Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Pure Agony ❯ A Painful Truth ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Painful Truth
-drives even the fiercest of people to insanity-
 
Summary: Realizing the rather heart wrenching truth about Sasuke's past, Naruto searches through his memories to find how Sasuke became what he did. And how he could have been so stupid to not have figured it out so long ago.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
 
It all made sense now. The reason he was completely obsessed with the thought of killing his brother. The moment he obtained the Mangekyou Sharingan, it drove him into the insanity that is his present self. For years on end, it tortured him. That's why he was always after Itachi. So that his brother could kill him, and end his pain. The Mangekyou wasn't a powerful blessing; it was a curse.
 
I chuckled to myself in such away that it felt like I might cry.
 
He had dropped me so many hints; given me so many clues. The only thing he hadn't done was say it.
 
I always wondered, ever since my friend took me to this place, why he had shared so much of his dreaded past. The scenes he projected with his words. From happy moments with his family, to the terrifying time of the Uchiha's ultimate demise.
 
`…what have you done?' Itachi had whispered in seductive tones.
 
He had expressed such a look of hatred, his icy tone freezing my heart as he said the very words that Itachi had easily spoken not more than four years earlier. I hadn't understood why Itachi would say that, as if it hadn't been himself who murdered his family.
 
Oh, but it made sense now.
 
Itachi had been the pride of the Uchiha clan. No, not just the clan, the entire Leaf Village. Isolated and unloved, the lonely eight-year-old boy must have created an alternate personality out of his rage and sorrow.
 
And that very night, the night that still haunts my nightmares though I had not been there, while the real boy slept, he was awakened.
 
His alternate murdered everyone in sight with his newly developed Sharingan. And with each kill, the Mangekyou Sharingan grew stronger.
 
Once he had finished, he must have run off to the academy, erasing his real self's memories of the last however many hours so that he wouldn't be confused as to why he wasn't in his bed.
 
The real boy came back as the other malevolent boy disappeared into the black depths of his mind.
 
It explained the boy's fear at seeing everyone dead, their bodies strewn across the compound. Why he had thought it had been Itachi as he was the only one left, just having returned from an ANBU mission.
 
Of course, Itachi wasn't as innocent as this may prove. Itachi, after all, had left the village. Even if he hadn't had any choice in that matter, he joined the Akatsuki and had tried to kill myself and in the process, tried to take Kyuubi from me.
 
The Valley of the End. Strange how it all seemed to come back to that moment. Seeing everything in a new perspective, I can now differentiate from what I thought had happened, and what actually occurred.
He already had the Mangekyou when I had fought him; he just made himself forget…
... what he did...
…to do so…
He had left the village; using the excuse of Itachi and Orochimaru, because he had remembered what it was he did.
He had probably wondered for four years how he had obtained the Mangekyou, but keeping it to himself because somewhere deep inside, he knew.
And then Orochimaru came, placing a curse on him, and in the process, reawakening his alternate.
The one I had fought that day was not my best friend, but rather, a malicious combination of the two persons in one body.
The insanity that is my friend today is not the man I fell in love with, but the demon that feeds on fear and stalks my thoughts.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
Well, here is the second and probably last chapter to Memories of an Agonizing Truth, whose title I just thought of. If I get three or so people who would like me to make one last chapter, maybe a big fight and confession scene between Sasuke and Naruto, I will. Otherwise, this is it. I hope you enjoyed this fanfiction.
~Akira-sama~
Ja ne