruto said “Hinata, you know how you once called me a proud failure because whenever I failed at something I would practice again and again until I got it right?”
 
 
Hinata replied “Yes” even though she wondered what that had to do with what they were talking about.
 
 
Then Naruto said “Well, I still don't think I got this kissing thing figured out so…”
 
 
Hinata faced was suddenly flushed as she realized what he wanted so she closed her eyes and leaned closer to Naruto who was slowly closing the distance.
 
 
Suddenly they heard a voice saying “Well, well, well, if it isn't a Konoha Nin and his blind girlfriend.”
 
 
Naruto leapt to his feet and instinctively place his body between the voice and Hinata's
 
 
As Hinata rose from the ground Naruto yelled out “Who are you? Why don't you show yourself?”
 
 
After a few moments a man emerged from behind a clump of bushes along the edge of the river. He was a thin man with white hair and as he smiled at Naruto and Hinata they could see that his teeth were pointy like a shark. Upon the man's shoulder was a large item that appeared to be a sword wrapped in bandages.
 
 
When the man stopped about twenty yards away from Naruto and Hinata, Naruto said “Alright, who are you and what do you want?”
 
 
The man smiled and replied “That's very rude to ask someone their name without identifying yourself.”
 
 
Something about the strange man told Naruto he couldn't care less about someone manners but Naruto replied “My name is Uzumaki Naruto.”
 
 
Hearing his name Suigetsu thought “Naruto? That the guy Sasuke would sometimes talk about, the one who Madara said defeated Pein. This fight has become real interesting.”
 
 
Grinning ear to ear Suigetsu said “Ah, that's much better. My name is Suigetsu. I want some information and if you give me the right answers I may decide not to kill you.”
 
 
“Now where can I find Uchiha Sasuke?” Suigetsu asked.
 
 
As Naruto stared at Suigetsu, something about him and the way he was holding the sword in that position seemed familiar yet wrong. It was almost as if the sword was right but the man was wrong.
 
 
Naruto replied “Why do you want to know?”
 
 
Suigetsu replied “Oh sorry, wrong answer. Now I will have to kill you but if you answer the question right this time I will make it quick otherwise it will be slow and painful. Now where is Uchiha Sasuke?”
 
 
At this point Hinata activated her Byakugan and scanned Suigetsu. What she saw stunned her and so she leaned closer to Naruto and quietly said “Be careful, Naruto-kun. He's has a lot of chakra and that sword is not normal. It has its own chakra system. It's almost as if the sword is alive.”
 
 
Seeing Hinata activate her bloodlimit Suigetsu said “Oh, I see. You're not blind, you're a Hyuuga. I know some people who would pay a lot of money to get their hands on those eyes of yours”.
 
 
This comment caused Hinata to involuntarily shiver as it brought back memories of being kidnapped as a child for the exact same purpose.
 
 
Feeling Hinata's body shiver through his back Naruto yelled “Bastard, you lay one hand on her and I will kick your ass!”
 
 
Shifting Samehada on his shoulder, Suigetsu replied “If you think you can stop me, go ahead and try.”
 
Not wanting to attack without knowing what he was up against Naruto created three clones and sent them to attack. Suigetsu pulled Samehada from his shoulder and swung laterally taking out the middle clone while the second clone leapt over the sword and the third went beneath it. Suddenly, before the remaining clones reached Suigetsu, they puffed out of existence leaving small smoke clouds as evidence that they even existed. The memories that returned to Naruto surprised him as the middle clone recalled being hit but the other two hadn't felt a thing. Suigetsu smiled as he replaced Samehada back on his shoulder and just looked at them. Then Naruto created six clones and instructed them to surround Suigetsu before attacking. Suigetsu just stood smiling as the clones surrounded him and then attacked. Again he just swung Samehada taking out two while the other four dodged and again the remaining clones suddenly vanished leaving the characteristic smoke cloud in the wake.
 
 
Suigetsu grinned and said “What's the matter? Is something wrong with your clones?”
 
 
Naruto glared at Suigetsu then, leaning over and whispering something to Hinata, Naruto created six more clones. Once more the clones surrounded Suigetsu first, then attacked and once more Suigetsu swung the sword laterally taking out two clones. All the remaining clones disappeared save one which suddenly change into Hinata. Hinata had used Henge to change into one of the clones while Naruto had created a clone of Hinata to stand by his side. Having ducked under the sword Hinata was now face to face with Suigetsu so she attacked his chest using her family's taijutsu, The Gentle Fist, pumping chakra into his body. However none of her blows were having any effect and Hinata realized she couldn't see his tenketsus anymore. Having recovered from the subterfuge Suigetsu backhanded Hinata away from him causing her to fly towards Naruto who immediately caught her.
 
 
Naruto said “Hinata! Are you all right?!” as he placed her feet on the ground and checked her over while the Hinata clone disappeared.
 
 
Standing unsteadily Hinata answered “Yes, Naruto-kun, I'm fine just dazed.”
 
 
Naruto asked “What happened? What went wrong?”
 
 
Hinata shook her head slowly and replied “I… don't… know. As I was starting my kata suddenly I couldn't see his tenketsus and as I struck him I could tell that my chakra wasn't flowing.”
 
 
Feigning concern, Suigetsu called out “Oh, I hope I haven't hurt her too bad, she worth more to me alive then dead. I mean I gotta have my fun with her before I turn her over to my friends.”
 
 
This comment enraged Naruto and stepping away from Hinata he took out two kunais, covering both with wind chakra in order to increase their sharpness, and flung them at Suigetsu. However Naruto was shocked when both blades simply hit Samehada and fell harmlessly to the ground when Suigetsu use the sword to block the attack.
 
 
“That shouldn't have happened! Those kunais should have put a hole through that sword!” thought Naruto.
 
 
The laughter coming from Suigetsu made Naruto and Hinata look towards him but soon he stopped laughing and said “What's the matter? You can't figure out why your ninjutsu won't work?”
 
 
Then Suigetsu removed the bandages from his sword revealing that the blade was covered in what looked like white fish scales in the shape of kunai blades.
 
 
“This is Samehada which once belonged to one of the Seven Deadly Swordsmen of the Mist and now belongs to me” Suigetsu said with pride.
 
 
“The reason your ninjutsu won't work is because Samehada eats chakra” he finished.
 
 
Now Naruto knew why that sword looked familiar, it had once belonged to Hoshigaki Kisame, Uchiha Itachi's dead partner. Naruto had only seen that sword once when Itachi and Kisame had tried to kidnapped Naruto when he was twelve but were thwarted by the Sannin Jiraiya.
 
 
This fight wasn't going the way Naruto wanted. He needed time to think so he created a large number of clones, half of them looking like Hinata. Suigetsu smiled because now he had a fight on his hand. This would give him a chance to use offensive and well as defensive moves with Samehada in order to get a true feel for wielding her. Suigetsu dove into the crowd swing and slashing about but not without thought. He knew that even if Samehada could eat the chakra of the clones and thereby disperse them the real Naruto and Hinata could still slip by and stab him with their kunais. So being careful to block as well as slash, Suigetsu torn into the mass of bodies dispelling clones and unwittingly creating a cloud of smoke. During the melee and resulting fog of smoke, Naruto and Hinata slipped into the bushes to ponder their next move.
 
 
Naruto had a plan but first he needed to disable that sword and in order to pull that off it was necessary to be in Sage Mode. However he needed five minutes of stillness to achieve that state so he created two Kage Bushins and told them to gather Natural Chakra. Then he signaled for Hinata to join him. When she reached his position in the bushes he told her what he had done and that they needed to keep Suigetsu occupied for at least five minutes. Hinata nodded and then she and Naruto moved out into the open to engage Suigetsu again.
 
 
“Ah, there you are” said Suigetsu, “I didn't think you would run away.”
 
 
Hinata and Naruto moved apart so that Suigetsu was between them and then started tandem attacks with Hinata, a kunai in each hand, using her natural flexibility to avoid being hit by Samehada. Naruto also had a kunai in each hand as he continued using his taijutsu to attack Suigetsu mixing in a few moves he had learned while brawling in the streets of Konoha when he was little. Suigetsu for the most part was just playing with them because this gave him an excellent chance to practice using Samehada in a real battle.
 
 
When the clones were ready Naruto signaled for Hinata to pull back and then he said “Okay bastard, you think you're so tough with that big sword? Well, let see if you can handle this?”
 
 
At that moment Naruto released one of the clones and all the Natural Chakra it had gathered flowed into him changing him into Sage Mode. Then Naruto charged straight at Suigetsu.
 
 
Suigetsu just smiled and said “If you want to die so quickly then come on” as he swung the sword in sideways batting motion.
 
 
When Naruto got close he put up his right arm to block Samehada using the effects of Sage Mode to prevent his skin from being cut.
 
 
Suigetsu said “Not bad, that technique let you block Samehada but you won't be able to do that after Samehada eats your chakra.”
 
 
Suigetsu was right but that is exactly what Naruto was hoping would happened. He had used this same trick on Preta Path Pein causing him to turn to stone when Preta Path Pein absorbed the Natural Chakra from Naruto's body. When Naruto could feel the last of the Natural Chakra leaving his body he pushed away and leapt back toward Hinata. Pulling away from Samehada had caused the sword's scales to shred the jacket and the skin on his arm but that didn't matter with his healing abilities.
 
 
As Naruto stood next Hinata to watch the results Samehada started to make a clicking sound to which Suigetsu said “Huh, oh really?”
 
 
Then Suigetsu plucked one of Samehada's scales off and looked at it. Suigetsu looked back at Naruto and said “It seems your little trick didn't work. Samehada said your chakra tasted funny so she stored it in one of her scales and that scale turned to stone.”
 
 
“Here check it out for yourself” he said and then Suigetsu threw the scale at Naruto as if it were a kunai.
 
 
Naruto just parried the scales using his own kunai and then intensely stared at Suigetsu.
 
 
When Hinata came up behind Naruto, he spoke softly saying “Hinata, I have got to separate him from that sword. I have an idea but I don't know what the results will be, so when I tell you I want you to run towards Konoha as fast as you can.”
 
 
Hinata was surprised at what she heard. There was no way she was going to leave Naruto-kun alone to fight this man and she replied “No, Naruto-kun, I will not let you fight this man by yourself. I …”.
 
 
Naruto cut her off saying “Hinata, in order to beat him I will have to use the Kyuubi's power and I don't know if you will be safe if I have to go into four tail mode.”
 
 
Hinata remembered the last time Naruto went into four tail mode and tried to plead with him saying “But Naruto-kun…”
 
 
Again Naruto interrupted her saying “Please Hinata, I won't be able to fight him if I have to worry about hurting you so if you love me please do as I ask.”
 
 
Hinata hated that argument but she also knew that without the use of her family's taijutsu this fight was out of her league so she said “Okay Naruto-kun, I will go but I'm coming back with help.”
 
 
“Good, because after I kick his ass I may need some help changing back” he replied without taking his eyes off Suigetsu.
 
 
“Are you two finished because this fight is beginning to bore me” Suigetsu said.
 
 
“I thought that the Great Uzumaki Naruto, who was strong enough to defeat Pein, was going to give me a challenge” Suigetsu taunted.
 
 
Naruto glared at Suigetsu and said “Okay bastard, if you want a fight, then I give you one!” and with that Naruto released his second clone and charged directly at Suigetsu.
 
 
Watching Naruto charging forward, Suigetsu gripped Samehada and swung the sword in an overhead motion to bring it edgewise down directly upon Naruto's head. When Naruto was close enough he caught Samehada's downward motion between the palms of his hand fully stopping it.
 
 
This surprised Suigetsu but he quickly recovered and said “You tried that trick before and it didn't work. When Samehada is finished taking your chakra I am going to rip your arms off!”
 
 
Naruto stared Suigetsu in the eyes and replied “You want my chakra? Well then here it is!”
 
 
Suddenly red chakra flared out of Naruto`s body coalescing into a cloak of chakra in the shape of a fox with two tails whipping around wildly. This transformation caught Suigetsu by surprise however the tails soon started to shrink as Samehada drained the chakra away. Anticipating this Naruto forced his body to go into three tails mode and again the Kyuubi's chakra flared around him.
 
 
Samehada started making a clicking sound and then Suigetsu replied “Really? Hey, baka, all you are doing is making Samehada happy. She says you must be a jinchuuriki because she hasn't had anything this tasty since she fought the hachibi's jinchuuriki with Kisame.”
 
 
Samehada didn't really use names when talking about people; she identified them by the taste of their chakra. Kisame was called the one who tasted like a shark while Suigetsu was referred to as the one who tasted like water. She referred to the hachibi as the one who tasted like an octopus and she just discovered that Naruto tasted like a fox.
 
 
Hinata felt helpless as she watched Naruto battle Suigetsu alone. No, she didn't feel helpless, she felt useless. Without the use of her family's taijutsu all she could do was watch. She started to wonder if she was the right girlfriend for Naruto, someone who couldn't help him when he needed it most. Oh sure, she knew she could battle other ninjas at Jounin level like when Rock had attacked Konoha. However the power level of the type of ninjas that were once after Naruto and the ones who would probably come after him in the future were entirely different. As she remembered how ineffective she had been against Deva Pein, the strength of the other members of the Akatsuki and even the final battle between Naruto and Sasuke, she wondered if maybe she should let him go so that he could find a more appropriate girlfriend. He needed a girlfriend who could stand beside him, fighting shoulder to shoulder with him, not someone who had to be protected. Right now Naruto-kun was in his three tails mode and she couldn't even use her Byakugan because of the damage it might cause her eyes. After this battle was over she vowed she would breakup with him so that he wouldn't be burden by her any longer.
 
 
Naruto's three tails mode lasted a little longer than the two tails mode but soon it too started to dissipate. But this time was different as Naruto noticed that the flow of chakra into Samehada had slowed down and this is exactly what Naruto was waiting for as he started to force Kyuubi's chakra into the sword. Suigetsu was laughing as he watched the red chakra cloak shrink however he started to notice that Samehada clicking sounded different. It seemed as if she was in distress.
 
 
As he listened closely he could tell she was in pain and yelled “Bastard, what the hell are you doing?”
 
 
Naruto just smiled and said “I'm just giving her what she wants, MY CHAKRA!”
 
 
Then Naruto yelled to Hinata “Hinata run! Get away now!”
 
 
With one last forlorn look at Naruto Hinata sped away towards Konoha. As soon as Naruto saw Hinata leave the area he went into four tail mode with the chakra cloak becoming blood red and opaque giving Naruto the look of a caricature of a fox that had a face with human features. Samehada gave out what Suigetsu would characterize as a scream and expanded the scales between Naruto's hands cutting into his palms and extending through to the other side in an effort to get him to let go but Naruto held tight.
 
 
Suigetsu screamed “Bastard let go! Let go!” as he tried in vain to pull the sword out of Naruto's grip but Naruto held on and poured more chakra into Samehada.
 
 
Then Suigetsu noticed that Samehada's hilt started to get warm and a red glow, not from chakra but from heat, began to encompass the whole sword starting slowly from the point of Naruto's hands. Suigetsu started to panic and began yanking on the sword trying desperately to separate Samehada from her tormentor. Samehada's body was glowing red and her hilt was hot but Suigetsu was not letting go as he had waited a long time to obtain this sword and he wasn't about to lose it for any reason. Suddenly Suigetsu heard Naruto roar, then he heard Samehada cry out in agony, next he saw a bright light and felt, more than heard, the explosion.