Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Friends ❯ Chapter Three: Disconnection ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
---------------------------------
Friends
By Alden-san
Chapter 3: Disconnecteion
----------------------------------

He was gone.

Ino narrowed her eyes in annoyance, and pumped herself higher. Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke-kun had gone off with their new sensei. They had a REAL mission, Naruto had crowed, not a crappy D-class. While Ino, stuck with Chouji and Shikamaru, was stuck with her loser of a sensei.

Yes, she'd met her sensei - Sarutobi Asuma, high-class lazy-ass, only outdone by Shikamaru. Those two lazed around constantly playing old-man games, while Chouji munched. Ino wasn't the training-obsessing type, but some of Naruto's determined spirit had rubbed off on her, she guessed. So, what did she do?

She usually left her group, muttering darkly and stomping off to the forest to practise her secret jutsu: the Kage Bunshin. Yes, she'd finally mastered it.

At least,she'd mastered performing it. How hard could it be to get more than one clone without fainting? She pumped her feet, shooting herself back into the air. As she'd found out earlier that evening, VERY hard. She almost fainted when she conjured one, how would she get so many out like Naruto did?

She swore she'd have two by the time he came back. If he got to parade off to Wave Country, then she'd do something interesting too. Her feet touched the ground again, and she pushed off again. Annoyance made this swing a common retreat for Ino. The only place she felt at peace, now, was in the air.

How could HE have a mission before her, without her? It just wasn't fair! It was her parents' faults, that's right! If they hadn't...

Ino sighed. What could she do now? Her team was lame, she wasn't talking to her parents, talking to pretty much all of her friends would be awkward, since most of them didn't even pass the sensei test. The rest would be with their teams of actually bearable people. She had no place at her home, with her team, witrh her friends. Her best friend in the world, her one true love, and the boy who she'd decidedly adopted in her mind as her brother were gone, leaving the village boring.

The world had seemed a lot brighter a month or two ago...

Well, all she could do was work on her jutsu's. She couldn't spend her whole time on Kage Bunshin, could she? So she spent almost an hour working ona fire jutsu her father had showed her, not coming any closer than when she'd started to making fire come from her hands.

That was when she realised she had screwed up one of the seals, using the Dragon seal instead of the Tiger (resulting in her doing a completely different justsu, which would require different chakra placement and focus to work anyway). This resulted in her being severely annoyed and exhausted for the second time that day.

Naruto had left yesterday. Today, she'd almost not bothered waking up. Was it even worth it? Everyone, everything was boring now. Sure, she'd dreamed of becoming a ninja and impressing Sasuke for years... She'd had this dream for far longer than that, though. Ever since her father had told her dashing stories of her grandfather, her uncles, her father himself with his teammates. She'd grown up on tales of bravery, courage, and good luck.

Meeting Sasuke had only pushed her furthur to become great. He was so mysterious, so beautifu, so strong... He was, in a nutshell, perfect. He had a tragic past, even!

Unfortunately, that turned him into a major turn-off, because after his traumatic event he ignored everyone. Including Ino.

No-one, not even Uchiha Sasuke, was allowed to ignore Yamanaka Ino.

Ino had taken a hit to her pride the day Uchiha Sauske had shoo'ed her away with a flick of his hand and an annoyed glare. Most male genin, even despite thier tender age, would at least describe Ino as 'pretty'. Some also might say 'mean', 'scary' or even 'evil', but those are first-year academy students for you.

Now, Ino lay in the middle of the forest, too exhausted to move, barely able to breath. Her chakra was ebbing, and her head was throbbing. Her eyes focused high above her, landing on fluffy white shapes. Watching the clouds... Damn, next she'd be playing Go and having old boring men obsess over her.

Damn, now she was being bitter. She hated being- No, she REFUSED to be bitter over her sensei's blatant favouritism. But... how could lazy-ass Shikamaru be favourite? When she was prettier, stronger, sexier... Who needed Asuma, though? She was fine by herself. Who needed them?

Still... Ino hated that life sucked now. How did life start being so un-fun? Her mother was even more distant, and worse, her fother was trying to pry into her life even more; Her teammates had seemed to lose all sense of life, preferring Shougi and BBQ respectively more than her; The village, which seemed to have become more enclosing than before if possible; and her own personal life, which had shriveled up into nothing. She was just another kunoichi, another genin to most people. That was almost worse than being an academy student.

All she could do now was train... And her sensei, who was supposed to help, just told her to 'go practise your Shintenshin, Ino...'

What the hell?

She hated it so much... She needed to take matters into her own hands. She needed a real sensei. A kunoichi, someone who didn't dislike kids, one with some time on her hands and wouldn't mind. Someone whowas probably training genins anyways.

Hinata mentioned a kunoichi teacher...

---

Ino bit her lip as she strode towards the field she knew Hinata's team used for practise. She hadn't paid attention to her team members, or met their sensei. She just hoped the woman was forgiven, and the guy were bearable. This was usually too mcuh to ask, but Ino hoped, just once...

All hope of this escaped Ino in an instant: Inuzuka Kiba. Not exactly a hatewful sight, but undoubttably a nuisance. She'd 'benefited' from his remarks the numerous times she'd been to Sakura's house.

Oh yes, the two were well acquainted.

The others were unecognisable, other than Hinats of course. She'd met pretty much every Jounin in the village through her dad, so she guessed the one with the really nice red eyes was a new Jounin. The other boy was the quiet one in the corner of the room... Shio? Shiro? Anyways, if the woman allowed her to study with them, she'd learn about them quick enough. Ino was willing even to bear Kiba every day to actually -learn- something.

She gripped her hands to her sides, her body filled with tension, wondering whether she'd let her train with them. Why not, it was just another genin, a chance to test her students on someone she wouldn't have to teach later, right?

Of course, Ino would only appear in training, and only if... the sensei... allowed her to. Ino wondered about thes sensei - Kunoichi either went for genjutsu or ninjutsu. Either way, Ino could learn something from her, if she were willing to teach. She just hoped that was the case - What teacher could turn away a willing student?

Ino's breath quickened as she came closer to the group. The woman was watchingall three of her students spar together, and it was interesting, though Ino could have predictedtwo-thirds of the fight: Kiba rushing in to fight, Hinata backing off more, but the other guy... He was just blocking Kiba's strikes almost effortlessly. Kiba had the fire in his eyes of a fighter. Ino saw it all the time in Naruto - Kiba had a formidable spirit.

"Ummm... Excuse me..." Ino approached the Jounin, feeling awkward. Ino always was awkward in front of adults, it was something good children did, and that's how Ino had been raised. She damned this fault, it unfitting her normal personality... She hoped it wouldn't ruin her chances.

The Jounin looked at her, unsurprised. Even if Ino had tried stealth, the woman would have pinpointed her easily. Ino was slightly mollified that she didn't embarrass herself trying to 'sneak up' on the Jounin. Hinata's sensei spoke suddenly.

"I'm Yuuhi Kurenai... And you are?" Kurenai had a nice voice, Ino decided. Her clothes were a bit mismatched, but with a pulled together look. She took a breath in, and spoke. "Ummm... Kurenai-san... I was wondering..."

"Yes?" Kurenai asked, almost impatiently.

"I was wondering if I coukld train with you and your team sometimes... I mean, my sensei and teammates are useless, and I know I might be a burden but just give me a chance and bessides I'm the only one who can spur Hinata into doing anything plus-" Ino's magnificent run-oin sentance was stopped as Kurenai shifted her position. She sighed. Ino feared the worst.

"Name?" Was she going to report her for annoying her team?

"Yamanaka Ino, Yuuhi-san..." Ino bowed her head, closing her eyes shut.

"You... You say you know Hinata?" Kurenai asked, and Ino nodded her head. Kurenai called Hinata over, and Ino raised her head to look.

"Ino? What are you doing here? What about..." Hinata seemed confused. Kiba and the othrer boy continued to spar behind the three.

"You know this girl, Hinata? Is she a worthwhile fighter? You think she should train with us?" Kurenai asked, and after all of Hinata's nods and praises of Ino, she stopped.

"Alright, Ino. I met your father, he's a good guy. And Hinata gives you a good review... I only just met my team, but I know they're trustworthy. I just need to know a bit about you..."

---

"Bye, Kurenai-san... May I call you Kurenai-sensei? I mean, because..." Ino asked, , trying to smile. Kurenai smiled.

"Sure... Ino. Are you coming back tomorrow?" Kurenai asked.

"Mhm, yeah... Unless my sensei and teammates actually start training- Which I doubt. You don't mind me training with your group... Do you?" Ino asked hopefully. Kurenai shrugged and turned to her group.

"You three mind?" Kurenai asked. "I mean, we've only been training for two weeks anyways, so we don't have a concrete training schedule, so..."

"I... I would like Ino to.. to join us in training, if it's not too much, Kurenai-sensei. She's a really good fighter... And if her team isn't helping her..."

"I don't want HER here!" Kiba shouted, acknowledging theiracquaintance for the first time since the practise started. "She's... well... Eugh, alright..."

Ino was definitely confused. What would make Kiba suddenly change his mind- Ahhhh... Hinata, Ino decided, must be the reason. She'd noticed wha tthe others hadn't. the subtle clues that even many ninja would be hard-pressed to spot... But Ino, who had spent her whjole life with kids her wonage, knew the secret signs when even the person themself didn't even know for sure.

"Shino?" Kurenai turned her head to look at the third member of their team, someone even Ino ahdn't gleaned much from. Mystery boy...

Shino just nodded, and Ino smiled. The three had been good at practise today, and if she got that kind of workout even every few days she'd improve a lot.

"Bye, Kurenai-sensei! Bye Hinata! ... And Kiba, and Shino!" She caled,as she headed off down the path back to the village.

Hey, she couldn't be the only one left alone without Naruto. Someone hadn't treated them to ramen in a while... She had a stop to make at Iruka-sensei's house... And some ramen to eat...

---

"Iruka-sensei... When's Naruto getting back? I mean, he left two days ago, so he won't be too long, will he?" Ino asked, annoyedly swirling her ramen around the bowl.

"Ino... Wave Country's a while away. He may be gone for as long as three months..."Iruka said quietly, raising some ramen noodles to his mouth and curling them around his tongue.

"What do you MEAN, three months!?" Ino sceamed, grabbing IKruka's shoulder. "They're gonna be gone for three months!?"

Iruka swallowed, unfazed by Ino's screaming. "I said, up to three months. They could, possible, be back in two months... If they got back in one, it wouldn't be good, Ino."

"What do you mean by that?" Ino asked, calming down, but still annoyed.

"Because that would mean they never made it to Wave Country, and that they failed. No-one can make it to Wave Country and back in a month, especially with a client."

"Oh... That sucks..." Ino muttered, looking down into her ramen. "And they're going with a client?"

"Mhm. Tazuna, a bridgebuilder. Can't be that hard of a mission... Just a long one. Don't worry so much, Ino... Naruto Sasuke and Sakura are in the hands of a Jounin. I doubt anything will happen to them..." Iruka sounded anything but secure in this belief. If anything, he was more worried than she was. That was believable - He treated Naruto like an adopted son, and Sasuke and Sakura had only just graduated. Only weeks after they graduated, they were heading out to another country.

Poor Iruka-sensei. He needed something to keep his mind on. A mission, a project, a relationship... Ino was determined to help Iruka get through the next few months, unscathed anfd better than he'd been before Naruto had left!

It wasn't like she didn't have time on her hands, right? She was sure, by the end of three months, Iruka would be a happier man!
---

"Hoy! Asuma-sensei, Shika, Chouji!" Ino yelled. "I'm gonna go train, alright?"

"Alright, Ino! We'll see you tomorrow!" Asuma replied from the picnic table he and Shikamaru were seated at. She'd been going to train with Kurenai-sensei and the rest of the team for just over a week now, and no-one had noticed.

Her training was flourishing with the other team. She sparred with Hinata usually, though Kurenai sometimes set her up against Hinata. It seemed easier for the sensei to arrange four into fights of two, instead of one three-person spar that was happening before. Ino had helped Hinata with her Gentle Fist, showing her possible dodges and moves that might work. She and Kiba were the best matches, being almost completely equal in skill, though the battles were sometimes too personal for comfort. Kurenai had even showed them a new genjutsu, even though none of them had mastered it (Shino had come close). it was obvious Kurenai was just beginning, not sure what was above them, or below them. She was trying to find an equal ground for all of them.

Shino's and Kiba's strengths were taijutsu, Ino's ninjutsu and Hinata's was more in the support jutsu's. So all the battles were interesting, though Shino usually overpowered any of them in single spars. Kiba, apparently taking Shino's strength for an attempt to take leadership, challenged him almost every day. He seemed to avoid fighting Hinata, or hitting her too hard, unlike fighting with either Shino or Ino.

Ino had only fought Shino once. They'd mostly traded blows, neither seeming to know many potent ninjutsu well enough to throw them out effortlessly during battle... Or maybe, Ino suspected, Shino only didn't because she couldn't.

She hated being pity-fought, so she avoided fighting Shino. She suspected he thought she was afraid of fighting him, and disliked him. He was very quiet, however, and Ino couldn't understand quiet people. She couldn't make him speak, at least not at length. He answered most point-blank questions briefly, at least. Ino would drag him out of his shell some day.

For now, though... Chouji was jogging after her. This certainly was odd - Not that Chouji didn't jog, but it was rare after a mission. "Ino! Ino!"

Ino turned, looking at Chouji questioningly. "Yeah, Chouji? What?"

"Can I train with you, today? I mean, Shikamaru and Asuma-sensei are playing Shougi, and..." Chouji caught up with her after a few minutes. Ino sighed.

"Chouji... I really can't- I mean... Come over here for a second..." She led him over to a bunch of trees away from the other two group members, then whispered into his ear.

"YOU'RE DOING WHAT, INO!?" Chouji yelled, as Ino shushed him. "But, but... you're in our team..."

"Yeah, but OUR team doesn't ever TRAIN!" Ino said, annoyed.

"Oh... That's right too... Well, I'll see you tomorrow, then, Ino! Can you train with us tomorrow, though? I'll get Asuma-sensei to get us to, I promise!" Chouji said quickly.

"Of course, of course, Chouji... I gotta go now. See you!" Ino said, running off and waving. Chouji sighed, making the loooong trip back...

---

"Kurenai-sensei! I'm here!" Ino called, walking towards them and waving.

"Hey, Ino!" Kurenai waved. "Hurry up! Hinata wants us to try some of her ointment!" Ino could see Hinata mumbling something self-deprecating, like 'I'ts not that important', and Kurenai comforting her. The girl needed a kick to the ego...

Ino jogged the last few steps before stopping and sitting with the rest of them. Kurenai passed little bottles of ointment around.

"Hinata says this can make bruises stop hurting for a bit, even if they're almost a week old..." Kurenai said, rubbing some on her arm. "This does work, Hinata! Good job!"

Ino tried it on her leg (she'd bumped it earlier). It worked! It had been annoying her all day, and it was gone! She grinned, and thanked Hinata (who only blushed and muttered something like 'It was nothing, Ino...')

"Now, Kiba, Shino, you guy's train. Hinata, Ino, you two.. I wanna test you guys on your chakra levels. That's why I need you two alone - There's a seperate one for each gender. So, both of you, sit down and focus your chakra into your feet. Fiest, though, take off y0our shoes and socks..."

The two sat down and outstretched their legs.Kurenai sat between them, reached out and yanked her sandals off. Her hand caught Ino's eye.

"You're not married?" Ino asked suddenly. It was odd, because ninja married young, maybe in their twenties - Because it might be their only chance. That a woman like Kurenai, unmarried and still young, meant she would be looking at least. Though, she might still be taken...

"No, not really. I thought you'd notice that, Ino. I haven't even had areal relationship in a while... Now, focus as hard as you can, I'm going to try something..." Kurenai said casually, as the two girls closed their eyes and focused. Ino suddenly heard her 'sensei's' voice above the roar in her ears of her chakra burning in her mind. "Now, lock your chakra to your toes, then try to pull the chakra, all of it, up to your neck. When you can't pull it any furthur, tell me where it stops..."

Ino turned her mind to the task, first locking then pulling her chakra furthur and furthur. She pulled with all hrer mind's might. In spite of all her effort, the chakra finally stopped around her knees. She swore as her eyes shot open.

She looked over at the other two females. Both were still pulling. Ino bit her lip, annoyed. Did that mean she had barely any chakra? Yeah right, she didn't believe THAT.

Hinata stopped suddenly, then Kurenai almost immediately after. Both looked at Ino expectantly.

"I got to my knees, alright?" Ino asked, irritatedly, looking at them. "That's it..."

"Ino, that's alright! That's where most genin get... It's really great, it means you have no lack of chakra. Hinata?" Kurenai turned to her official kunoichi student.

"I got just above my knee, a bit into my thigh, but-" Hinata waved hrer hands in front of her at ino's disappointed sigh, "Only because my father's been training me in Hyuuga chakra techniques since I was three! Honestly, Ino... To the knees is really good!"

"So... How does the technique WORK, Kurenai-sensei? I mean, there's gotta be a reason it shows us our chakra levels..." Ino asked, after a reflective moment. At least I got this far... Still... I wonder how far Naruto gets? He's got a lot of chakra...'

"The legs are a hard place to use chakra flow. Using your whole base of chakra, and stretching it through the legs, shows how much you have in proportion to your age and gender. The average non-ninja can only just get to their ankles, if there. People like your mother, with limited ninja training, might get it to halfway up their calves. Ninja should have it to their knees, and above that is very good," Kurenai said, smiling. "It's good that we did this. I myself can only get to my knees, Ino, so don't look so disappointed."

Ino froze. "Really? But... those complicated jutsu..."

"That's what it is to be a ninja... And a jounin. I don't have great chakra, I just use it well - Genjutsu, after all, isn't too exhausting, just complicated."

" I see," Ino said quietly, slightly mollifed. She wasn't deficient, she was just... average. It was a blow to her pride to be below Hinata, however, even though Ino wanted the best for her friend.

"Kurenai-sensei, how do you increase your chakra supply?" Ino asked.

"Increase your stamina," Was Kurenai's simple answer. Ino nodded.

"Now, You two... Kiba! Shino! We're going to learn a new jutsu! Come on over here!" Kurenai gestured te two boys over.

Suddenly, Ino remembered her promise to Chouji. "Kurenai-sensei... Is it alright if I train with my team tomorrow, but still come every day?"

"Sure, sure, Ino... Now, let's get into stance..." Kurenai nodded, then proceeded to teach her four students. And in the midst of a lesson, Ino had an idea.

It involved a very important ramen bar...

---

"Iruka-sensei? This is Yuuhi Kurenai, the Jounin leader of Team 8. I've been trainging with her group for the past few weeks. Kurenai-sensei, this is Umino Iruka, my academy sensei for basically my whole life. Because I got my week's salary today, I wanted to do something nicew for the two people involved with pretty much my whole growth over the years. So, both of you order, I'll pay the bill," Ino said, nodding and leading her two sensei's to the Ichiraku stools.

"I... I don't know what to say..." Kurenai stammered. Irua just nodded.

"Don't worry, it's just ramen- Oh! Iruka-sensei! I forgot, I promised Chouji I'd help him and Shikamaru with the InoShikaChou! I'm sooo sorry..."

"We'll do this some other time, then-?" Iruka started to rise, but Ino pushed him back down.

"No, no! I'll just leave some money, the rest can go on my tab and I'll pay it tomorrow. You two just sit here and enjoy yourselves! Oh, and since I didn't have a chance to give you guys these, here!" Ino slapped something on the counter of the amen bar before running off before either could speak. Iruka and Kurenai glanced down.

It was two tickets for The Lonely Fox, Konoha's biggest (and most expensive) club. Forget one week's salary, Ino must have used a whole weeks salary on EACH ticket! iruka and Kurenai just stared at the tickets.

"Do you think she's hinting at something, Umino-san?" Kurenai looked into Iruka's face.

"Well, it would be extremely rude to refuse the tickets, especially when they were so expensive..." Iruka said, glancing at them. "What do you think, Yuuhi-san? I haven't been to a club in years..."

"Neither have I... Though, let's eat a bowl of ramen to seal the deal. ino offered it, and she'd be diasappointed if we did't eat, I think..." Kurenai said, glancing at the man waiting for their order.

"One shrimp and miso for me, then," Iruka said the the man. "Yuuhi-san?"

"One pork and vegetable, please," She ordered, then turne to Iruka. "if we're doing this, we should call each other by our first names, right... Iruka-san?"

"Alright... Kurenai-san?"

Clunk! Their two bowls hit the counter...

---



Daylight filtered in through almost-closed curtains, flickering across the floor. The small apartment had seen cleaner mornings than this, as there were clothes and random objects scattered about the bedroom. A pair of eyes fluttered open, and the woman turned to the man, waking him with a kiss, surprised at her own initiative. "Wake up, Iruka-kun..."

Iruka's eyes flickered open, and a small, awkward smile crept onto his face as he looked up into Kurenai's beautiful crimson eyes. His head was pounding, but he could barely notice. The most beautiful woman he had ever met had stayed with him for a whole night, without leaving or sighing... It had been awkward first, knowing eachother only barely, but as the night had continued they'd grown closer.

He hadn't expected it. She hadn't expected it. The most unique feeling in his chest, the music pounding, one or two light drinks, nothing major... It had eben beautiful. She was beautiful.

He was struck silent, then sat up. Kurenai kissed him on the cheek, and said, "Where were we?"

Then both of them realised... If the sun was shining...

"I only have half an hour before class! Iruka said, horrified.\

"Forget that, I have to meat my team in ten minutes!" Kurenai said, shocked. The two leapt out of the bed, hurriedly pulling on their clothing. Not sure whose apartment it even was, they stumbled around the room gathering odds and ends from eachothers' pockets. Iruka pulled Kurenai's head-protector from inside his pantleg and threw it to her. She gave him back his wallet.

"Is this your apartment?" They both asked eachother at the same time.

"I... live in a house," Iruka said.

"I have a nicer apartment than this," Kurenai said.

Iruka checked his pockets, and found a key with a note. 'Kakashi's spare key - Apartment 23a in the Mitsubochi building. Naruto gave it to me. Enjoy!'

He just sighed and smiled, handing it to Kurenai. "Just like Ino, ne?"

"Iruka... I know this is a bit to ask, but... You wanna do this again, amybe sommewhere not so hectic? Sometime soon... Maybe tomorrow night?" Kurenai threw her arms around his shoulders.

"Maybe... dinner at Hokage Place, I hear the buffet is worth the price. My treat, this time," Iruka said, smiling.

"Then.. See you tomorrow, Iruka-kun..." Kurenai kissed him lightly on the lips, then disappeared into smoke. Iruka stood, looking at the greound for almost five minutes. It was the first relationship he'd had in almost a year, and the last one hadn't ended well either. Were he and Kurenai jumping into something too quick?

Well, there was only one thing he could do now. Take it from Hokage Place, see how it spun out.

Then, he jumped out the window. All on his mind now was getting to class before the bell!

-End Chapter Three-