Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Life Without Her ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Two months had passed since Itachi sent his letter to Sasuke and Naruto. As he expected, they refused his "invitation" to join the Akatsuki. In truth, that letter was a test of their principles. Had they given in, he would've killed them and their wives as punishment for such weakness. As it was, he would continue to enjoy Sakura and Ino's company. It was his hope that one day they'd feel the same way.

He had to put this out of his mind, though, so he could focus on his current task. He was to locate Orochimaru, and attempt to recruit him. This would be difficult; ever since Anko's rescue, Orochimaru had been careful not to attract attention to himself. Itachi would just have to search all of his target's old hiding places.

Or not - the man he was looking for was standing right behind him.

"Were you looking for me?" said Orochimaru. Next to him was a man wearing glasses.

"Who's this?" asked Itachi.

"C'mon," Orochimaru said, "don't be rude."

The other man adjusted his glasses. "The name's Kabuto," he said.

"So, Orochimaru," said Itachi, "I see you now prefer male company."

"Were you looking for me just to pick a fight?" asked Orochimaru.

"No. Sadly, I'm here on business."

"If it's about the Akatsuki, tell your superiors I'm not interested."

"If you're not doing anything, could you at least hear me out?"

"Sure, why not? Just don't take my acceptance for granted."

Itachi, Orochimaru and Kabuto decided to spent the night at a hotel where they'd discuss the matter. Kabuto got two rooms for them, Itachi having insisted on his own room. The next morning, it became clear that getting Orochimara to join was a lost cause. Itachi thanked him for their time and they went their separate ways.

On his way back to the hideout, Itachi thought back to when he first joined the Akatsuki. It was shortly after he killed his parents. He had his reasons for doing so, but he knew Sasuke would never understand. So he left and went from town to town for a while. It was during his wanderings that he met an Akatsuki member. It took some convincing, but he was eventually allowed into the organization. With his talent and determination, he quickly rose up the ranks. Now he was in charge of all operations in his area. Tenten's escape was one of his few failures, and he was still trying to live it down.

His mind was brought back to the present when he noticed he was back at the hideout. He got out, only to be greeted by a lower-ranking member.

"Is there something you wanted?" Itachi asked.

"I just got word from our police contact," said the other member. "Orochimaru and Kabuto just turned themselves in."

Itachi realized what this could mean; Orochimaru might be telling the police what he'd heard about the Akatsuki in exchange for leniency.

"We'll have to move to another hideout," Itachi said. "Let's move everything we'll need to the trucks! I and one of the other men will get the women."

"Understood. I'll handle the equipment."

Within half an hour they were ready to leave. Ino and Sakura would be riding in one of the trucks; Sakura still hadn't taken off her wedding dress, which would make it impractical to put her in any of the cars. As soon as they were ready, Itachi gave the word and they left.

"I'm going to miss our old place," he said. "I suppose that's what we get for trying to deal with a snake."

Still, the place they were heading for wasn't that bad either. Itachi instead thought about whether he should have Orochimaru killed for his treachery.