Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Just the Three of Us ❯ Catching Up ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Okay! I'm sure by now you guys have noticed my little spike in updates? Inspiration rules! And than there was when I was lucky enough to put 2 updates in one day. Just depends on what I had planned for the story I was typing. I wonder how long it'll take me to type this one up. Let's see, right now it's 1:32 pm. At the end of the chapter, I'll put the end time. So ya know, I take breaks. Ha ha ha! In this chapter, the trio will be 15 years old! Well, enjoy! -listening to Anemone by Mai Nakahara-
 
-----
 
Disclaimer: I own no one. They all belong to Masashi Kishimoto.
 
-----
 
Catching Up
 
-----
 
Thuds were heard ever so often, a sigh accompanying them. Sometimes there would be a clang, an item hitting the dirt. With that, there would be groans, footsteps walking over to pull out the kunai.
 
There were a group of people at the training grounds, a yawn coming from one of them. Another was munching on a bag of chips, sharing with his friend who laid beside him. One girl was trying to meditate, failing miserably. Two boys were fighting against a girl, who seemed to be distracted as she fended off their attacks. To another side were two other guys, one dodging as the other incessantly kept kicking, yelling with each punch. The girl who was practicing with her kunai stared blankly at everyone. They've forgotten the last time they all received a mission.
 
According to rumors, their village did receive letters for help, only to find out the problem was solved by someone else. Whenever the client was asked who they were helped by, the village got different answers. Some would say a perverted man with a hyperactive blonde. Others would say an intimidating man with a stoic boy. Everyone else said it was two women of different ages who had very hot tempers.
 
To put it simply, it was as if they were never needed. The only missions most shinobi were given were VERY low leveled. It was really making them restless. If this went on any longer, they were bound to snap.
 
“Ahh! I can't take this anymore!” Everyone paused in their activities, staring at the blonde, Ino. “I'm getting sick and tired of taking care of little kids who's whining over a little scratch! Sure, it's great and all it's rare for a ninja to get a serious injury, but come on already!” Gathering her courage, one of the other girls, Hinata, walked up to her and gently placed her hand on Ino's shoulder.
 
“W-Well…Think about it Ino. With s-so little missions, d-doesn't that mean the countries are coming into peace with one another?” Yes, it did sound nice at the moment. Peace. No more fighting. No pointless deaths. No one would have to suffer. Which brought up a revelation. There would no longer be a requirement for ninjas. None. They knew it would happen someday, but not so soon.
 
“Peace? Ha! Don't make me laugh. The reason we're stuck here is because of these jerks who are stealing all our missions!” Kiba had a point. Then was that fact that screamed in their faces, which had them all thinking again.
 
“You know, don't they sound familiar? The teens I mean. Remember the descriptions?” They looked at Lee, who actually said something smart, and not using the…WORD.
 
“A blonde who keeps rambling on and on about being the best, acts before thinking, and drools at the word ramen.”
 
“Someone stoic who gives the cold shoulder and only answers in grunts, attacking his opponents with brutality.”
 
“A girl who seems innocent and sweet at first, until they do or say something offensive, getting the daylights pounded out of them.”
 
Their eyes widening, everyone struck their hand with their fist, speaking at the same time.
 
Team 7!”
 
“Wow, didn't know we were so famous! Right Sasuke, Sakura?”
 
Slowly, the group turned, looking up into a tree to see three teenagers with blonde, black, and pink hair staring down at them with different expressions. A grin, a smirk, and a friendly smile.
 
-----
 
Shouts were a norm in the restaurant, one person always trying to talk over the noise, causing another person to talk louder, than another, and so on. This group in particular was trying to ignore those in the background, only paying attention to receive their food and drinks. They were at a large table, made up of two to fit the number of people, 12. Most of their attention was on the newcomers, Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. They looked so different, yet the same. Two years could really change someone.
 
“So, was it really you guys?” The trio blankly stared at them, having forgotten there were others.
 
“What do you mean by that?” Neji silently sighed, fixing his posture.
 
“What Kiba meant is was it you three who have been wandering across the land helping those in need?” Digesting the question, the three looked at each other, than back at the others.
 
“Uhm…we don't know what we've been doing. The three of us just met up in town today.” The ninja were only more curious.
 
“Just met up? You guys were separated?” Sakura nodded her head.
 
“Yeah. Two years ago, we met the Sannin at an inn, and Kakashi-sensei convinced them to take us as their pupils for 2 years. Seeing the training period is over, they brought us back here to Konoha. We bumped into each other, and decided to look for you guys, that way we wouldn't have to repeat ourselves, knowing a few people would want to know how the three of us have been doing.” They soaked it in, pondering on where to start. Then just as quickly, they froze as they came to a realization.
 
“THE SANNIN TOOK YOU GUYS AS THEIR PUPILS!?”
 
So much for it being a quiet homecoming.
 
-----
 
It took them a while, but they finally managed to get away from the…intruders. They should've stuck to Sasuke's idea. Lay low for a few days, THAN let their…well; SAKURA'S friends know they were back. She couldn't help but feel ashamed for forcing them to reveal themselves.
 
“Eh heh…sorry you two. I didn't know things would go so out of hand.” Naruto just gave her a big grin while Sasuke ruffled her hair, making her pout at him. She fixed the ribbon, adjusting the necklace so it was in front of her on the chest instead of behind on her back. Falling onto her back, she gazed up at the stars, sighing at the softness of the grass. She felt her friends join her on each side, heart emanating off their bodies. “So, how have things been with you guys?”
 
“Hmph! Pervy sage always left me all by myself. Never giving advice or anything! All he did was spend all my money to buy sake and hang out with all these ladies that wear all these scanty clothes. It was terrible!” Sakura was cringing at the thought, Sasuke chuckling to himself. “That's not funny! Why don't you tell your part!?”
 
“Why should I?” Naruto only yelled, about to get up when Sakura tugged him back down.
 
“Sasuke, want me to tell mine first?” He shrugged, Sakura taking it as a yes. “Well, mine wasn't so good either really. Sure, I caught on quickly when it came to healing, although it took me a few tries at first. But when it came to fighting…” She shivered. “She was like a monster. She would keep attacking me without a single break, keeping at it until I collapsed from exhaustion.”
 
“Wow…and I thought I had it bad…well! Your turn!” Sasuke merely rolled his eyes, but began speaking anyway.
 
“He would train me physically first to prepare me for the new technique he'd be teaching me. When he thought I was ready, he'd demonstrate how it was done, and have me do the same. Once he believes I knew it by heart, he'd repeat the process and start teaching me another technique.” Naruto and Sakura were sitting up, staring at him.
 
“Lucky bastard…”
 
“I heard that you know. Idiot.”
 
“Hey!”
 
“Knock it off you two. We haven't seen each other for years. So let's just…enjoy each other's company.” Sticking out his tongue, Naruto laid back down, Sakura doing the same. The rest of the night, they just stared at the endless night sky.
 
-----
 
They've spent the next few weeks dodging the group, also avoiding those who were filled with envy. Each corner they turned at had more waiting, lunging at them, missing by a hair. As each day ticked by, they grew more and more irritated. When it went too far, as in men grabbing something VERY inappropriate…in a female's hot spring. The trio went straight to the Hokage, ready to rant when they were stunned to see Tsunade sitting in his place.
 
Sarutobi had gathered the Sannin to choose who would be his successor. When he told them the reason, the men instantly pushed Tsunade forward. Before she could argue with them, they interrupted her.
 
“You know I'm too lazy for this paperwork, and I'm not exactly the most responsible person either. Who knows what kind of decisions I'd make.”
 
“As for me I have no interest in such a position. Instead I wish to continue to travel while learning new techniques to add onto my arsenal.”
 
“You've GOT to be kidding me.”
 
“Nope! Orochimaru and I had long decided to leave you with the village while we, the men, get to go wherever we want without having you on our backs.”
 
With that, Tsunade was training to be the next Hokage. The ceremony would be coming within a week. Undeterred, the teens demanded they be released out of the village and allowed to return to where they once resided, the small cabin they had called home when they were still kids.
 
-----
 
Shadows became on with the walls, silently creeping deeper into the home. They crept closer to their goal, signaling each other as they came upon a closed door. Quietly, they opened it, grateful it didn't squeak. They snuck inside, eyes intent on a figure in a bed. Inching bit by bit, they were before the bed, nodding at each other. Ready to pounce, they jumped up-
 
Just to be caught in a net.
 
“What the!? Hey! No fair Kakashi-sensei!” The figure started laughing, sitting up in the bed as he eyed his former students.
 
“Well, well, well. What do we have here? A loudmouth, an ice cube, and a kitten.”
 
“A…kitten?” He closed his eye.
 
“Yes. Kittens may look cute, but they can easily scratch your face off.” The two were still yelling at him, Sasuke trying to figure out how to get out the net. About to cut a hole, Kakashi threw a kunai at a rope hidden in a corner, all three of them falling to the floor. “Now, shall we have lunch? I'm sure you're hungry from all that running around Konoha.”
 
Naruto quickly forgot his rotten mood, jumping at the word lunch. Stomachs growling, Sasuke and Sakura blushed. It was as Kakashi said. They haven't had a chance to have a real meal, always being discovered after only a few bites.
 
“I hope you still have some ramen.”
 
“Oh no you don't Naruto! I'm doing the cooking, so you wait with Sasuke and Kakashi-sensei! Uhm, you DO have groceries, right?” With a simple nod, she dragged them all out of the house. “Go train, I'll let you know when it's ready.” That said, she slammed the door shut, the lock heard. Naruto started to mope, Sasuke shrugging and walking to the back. After a while, Naruto followed, hearing small mumbles of Sakura's threats through the door. Kakashi merely smiled underneath his mask.
 
“Just like old times.”
 
-----
 
A/N: Sorry guys, no romance yet. BUT it should start in, let's say the NEXT chapter? -smirks- Hope you all enjoyed it! I hurt my back over it. Let's see…next is…the sequel to Glasses Fetish! I bet you who read/watch Bleach are cheering for joy right now, aren't you? Expect it to be up either later today, or tomorrow. Depends on my mood. Let's see, it is now 4:08 pm. And I took…4 breaks. Break time differs for each break. I just read a story at fanfiction, than continue writing when I finish that one story. Two of them were pretty long. One of them made me cry. -sniffles- Why did she have to die!? Err…excuse me…buh-bye for now…-continues sniffling- Unrequited love…