Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Forever ❯ Forever ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Naruto for it is owned by Masashi Kishimoto, Shueisha, Viz Media, and Madman Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended with this purely fan-made fiction, especially since no money or profit is being made from this.
Friendshipping: Naruto/Sakura/Sasuke
Rating: K
Prompt: "Even in the end, it won’t stop us."
Written For: Casper-san's 'I-dare-you' challenge
Word Count: 500

Forever

It was strange how some of the strongest friendships had the weirdest beginnings. Even as their trio had been reduced to a duo, they still had their memories. Of better times, of happier times. Times when they were together and fought alongside each other.

Naruto could remember how his ecstasy over being on a team with Sakura was cut short as soon as Sasuke's name had been announced. Just as Sakura could remember how her depression had turned into sheer joy once Iruka had said the Uchiha's name.

Then they had all been forced to notice each other. Not because they were loud, pranksters, or beautiful but because they held each other's lives in their hands. Through missions they learned to work together and acknowledge each other for their strengths and weaknesses. They learned trust and found a kind of friendship they had never had before.

And now, what were they left with?

"Sakura-chan! I... I'll definitely keep my promise! I said that it was a lifelong promise!"

Though she had been blinking back tears ever since she woke up that morning, Sakura found a new wave of sadness crashing through her at Naruto's dejected words. Through the months they had spent together as a team and becoming strong together, she no longer felt disappointment over being on a team with Naruto. He had become strong, but more importantly he had become her friend. Both of them had.

"Like I said... I won't go back on my word! Because that's my ninja way..."

And she knew that he had given it his all to keep his promise to her. While she could say Naruto and Sasuke were her best friends, the friendship Naruto and Sasuke had shared went deeper. They were as close to being brothers as they could be.

So how could he have just left them? It was as if their friendship had meant absolutely nothing to him.

However, she did know one thing for sure.

"Naruto..."

They were friends no matter what. Sometimes it just took a good beating to knock it into their head, but the point was that they understood. They were a team, and teams were forever.

Even if there were only memories left...

"I'm sorry, Naruto... I had to make you wait a while but... Next time we'll do it together!"

While Sasuke may have decided to test how far he could push the limits of friendship, they were ready to show him that there was no end in true friendships. They would have a bond forever, even if it took them that long to prove it to him.

Because even at the end of everything, even if they lost their lives, it would not stop them. They would bring back their friend because they were a team. Though it took becoming one to find the friendship they now had, it did not change a thing. And being a team meant that no one was left behind or forgotten.

That was a promise.