Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Diplomacy ❯ Future Plans ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]
NARUTO
DIPLOMACY

CHAPTER FIVE

BY
Sgamer82

     Hina ta and Hanabi had helped Chie back into her apartment. When asked what had happened, Chie explained that her mother’s killer had been a Dôjutsu user and, ever since her death, Chie became very anxious whenever such powers were displayed. The Hyuga sisters both bowed deep and apologized for their use of the Byakugan.

     “Byakugan< /i>?” Chie asked, “Is that what it’s called?”

     “It is our clan’s Kekkei Genkai.” Hinata explained with a nod.

     Chie was a bit surprised to learn it wasn’t simple technique, but a full fledged inherited power.

     “People with Kekkei Genkai aren’t common in Kiri.” she explained, “In fact, people usually regard them with a good deal of hate.”

     Hanabi suddenly looked slightly nervous.

     “Don’t worry.” Chie said, noticing, “I don’t feel that way. Dôjutsu makes me nervous, sure. But I wouldn’t hate someone just because they could do it.”

     Hanabi looked relieved.

     “Now that that’s done,” Hinata said, “Hanabi, why were you here?”

     Hanabi suddenly looked very nervous. Hinata waited, trying to let her go at her own pace. Though, to Hanabi’s point of view it felt like her big sister was staring her down waiting for an answer.

     “Father and I were at the home of a friend of his. Sari… Saru… something…” she couldn’t remember his full name, but Hinata let out a small gasp.

     “Saruwatari-san!” Hinata asked. Hanabi nodded.

     “That’s it. He and father were Genin together, I think.”

     “He never even mentioned it.” Hinata interrupted. Hanabi let out a small “humph” and continued after a quick apology from her sister.

     “He said you had some big job. Keeping an eye on a ninja from another country.”

     “I think she means me.” Chie whispered loudly. Hanabi tried not to laugh.

     “When we left, I asked Father if I could… well… If I could…”

     “See the big, bad, foreign ninja?” Chie asked. Hanabi nodded.

     “Is Father here?” Hinata asked, feeling a sudden bout of nervousness herself.

     “No, he had other stuff to do.”

     “So you’re here alone?” Hinata asked.

     “Nee-saaaann…R 21; Hanabi drawled, as though Hinata had said something very foolish, “You know I’m never alone!”

     She jerked her thumb to the window. Hinata realized what she meant but Chie craned her neck to see a woman sitting on a rooftop across the street.

     “Who’s that?” Chie asked.

     “Kiriko-nee-san.” Hinata answered, “A member of our clan’s Branch Family.”

     “How come her eyes aren’t white like yours?”

     It was a legitimate question. Nearly all Hyuga had milky white eyes, but Kiriko had dark brown eyes.

     “Kiriko-nee-san isn’t a Hyuga by blood. She married a cousin of ours, another in the Branch family, Hyuga Taiki.”

     “And judging by our little Firecracker’s comment about not being alone, I think it’s safe to assume she’s a kind of bodyguard?”

     “With her husband, yes.” Hinata answered with a nod. Hanabi looked confused.

     “Fai… ya..?” she muttered.

     “Chie-san likes giving people nicknames.” Hinata whispered to her.

     “Really?!” Hanabi said far more loudly, “Neat!”

     “Don’ ;t be too impressed. Firecracker’s just another word for ‘Hanabi.’” Chie said, “Not as hard to come up with as ‘Phantom’ but I think it fits you just as well.”

     Hanabi laughed, a small blush tinting her cheeks. Hinata figured she must like the name.

     “Phantom…” Hinata heard Hanabi mutter. Hinata’s expression soured when she realized her little sister was laughing at her nickname.

     The next hour passed with Hanabi asking Chie various questions about the land of Mist. Most of them were questions Hinata herself had asked, such as the general terrain and interesting sights. There also some Hinata had thought of but hadn’t had the nerve to ask. For Hanabi, though, that wasn’t a problem.

     “Have you ever fought any Leaf ninja?” Hanabi asked.

     “Not really.” Chie replied, “Excluding your Nukenin, I’ve never seen ninja from Konoha before. I’ve had a mission or two where I met some Suna-nin from the Wind country, though.”

     Hanabi listened attentively as Chie began a tale about a mission into the Lightning Country border with her sensei and teammates that wound up with them facing Sand ninja after the same goal as them.

     “Well, that’s not entirely true.” Chie amended, “We actually acted as decoys for that very situation, while another group went after the target.”

     “What’d you get?!”

     “Nope, sorry!” Chie said as she held up her finger, “But that’s classified. A secret!”

     Hanabi pouted but didn’t press. Hinata was a bit disappointed as well, but less surprised. She was keeping secrets from Chie for that very reason. It was fully expected that her new friend would be doing exactly the same, given their situation.

     “Tell another one!” Hanabi insisted, wanting another story.

     “No.” Hinata said, “It’s about time we went home, Hanabi.”

     Hanabi threw herself onto the floor with a disgruntled “Awww!”, but complied when Hinata insisted.

     Chie cheerfully wished them a good night as they left and Hinata noticed she watched them from the window waving as they walked home.

----------

     I watched the girls leave with a sense of delight. I could not believe my luck. My objective has just been made several times easier. Looking at the young woman across the street, I realized that not only had my target put itself into place, but now so had the perfect patsy.

     With a smile I thought of what those foolish Hyuga would think, when they eventually realized (and I would make sure they did) that while they had been busy going after the wrong person, I had caused one of their own to be lost to them forever.

     I began to laugh. Soon, very soon, now. My revenge would be complete. Those white-eyed bastards would regret the day they took away what was most precious to me.

----------

     "Do you think I can come and see Chie-nee-chan again?” Hanabi asked her big sister as they walked home.

     “If Saruwatari-san and Chie-san are both okay with it, I think that’ll be all right.” Hinata told her.