Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Life Without Her ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was the weekend, and Sasuke was trying to figure out something to do. His daughters, Misa and Takada, were staying with his in-laws for the day. Even Sasuke needed an occasional break from parenting. He'd since put all their pictures of Ino in the attic, except the one in his room; the girls simply got too upset when they saw a picture of their mother.

He suddenly heard a knock at the door. If it was a door-to-door salesman, or yet another relative claiming to know how he felt, there was going to be violence. He went up to the door and opened it. It was Naruto.

"What brings you here?" Sasuke asked.

"So now I need a reason to visit?" said Naruto.

"I suppose you may as well come in."

They went into the living room.

"Would you like something to drink?" asked Sasuke.

"Thanks, Sasuke!" replied Naruto. He looked inside the refrigerator. "What? You don't have any Coke or Pepsi, or anything like that?"

"We've never cared for carbonated drinks."

"Oh well." Naruto decided to settle for lemonade. He then went back into the living room. "Since it's just us, how about we go out and do something."

"Okay, then," Sasuke said. "I've been needing to get away from work and family."

"Sorry to ask, but could we go in your car? I, well, sort of forgot to budget for gas this month."

"You're kidding, right? Alright, but next time we do this you drive."

"We have a deal! So, do you have any ideas?"

"Ideas? You mean you haven't thought of anything for us to do?" Sasuke thought for a moment. "How about we have Choji come along with us? If it's just us, people might think we're on a date."

"You? Me? On a... " Naruto laughed. "That's priceless! Y'know, maybe it'll be more fun with other people around. While we're at it, how about we ask Gaara too?"

"That sounds good. Maybe the four of us can decide on something."

"Hey, Sasuke," said Naruto, "I don't see your daughters anywhere."

"They're staying with my in-laws," Sasuke replied.

"I'm glad they're willing to do that. My in-laws still haven't forgiven me for what happened to Sakura." A moment passed. "Sorry, didn't mean to be a mood-killer."

"Don't be sorry. I've also had my share of family-related stress." Sasuke hesitated for a moment. "I just got a letter from my older brother, Itachi."

"That's good, isn't it?"

"No. He ran away a long time ago, and in the letter he sent me he's confessed to being a member of the Akatsuki."

Naruto couldn't believe it. "Do you know where he is?"

"Unfortunately, he made sure there'd be no way of knowing his whereabouts. Actually, the letter was also addressed to you. He's offering to return Ino and Sakura to us."

"I suppose there's a catch."

"Indeed." Sasuke looked Naruto right in the eye. "In order for us to get our wives back, we'll have to join the Akatsuki."