Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dry Ice ❯ Flying Woodchip ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: We do not own any of the Naruto characters, or any other characters and copyright entities mentioned in this story. We do own Vivian, Bibi, and Laura, this plot line, and all the books carried in their backpacks. UFOa is also copyrighted by us, the authors, along with anything to do with it or its members. We don't own or mean to offend the Amish or any manufacturers of diary products. We also didn't invent the triangle or any proofs related to it and we did not invent light sabers or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Whew, this disclaimer is going to be a page long by the completion of this story. We also don't own physics or the weather, though I wish I did have power over the whole weather thing. We did not invent combat boots, and we can not be blamed for using the word charka instead of chakra because Word automatically corrects it…grrrrrr. The fighting dances belong to Robert Jordan and his wheel of time series, though we might have altered them slightly. We also don't own the thoughts of meditating to control power, those belong to Tamora Pierce. Some of the sword techniques are also based on the Kendo style, we did not create it, merely researched it and used it in our story.
 
 
 
Chapter 11
 
 
“Let me see your sword.”
 
She looked down at it in her hands. This wasn't the sword she had at the convention. The one she had bought was plastic, light, and had a cheap fake hilt. This was sharp, heavier, longer, and had an engraved intricate design in its hilt.
 
She handed it over to Kakashi. His hand touched hers, and she quickly relinquished her grip on the sword and looked down.
 
“Hmm. Nicely shaped hilt. Good weight, though it's a little on the light side which will make it weak and flimsy.”
 
He swung it at a tree and it cut straight through like a hot knife through butter.
 
“Amazing strength and sharpness, even in spite of its weight. I'm surprised.” He held it to her side. “It's even the right length for you.”
 
He twisted it around, making sure to take in every minute detail that this piece of art beheld.
 
“It must have cost a fortune, when did you get this?” He semi-answered his own question while he continued to think aloud. “You couldn't have gotten it here because I don't know a craftsman this talented and I don't think we even possess the alloys necessary to make such a lightweight and durable blade. The hilt shows much care, precision, and time needed to craft such a delicate thing.”
You'd think it was a rare diamond by the way he holds it and drinks in its details.
 
“I got it back home.” She knew he understood that `home' meant back on her planet earth; but, what she didn't know was why she felt compelled to keep the fact that the sword had changed a secret.
 
She took a stance, knees slightly bent, feet shoulder's width apart, right arm poised with sword in hand, pointed at Kakashi. Kakashi took out two kunais.
 
"But it's not fair for me to fight you if you don't also have a sword."
 
"Fights are hardly ever fair, and the guys you're fighting won't care if your weapons aren't matched. I have my two kunais, and it's all I need."
 
“Whatever you say Kakashi.”
 
“Now that's the right attitude. Just remember, I'm always right.”
 
What an egotistical megalomaniac.
 
She swung at him.
 
He side stepped.
 
"You are leaving yourself too open, and are too slow at swinging, you need to tilt the blade so it is more aerodynamic and has less drag and resistance when cutting through the air."
She spun the sword around, whirling it to get more of a feel of its weight and movements. She lunged at him. He jumped back.
 
“Better,” he said, “but don't just strike once and recoil, you'll never get anywhere with that.”
 
She nodded and exhaled.
 
She tried to strike right, but missed. She then went for the left. She missed again. What was the point of this, for him to dance around my sword?
 
“You need more feeling, passion, force, resolve. Otherwise you're just swinging your flashy sword for show and nothing more… But if you want to just swing, then swing this way so that I get more air movement.” He made a fanning motion with his hand.
 
He wants me to fan him like he's some kind of god? Oh yes, she was ready to decapitate him.
 
Fake right, swing left, pull back, and lunge. He blocked her blade with his one kunai.
 
"There we go, that's better, but you'll still never hit me or even give me a good challenge." Oh yes, he knew how to pique her interest, and it was easy to show that his words were effecting her. She wears her emotions on her sleeves, a bad trait that she needs to grow out of.
 
She started recklessly swinging at him. He didn't even bother to block her poor attempts.
 
“I said passion and force, not blind rage.” He sighed and lowered his kunai.
 
Here's my chance, he's open.
 
She swung and twirled, an up cut followed by a downward diagonal slash. Meeting his parrying kunais that were reflecting her blade off of them. She put strength behind her attack, pushing him back a step, and letting herself smile. Even if she knew he could defeat her in a New York minute, she wasn't doing too badly now.
 
She felt the cool nip of metal at her throat and the warmth of his body pressing against her back.
 
“You did well, in fact, better than I had expected. You pretended to be angry and swing carelessly so that I would underestimate you and let my guard down slightly. You actually had me fooled….but don't think too highly of yourself, you are still a long ways from mastering that weapon.”
 
 
Wisps of hair were lose from her braid and hanging limply on both sides of her face.
 
“I want to see more of how you respond to a combination of attacking and defending.”
 
He slashed with one kunai, she blocked it, but just barely. She felt the sting of his other kunai nicking her left arm. She looked down to see blood seeping from it slightly, but it wasn't large. She then felt one on her right arm, matching the one on her left.
 
“You aren't paying attention and you're still leaving yourself open.”
 
“But did you have to cut me? You never cut them!”
 
“You have to learn, and you can't seem to get anything through that thick head of yours unless you experience it.”
 
His comments weren't helping her mood. Perturbed, agitated, flustered, he really knew how to put a damper on her day, a cloud over her head.
 
She was quickly backpedaling up to avoid his strikes, stumbling on patched of weeds and roots. She was breathing heavily through her mouth, fearing that his next attack will hit her again.
 
~~~~~~~~~flashback~~~~~~~
 
Sweat ran down her forehead and into her eyes, blurring her vision. Her hands shook with fear and adrenaline. She was holding a short sword with both of her hands on its hilt, in the center of her body, pointed at her `attacker'.
 
He had a long sword, at least it was longer than hers, but on him it was still classified as a short sword. He gripped it loosely with one hand. His breathing was normal, any slower and you'd think he was asleep or almost dead. Fear and nervous were words not in his dictionary. He was the essence of inner peace and control.
 
“I can't do this master.” She pleaded with her quivering voice.
 
“Yes you can.”
 
“You're pushing too hard.” Her voice raised a few decibels in volume, which was surprising for one so young and small.
 
“No, I'm pushing you to your limit, in hopes that you will be able to surpass it.”
 
“You're too fast and too strong.” Trying to point out the obvious unfairness.
 
Those are factors that don't matter.
 
She bit her lip.
 
“Watch the muscles in my arms, the movements of my feet, the angle of my body. All of these things will show you how and where I will attack.”
 
~~~~~end flashback~~~~~~~
 
 
His muscles in his left arm contracted as his upper body slightly twisted. She successfully blocked it, and as the blades met, she saw his right arm muscles flinch, the next was going to be aimed at her side. She repeatedly blocked him, ending up without another scratch.
 
Let's see how he can predict this.
 
Her shoulders, hips, and knees were squarely aligned with both feet facing forward. Her right foot was slightly in front of the left with a flat foot, while her left heel was slightly off the floor. Knees flexed slightly, with her left hand at the base of the sword while her right hand was just below the guard. She was going to attempt the migi jodan no kamae.
 
Her right foot slid forward in the dirt, pushing off with her left. Lifting her sword above her head, with her left hand slightly above and in front of her forehead, tilting the blade backward at a 45 degree angle, she cut downward in a powerful swing.
 
He stepped aside and heard the whoosh of air beside him from the force of her movements and the sword. That was a little too close for comfort. I should probably stop thinking of the next chapter of come come paradise. How come I keep making gennin level mistakes like being distracted?
 
Rip….clunk. His kunai pouch from the side of his leg fell to the ground.
 
“Holy shi..” Kakashi ran a hand through his messy hair.
 
“Any slower Kakashi, and that would have been your leg. Your reflexes are slowing down old man.”
 
“I'll have you know that I'm not that old Laura. My silver hair can be misleading.”
 
“That still doesn't change the fact that I almost got you.”
 
“It was a crappy strike that left a wide gap from here to here.” He touched her leg and shoulder.
 
“But -”
 
“No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I've seen much better.”
 
“But that doesn't change the facts Kakashi.”
 
She stood waiting, impatiently tapping her foot, hoping to hear something like “I admit that I greatly underestimated you.” But she wasn't that lucky.
 
I thought that it was more likely for you to inflict an injury on yourself before you would even think attempting an attack such as jodan no kamae.”
 
“I didn't think that you'd know the name of that attack Kakashi.” Heck, I'm surprised that I knew the name, let alone how to do it. I probably saw it in some action flick or anime show and mimicked it.
 
“I didn't think that you'd even be able to complete it when I noticed your stance and movements.”
 
“Well then, I guess we both need to think a little more, but don't hurt yourself Hatake.”
 
Sasuke was sitting on the ground, observing from afar, eyes narrowed in thought. She talks like she knows him, and doesn't even use formalities when addressing him. She can even get him to say more than a few terse sentences. Why is she lying about her home supposedly on the outskirts of the village, and for that matter, why are they all in it together?
 
Sakura leaned back, resting her weight more on her arms as she was now half laying in the grass. I wonder if Bibi would help me get stronger since I'm so weak in Taijutsu. I could even benefit from training with Laura and Vivian.
 
Inner Sakura was trying to be the devil on her shoulder. “Stick with Laura or Vivian, remember, you are supposed to hate Bibi for waking up with Sasuke.”
 
Naruto salivated while staring at the bush as he licked his lips. If I think hard enough, this bush reminds me of ramen.
 
“Okay, party's over, everyone out of the bushes.” Kakashi picked up his kunai pouch and stowed it in one of his cargo pants.
 
Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke dejectedly trudged to the center of the clearing and gathered in a horse shoe around Kakashi.
 
“Make lunch, I'll oversee your efforts.”
 
“Sleep or read that hentai book is more like it.” Naruto commented under his breath.
 
“Who's going to be the first to volunteer?”
 
“I'll start. As the future hokage, I have many skills, one of which is making Ramen!” Naruto was thinking with his stomach as usual.
 
“It's more like your only skill,” Sasuke shot at him.
 
Kage bunshin no jutsu.
 
Clones of Naruto scurried about the forest, gathering sticks and throwing them into a pile. One retrieved a pot, another a pack of noodles, and yet another brought a water bottle.
 
“Saskue, light me.”
 
“Sure thing Naruto,” he replied with an impish grin. He performed the hand seals, taking in a breath and holding it as the fire grew within him. He slowly let out his breath as the fire poured from his lips like a human flame thrower. Effectively lighting the fire wood, and destroying a few of Naruto's clones that were caught too close to his flame.
 
“Hey, why did you kill my clones you bastard?”
 
“You asked for it dobe.”
 
“Naruto, it looks like your ramen is done.” Bibi pointed to the bubbling and almost overflowing pot, steam swirling from it's surface. With a poof, all his clones disappeared and his entire concentration was devoted to consuming his precious lunch. They all broke out their chopsticks and Kakashi once again inhaled the food before anyone had a chance to catch a glimpse of his face.
 
After they had all eaten their fill, though Naruto ate enough food that it could have been used to feed an entire third world country, Kakashi stood up to assign duties like a mother would assign chores to her children.
 
“Sasuke and Naruto are to spar. Sakura, you are to physically train by doing 100 sit-ups, 300 kicks with each leg to that birch tree over there. Vivian, take out that bow and arrow and practice your aim and accuracy. Bibi, uh, throw the boomerang. I don't know how to train anyone in it because I don't think it's ever been used as a weapon before, but there's a first for everything. Laura, go through some practice routines with your sword that vary in attack, defense, and stance.”
 
 
The sole white European birch tree towered over Sakura who decided to get the worst over with first. The forlorn tree stood in the shadows of the others. She kicked it and it stung her shin.
 
Stupid tree. One hit and its outer shell cracks, another and it breaks as its only form of protection falls to the ground.
 
The bark gave little under legs as she forced herself to continue.
 
One freaking hit after another as its defenses crumble away. It stands out like a sore thumb and is the weakest of all the birch trees and all it can do is stand there like an idiot and roll with the punches no matter how smart it thinks it is by losing its leaves in the winter.
 
The tree was devoid of almost all its defensive top layers as she kicked it with a vengeance. Piles of the papery shreds accumulated at her feet.
 
Why are there so many weak things in this world and why am I one of them?
 
Her anger flared followed by a drive to become better, to become stronger, and to become accepted in the eyes of her teammates, her sensei, and the ninja community. She channeled all her might and force into her leg as she kicked it for the 300th kick, the last kick.
 
Crunch, crack.
 
The tree was indented to its' center where she had kicked it had spider like cracks adorning it's surface.
 
Oh god, what did this tree ever do to me to deserve that kind of punishment. It's now crippled, grotesquely deformed, and more frail than ever.
 
 
 
Sasuke was dodging or blocking everything Naruto was throwing at him. From shurikens to punches. It was of no challenge to him.
 
How can I get stronger to defeat Itachi if I never have to push or strain to defend myself. This is getting me nowhere.
 
“Ha, I've got you now Sasuke, give up before you get hurt.” Naruto could almost taste the victory that he longed for over Sasuke.
 
“You're pathetic.”
 
“Huh?!?!”
 
thwap. Phump. Sasuke hit Naruto on his back, then ran in front of him and punched him in the stomach. The blond doubled over, the wind knocked out of him.
 
“Baka.”
 
“Itaiiiiii! What was that for Sasuke?”
 
Uchiha ignored the question and turned to look at Kakashi, with a bored scorning expressing. “There's no point to this Kakashi. I'll never get any better if I have to train with dead-last.”
 
“Sasuke, you push him, then he pushes you. If it has to be pointed out to you, then you're the Uchiha Genius everyone says you are.”
 
 
The sword twirled as her mind strained to piece together practice techniques and footwork. Concentrating too much on evoking the moves to relax into a steady rhythm. Choppy movements halted altogether as she shook her head in dismay and frustration, sending her braid swooshing from shoulder to shoulder and wisps of hair still clinging to her face and neck, laden with sweat.
 
She put the sword back into the sheath built in to her backpack only to forcefully whip it out, striking a tree as it was drawn.
 
 
What nerve, and he calls himself a special jounin.
 
Bibi pulled out her boomerang, placed her thumb on the dot in the center and wrapped her hand around it as she throws it, aiming for Kakashi's head. It spun through the air with the grace of a gazelle, saying it was like a swan would be too cliché. He stood unaware, though he probably sensed it coming and was too lazy to move his ex-ANBU behind out of the way, and coming, and coming. It went right past him and started to go into an arc, being pulled to it's thrower by physics…well, we won't go into that.
 
Oh no.
 
Before she could give warning, it skimmed over naruto's head, hitting his hair and causing it to fall from it's spiked position.
 
“Gahhhhhh!!!!” Naruto screeched in surprise.
 
She saw her own weapon, heading for a collision course with herself. Granted it's a boomerang and should go back to the thrower, it still doesn't make one prepared for a projectile flying at them. She ducked, but put her hand up in hopes of catching it with eyes closed and a hand over them.
 
Thwap, thunk.
 
It had hit her hand, but she didn't catch it, so it fell straight down. Straight onto her head.
 
Damn boomerang. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try it again.
Before she could throw it again, Naruto's berating voice broke through the calm of her mind.
 
“Watch where you're throwing that, you have horrible aim and a good for nothing weapon which is an oversized woodchip.” He was still irked at being attacked...again.
 
She took a deep breath, and with boomerang in hand, casually strode up to Naruto, who had stopped his sparing with Sasuke once he had a near miss with her flying wood chip.
 
She rapped him on the head with her boomerang.
 
“What was that?”
 
“You just got run over by a woodchip.”
 
Sasuke smirked. This was another girl to keep Naruto in line. She would get along well with Sakura, who can throw a mean right hook with Naruto on the receiving end.
“Idiot.”
 
Naruto glared at Sasuke for his unwanted comment.
 
Even though she normally had the patience of a saint, today was not one of those days.
 
 
Vivian held her bow in her left hand with her right eye on her target. Her left shoulder faced the target she had etched into a tree with her kunai. She loaded the bow by pointing it toward the ground and placing the shaft of the arrow on an arrow rest attached to the bow. She then pulled the bowstring and placed it into the notch at the back of the arrow. She raised it and drew the arrow back. She drew her right hand towards her face and released her arrow. In a fluid motion, it hit the right tree, but not the target she was aiming for. Her parents had her take archery during the summer after 9th grade, and for that, she was eternally grateful. It seemed the bow and arrow were causing her less trouble than Laura was having remembering sword moves, or Bibi was having with controlling her boomerang.
 
 
 
“Kisame, in your return to me, I expect that your little mission was a success. What have you to tell me?”
 
The sharingan gaze was almost too heavy to bear even after his years of knowing Itachi. It was unnerving, knowing that at any moment in the blink of an eye, he could paralyze him in an endless time of torture as he had seen done to others in their journeys before.
 
Kisame took his Samehada, sharkskin blade that could absorb chakra, and put its point in the ground, leaning on it like a cane.
 
“Orochimaru is quickly gaining power, and has minions all over his complex. I know he has something in the works.”
 
“Yes, yes, we all know that Kisame. Get to the point.”
 
“He mentioned that there is someone who knows the future and is newly placed on Kakashi Hatake's gennin team. He wants to capture this person for his own purpose of gaining power and so on.”
 
“If Orochimaru wants him - ”
 
“It's a her.”
 
“then we must get to her first.”
 
“Why don't we take the fox demon at the same time Itachi?”
 
“The boy has yet to discover his inner demon, so he'd be of no use to the Akatsuki yet. Plus, it gives me a chance to check up on my brother and see how his plan of killing me is coming.” Itachi gave a throaty laugh and sternly stared at Kisame when he attempted to join in.