Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Inner Demons ❯ Sensei and Missions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inner Demons
 
This story follows the path of fan-made character(s), all other characters and plots are not mine and are copyright of Shonen Jump.
This story runs parallel to the original plot. Second attempt of my second self-insert type, first person story. Hope you like.
Warnings! Language, violence, and the standard lot.
Author's note: Hey there I'm changing the original writing style and title of this story for my own weird little reasons that will hopefully make it be a better read. I also may add more to current chaps, add some new ones, or take out existing ones in between or where ever. Thank you for your patience and keep reading.
...
Sensei and Missions
 
I woke with a groan as my eyes slowly opened. I could tell that I was in my bed but the pain still running through my body told me that last night had not just been a bad dream. I heard footsteps and what sounded like grumbling coming up the stairs. I pulled myself up in my bed and tried to keep my head from spinning. The door to my room opened and gramps walked in holding a small package.
"What's that?" I asked as he moved over by my bed.
"Open it and you would find out." gramps simply replied as he handed me the package.
I opened it slowly until I came across the glint of metal. I looked up at gramps who simply nodded. I ripped the rest of the paper away to find myself looking at the headband of the Hidden Leaf Village.
"But how? I never took the exam. I missed it." I babbled.
"I had words with Hokage and he agreed." gramps explained. "Now get dressed. Your sensei is waiting down stairs. Welcome to a ninja's life." gramps exclaimed waving his stick about.
"Uh. Who's my sensei?" I asked as I jumped out of bed and began to go through my clothes across my floor.
"One of ours I'm happy to say. Even if you become ninja doesn't mean you shouldn't learn under one of ours." gramps grumbled as he left my room.
'One of ours? What does that mean?' I wondered as I finished dressing.
I looked down at the headband still sitting next to my bed on the nightstand. I grinned and picked it up. Now I was a ninja. I decided to tie it around my neck so that it fell just over my chest, to show my life, as a ninja would be to protect those close to me from anything, even myself. I took one last look in my mirror before I heard gramps shout for me to hurry up. I dashed down the stairs and collided with the rather large frame of a man. I crashed to the floor as the man turned and looked back at my mother and gramps.
"I think he has come down now." he said with a grin.
He reached down and helped me up. It was then that I got my first good look at him. He was tall and broad. His black hair fell across his single exposed eye. The other eye had a single metal patch placed over it. His face showed heavy wear and tear. He looked familiar some how.
"So you are Solken's son? Stand tall so I can look at ya." he commanded.
I stood as tall as I could and looked the man in the eye.
"Ha. He is defiantly the boss's son." the man laughed.
"Boss?" I said cocking my head to one side.
"Is what we called your father. He was our leader. But in my excitement I have forgotten my manners. My name is Zulen. What is yours?" he said holding out a hand.
"Solus. Did you say you were Zulen?" I asked lightly shaking his hand.
"Yes. I was part of your father's team." Zulen replied.
"Ah. What are you doing here now then?" I asked stupidly.
CRACK!
I fell to the floor with a thud and an ARGH as I grabbed at the back of my head.
"How rude of a question. He is clan. He is welcome at all times." gramps snorted.
"HAHAHA. I remember when you did that to us as kids." Zulen laughed deeply.
CRACK!
"ARGH!" Zulen let out as he dropped to the ground in front of me gripping the back of his head.
"You still child compared to me." gramps grumbled.
"I think we should go back to my son's question." mom interrupted, trying to hold back giggles. "He is the man that the Hokage has approved to be your jonnin sensei." she told me.
I looked up into the big man's eye as he nodded his head.
"That is correct and I have our first mission." Zulen replied.
"Really! What is it?!" I exclaimed as I jumped to my feet excitably.
He unrolled a scroll and read from it. "We are to help de-weed farmers two hundred acre field."
"What?! How can that be a ninja mission? That's just a stupid..." I began to complain.
CRACK!
"Every journey starts with the smallest of steps." gramps replied as I grabbed the back of my head as mom and Zulen sweat dropped but kept silent.
...
A few days passed as Zulen and I filled out several low rank missions that were slowly driving me mad. In this time I only saw the other kids from the academy in passing. But I also began to notice the stares I was getting from people more often.
"Hey Zulen-sensei. Only you, gramps, and mom know about me right?" I asked the larger man one time on our way back from some mission to retrieve a cat.
"Yes, this is true." he responded as he looked down at me. "Why do you ask?"
"Well, I've kind of noticed people giving me funny looks." I replied scratching my head. "I can't seem to see why."
"Well, you did have that little outburst the day you went to the academy." Zulen pointed out.
"Yeah I know. But I was getting them right before then and it seemed like I could hear what they were saying too." I admitted.
"And what was that?" Zulen asked.
"Well something about defending a beast or something like that." I told him.
"Beast?" Zulen stopped as he scratched his head.
"What do you think they meant?" I asked as I looked up at him worriedly.
"Hm. Who did you speak with that day? I mean directly to. Someone you stood up for?" Zulen asked as he looked into my eyes.
"Well, there was that kid Naruto who they seemed to poke fun at. I thought he was kind of fun." I replied.
"That's what I thought it would have to be." Zulen sighed as he placed a hand on my shoulder and led me off the path, into the nearby trees.
"What? What is it?" I asked as I looked about.
"It is your friend Naruto." Zulen replied as he motioned me to sit.
He sat in front of me and thought for a second.
"Twelve years ago nine-tailed fox attacked this area. You know this right." I nodded. "You know Fourth Hokage defeated it." I nodded again looking puzzled, not sure what this had to do with anything. "What you probably don't know was how. Fourth sealed demon in person with pure soul. Only person with pure soul could contain the demons twisted soul. Thing is only newborns have truly pure souls." he explained.
"Then who had the demon placed into them?" I asked.
"You already know him. You probably even already felt it. You just didn't know. " Zulen replied as he looked away.
"Wait. You can't mean Naruto. He isn't anything like a demon." I spluttered.
"Of course not. It is his pure soul that contains the demon. It is because he is such a good person so far that the demon has not caused more damage." Zulen answered.
"Then that means he would be a good person. So why does everyone avoid him?" I asked as I tried to think myself.
"People fear what they do not know. They do not know that Naruto and fox are separate. They do not know that Naruto is the one thing between them and utter destruction. They fear and mistrust him. And so their feelings wash over their children who ignore and shun the poor boy. And because you have befriended him they will now shun you." Zulen finished with a sigh.
"That's just not fair!" I shouted.
"Nothing is fair. But if he has someone like you as a friend then he is lucky. You may both help each other with your problems and you both may prove yourselves to this village." Zulen said with a smile.
"Damn right!" I shouted shaking a fist.
"HA! Now where did you learn that?" Zulen laughed as he stood.
"Well... uh..." I stammered.
"HA! Don't worry. I won't tell your mom." Zulen laughed again as he helped me to my feet. "Now I think we should get to the house and rest. I have feeling we'll have busy day tomorrow." Zulen predicted as we stepped back on to the path.
...
The next day I woke bright and early and got dressed. I ran down stairs to see what Zulen and I would be doing today. As I reached the bottom of the stairs I only saw my mother sitting at the table.
"Ah. Where's Zulen-sensei?" I asked as I walked over and snagged a biscuit from the table.
"He said he was going to the Hokage to get your next assignment." mom replied as she placed her dishes in the sink.
"I wonder if it will be something more then the past ones." I said through a mouthful of biscuit.
CRACK!
I fell to the floor clutching my head and chocking on my biscuit. Gramps stepped around me and climbed into his chair.
"Talking with mouth full. You would think he still little kid." he grumbled as mom placed a bowl of soup in front of him.
"Oh gramps, go easy on him. He's just a little excited." mom said as she stepped over to the closet.
She pulled out a heavy tan jacket and a kunai holder. She pulled on the jacket and strapped the holder to her thigh. She then turned and took one of the larger naginata from the wall.
"Ah. Mom? What are you doing?" I asked looking at the display of weapons she was now carrying with ease.
"Oh. Zulen told me I might be going with you on this one." she replied as she sat down and sharpened the naginata.
"Going with me? What do you mean?" I asked as I watched nervously.
"Well he said something about getting you a better mission and I thought I'd just tag along." she said looking up as the door flew open.
"Hey there kid, Yoko. I've got us good one this time." Zulen announced as he pulled the scroll from his shirt. "We are to aid Team 7 in their mission to Land of Waves."
"Woo. Really?" I said in disbelieve.
"Yes, really. Now hurry up. We leave as soon as we can." Zulen ordered as he looked down at mom. "Ah. I see you already set." he sweat dropped as he looked over the weapon selection my mom had chosen.
"Always be prepared." she replied with a smile.
CRACK!
I fell to the floor again as the lump in the back of my head increased in size.
"Did you not hear him? Hurry up and get your stuff." gramps ordered as I went upstairs and Zulen and mom sweat dropped.
I quickly got together clothes, blanket, and all those other things you need on your basic trip. I ran back downstairs and outside where mom and Zulen waited.
"So how long are we going to be gone?" I asked as I stopped by them.
"About week or more." Zulen replied as he stood.
"See you later grandpa." mom called to gramps.
"Yeah, yeah. Just make sure you don't screw up. I don't want to have to come and save you kids." gramps shouted back as he waved his cane about.
'Man I can't wait.' I thought happily as we walked toward the gates to meet up with Team 7 and start my first real mission.
...