Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Forbidden Past, a New Future! ❯ First Mission: The Immortality Potion ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Mission: Destroy the Potion of Immortality
 
“Yes our first mission!” said Naruto
“I wonder what it will be?” said Sakura
We were walking to the station to receive our first mission.
So far its been nothing but small work, dog walking, babysitting etc. but now, its for real.
We reached the stands to await our first mission by Lord Hokage. When we got closer I notice my master, Masaki and a shrine keeper who is a friend of mine, Sanoske.
“So what's our mission?” asked Kakashi.
“Your mission is to bring this item. To mount Fuji-san and drop it in the pit and burn it.” Said Hokage, as he was handing us a bottle wrapped in silk.
“What is this?” asked Naruto.
“This is the famous Potion of Immortality, from the legend of Princess Kaguya the moon Madien.” Explained Masaki.
“Our Shrine has been guarding it for generations.” I said recognizing the bottle.
“But why burn it now?” asked Sakura.
“ There have been rumors lately that the sound village is seeking the potion of immortality. The potion must be destroyed before evil gets to it.” Explained Sanoske.
“Well we will do the mission. “ Said Kakashi
“Lead the way!” said Naruto.
“See you later master!” I said while bowing to him.
Sanoske then lead us to mount Fuji-san shrine.
Sanoske, followed by Kakashi, then Sauske, Sakura and Naruto. I was last.
“So what is the legend of the moon Princess?” asked Sakura.
“One day while walking in the bamboo forest, an old, childless bamboo cutter called Taketori-no Okina, "the Old Man who Harvests Bamboo"), comes across a mysterious, shining stalk of bamboo. Cutting it open, inside he finds a baby, the size of his thumb. Rejoicing to find such a beautiful girl, he takes her home and he and his wife raise her as their own child, naming her Kaguya-hime Princess Kaguya, "radiant night princess"). Thereafter, Taketori-no Okina found that whenever he cut down a stalk of bamboo, inside he found a small nugget of gold. Soon, he was rich, and Kaguya-hime grew from a small baby into a woman of usual size and extraordinary beauty. At first, Taketori-no Okina tries to sequester her from outsiders, but over time, the news of her beauty spreads.Eventually, five princes come to Taketori-no Okina's residence to ask for Kaguya-hime's hand in marriage. The princes eventually persuade Taketori-no Okina to tell a reluctant Kaguya-hime to choose from one of the five princes. To this, Kaguya-hime concocts impossible tasks for the princes to accomplish. She will agree to marry the prince who manages to bring her a specified item.That night, Taketori-no Okina tells the five princes what each of them must bring. The first is told to bring her the holy basin of the Buddha. The second is told to retrieve a legendary azalea made of silver and gold. The third is told to seek the legendary robe of the fire-rat of China. The fourth must retrieve a colored jewel from a dragon's neck. The final prince is told to find the seashell treasure of the swallows.Realizing that it was an impossible task, the first prince returns with an expensive bowl, but noticing that the bowl does not glow with holy light, Kaguya-hime sees through his deception. Two other princes likewise attempt to deceive her with fakes but also fail. The fourth gives up after encountering a storm, while the final prince loses his life in his attempt to retrieve the object.After this, the Emperor of Japan, called TennÅ in Japanese, comes to see the strangely beautiful Kaguya-hime and upon falling in love asks her to marry him. Although he is not subjected to the impossible trials that thwarted the princes, Kaguya-hime rejects his requests for marriage as well, telling him that she was not of this country and thus could not go to the palace with him. She stays in contact with the Emperor but continues to rebuff his requests.That summer, whenever Kaguya-hime would see the full moon her eyes filled with tears. Though her adopted parents worry greatly and question her, she is unable to tell them what was wrong. Her behavior becomes increasingly erratic until she reveals that she is not of this world and must return to her people on the moon. In some versions of this tale, it is said that she was sent to the earth as a temporary punishment for some crime, while others say it is because she was sent to earth for safety during a celestial war. As the day for her to return approaches, the Emperor sets many guards around her house to protect her from the moon people, but when an embassy of "Heavenly Beings" arrives at the door of the Bamboo Harvester's house, the many guards are blinded by the strange light. Kaguya-hime announces that though she loves her many friends on earth, she must return with the moon people to her true home. She writes sad notes of apology to her parents and to the Emperor, then gives her parents her own robe as a memento. She then takes a small taste of the elixir of life, attached it to her letter to the Emperor, and gives it to a guard officer. As she hands it to him, the feather robe is placed on her shoulders, and all of her sadness and compassion for the people of the Earth are forgotten. The heavenly entourage takes Kaguya-hime back to Tsuki-no Miyako (the capital of the moon) against her will, leaving her earthly foster parents in tears. The parents become very sad and were soon put to bed sick. The guard officer returns to the Emperor with the items Kaguya-hime had given him as her last mortal act, and reported what had happened. The Emperor reads her letter and is overcome with sadness. He asks his servants "Which mountain is the closest place to heaven?", to which one replies that the Great Mountain of Suruga Province is the closest place to heaven. The Emperor receives the potion of immortality, but rejects it saying this “What good is this potion of light? If I can not be with her? All is but dust in the wind.” He recites. Then leaves the land.” I said. Catching my breath after reciting the long story.
“What a sad story.” Said Sakura. “Bah who cares about some old legend.” Said Naruto “But is the legend of the potion of Immortality really true? Does it really make you immortal?” asked Sauske. “No one really knows.” Said Sanoske.
By the time we finished talking it was almost dark.
“Lets rest for a bit.” Suggested Kakashi. “But I could keep going” complained Naruto.