Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Haunting Pasts ❯ Ch.4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

...
Two days later I was still in the Hidden Leaf. I had been told not to leave the village; I had been given a place to stay, food, and an 'escort'. I had spent a good deal of my now confined time at the hospital checking in on the two still unconscious boys. I had been sent a message the morning of the third day to go see the Hokage. I was curious to see who the new Hokage was after the third's death. I was lead through the Hokage building into the rear office I had remembered visiting for the more urgent talks. My mind flashed to the last time I had been in the room. A week before the fox attacked this village. The night I had left in pursuit of a better way of defeating the demon. And the prices we all paid for our actions. I cleared my mind and let go of that past. I calmed my body and stepped through the entrance to the office. Across the small room from the door (that was quickly shut) was a large table/desk. Behind the desk there was a single swivel chair facing the wall.
*Lord Hokage. I have come as requested. *I announced as I dropped to one knee.
I looked up out of the corner of one eye as I heard the chair turn about. It was the blonde haired woman from the Uchiha estate.
*You may stand. I am Tsunade and I would like to know more about you. *she instructed as she looked more over.
*Tsunade? I remember. You were one of his students. *I said more to myself.
*Who's student? *she asked cocking her eyebrow.
*The fourth's, of course. *I quickly replied.
*Your brother's. *she added.
I winced as I finally realized the reason for this meeting.
*Hanzo Uzumaki. Brother of Arashi Uzumaki. The only known, living relation of Naruto Uzumaki. *she ticked off.
Each title, every name made me feel as if I needed to escape. I began to twitch and fidget in my place before this woman.
*Now I don't know much of your story based off of these reports. Would you care to fill me in. *she stated.
*I had left the village for a way to defeat the nine-tailed fox. *I began.
*But you brother dealt with that. *she pointed out.
*His way didn't work the way he had figured. Originally it would have only cost himself to make the seal work. But he underestimated the demons power and it resulted in a weaker seal and the death of his wife too. Leaving their now demon possessed son alone in a village that would not accept him.*I explained. *I had thought that might happen so I left to find a better way that would not require such sacrifices. *
*But what about the way you had found? *she insisted.
*It was not what I had expected. And it was a little late. *I began.
*Not what you expected. What did you expect from demonic powers? Did you really think you could just get the power you wanted from them for free? *she berated.
*No I would have willingly taken my brother's and his family's place. *I tried to explain.
*Instead you left them in their time of need. You left their orphaned son alone. *she continued.
*I... I couldn't accept their plan. I couldn't take him with me. *I tried.
*Why not? Why couldn't you take him? *she pressed. *Is it because of your dealings with demons? *
*Yes. *I gave in. *Yes. If he had gone with me he would be dead by now. The curse on me has seen to it that any peace I find ends at my own hands. *I trailed on as I looked down into my hands.
*How so? *she asked.
*I'm cursed to be the destructive power of rage incarnate. My very rage allows me the defeat anything in my way. And yet it blinds me to what is in my way and what I protect. I have lost two families because of it. *I explained sadly.
*Two families? *she asked curiously.
*Yes. After the village exiled me for abandoning it and dealing with demons I found a new village. I became just Hanzo, a simple farmer. I soon had my own family. A wife and a small boy. I was at peace. *I remembered with a smile.
*What happened to this family? *Tsunade insisted.
*Our village was small and poor. Far from any center of government. We came under attack by bandits. I stood against them. *I replied as my eyes glazed over.
*So the bandits killed your family? *she guessed.
*No. I did. In the fury of my cursed strength I destroyed the entire village. Killed everyone, bandit, stranger, friend, and family. It's all gone now. All of it buried in my cursed mind. *I finished as I tried to control my breathing.
*I see. I have something to ask you. *Tsunade began.
*To leave and never return. *I interrupted roughly. *Sorry. *I apologized as I looked into her stone hard eyes.
*No. I want you to remain here. I want you to help Naruto and Sasuke. *she finished as she swiveled back around to the wall.
I mauled the words she had just said before I bowed and responded. *Yes lord Hokage. *
...