Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Life Is Wicked ❯ How Could This Happen To Me? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1: How Could This Happen To Me?
 
Naruto had noticed that Neji was unusually silent and hadn't even bothered himself with being cynical towards Lee for the past few days. The young fox demon was on his way now to check on how he was. Naruto had to admit that he wasn't friends with Neji, but his way of the ninja was to cheer his fellow ninjas when they were down and to fight alongside them in anything.
 
~
 
(Neji Hyuuga's POV)
 
I wished with everything I had that Hirashi would come back, but she never did. Never before had I felt so alone in the world, not even when my father died, because I had been younger then, and that had been a different kind of love. The dreams I had every night for months after Hirashi had died were horrible; I was haunted with images of what the time allotted her before her death must have been like, crushed as her lower body was below two metric tons of wood, rock, and shingles. I didn't know how she had escaped unburned, and never would. Whenever I thought of her, one image always came to my mind: the moment when she gave me her lucky hair tie, the look on her face when I took it from her. Only a month after this happened did I realize that Hirashi had loved me for as long as she had lived.
 
I still wear her hair tie around my wrist as a memento to what might have been between us.
 
~
 
(Normal POV)
 
Naruto stumbled upon Neji as the Hyuuga prodigy and Gai-sensei were talking-or arguing, rather. “Get out of my way, you homosexual pedophile,” Neji growled, his face a mask.
 
“But you should not be miserable! It is not the destiny of youth!” Gai answered; he gave the brown-haired teen his thumbs-up and smile.
 
“Don't talk to me of destiny,” the Hyuuga prodigy retorted. “You know nothing of destiny, you asexual beast.” Neji turned around only to find Naruto behind him. “What do you want, fox demon?”
 
Naruto smiled weakly. “Are you okay? I mean, you've been quiet, and you haven't even been mean to Lee...is something wrong?” The fox demon shrugged. “Everyone's worried, and so am I, even though we're not friends.”
 
The look on Neji's face told Naruto, loud and clear, to back off. “You don't know half of what I'm going through, so you'd better get lost,” the young member of the Hyuuga clan growled. “I don't care about your pretenses, and I couldn't care less about what you think-if you even do. So get lost, you worthless fox-nin, and don't bother me again. Or I'll dispose of you the way I did Hinata.”
 
I open my eyes
I try to see but I'm blinded by the white light
I can't remember how
I can't remember why
I'm lying here tonight
And I can't stand the pain
And I can't make it go away
No, I can't stand the pain
 
Naruto stared at Neji, his eyes wide with shock and anger. “H-hey, I'm trying to help you out!” the fox-nin yelled at his arch-enemy. “We're not friends, but at least I'm trying to be nice!”
 
“I don't care,” Neji hissed. “You are nothing to me but someone that I'm going to dispose of sooner or later-preferably sooner. You may try to act nice, but I don't care anymore. It's too late for that-from you or from anyone.” Naruto was about to come back with a biting retort when Gai stepped in.
 
“Now, now, you two shouldn't be fighting like this!” Gai exclaimed. “It's not youth! And you only get to be young once, so enjoy it!”
 
How could this happen to me?
I've made my mistakes
Got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I'm fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me?
 
Naruto and Neji both turned on Gai. “Quiet, fool,” Neji growled. “You and your talk of youth-it bothers me to no end.” Naruto and Gai both sensed that Neji was getting pissed; they backed away from him. “Byakugan!” Neji roared, his Byakugan activating. Yet, this time, the effects were more extreme than anyone had ever seen them.
 
Neji's pupilless lavender eyes were filled with lines; his temples throbbed so much that Naruto and Gai could feel the air vibrating slightly around them. They both knew that this was not going to be good.
 
Everybody's screaming
I try to make a sound but no one hears me
I'm slipping off the edge
I'm hanging by a thread
I wanna start this over again
So I try to hold
On to a time when
Nothing mattered
And I can't explain
What happened and I can't erase the things that I've done
No I can't
 
The Hyuuga prodigy attacked them, his Gentle Fist attack sending them both sprawling. Naruto, his back pushed up against a wall, slowly opened one eye and got up, groaning. “Okay!” he yelled at Neji. “If that's how you want to fight, keep it coming!” He was only groping for time, though; he knew that he couldn't hope to defeat Neji, no matter how hard he tried. Neji's defeat would have to wait until Gai-sensei was well enough to get up.
 
Neji went on the defensive, and Naruto knew that he had to attack the male teen before he got away from him. He didn't have much of a chance, though; Neji was much stronger then he, especially with his Byakugan activated. A whole hell of a lot stronger; the only way that Naruto had been able to defeat Neji in the Chunin exams was because Neji had gotten him pissed off enough to start activating certain chakra points that would draw out the power of the nine-tailed fox demon within him. Neji knew that; Naruto could see that from his eyes.
 
“I'm not chancing getting you pissed off,” hissed the Hyuuga prodigy. “I'm just going to defeat you. SIXTY-FOUR POINTS OF CHAKRA!” Naruto put up his fists in a futile attempt to defend himself from Neji's Sixty-Four Points of Chakra attack, but it was useless. Neji's cries of “One point! Two points! Four points! Eight points! Sixteen points! Thirty-two points! Sixty-four points!” were soon ringing out across the entire academy. And there was no one there to help him.
 
How could this happen to me?
I've made my mistakes
Got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I'm fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me?
 
Naruto's whole body was covered in what might be classified as chicken pox if a non-nin was watching the fight. But, unfortunately, the red bumps covering Naruto was not chicken pox, nor was it any other disease. His chakra points were all blocked; he was unable to summon up any attack that might help him; Naruto knew when to give up. He backed off from Neji, holding up his hands. “Sorry,” the twelve-year-old said. Neji just glared at him.
 
I've made my mistakes
Got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I'm fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me?
 
~
 
(Neji Hyuuga's POV)
 
After that, I never fought again. I gave up the way of the ninja, but I did not give up the way of life. Not until I found out what had truly happened on the night the fire started did I decide to return to the hidden ninja ways. Unfortunately, that was almost a year later, and I was unable to avenge Hirashi's death.