Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Diplomacy ❯ Double-Take ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]
NARUTO
DIPLOMACY

CHAPTER TWELVE

BY
Sgamer82

     Hi nata and Chie leapt through the forest. They had encountered very little in the way of traps Kiriko or Taiki may have set behind them. Chie attributed this more to Hinata’s skill navigating the woods than any carelessness on their enemies’ part. Chie had noticed it the first time, when they raced to the playground for fun, and again thought the white-eyed girl was almost a completely different person when they traveled the woods. Whatever shyness or lack of confidence she had normally was simply not present when she journeyed through the treetops.

     Aside from their brief stop at the bushes she had inspected, Hinata only once called for a halt to quickly describe the plan she had devised. Chie had to admit, for something thrown together in only minutes, it was good. She worried about how to get close. Hinata was, too. She activated her own Byakugan as they closed in on Hanabi’s location.

     “Odd…” Hinata said as they approached the point Hinata had chosen to stop before beginning their plan.

     “What?”

& nbsp;    “Their conversation…”

     “Yo u can hear them?” Chie asked.

     “I can read lips.” Hinata told her. Chie didn’t respond. Made sense that someone with a vision-related Kekkei Genkai would be trained in that skill.

     “So what’s odd about it?”

     “Except for his jutsu earlier, it seems Taiki-nii-san hasn’t used his Byakugan since Shunichi-kun’s death.”

     “Guess that explains how we managed to get here undetected…” Chie remarked, “Does this change the plan?”

     “No.” Hinata replied, “We best go as intended. If Taiki-nii-san’s not using the Byakugan, it only makes things easier. If he chooses to do so as we act, then our current plan will suffice.”

     “Understood.&# 8221;

     The two girls stared at one another for a moment before they went on. Hinata broke away first.

     “Chie-san… I… I just want…”

     “You don’t need to say it.” Chie told her with a smile, “You’d do the same for me. That’s why I’m doing it for you.”

     With that Chie left, to hide for her part in their rescue attempt. Hinata hesitated a moment. She looked at where Chie had disappeared into the foliage.

     Perhaps she didn’t need to hear it, but…


     “Chie. Thank you.”

     Hinata went the other way, and their mission commenced.

----------

     Han abi was frozen in fright. Too scared now to scream, resist, or move in any way. As soon as she saw the end of the brand, she knew exactly what her once-protectors intended for her. She could only watch, as the two performed the necessary rituals which would imbue the brand with the properties of the Juin. Rituals that would ensure that no jutsu, medical or otherwise, would remove the mark from her forehead until the day she died. Rituals which would enable those of the Main Family to kill her with a gesture, if they so desired. Which would forever relegate her to the lower class of her clan.

     Her eyes couldn’t break away from the white flame in which the brand warmed up. She noticed nothing, including a dull thud sound, and a sudden shout of alarm from Kiriko. It wasn’t until she heard a voice that her attention shifted.

     “Taiki-nii-san! Kiriko-nee-san! You must stop this!”

     Nee-san!! Hanabi’s horror immediately turned into relief, when she recognized the sound of her sister’s voice.

     “Hinata-sama…R 21; Taiki muttered, “I thought I saw you using the Byakugan…” Kiriko gave a low hiss, “But you don’t know Dôjutsu enough to realize what was coming, meaning Tsurukawa Chie is close by?”

     With that his hand flicked out, releasing a kunai into the brush to his right. Chie suddenly appeared, forced to break from her hiding place to dodge the blade.

     “Damn…” Chie said, trying to as though what had just happened was no big deal, “So, did you know all along or just guess right?”

     “With the direction you would have come from, that would be the ideal point if you were to attempt to grab Hanabi-sama and run.”

     “Taiki-nii-sanR 30;” Hinata said softly, “Please… there has to be another way.”

     “NO!” Kiriko suddenly shouted, “I will not allow it! I’ll have my revenge!”

     “I’m sorry, Hinata-sama,” Taiki said with a sneer, “As you can see, my wife is quite insistent.”

     “Then… then use me!” Hinata demanded.

     “Nee-” Hanabi started but quickly silenced herself. She was about to call out for her sister when she noticed something. She decided to remain quiet. Instead she cast a nervous glance towards Chie, whom the couple were mostly ignoring. Chie gave a hand signal with her right hand, out of sight of their enemies. She looked forward, her expression serious and determined, the best she could do to acknowledge her order.

     “Use you?” Kiriko asked, oblivious to the occurrence behind them, “You’d let us?”

     “If you spare Hanabi, I promise that I will allow you to mark me into the Branch Family instead.” to make her point, she grabbed her bangs with one hand she pulled a kunai out the pouch she had taken in the other and used it to cut off the hair. Her forehead was fully exposed.

     “That would satisfy your reven-”

     “No.” Kiriko said.

     “E-Exuse…” Hinata said, quite surprised at the matter-of-fact answer.

     “May I?” Taiki asked his wife, when she nodded he continued, “Hinata-sama, while I can respect what you’re trying to do, it is pointless. It must be Hanabi-sama we brand. It is the only satisfactory way to complete our revenge.

     “Soon after Shun died, we were determined to make the Main Family, and in particular Hiashi-sama, who led it, feel the suffering they gave us. The obvious tactics, such as killing Hiashi-sama, were beyond us. We could not directly attack a member of the Main Family. Even if we succeeded, it would be considered nothing more than a small rebellion. A minor, if tragic, footnote in clan history. In fact, we would likely harm our fellow Branch by employing such a tactic, as they would suffer under whatever fallout such a rebellion inflicted.

     “But then, Kiriko came up with an inspired idea. A way to hurt him as greatly as possible.”

     Kiriko laughed, apparently pleased with the mere thought.

     “The two of us from that day dedicated ourselves to our duty as the Branch Family. Protecting the secrets of the Byakugan. Earning the trust of the Main Family at the cost of our reputation within the Branch.”

     “Lapdogs, they called us.” Kiriko said with a grin, “Blind followers of duty… but they never realized, nor the Main Family…”

     “Yes.R 21; Taiki went on, “We played our role well. None ever suspected our true goals. This was proven when their trust in us allowed us to be declared Hanabi-sama’s protectors after her birth. They had no problem placing her safety to those who intended her harm.”

     “But why? Why all this? Why Hanabi?! Why make her a Branch?!”

     “To drag out the pain.” Kiriko said, her brown eyes lighting with joy “We lost our Shun, he is dead and gone forever. When Hanabi is made one of us, however…”

     “… Our father will lose her.” Hinata finished, understanding, “But she will still live. He will still see her. Day after day, a member of the Branch. No longer his daughter in anything save blood. Beyond his reach.”

     “Exactly!” Kiriko said with a laugh, “He’ll live with the pain of losing a child. Yet every day he will see that child and be reminded of that loss.”

     “And,” Taiki finished, “Hiashi-sama will be unlikely to punish the Branch as a whole too harsh, for his child would suffer as well.”

     “I understand that…” Hinata asked, “But why Hanabi? Why not use me?!”

     “You?!” Kiriko asked incredulously, “The reason is quite simple! Who is the one favored by the Main Family?! Who of the two of you is considered superior?!”

     “Hanabi̷ 0;” Hinata admitted.

     “Correct!” Kiriko shouted, “Hiashi will lose that superior child, forever seeing her but unable to acknowledge her. Left only with the inferior heir, now the only choice for becoming leader of the clan! Were we to make you a Branch, we’d only be doing everyone a favor!”

     “NO!” shouted a voice. Everyone looked back to Hanabi.

     “Why does everyone say Nee-san’s weak?!!” she yelled, “She isn’t, she’s the strongest one here! She doesn’t like to fight, but she will! She came to save me, even when she knew it was her own family she’d have to fight! She tried to put herself in my place!! How can you call that weak!!!

     “She’ s certainly brave.” Taiki conceded, “But her ability leaves much t-”

     Taiki’s words were suddenly cut off by what appeared to be a sudden rush of wind. Within that wind were leaves that flew by with the speed and sharpness of shuriken. Both kidnapper’s dodged the sudden attack and turned on Hinata.

     “Konoha no Shuriken no Jutsu.” Hinata said in explanation, then called out “Hanabi! Chie! Now!”

     The two Hyuga suddenly turned to where Chie was standing, only to realize she was no longer there. She appeared instead from the brush in the opposite end of the field. The distance to Hanabi was far greater from that point, which is why Taiki had not anticipated it. However, it wasn’t as difficult to get to the girl than would be expected.

     The two were so surprised at Chie’s appearing in the wrong place that they failed to immediately notice Hanabi, suddenly free of the ropes binding her, getting up and running toward her. Before the kidnappers could act, their victim had met Chie halfway from where she had sat bound, leapt into her arms, and was carried off back into the forests. The only trace of anybody’s presence being some strands of cut rope and a few small leaves lodged into the ground as though thrown into it like weapons. Leaves also present at the point where “Tsurukawa Chie” had been standing moments before.

     The two turned, prepared now to focus their anger on Hinata. As they turned, Hinata ran directly between them and in the same direction Chie and Hanabi had run in.

     “After them!!” Kiriko demanded. The couple immediately gave chase.

     “Use the eyes!!” Kiriko ordered. Taiki immediately brought about his Byakugan into effect. At first he did not see them, and worried if he’d miss them due to being out of practice. Eventually he caught sight of them. They had made good distance in the short time they had to run. Then Taiki noticed…

     “They’re splitting up!”

     “Which one has the girl?”

     “Both of them!”

     “A Bunshin then. But which has the real one!?”

     “I can’t tell.” Taiki admitted.

     “Use the Hebi no Nirami, freeze them both.”

     “I can’t, they’ve gotten out of range!”

     “Then I’ll chase the Mist girl!”

     “And I shall face Hinata-sama!”

     With that Kiriko and Taiki parted ways. She chased after Chie, he pursued Hinata.

----------

     Hinata leapt through the forests as best she could. The burden she carried on her back weighed her down and slowed her slightly. But she knew these forests well enough it had only a minimal effect on her speed.

     Having long since activated her Byakugan, it was not long before she detected someone behind her. She saw Taiki pursuing her.

     Meaning Kiriko-nee-san is after Chie. she thought, then confirmed with a glance in the direction the kuno’ichi of Mist had gone in.

     Through her Byakugan, Hinata noticed Taiki weaving jutsu signs. She recognized the jutsu and made sure she was on solid ground before the chakra of the Serpent’s Glare washed over her. She had her eyes guarded just as she had the first time, rendering the jutsu blocked.

     But he needn’t know that. Hinata thought as Taiki landed behind her.

     “Hinata-sama. You did your best, I’m sure.” he said as he approached, “But Kiriko has waited too long for this day. She means too much to me. I will not see her deprived of the revenge she longs for so dearly.”

     He reached out to remove Hanabi from Hinata’s back when the child suddenly vanished in a puff of smoke. Taiki leapt back just in time to avoid another swarm of flying leaves. But he rendered himself open to Hinata’s follow up. As he recovered from the leap, Hinata charged him and attempted a Jûken blow onto his stomach. If it landed it would incapacitate him. However, Taiki was no stranger to the Gentle Fist. Anticipating where Hinata would strike he managed to use his own had to guard against hers.

     “So your Hanabi-sama was the fake…” Taiki said as he backed away from Hinata and assumed fighting stance, “Just what kind of clone was that, may I ask?”

     “Habunshin no Jutsu.” Hinata replied. “The Leaf Clones, just as the Leaf Shuriken, were jutsu I learned among the Nimmori.”

     “I assume the Tsurukawa I discovered at the playground was also such?” Hinata nodded, “Well played.” Taiki complimented her, “But now I’m afraid, I will have to end this.”

     “We needn’t fight, Taiki-nii-san!”

     “I’ ;m sorry.” he replied, “But as I said, Kiriko is too precious to me. I’ll not see her denied.”

     “Then there is no other way.” Hinata said, more a statement of fact than a question.

----------

     Else where, Chie, also carrying Hanabi on her back, leapt the trees in the direction Hinata had indicated she go. She didn’t have the Byakugan, but it was easy to detect the woman behind her. She was not even trying to be cautious, bounding through the trees with a reckless fury that ensured she would soon catch up to Chie.

     Not that I’m worried. Chie thought smugly. Hinata knew there was a good chance they’d fight, so she had the foresight to send Chie toward an ideal battleground. Which she reached as she cleared one more hurdle of tree limbs. Below her was a beautiful blue lake. Not particularly large, but suitable for Chie’s purposes.

     As Chie’s left foot hit the water, a blow suddenly hit her from the side. Kiriko had managed to catch up at last and kicked Chie in her left side. The blow sent Chie off-balance and into the water, and caused Hanabi to fly off her back. Kiriko caught the child and, as Chie struggled to get her chakra to give her proper footing on the water, the woman pulled a kunai dagger and sent it right into Hanabi’s belly.

     As Chie climbed out and stood on the surface of the water, she saw Kiriko’s features twisted into a mad glee as she dug the knife into the girl. A glee which suddenly became horror when the little girl began dissolving into water before her eyes.

     “Just couldn‘t help yourself, could you?” Chie said with a smirk.

     “Mizubunshin no Jutsu.” Kiriko said as stood on the water, staring at the bloodless dagger in her hand, “How?” They hadn’t been close to any water on the playground.

     “Simple.” Chie said as she pulled out her canteen and dangled it from a strap tied to it, “‘Water is a Kiri-nin’s greatest asset. Always carry a supply with you at all times.’ That’s what my mother taught me as a girl.”

     Chie proved her point by swinging the canteen by the strap, splashing it into the water. She then grabbed the bottle and poured out the water that had just filled it. As the contents poured out, the began to take a shape. One which took the form of a small girl with pale eyes. Chie dispelled the bunshin by again swinging her canteen through it. All the while wearing a cocky smirk on her face, for no other reason than the fact she knew it would anger her enemy.

     “So the child is with her sister.” Kiriko said, “I’ll deal with you and rejoin Taiki when he claims her.”

     “Sure, you tell yourself that, Psycho.” Chie replied as she raised her left leg, “Meantime, I have no plans on letting you go anywhere.”

     Chie folded her hands in front of her, taking of the form of the sign of the Bird, “You don’t have the White Eyes, so I don’t know what you can do. But it won’t matter much. I doubt you’ll prove able to stand up to the trademark of my clan, Tsuru-nindô!”

      220;Little whelp…” Kiriko cursed.

----------

     Far behind where the two sets of foes had begun their battles, a small girl emerged from a hole well-hidden behind a very thick group of bushes and shrubs. So thick in fact, that a casual glance, even from the Byakugan, would not betray the pit’s presence. It was near impossible to detect someone in this place unless you knew to look for them. Hinata had known this, and that was why she had Chie place her little sister into it when she got her from Taiki and Kiriko. They had instead focused on Hinata and Chie, both carrying fake Hanabis, preventing them from realizing they had completely missed the real one in their pursuit.

     She now had to proceed alone. But Hanabi was not scared. She knew her older sister was protecting her.