Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Gen'inkekka ❯ Muidaime's mission ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Naruto’s characters belong to Kishimoto, Aniplex, Studio Pierrot etc. I am just toying with them in this non profit fanfic.

Gen'inkekka

27 years old Sakura looks at the distance from the balcony of the Hokage towe as she had been summoned by the current Hokage; she carries the wedding band from her late husband lost in action a year ago. The years of the cell 7 seem long gone as two of her closer friends and this place tend to bring back all those memories.
She looks at the stern expressions of the 6 Hokages the village protectors and she cannot prevent herself from remembering a certain clumsy boy who always swore to be on that mountain.
The first two the legendary founders, the Third the still missed Sarutobi Hokage, the fourth the Hero of Konoha which she knew nothing more about and then the Fifth the face sculpted in the youthful appearance she once clinged to. Her old sensei, when she had left office 1 year ago alleging her health was faulty, in truth it seemed after his departure she had lost the will to live, she had not even chosen a successor and had let it on the hands of the council. It was said she had passed away a month ago, but the memorial had not been held yet for the political unrest as the poets would put it the winds of war were still running high and Konoha's golden Age seemed far away in time. She sighed.
She then continued to sixth rock image the Muidaime, Morino Ibiki, who once belong to the Anbu interrogation section and was considered the best choice in the current situation by the council, she had never like him since the Chuunin exam and somehow she wished it had been a more friendly face on that mountain wall.
"Haruno right?" the Muidaime calls.
"Yes, sir"
"We have a mission class S for you of uttermost importance to the East."

Sakura was taken aback, she had a child at home to care and she was a qualified medical shinobi needed at the hospital on daily basis, "Sir, I guess you were misinformed I have not left the village in years, I believe I would not be the best alternative"
"Do you still consider yourself a Shinobi loyal to Konoha?" He added
"Yes sir!" she answered,
"Well, I am aware of your situation. However, this actually is a letter from the late Godaime about a certain mission to be carry upon her demise in an emergency situation and it calls for you specifically" he said handing her the letter.

Sakura felt her world shake, "is this a joke?" she said as she read the mission specifications written on the scroll in Tsunade's calligraphy.

No, she told herself breathing slowly Naruto was dead, not a rumor as with the Godaime for she had personally seen his body and they even had held a funeral for him.
She perfectly remember his face serene face on the coffin as one of her biggest regrets remembering him carrying Sasuke´s body and apologizing for his failure as he put him on the ground.
For once she had been afraid of him, there was no trace of the clumsy care free boy she new but a despaired glance that was quickly replaced by a murderous one as he got ready to keep on the battlefield leaving her with Sasuke battered limp body on her arms.
Instinctly, as she cried over the body of her first love, she had shivered when he turn in an attempt to comfort her.
"Not you too, Sakurachan" he had said in a halfhearted voice as he turned around and left.
She was his team mate, she knew about that side of him and she always thought she was OK with it, yet she had not spoken to him in a while, and those awful rumors of him being dangerous and unstable.
She had not made efforts to get near and he was constantly away. Though at the beginning he would have sought her company he had given up on her some while ago.

No, it was never love, as she thought now of that short lived crush; but she cared for him as a brother and a very close friend. She had been left behind at Naruto's request; and the last she remembered was his back as he walked away with his fist clenched. Still on shock unable to move she felt as Shikamaru had put it once she was a kunoichi with no particular talent and she did not want to do anything on the battlefield after that.
She knew better but well it did not matter anymore.

The final battle against Akatsuki had only 3 surviving witness Jiraiya, the Godaime and Shikamaru and none of them were talking even after this long. The files had been classified as confidential and were only accessible under the authorization of the Hokage and the council. Shikamaru had been cornered many times but he had stated “Troublesome, well the last thing I do remember is being thrown to a wall and passing out” as he showed the scar of the open fracture he had sustained on his left arm.

Even though she was close to the Godaime she was in blank for the subject of Naruto had become taboo.

After their return the Godaime had held a funeral service and announced that the Orochimaru and Akatsuki threats were gone and trying to hold her composure read aloud the list for the death nin. When Uzumaki's name was mention after many, whispers were heard, she was shocked; he always seemed to get away unharmed somehow and that was her normalcy, something had to be terribly wrong. She heard some less that polite whispered comments regarding Naruto that were bluntly shut by some voices she identified as part of the rookie nine. She felt sick and dizzy and had fainted due to all the stress on the previous days.
Many had questioned his inclusion in the cenotaph; some even question whether he should even be considered a Konoha shinobi as always in passer by comments and rumors.
The Godaime had a look of defeat and had shut herself in the Hokage tower, as it was gossiped that Naruto had returned very badly injured and that Tsunade had tried everything to save him and failed.

The look on the Muidaime’s face was unreadable. “I do not know about the Godaime’s intentions regarding this mission. However we do need any help we can get.”


Note. My guess is the final battle will be against Akatsuki, I would not elaborate for I do not know and I wish to keep it as much in canon as possible.
Please review.

Gen'inkekka means causality you will find about more as the story progresses.
Why Muidaime, In Japanese 6 can be pronounced as Roku, riku, mu, mutsu or mui. For some reason Rokudaime sounds odd to me so I went with the Muidaime alternative.
OK, It was brought to my attention by racerx33 that this chapter needed a makeover so reviews will be appreciated. By the way when I wrote this originally I had not gotten to the Sakura gets hurt chapter so that might explain the changes .