Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Gen'inkekka ❯ The Toad and the Witch ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
As Always all Naruto character belong to Kishimoto sensei

Jiraiya took his scrapbook out and a copy of his new book, there laid the events he had compiled his new serial a shinobi’s tale previously titled the Naruto Uzumaki Monogatari however he dropped the name and simply made it a sort of continuation of his old book for confidentiality issues. The book was doing well, not as well as Icha Icha 8 was it?
But well enough particularly among the younger shinobi generations. However there was a scene which was not depicted one that involved a talk between the witch and the toad sensei.

Jiraiya arrived back at Mirai´s camp trying to smuggle a parchment with ramen. He thought that old witch’s idea of discipline was too much and if needed; he will personally pester the jounin degree out of Tsunade. He was surprised by the apparent solitude of the place, he thought they had left but found it odd that none of the protective seals had been activated.
He found Mirai resting in her room dressed in a grey yukata… with were those blood stains?!,
May I come in? he said not wanting to risk her mood swings
“Whatever I am not in the mood for formalities” she answered heavily
“Where is Naruto?” he asked accusingly
“Somewhere on his way to Earth Kingdom border I believe, though I would not be so sure he has some talent for getting lost” she answered
“So you finally tossed him, why I am not surprised” Jiraiya spat
Mirai gave him a bored glance not caring about answering back not wanting to spend any energy on useless discussions
“then what are you doing?” Jiraiya said not fully knowing how to address the question noticing the pallor on Mirai’s face and her disheveled appearance.
“Nursing my own carelessness as you see” she said a bit annoyed. “now if you don’t have anything else to say, would you be so nice as to fetch me some fresh water?” she said probing the waters
“Anything else?” Jiraiya said with a tad of sarcasm.
“Well gauzes and hot water will be nice as well if you please of course” Mirai said deciding she really could use his reluctant help

Jiraiya got all of the things she had requested in order to get some clear answers from her.
“Well anything else?” he finally asked
Mirai just proceeded to change the gauzes on her now exposed belly revealing a life threatening looking gash.
Jiraiya gasped, not wanting to fully imagine what may have happened “Don´t you want Tsunade to look at that?” he asked finally.
Mira laughed wringing in pain afterwards. “No, is not as bad as it was last week, and I once served as a shinobi medical instructor you know”
“And Naruto left you like that?” he asked wanting to get as much information as possible.
“Well, it was my fault I think, and no he didn’t know it was this bad when I sent him away, don’t want to give him another complex” she said while cleaning the gash and injecting it with chakra forcing it to close.
“Where you tinkering with the seal?” he asked remembering his own experience.
Mirai smirked “Talking about experience? no, though I may have miscalculated something; what kind of seal did he had to begin with?” she asked suddenly realizing something
“Maybe I should call a doctor...” Jiraiya suggested
“It would do no good, It shouldn’t have been this bad but that mischievous creature channeled some of its chakra through the blade, can you believe it? Had I not shielded myself I would be in the nether world” she said casually
“By it you mean the kyuubi?” Jiraiya said
“Of course, what kind of seal was it?” Mirai insisted
“I believe is based on shinigami contract, still, why you haven’t requested help baffles me” Jiraiya replied “but what’s with those questions, you were the one who fix it last time ”
“Shinigami…well no that is ironic … but what is done is done” she finished covering the gash and covering it with her blouse.
“Why aren’t you telling him anything again” Jiraiya said using the opportunity to get some information from the reluctant woman
“You know for being considered a sage you are quite naïve” Mirai said drinking some water “you expected a tear jerking reunion perhaps?”
Jiraiya wanted to laugh, “For being such a reliable mother you presume much as well”
“Exactly and I cannot offer either empathy or familiarity and I am not even sure what he is now probably the result of the clans many sins?”
“What do you mean?” answered Jiraiya confused at the comment
“His destiny was to die at birth he is a walking paradox” Mirai said
“I am not following you” Jiraiya replied.
“In a sense I am not the Mirai you used to know, she disappeared when I obtained obtained some immortality seals.”
“You know you sound like Orochimaru no wonder he was such an adept follower” Jiraiya remarked bitterly
“Do not blame that on me his grief made him twisted, he stole information and misunderstood everything or rather understood the shinobi secrets better than most, I did warned Sarutobi about him but nevermind.”
“So you died and I am talking to your spirit and you have forgotten about your family why I am not surprised?” Jiraiya joked
“No I am a living being and memories are information, but I did forsake my feelings as payment for the seals to tell the truth I thought it was a bargain, the old me cracked under the grief and regrets so I took the offer of the previous sage got the seals and got rid of those pesky feelings the down parts is I cannot really relate to Naruto as a member of my family or any human being for that matter the family and love seals got rid of it I have some appreciation for him as fellow living creature a paradoxical one but still living”
“That is something awful” Jiraiya said pondering what would have been his choice at those matters he was not really good at letting things go.
“But it kept me going, I got to keep my ego though so it was not that bad and otherwise I would have already sent you to apologize to Minato in the afterlife.” She said wickedly
“what kind of mother calls his own son traitor” Jiraiya said
“an angry one, I had a very nasty discussion with Minato last time we spoke who knew it will be the last and I knew there was a child on the way so no I don’t regret getting them after all the guilt would be unbearable don’t you think”
Jiraiyas eyes now showed a veiled flare of anger, “You knew and yet did not return on purpose!”
“Not even I would never neglect a duty I was just careless, with Minato dead I had no real reason to return to Konoha and until our cheerful reunion in Konoha I had nothing binding me to Konoha by the time I found out Minato would had be buried with honors and his name inscribed on the cenotaph and since he chose Konoha over his clan so it was no longer my concern. I never heard of Konoha’s shinigami (reaper) having a son”
Jiraiya glared at her “How dare you call him like that?”
“I am above all a sage the keeper of knowledge of the shadow clan and Minato is remembered as the hero by Konoha and as the Angel of death by Konoha’s enemies. As for me not knowing we can thank Sarutobi for that, I know if the news had spread every shinobi village and many clans would have tried to get their hands on Minato’s heir, one of the shadow clan maybe the last one for vengeance or selfish interest so it was a good choice… however you were there too, you had teacher to pupil duties which are as strong as filial one, and I don’t remember Naruto meeting you before he was already a 12 or 13 years old genin having grown up as a pariah in Konoha, what is your excuse?
Jiraiya remained silent he knew Mirai was not really expecting and answer.

That was the last time he spoke with Mirai so openly, their following meetings were of a more formal nature. He did not mention any of those events to the visitors and to tell the truth he had not been in contact for the last 2 years something that concerned him but his health had not help much, perhaps they would be more interested about the white-eyed shinobi he met the following time he visited the camp the following year.

Author’s note
As you have already realized the story has already diverged from the cannon I did not anticipated the most recent deaths and I blame it on the time it took me to return to the story. Though I was planning to start a “I demand a rematch” campaign for Itachi (if you are following the manga you will understand, it seems there is more than meets the eye talking about a major plot twist) I will try to loosely bring it into cannon, but in my story Itachi remains dead and was executed by Konoha and Jiraiya alive, though in anime if you do not actually bury them they are not dead, and in my story even that did not count.
Thanks for reading and reviewing