Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Diplomacy ❯ Attack ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
NARUTO
DIPLOMACY

CHAPTER EIGHT

BY
Sgamer82

      220;You’re late.” he said from his hiding place.

     “It’s hard to get away from prying eyes. As you well know.” I told him in reply.

     “Yes, yes, you’re right.” he said. From that second exchange I located my partner. He was crouched down in a corner of the alley. Hunched over, looking like a common beggar, to avoid detection. When I told him it was clear, that nobody was close enough to see or over hear us, he chuckled.

     “I already knew.” he said to me, standing up to his full height, running his hand through his currently messy hair.

     “You promised me…” I told him. There was only one thing he could do to be so certain.

     “Relax, my love. I only meant that I’d arrived early, and made sure this alley was abandoned.”

     A sigh of relief escaped me. I felt foolish. Of all the people in the world, how could I not trust him. For my revenge… for our revenge, he was risking his very life. To let me know I was forgiven, he approached and embraced me. We remained that way for a moment, I could feel him breathing in fragrances of the perfumes and shampoos I used.

     “It really would go easier if you’d just let me use it. It would help us ensure our success.” he said, “But I know how you feel…”

     “I can’t look at you when you use it.” I told him, fighting back emotion as I did.

     “Yes, I know. And I promised I would not.”

     “So, are we ready.” I asked, wanting badly to change the subject.

     “Yes, I’ve thought of just what we need to do to get out of the way anyone who would stand between us and our goal. You just need to stay close to her until it’s time.”

     “I shall. Though I admit, now that we’re so close, I find it hard to hold back the urge to just rip out her throat.”

     “I know, my love, I know.” he said.

     “Where are you?!” a voice called out, startling us. My other recognized it more than I.

     “Him again.” he sighed, “I’ll need to be on my way. If we’re seen together in this place it might raise unwanted questions.”

     “Agreed.R 21; We leapt to the roofs and parted to attend to our individual business just as a boy in a gray coat appeared, a small puppy at his side, looking for someone in the alley.

     “Damn… thought I heard him here…” I heard him mutter as he left.

----------

     The days passed normally until the festival finally came. Hinata was more excited than she thought she would be. It had been longer than she’d realized since she wore anything save her ninja clothes and weapons (which she kept on her even as she worked in the Diplomatic Offices). Tonight, though, she was just another girl. No weapons, no ninjutsu, just Hyuga Hinata and her friend.

     That was something else that excited her. This would be her very first time going with a friend. She had attended before with Kurenai, Shino, and Kiba (and entertained the occasional fantasy about going with Naruto), but it wasn’t quite the same as having with her another girl of close age. Someone she could speak to without any conversation going into “shop talk” (In fact, Hinata had little fear of this, as both girls had made every attempt to avoid talking too much about their respective ninja cultures).

     Her teammates, who were accompanying her at least to start with, noticed and commented on her good mood. Kiba’s comments being more of the teasing variety, while Shino simply observed her high spirits. There were five of them at the moment (six if Akamaru was counted). Hanabi, who Hinata was taking to the festivities, but who had made a point of explaining that she only wanted company until they got to the village’s main street, where the majority of game booths would be.

     “The moment we’re there, I am on my own! No grown-ups, no supervision! Just me!”

     Hinata cast a glance behind them and saw Kiriko staying close behind but not intruding. For a moment, Hinata considered inviting her, but she knew Kiriko would refuse. Her duty tonight was watching Hanabi, but otherwise letting the little girl do as she pleased. She couldn’t partake in the fun without letting her attention slip.

     Shino was the only one wearing his normal clothes instead of a yukata. He insisted it would not look right on him, and Hinata was inclined to agree. Kiba, however, was more traditional, wearing a yukata that was significantly less decorated than Hanabi’s sakura kimono. Hinata herself wore a simple pale pink robe, mostly undecorated save a sash with cloud designs. Both sisters had in their hair a flower chosen from the garden on the Hyuga estate’s garden. The feral boy Madoshi was present as well and once again in Kiba’s charge. He was walking, on all fours, in front of Kiba and behind Akamaru. Kiba was doing his best to make sure the boy couldn’t run off on him again. Their teacher Kurenai, unfortunately, was in the hospital recovering from minor injuries she had taken on a her last mission, so she was unable to come tonight.

     They had one more stop to make, and that was to retrieve Chie. When the approached the tenement she was in, Hinata walked up the stairs to her door on her own. She was nervous about Chie meeting her teammates and friends. She had sworn Hanabi to secrecy and told them Chie was just a visiting dignitary, but Hinata worried the two boys would see through her story.

     Fortunately, Chie looked very much the civilian when she stepped out. A dark gray yukata decorated in Chie’s customary origami cranes.

     “Very nice, Chie-san.” Hinata said.

     “Thanks.” Chie replied, “I usually keep it with me just in case I need to be a normal girl for a mission.”

     “Is that what you would call this?” Hinata asked as they went towards the stairs.

     “Only because I’m in Konoha on business.” Chie told her, “Still, this is probably the first time I’ve ever worn this without having some ulterior motive.”

     Their conversation changed subjects when they reached the stairs. Chie couldn’t be heard discussing ninja and ulterior motives with such familiarity. Hinata’s attempt at deception proved short-lived, however. As soon as they were close Kiba’s dog, Akamaru, began barking. Kiba suddenly got a serious expression on his face and put himself between Chie and Madoshi. Hinata saw one of Shino’s eyebrows raise.

     “That ain’t no dignitary.” Kiba growled. Hinata suddenly felt her heart race. She knew Kiba’s dog could sense a person’s chakra. But she hadn’t realized it could tell the difference between a civilian and a ninja.

     “Hinata.” Shino said, clearly expecting an explanation. Hinata gave it, briefly explaining the arrangement between Mist ninja Chie and Leaf village leaders without going into detail.

     “In exchange for allowing her access to certain materials, she’s giving us vital information regarding some outside threats to the village.”

     “Such as herself?” Kiba muttered.

     “Kiba-kun!” Hinata gasped.

     “She is a foreign ninja, Hinata,” Shino told her, “We have every reason to be wary.”

     “Yeah.” Kiba said, “How do we know she’s not armed?”

     “Wanna search me?” Chie asked, speaking up for the first time. With a smirk on her face, she held out her arms, as if offering to allow Kiba to frisk her.

     “Wh-uh-um…” Kiba suddenly stammered, caught off guard by the question and gesture.

     “Perhaps,” Shino interjected, “If Hinata uses her Byakugan, she can ascertain what you do or don’t have.”

     “Fine by me.” Chie said, though her voice wavered the tiniest bit. Hinata knew she was nervous about seeing the Byakugan again. However, it was unavoidable.

     “Very well.” Hinata said, more angrily than she’d intended. She understood their reasoning, but it hurt that her friends weren’t trusting Chie not to do anything wrong.

     “Hanabi, if you’ll join me.” Hinata said, “If we both search her and find nothing, neither Shino-kun nor Kiba-kun should be able to complain.”

     Hanabi, who had remained unusually silent throughout this confrontation, nodded. The sisters each activated their Kekkei Genkai and examined any and all potential hiding places within Chie’s clothing.

     “Besides a change purse, all Chie-san has in her possession are a canteen and her Hitai-ate.” Hinata reported.

     “What she said.” Hanabi confirmed.

     The boys seemed satisfied, however they still eyed Chie warily. They made their way toward the festival at last, Shino and Kiba made sure Chie took point. Hinata and Hanabi stayed beside her.

     “Your teammates are dorks, Nee-san.” Hanabi whispered.

     “Don’t be too hard on them.” Chie said.

     “B-But they-.”

     “Acted no differently than just about every other person who’s met me in this village.” Chie told her, “I’m a foreigner, a potential enemy. Of course they’re going to be suspicious. If anything, you’re in the wrong for being so trusting of me.”

     Hanabi didn’t respond. Hinata knew that Hanabi, as well as Hinata herself, didn’t see Chie as a bad person.

     “Still, suspicious or not, they had no reason to be so hostile.” Hinata said.

     “Maybe.” Chie replied. Hinata was surprised to see Chie taking this so calmly. Hinata decided to follow her example and let the matter drop for now. Hanabi, however, didn’t seem so forgiving. Hinata decided a change in subject was in order.

     “Chie-san, why do you have your Hitai-ate with you?” Hinata asked, referring to the headband she and Hanabi had seen wrapped around her left arm, “I believe you were under instructions not to carry it around.”

     “Yeah, and at first I did. But I’ve carried it for so long I just feel kinda naked without it.” Chie explained. Hinata could understand, it was a badge of honor all ninja carried at all times. To be without it simply felt wrong. Hinata couldn’t help but run her fingers over the headband she kept tied around her neck at all times.

     “Of course,” Chie explained, “that feels rather pointless, now that I realize I’m spending my evening with people who could look through my clothing at will…”

     Hanabi laughed at the remark and Hinata could swear she heard a snicker from behind her, though when she looked back Kiba was as stone-faced as Shino.

     The next few hours passed without major incident. As soon as they reached the fairgrounds, Hanabi made good on her word and ran off on her own. Hinata saw her protector Kiriko right behind, inconspicuously following. Hinata’s group took part in the festivities, first heading right for the games.

     Hinata wasn’t sure whether to gauge Kiba’s hostility towards Chie greater or less than it had been initially. With the two boys now knowing Chie’s identity, she had no reason to hold back when they played festival games, so the two had wound up developing something of a rivalry. The two would play each game several times over, both often declaring “best two out of three” then “three out of five” and so on when things didn’t go their way, until Hinata and Shino pulled them away towards something else. The pattern would then start anew. Chie and Kiba traded jibes and insults during these games, but while they were sometimes fairly heated as the competition grew, Hinata recognized them as the kinds of taunts Kiba used against peple he knew would retaliate. She was actually reminded of the conversations between Kiba and Naruto.

     Eventually, Chie sealed their friendship/rivalry, by christening Kiba with the nickname “Fang,” in honor of his sharp teeth and affinity for canines. Kiba seemed a bit surprised at first, then smiled.

     “Heh. Okay, fine. Now come up for one for Shino.”

     Shino, who stood by much of this time, suddenly became the center of unwanted attention. His sudden discomfort only egged the two new comrades on.

     “Okay,” Chie said, going deep into thought, “Shades? No… Hmm…”

     “He has a thing for bugs.” Kiba told her, getting into it.

     “Really?”

& nbsp;    “Oh yeah. They actually live inside his body!”

     “Woah… So he’s like a walking bee… ha! Hive!”

     “Perfect!” Kiba declared.

     The pair then walked to the next booth, Kiba beckoning “Hive” to join them.

     “Um… s-sorry Shino-kun.” Hinata said as they followed, “She does that with everyone.”

     “I see.” Shino said, then, “Everyone, huh?”

     “Yes. She calls Hanabi ‘Firecracker.’”

     &# 8220;And you?”

     “Phantom.” Hinata admitted with a blush. Shino didn’t make fun. He wasn’t the type. But Hinata knew him well enough to know he found “Phantom” quite humorous. He also knew Hinata well enough to know she felt the same about “Hive.”

     After a round of goldfish scooping (won by Chie), everyone agreed it was a good time to break for food. One concession stand later, everyone was eating various treats one found at festivals. All except Kiba, who was working to make Madoshi understand they could only take what they paid for.

     “That’s for other people!” Kiba said, with a confirming yip by Akamaru. He was trying to bodily pull the feral boy away from the stand. Madoshi whined, fortunately Akamaru’s barking proved more convincing than Kiba’s words. Madoshi went limp and reluctantly let Kiba lead him away.

     Hinata noticed Chie, had her hand over her mouth, trying hard not to break out into laughter. Or rather, it looked like Chie was trying hard not to break out into laughter. Chie’s other hand went to her stomach, and Hinata noticed a growing distress in her eyes. Shino, also noticing, pointed Chile to the nearest bathroom, which she immediately ran for. Hinata and the others gathered outside the door and waited for her trouble to abate.

     “What’s going on?” said Kiba, last to arrive with Madoshi in tow.

     “Tsurukawa’s food did not agree with her.” Shino replied, emphasized by the less than pleasant sound of Chie vomiting.

     “Ew…” Kiba muttered in response, then “Oh no!” when Kiba looked to his side and realized the feral boy had disappeared yet again. Hinata knew better than to mention the practicality of a leash to prevent the dog-boy’s wanderings. She’d seen more than one bystander receive the Inuzuka’s wrath after they made such suggestions regarding Akamaru.

     “Come on, Hinata!” Kiba exclaimed as he grabbed Hinata’s arm and pulled at her.

     “But Kiba-ku-”

     “Your Byakugan’ll things up!!” Kiba told her, “It’ll take forever to find him otherwise.”

     Before given the chance to refute or refuse Kiba she was dragged off, leaving only Shino with the sick Chie. As he watched them leave, Shino backed to the door to Chie’s bathroom, determined to remain on guard.

     Hinata may believe her trustworthy. She may even be nothing more than what she appears. But that is no reason to not be care-

     Shino was suddenly jolted from his thoughts by a sharp pain in the back of his neck. He fell to his knees, then fell face-down in the dirt, unconscious.

----------

     A ccording to the Byakugan, Madoshi was back at the food stalls sniffing around for treats. Akamaru had hurried after him, but hadn’t had the chance to warn Kiba.

     Hinata and Kiba were now running side-by-side, rather than her being pulled by him. Hinata was resolved to find the feral child quickly and return to her rightful charge. Hinata wondered if they should try to stay out of sight so he would not run away upon spotting them.

     “Don’t bother,” Kiba said, “His vision’s not the best. Plus he’d detect us by scent or sound long before he saw us. That’s why it’s so hard to catch him when he runs off, he uses scent as much as a real dog or an Inuzuka.”

     Hinata understood. Madoshi would likely catch wind of them and bolt, so it would then fall to Hinata to use her Byakugan to keep track of where he goes. Fortunately, her eyesight with Kiba’s tracking would make this an easy venture.

     As expected, the boy detected the pair’s scent and ran off. Behind him, Akamaru was chasing after and barking away. Following the sound and Hinata’s directions following the boy was easy. Actually catching him was proving difficult. The two kept to rooftops, hoping to more easily reach Madoshi, who kept to the streets and alleys. Whenever they got particularly close, they would hear sounds of yipping from Madoshi, making Hinata believe the wild boy was enjoying himself, thinking of this chase as a big game.

     But this is not a game. Hinata thought in frustration, I have to help Kiba-kun find him so I can go back to Chi-

     Hinata suddenly stopped leaping the roofs, her Byakugan’s range of vision was showing her far more than the playful Madoshi, and what she was seeing now was distressing her greatly. Kiba, two buildings away, had just noticed his partner’s stop and raced back.

     “Hinata!! What’re- What’s wrong?!” Kiba asked, changing mid-sentence what he was about to say as he noticed the fear on Hinata’s face.

     “I-It can’t be…” Hinata muttered, unmoving.

     “What? What can’t be?” but Hinata was in no frame of mind for explanations.

     “Kiba-kun, I have to go! Get Madoshi then go back to the bathroom! Shino-kun’s unconscious!”

     “What?! What about Tsuruka-wait!”

     Hinata had already dashed off before Kiba could finish.

     “And they say I’m impulsive!” Kiba muttered. Despite his words, though, he knew that Hinata was not the type to run off like she did. Something was happening, and with her Byakugan she saw it. Kiba stood there for a moment, wondering and more than a little worried about what was happening. He was reminded of his current predicament by Akamaru’s impatient barking. Remembering Hinata’s parting instructions, he dashed off to get to get Madoshi, knowing now that the young dog boy might actually be in danger now.

----------


     Els ewhere, the festival was in full swing, oblivious to any dangers around them. In particular a group of children competing in the goldfish catching games. Three of them, two boys and a girl, were wearing goggles on their heads. The leader of which, named Konoaharu, played against a fourth, a girl named Hyuga Hanabi, to see who could capture the most before time ran out or their scoop broke. Neither child was overly interested in the goldfish or the prizes in the game. They were instead playing for a different prize altogether. The pair had made a wager, the boy betting his pair of goggles, while the girl was putting up the prizes she’d already won to date (which were quite enough to easily split between the three friends).

     Finally, Hanabi emerged victorious, when Konohamaru’s paper scoop tore under the weight of a particularly big fish. He reluctantly handed over his goggles to a smug Hanabi, who immediately put them around her neck. Her three playmates looked at her oddly.

     “Thery’re supposed to go on your head.” said the girl, Moegi, gesturing to her own goggles, “Like this!”

     “This is how my nee-san wears her Hitai-ate.” Hanabi replied, “So that’s why I’m doing it this way.” she finished by sticking her tongue out. However none were offended and against the four began discussing what game to try next.

     The happy mood was shattered when a figure appeared. Hanabi didn’t notice the person, instead feeling an odd weight on the top of her head. Konohamaru and his friends, on the other hand, looked up in shock at the sight of a girl older than them standing one-legged on top of their new friend. With her other leg, the girl unleashed a sweeping kick with such force the shockwave alone sent the children onto their backs.

     Hanabi, who had realized something was wrong when the children looked horrified and then fell over, was pushed forward herself, when the girl standing on her jumped. Hanabi fell into the dirt face first, she tried to get to her feet and move but no sooner had she gotten herself pushed up on her hands than she was suddenly forced down again, this time with an unbearable weight on her back. The girl had leapt off of Hanabi’s head, flipped and come down onto the child’s back with her left hand. Hanabi, through the pain of the blow, felt the back of her kimono tighten when the girl grabbed the child’s clothing with that same left hand. With a push, the girl flipped herself upright, taking Hanabi with her and stowing the child under her arm. The capture complete, she ran into the nearest thicket of bushes and trees she could and disappeared.

     It had taken less than five seconds for all of this to occur, in that time, the witnesses could do nothing but watch the girl kidnap the second child of the Hyuga. Hanabi herself, filled with shock and pain from the sudden attack, didn’t realize just who had taken her until she had looked up and saw the face of her abductor.

     Chi-nee??!!