Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Her Hero ❯ Holding Back ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Her Hero
 
A/N: a songfic inspired by the song “Hero” by Chad Kroeger. A KakaKure pairing. Slight AsuKure too…!! Please review!! Thanks!!
 
Disclaimer: I DON'T OWN THE CHARACTERS AND THE SONG!!!!!
 
.:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:.
 
Chapter I: Holding back
 
“Asuma”
 
He looked away with eyes filled with sadness.
 
“What does it take to be a hero? What does it take to be her hero?” he softly said as a figure from behind came with the sound of a door opened. “Just as I thought. You're to be found here.”
 
“Tsunade-sama's looking for me?” he queried with a surprised tone. A small smile appeared on her face. “No, not really. Your students are bugging me. Always asking me where you are. Do I really look like your nanny?' she said with an exasperated tone. “Seriously. Those kids can't be helped.”
 
“Even your little avenger. I was surprised to see him with Naruto and Sakura.” She said. “He was there? Now, some sense has been put to him. To care for his old sensei.” He replied as he gave a soft smile underneath the mask. Tsuande walked up to the bed side and looked down at the patient. “How's she?” he asked her.
 
“Can't tell. The virus spread is…fast. Attacking her brain cells and nerves first. And then her other organs. That's how it works.” She said in reply. “How…how long would she still be?” he added. “If he returns here tomorrow, she'll do it.”
 
“And if not?” he asked immediately. “I hate doing this but I'm giving her five…five days.” She said with a certain tone. He softly nodded. “I understand.” He whispered. “When I came in, you were asking, what does it take to be her hero. That question, were you asking me that?” she asked as she looked out the window. It was almost night time. The sky was fast darkening and the last rays of the glorious setting sun were fast disappearing. Some stars began to shimmer in the sky. “Why? Can you answer me Tsunade-sama?” he asked with a low tone.
 
“Obviously, you don't have any intention to tell her that.” Tsunade said as she placed her hands on the window sill. “Heh, as if…as if I could. You know very well that I can't do that to him. I've treated him not only as a friend but also as a brother. I can't…do that to him.” He replied as he closed his fist in defeat. Yes, he felt like he's defeated already. Deep inside his heart, she liked her. No, he loved her more than anyone and anything in this cruel world. But someone else loves her the way he does. Asuma. A friend. A brother. Why does it have to be like this? How he wished he could just love any other woman and forget about her completely. Problem is, he can't. He just can't.
 
“I just wanted to be…happy.” He muttered. “Is that a crime?” he added. Tsunade looked down. She had treated him as her own younger brother. She knew very well the pain he had gone through when he lost almost everything back then. Just like what she felt when she lost the two most beloved persons in the war. “Do you think, God is really merciful, Tsunade-sama?” he suddenly asked. “Huh?” she asked in confusion.
 
“They say that God is merciful. He will take away your sadness and pain when you ask Him. He will be there by your side and He will make things fair. But I think…” he stopped.
 
“Kakashi”
 
“I think, he's unfair. He never gave me…the happiness that I wanted. He never listened to the cries of my heart…of my wounded soul. He never listened to me. He's unfair.”
 
“No. He's not like that Kakashi. God…He just wanted to test you. To test if you would really believe that He could do that.”
 
“Isn't my past pain enough?”
 
Tsunade was stopped. “He knows the right time. Just believe in Him.” Kakashi went to the door and held the handle. “Going already?” Tsunade asked. “It's time to go.” He said then walked out. Dead silence.
 
“Asuma” she softly said. Tsunade looked down at her. “He won't even try. That Kakashi.”
 
.:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:.
 
The room was filled with highly skilled medical ninjas and Tsunade when they arrived. Several nurses and other assistant staffs were constantly running in and out the room.
 
“What happened here?” Anko asked a nurse. “Oh, Anko-san. It was an emergency. Kurenai-san's condition became abnormal and worse this morning.” She replied. “What! How did that happened? Weren't the medications enough?” Gai asked. “Uh, that's the reason why Tsuande-sama came.” She replied. “Is that so? Thank you.” Anko said and the nurse went out.
 
“This is terrible! Where in the world is that Asuma?! He should have been here yesterday!” Gai said in fury. “Kurenai's life is at stake! He should be the first in all of us to realize that time is very important in this moment!” he added. “I thought Kakashi here is the only one who doesn't know time management.” Anko mocked to lighten the atmosphere. “Yeah, looks like Asuma got infected.” Gai said.
 
“Guys!” Genma's voice came. “Genma!” Anko said as he came. “I heard about her. How's it doing?” he asked. Anko shook her head. “We don't know yet. They're still busy inside.” She replied. “Has Asuma arrived?” he queried. “No. Not yet.” Kakashi finally said. “Damn. I just hope he's just late because he took some time off.” He said. “Yeah…we hope so…” Gai said.
 
After about one and a half hour, the medical staff went out. The four stood and waited for Tsunade to come out but she didn't. Instead, Shizune came and asked them to come inside the room where Tsunade was waiting.
 
“Tsunade-sama, you called for us?” Gai asked as the door closed. “Yes. It's about Kurenai's condition. And I won't tell everything's alright when it's not.” She frankly said. “What…happened to her?” Anko asked, worry vividly painted in her eyes. “What happened to my friend?” she asked. “Her whole immune system has been infiltrated by the virus. If the cure won't arrive today, her heart would soon be…her heart would be the next target and I'm afraid its condition is bad too.” Tsunade said. “What…” Kakashi said in disbelief.
 
“By now, her condition wouldn't be that bad. I have given her a supportive healing jutsu. But it won't last that long.” She added.
 
Glorious silence wrapped them as the breeze blew outside. Hearty laughter of the villagers could be heard and the day was very tranquil with its advent up to now. It doesn't seem to fit their atmosphere now.
 
.:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:. .:xX::Her.Hero::Xx:.